Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrigaline Western Relief Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

This has now gone to construction I believe. There was a pottery fund yesterday. Hopefully it won’t hold up construction too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭cantalach

This has now gone to construction I believe. There was a pottery fund yesterday. Hopefully it won’t hold up construction too much.

Construction hasn’t started. The ongoing advance works are specifically to remove the old pottery :) The proposed route is through the site of Carrigaline Pottery which closed in the late ‘70s.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tenders have now been received and contract award will happen before end 2020 subject to funding

There’s service diversion works ongoing along the route at the minute

How much of an effect on Carrigaline traffic do ye think this will have? To me it seems the main thing it will do is divert traffic from the south of the town towards the various rat runs towards the city to the west of the town, and perhaps effectively use the R613 as an outer N40 to get traffic to the N27 and the N71.

It doesn’t provide much relief to the main route through the town as traffic has to rejoin the R611 at the Court Hotel.

The Janeville lights and the crossroads on the Relief Road seem to be the 2 major pinch points and these are completely unaddressed here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

marno21 wrote: »
    Tenders have now been received and contract award will happen before end 2020 subject to funding

There’s service diversion works ongoing along the route at the minute

How much of an effect on Carrigaline traffic do ye think this will have? To me it seems the main thing it will do is divert traffic from the south of the town towards the various rat runs towards the city to the west of the town, and perhaps effectively use the R613 as an outer N40 to get traffic to the N27 and the N71.

It doesn’t provide much relief to the main route through the town as traffic has to rejoin the R611 at the Court Hotel.

The Janeville lights and the crossroads on the Relief Road seem to be the 2 major pinch points and these are completely unaddressed here

Yeah but a lot of people are using those back-roads like Captains Boreen, Forest Road, Ballea Road now so it should make things a little safer there hopefully.

The main things I can see that would help the town would be dealing with the amount of parking accessed directly from the main street.

I don't see anything in this plan that will help in that respect. It's just another development/sprawl facilitator really as far as I can see.
    If you even look at Carrigaline on Google Maps, the amount of surface area given to car parking in the town is enormous. What are you going to get on the main street when you have a couple of thousand car parking spaces accessed directly from that main street?

If the new road was used as the only entrance to some of these car parks, it might help.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah but a lot of people are using those back-roads like Captains Boreen, Forest Road, Ballea Road now so it should make things a little safer there hopefully.

The main things I can see that would help the town would be dealing with the amount of parking accessed directly from the main street.

I don't see anything in this plan that will help in that respect. It's just another development/sprawl facilitator really as far as I can see.
    If you even look at Carrigaline on Google Maps, the amount of surface area given to car parking in the town is enormous. What are you going to get on the main street when you have a couple of thousand car parking spaces accessed directly from that main street?

If the new road was used as the only entrance to some of these car parks, it might help.
    Isn't there a link from the new road to the car park at the back of SuperValu/the shopping centre? That's an excellent point about the car parking - it will help.

My main issue is the signalised junction beside the Court Hotel where this new road docks, and the associated effect on the roundabout. It does little for getting through traffic out of the urban area which is a major issue imo.

Then again, such a measure (a full route around the town) would likely only facilitate further sprawl and make the overall situation worse.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a link from the new road to the car park at the back of SuperValu/the shopping centre? That's an excellent point about the car parking - it will help.

My main issue is the signalised junction beside the Court Hotel where this new road docks, and the associated effect on the roundabout. It does little for getting through traffic out of the urban area which is a major issue imo.

Then again, such a measure (a full route around the town) would likely only facilitate further sprawl and make the overall situation worse.

Yep I share your concerns.
    The new link to the Super Valu car park is good, but I think they'll need to close the existing main street entrance too, to have the most positive effect. And I don't think that Collins' Super Valu would like that very much.

I know a lot of traffic is currently taking the route through the main street to get to the south of Carrigaline. I do this a lot myself. If they introduce further traffic calming measures on the main street, or if the main street is looking busy, I'll use this route instead.

In saying all of that, I don't think it's a good scheme, personally. It looks like a sprawl facilitator to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Cork County Council are seeking first round public input on the proposed Carrigaline Transportation and Public Realm Enhancement Plan. This compliments the Relief Road and includes allowance for pedestrian and cycle connectivity, public transport etc. Submissions can be made online or by e-mail up to and including 1st March.

Full details are available here.

This is also available as a video on youtube but it’s just a council employee reading the powerpoint aloud.

Slightly off topic but hoping that the mods will show forbearance as this may well be of interest to posters in this thread based on previous posts.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40247540.html

Awarded to BAM. Work to commence in April

Good to hear. However it drives me mad in this country that we develop houses first and only then do we improve infrastructure.

Life south of the river in Carrigaline must have been a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Does anyone know if the work has started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

high horse wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the work has started yet?

According to facebook posts of local councilors, it has started.

Project website is here: www.cwrr.ie

giveth wrote: »
    According to facebook posts of local councilors, it has started.

Project website is here: www.cwrr.ie

I meant actual diggers on site doing work, not local councillors making noise. I might take a spin over that way later and have a look

high horse wrote: »
    I meant actual diggers on site doing work, not local councillors making noise. I might take a spin over that way later and have a look

Site compound is in place (you can see it from SuperValu car park) and initial works are underway.

Full works to commence in the next 2 months with a Q4 2022 opening planned.

Updates are appearing here

Current status:
    April 2021 Works

Site Compound Set Up
    Site Establishment and Security
    Environmental Surveys
    Site Clearance Works

Upcoming Works in May 2021

Continue Site Clearance Works
    Commence Pre-Earthworks Drainage
    Utility Diversions
    Commence Structures
    North Pumping Station
    Retaining Walls

Current status from the project website. No change to the timeline so hopefully remains on target for completion by October 2022

October Works:

Continued Earthworks

Continued Masonry Stone and Brick work to retaining walls

Continued reinforced concrete works to bridge

Continued both North and South Pumping Stations

Continued drainage works

Continued watermain works

Continued gas main works

Commenced upgrade works to Soccer Club Road

Continued Earth Retaining Wall

November Works:

Continue Earthworks

Complete brickwork to East retaining wall

Continue stonework to West retaining wall

Continue North and South Pumping Stations

Continue Drainage works

Continue Watermain

Commence Fencing

Continue works on Owenabue Bridge

Some pretty good aerial photos on the website:

https://www.cwrr.ie/gallery/

No news updates but some good aerial photos in the gallery showing progress as the road takes shape.

Gallery is here https://www.cwrr.ie/gallery/

When’s the projected opening? Of all the projects in County Cork this is one of the best bang for buck ones.

Main Street Carrigaline is an absolute disaster. Another issue which sadly won’t be solved is that there is effectively only one main access point to the town.

compare that to Ballincollig which has 3 links to the N22/N40 alone.

From the Website "The Carrigaline Western Relief Road project is being undertaken by Bam Civil Ltd. on behalf of Cork County Council with construction activities due to commence in April 2021 and will continue for 18 months."

It's been a good winter for construction (so far) and looks like they are making decent progress, so hopefully they will be on target and 4th quarter this year will see it in operation. The bridge over the Owenabue which is is the only substantial structure and that was finished a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Looks like it it’ll be a nice walk along the river up to the soccer club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

Project seems to be running well ahead of schedule. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40789821.html

Should be finished by summer which would be fantastic. Dry weather has helped greatly I'd say

Gallery updated with February & March pictures. https://www.cwrr.ie/gallery/. (End of Page)

March April works listed as follows :

March Works:

• Earthworks nearing completion
    • Continued Masonry Stone to retaining wall
    • Reinforced concrete works to bridge complete
    • Mechanical and Electrical Fit out to North and South Pumping Stations
    • Continued drainage works
    • Continued watermain works
    • Continued gas main works
    • Continued upgrade works to Soccer Club Road
    • Continued utilities side wide
    • Continued kerbing site wide
    • Preparation for pavement ongoing
    • Continued Tie works at Ballea Road and Kilmoney Road
    • Commenced landscaping works
    • Commenced safety barrier installation
    • Commenced footpaths site wide

April Works:

• Complete Earthworks
    • Complete stonework to West retaining wall
    • Continue M&E fitout to North and South Pumping Stations
    • Continue Drainage works
    • Continue Watermain
    • Continue Fencing
    • Complete safety barriers
    • Prepare for kerbing and footpaths
    • Commence landscaping
    • Continue Tie In works at Ballea Road and Kilmoney Road
    • Commence pavement works
    • Commence street lighting

I’m intrigued. Why do some of the photos contain areas which are covered in green patches. What’s being hidden?

Seems to be where private residences are in or close to the foreground. Presumably some solicitor who couldn’t be arsed actually looking into the case law has lazily advised the contractor that putting this online potentially violates the residents privacy and leaves the contractor open to being sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Most likely there were people visible in those areas, and the contractors were following the correct legal advice, rather than something they heard on Boards. You require explicit permission to publish photos taken of people who aren't in a public setting, and the back garden of a private home is not a public place.

If that’s true, wouldn’t we expect Google to be almost continually sued for all the instances where Street View fails to automatically blur out people in private spaces? I know there are many instances because I’m the “victim” in one of them! Please share a courts.ie link if there’s a relevant judgment because I’d like to read it and I’m genuinely quite happy to admit if I’m wrong.

It's quite strange to see such a confrontational style of posting in a thread about a tiny road being built in Carrigaline.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about styles of posting? This one seems to be a very normal/average thread?

On-topic, I think Google blurs faces so people can't be identified. So it sounds plausible that it's a legal consideration alright.

I wouldn't read too much into the green blobs, other than that the recent ones are very crude effort done by somebody with pretty poor photoshop skills (Or maybe MS Paint!). Looking back there was similar obscuring done in earlier photos (June/July/August 2021) but it was done much more subtly. Overall it may have been the result of a complaint, or whoever was posting noticed somebody sunbathing in their back garden and decided that it wasn't a good idea to publish it. Or just good practice in excluding irrelevant private data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

We have a flythrough video from the end of May. I'm wondering, are they planning on opening the main stretch before doing the western section to the soccer club? I've seen very little pictures of that section and this video ignores it completely.

Advertisement