Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4 9pm Tonight - Ride of My Life: The Story of the Bicycle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

el tel wrote: »
    Thought it was interesting that Campag was it? who mentioned their patents which they want to keep secret. Erm, patents are all in the public domain. Now if they had said they wanted to keep their as-yet unpatented technology secret that would have made much more sense.

they didnt want you to see the oompa loompas that make it ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

He also didn't mention what seatpost or pedals he was using which was surprising considering he mentioned the headset!

Or what size chain rings/ cassette.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hermy wrote: »
    Or what size chain rings/ cassette.:(

I knew the end would be a predictable BBC ending; By predictable it was so obvious they would do what BBC always do and just show him cycling away on the bike apart from a few far away glimpses of the bike and thats it.

Despite that, I thought it was briliant especially the wheel Guy and Hippies that invented the mountain bike.Who would have thought that would spark a Bike revolution.

I also hoped they would introduce the road bike as a new form of bike evolution after the mountain bike. Road bikes like TREK have replaced the mountain bike completely and yet they kind of merged them all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pirelli wrote: »
    Road bikes like TREK have replaced the mountain bike completely

:confused:

Road bikes like TREK have replaced the mountain bike completely and yet they kind of merged them all together.

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Road bikes like TREK have replaced the mountain bike completely and yet they kind of merged them all together.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Lumen wrote: »

There was racers and then there was mountainbikes and now there are Hybrids. People mostly buy hybrids and not racers or mountains bikes as much anymore. Trek road bike 7.1 is a Hybrid in my opinion. Regardless Hybrids have replaced the mountain bike as the most popular form of bike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_bicycle

Hybrid bikes
    In recent years, bicycle designs have trended towards increased specialization, as sales of bicycles to casual cyclists and commuters have grown. For the latter group, the industry responded with the hybrid bicycle, otherwise known as the city bike, cross bike, or commuter.[42] These designs often combine elements of road racing and mountain bikes, using mid-level components. The term is used flexibly, with bikes ranging from fast and light racing-type bicycles with flat bars and other minimal concessions to casual use, to wider-tired bikes designed for primarily for comfort, load-carrying, and increased versatility over a range of different road surfaces.[42]

While historically most bike frames have been steel, recent designs, particularly of high-end racing bikes, have made extensive use of carbon and aluminum frames.

Recent years have also seen a resurgence of interest in balloon tire cruiser bicycles for their low-tech comfort, reliability, and style.

In addition to influences derived from the evolution of American bicycling trends, European, Asian, and African cyclists have also continued to use traditional roadster bicycles, as their rugged design, enclosed chainguards, and dependable hub gearing make them ideal for commuting and utility cycling duty.[42]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Regardless Hybrids have replaced the mountain bike as the most popular form of bike.

Unless you plan on mountain biking.

I think you are getting confused by bike makers diversifying their product lines to appeal to a wider range of cyclists. There are road racers, mountain bikers, cyclocrossers and casual commuters. They all want bikes and one type of bike won't suit everyone's needs without ridiculous compromises.

The 7.1 FX is a hybrid, lots of luck trying to race on one or compete in any downhill challenges.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Unless you plan on mountain biking.

I think you are getting confused by bike makers diversifying their product lines to appeal to a wider range of cyclists. There are road racers, mountain bikers, cyclocrossers and casual commuters. They all want bikes and one type of bike won't suit everyone's needs without ridiculous compromises.

The 7.1 FX is a hybrid, lots of luck trying to race on one or compete in any downhill challenges.

I appreciate that Dirk but my post was ( at least in a small way ) intended to point out that hybrids are now the most popular and best selling bikes and have surpassed the popularity of mountian bikes and deserve a mention. Then again the bike he built was a hybrid of sorts.

• Advertisement

I hope these cycling nuts have accepted I made a fair and valid comment in my post and I expect no more geekish behaviour from these cycling obessed know it alls.

I hope these cycling nuts have accepted I made a fair and valid comment in my post and I expect no more geekish behaviour from these cycling obessed know it alls.

considering the only sales figures i can find (with a breakdown) are for holland where city bikes are 56% of bike sales, i beg to differ (cant find any sales figures for uk or ireland )
    so i have no idea whether hybrid bikes outsell everything else but i suspect it is much more likely to be BSO's outselling everything else but i doubt they categorise them like that

valid point - possibly it may or may not be true without the industry sales figures and trends i dont know

what tiny said

You're on an internet forum and want no geekish behaviour? That's just not gonna happen I'm afraid!

The comment in your original post that warrented the :confused: was very confusing -you did however explain it a little better later on (though fair and valid may be stretching it a little!)

You're on an internet forum and want no geekish behaviour? That's just not gonna happen I'm afraid!

An internet forum does not mean people here are neccessarily geeks. It does explain alot though that you would consider it full of geeks.

You can't really say the same for TV so to say the internet forum is for geeks is I would say; an outdated perception. It does derive less credit than say watching a game of football, but I would think the internet has earned more respect and raised the bar compared to watching an episode of Buffy the vampire slayer and angel or deep space nine and possibly star trek.

I had felt the cycling fraternity here at cycling were being a tad silly about my comment because it was an obvious fact.

The comment in your original post that warrented the :confused: was very confusing -you did however explain it a little better later on (though fair and valid may be stretching it a little!)[/

If that is the case then I should not call you geeks. My apologies.

considering the only sales figures i can find (with a breakdown) are for holland where city bikes are 56% of bike sales, i beg to differ (cant find any sales figures for uk or ireland )
    so i have no idea whether hybrid bikes outsell everything else but i suspect it is much more likely to be BSO's outselling everything else but i doubt they categorise them like that

valid point - possibly it may or may not be true without the industry sales figures and trends i dont know

what tiny said

I did check sales before i posted a while back. I examined Trek sales and while they have been established for the last 30 years and famous for making race bikes etc.. They were struggling to survive and it was only when they introduced the hybrid that their business really took off.

The explosion in sales was massive and the Hybrid has been a huge source of revenue for bike sales and in particular TREK which has now emerged from a potential bankruptcy to become a company boasting double digit revenues and proifits.

Trek is an excellent example of a laggard that became a market leader and hybrids are without doubt deserving of a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pirelli, I think Lance Armstrong might have a small problem with you crediting Trek's success to the hybrid bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I did check sales before i posted a while back. I examined Trek sales and while they have been established for the last 30 years and famous for making race bikes etc.. They were struggling to survive and it was only when they introduced the hybrid that their business really took off.

The explosion in sales was massive and the Hybrid has been a huge source of revenue for bike sales and in particular TREK which has now emerged from a potential bankruptcy to become a company boasting double digit revenues and proifits.

Trek is an excellent example of a laggard that became a market leader and hybrids are without doubt deserving of a mention.

Did you just make that up?

Pirelli, I think Lance Armstrong might have a small problem with you crediting Trek's success to the hybrid bicycle.

Trek's initial dollar success was with the mountain bike and this faded out and sales slumped. Then came the hybrid which has been hugely successful and sales are now exceeding previous sales.

Lance Armstrong was no doubt an inspiration but we are talking dollar sales based on new trends in the bike market and not just the popularity he brought. Perhaps he helped develop the new hybrid and was consulted on it. I cannot find anything to suggets he did.

Trek made a fortune on mountain bikes. That fizzled out so how does it make it's money now. ( Aside from race bikes )

http://www.answers.com/topic/trek-bicycle-corporation
    Trekking into 1997 and Beyond

Indeed, Trek's popularity skyrocketed in the late 1990s due in part to the signing of soon-to-be record breaker Lance Armstrong. Armstrong joined Trek and the U.S. Postal Team in 1997 shortly after he was diagnosed with cancer. Two years later, Armstrong became the first American riding an American-made bike to win the Tour de France. The Trek OCLV Carbon 5200 he was riding quickly became one of the fastest-selling bikes in the United States. Armstrong's athleticism would eventually go down in history; he won his seventh consecutive Tour in 2005.

:rolleyes:
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Did you even read your article it only references up until 1996. ..:D :D

To finish that article.
    They made a fortune on the mountain bike..sales fizzled out and they diversified.. hence the hybrid blockbuster.

An internet forum does not mean people here are neccessarily geeks. It does explain alot though that you would consider it full of geeks.

Now you're trying to put words in my mouth... at no point did I say that this forum was full of geeks, just that you should expect some geekish behaviour. They are two very different things
    If that is the case then I should not call you geeks. My apologies.

In my case it'd be justified I guess, but apology accepted :)

• Advertisement

I did check sales before i posted a while back.

Have you got a link? It would definitely help your credibility to quote some sources

Have you got a link? It would definitely help your credibility to quote some sources

As Lumen pointed out that Lance Armstrong has made Trek a success and no matter where I look Lance Armstrong is credited for Treks return to success.

However these articles will show that after the success of the Mountain Bike the worlds biggest Cycle company saw it's sales slump and the market for bikes became stagnant. Whether Lance armstong revived a flat cycle market or Research and development and Marketing new Products with Treks unique style saw the company return from a declining market to doubling its revenue will always remain a mystery.

However I hope have saved my credibility and can now return to posting innocent comments after my brief euphoria from watching BBC 4 "Ride of my life". Now the excitment has passed I will most likely return to my interest in security analysis. I am not a bike Geek although I do like Trek and respect the Quality products they have brought to the Cycle market at an affordable price. I can ride a great bike without spending hundreds if not thousands of euros. I would also probably beat most you guys in a small tour or race.

Trek is also the most likely candidate to capture the chinese market in my opinion with their low cost high quality hybrid bikes.

An article on Reuters.com By Leigh Buchanan, Inc.com, August 2006,

Quote from Treks Burke:

"I think now that Lance is retired we will just continue to push cycling. He's a poster boy for us, but our focus is still technology, quality products. We put a lot of emphasis on R&D"

A Trek through Time – The History of Trek Bicycles
    Posted on the Trek Dealer Site, Feburary 2002

The company pressed on with startling financial success over the next few years. Trek had ridden the wave of the mountain bike, and by 1996 mountain bikes accounted for 80% of the company’s product line. They invested heavily in research and design, employing the largest team of engineers in the business. The domestic dealer base had swelled to 1500. Thousands more around the world came on board through the seven subsidiaries and over 60 distributors. Overseas business had accrued to roughly a third of overall sales. Worldwide annual sales soared near the $350,000,000 range.
    Trek had quietly become the world’s largest manufacturer of bicycles sold through specialty retail stores. But growth had hidden a lot of sins. By 1997, the bicycle market had flattened. John Burke stepped in an assumed the role of Trek President. “When the growth stops, it’s time to manage the company,” said John Burke.

Managing a mature company in a stagnant market forced management to reassess their identity. Were the guiding principles the same, had goals changed? “We took a long look at our mission statement and determined what was true ten to fifteen years ago, is still true today,” said John Burke. “We built this business by meeting the needs of our customer, the retailer, and that’s still our number one goal.”

http://www.vintage-trek.com/TREK_History1.pdf

http://www.vintage-trek.com/trek_history_INC.htm

My credibility! :rolleyes:

I was just a geneneral punter enjoying the cycling documentary. You and Lumen and harrry and endwin are (by your post history) bicycling enthusiasts.

I would hazard a guess your more focused on the sport of cycling and racing and downhill racing. In fairness the mountain bike that revived cycling was not by any means confined to professional racers or even cycling enthusiasts. The revival of the cycling by the introduction of the mountain bike is simply marketing and sales to the general public.

"Managing a mature company in a stagnant market forced management to reassess their identity".

A quote from Trek themselves that clearly shows that after the mountain bike the general public lost interest and cycling was once again dying. Scooters if I recall saw a revival.

Trek have since seen a return to their revenue and now boast a higher sales revenue than their peak sales during the mountain bike era. They are selling more hybrids than they have ever sold mountain bikes. Now that deserved a mention and not a lot of :confused::confused::confused:.

My credibility! :rolleyes:

I was just a geneneral punter enjoying the cycling documentary. You and Lumen and harrry and endwin are (by your post history) bicycling enthusiasts.

I would hazard a guess your more focused on the sport of cycling and racing and downhill racing. In fairness the mountain bike that revived cycling was not by any means confined to professional racers or even cycling enthusiasts. The revival of the cycling by the introduction of the mountain bike is simply marketing and sales to the general public.

"Managing a mature company in a stagnant market forced management to reassess their identity".

A quote from Trek themselves that clearly shows that after the mountain bike the general public lost interest and cycling was once again dying. Scooters if I recall saw a revival.

Trek have since seen a return to their revenue and now boast a higher sales revenue than their peak sales during the mountain bike era. They are selling more hybrids than they have ever sold mountain bikes. Now that deserved a mention and not a lot of :confused::confused::confused:.

I'm interested in the sport, but not in MTB at all.

You've posted a few links, but nowhere on any of them are sales figures that show Hybrids selling more than MTBs, or any other kind. All I was wondering is where these sales figures were coming from. You seem to be extrapolating it from somewhere, and I don't know where, hence the :confused:

I'm interested in the sport, but not in MTB at all.

You've posted a few links, but nowhere on any of them are sales figures that show Hybrids selling more than MTBs, or any other kind. All I was wondering is where these sales figures were coming from. You seem to be extrapolating it from somewhere, and I don't know where, hence the :confused:

I am not a Security Analyst and Trek are not a publicly traded company. So that information would not be readily available.

If you read the link or even the transcript I copied it has a revenue of 350 million thanks in the most part to MTB. They also had bought many of the MTB companies. Trek report the MTB craze not only flattened but the entire bike market became stagnant. They had invested heavily in MTB's and were in a difficult position. They now boast twice those revenues which IMO have only 35% of the demand for MTB's that they used to have so hybrids and hybrid MTB's make up the revenue MTB's used to make.

All those Trek 7.1 and similar are what revived the market or satisifed customer need. Very few people wanted mountain bikes and instead wanted hybrids. You also don't see even a fraction of the mopeds you used to see.

Do they even make that many MTB's .. I think they have long since diversified into hybrids.

this and the tom simpson doumentry repeated tonight from 8pm

yep bbc4 sorry

its repeated later on set the vid (how come we dont dsya ste the hard drive recorder ????)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

this and the tom simpson doumentry repeated tonight from 8pm

Cool - What channel??:)

edit - jut found it, bbc4 9pm for the Tom Simpson show (fraid I'll have to go with Top Gear BBC2 at 8... - I know :(. -I'll leave my cleats and helmet at the door on my way out :))

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

thought that tom simpson programme was very good. looked like a bastard of a climb on that mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable with the adulation for a cyclist who had no issue with use and indeed over-use of performance enhancing drugs? :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

fat bloke wrote: »
    Anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable with the adulation for a cyclist who had no issue with use and indeed over-use of performance enhancing drugs? :(

I feel a bit more than uncomfortable to be honest. The fondness the British media have for Simpson really bothers me especially given how what killed him is an ongoing problem today.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement