Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4 9pm Tonight - Ride of My Life: The Story of the Bicycle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

ARGH i'm gonna miss it. Can anyone tape these and put them online somehow with magic or cats or magic cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

SubLuminal wrote: »
    ARGH i'm gonna miss it. Can anyone tape these and put them online somehow with magic or cats or magic cats?

Follow the links given by the OP to see the repeat times and dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thanks for this great program would have missed them otherwise

get the bbc to pay for you to go round the world and buy bike bits i hate this guy :cool:

(barry hoban was on claire baldings thing as well )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

anyone else compose poetry while on the bike? that guy needs to HTFU and give it some effort

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Possibly the most un-euro bike ever! Steel frame, carbon fork and bars, brooks saddle!

Also, in the end he had the skewer on the wrong way round (opposite sides for front and rear wheel) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Really enjoying this have had to pause it as the bloddy pgone won't stop ringing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I get this message when trying to view the Tom Simpson documentary.
    "This content doesnt seem to be working. Try again later"
    Anybody know why or got a fix for it.
    Or is BBC4 on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Lovin BIKE NIGHT on the Beeb ,,,,no adverts ..bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Missed this. Here's one of the bike songs though. Luka Bloom - Acoustic Motorbike. It's about proper bikes though.
    here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The cycling continues on BBC 4 tomorrow, Wednesday (July 28), with a screening of the great animated movie, Belleville Rendezvous, set in the fifities it's about a bike mad French youth's adventure in taking part in the Tour de France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Excellent nights TV:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Story of the Bicycle

Documentary on Tom Simpson after:
    Death on the Mountain

Well Rob Penn is a twunt and a half, I wish the BBC would pay him just to cycle round the world without making programs. The Tom Simpson documentary was great though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Well Rob Penn is a twunt and a half

Apparently "Rob’s fairly unique in that he’s a man who’s ridden a bike for most days of his adult life". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Well Rob Penn is a twunt and a half, I wish the BBC would pay him just to cycle round the world without making programs. The Tom Simpson documentary was great though

I agree. The perfect bike doc was a good idea, and it would have been great if he wasn't so annoying. And then Boris Johnson appeared to really put the tin hat on it!

The Simpson documentary was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lumen wrote: »
    Apparently "Rob’s fairly unique in that he’s a man who’s ridden a bike for most days of his adult life". :rolleyes:

Oh, that makes me unique too. Just like you and you and you and you...we're all unique in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Possibly the most un-euro bike ever! Steel frame, carbon fork and bars, brooks saddle!

Also, in the end he had the skewer on the wrong way round (opposite sides for front and rear wheel) :)

I didn't know that, Is there a reason for this? I have both mine on the non-drive side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Am I in the minority who really enjoyed it and appreciated his enthusiasm for all things bike related.

Also he got the frames sprayed in Swords colours so couldn't be all bad.....

The Death on the mountain was harrowing but fascinating.

The history of the bike one was nice as well.

Mrs Fowl rightly pissed at a full evening of cycling TV so soon after the tour though ,,,,

Any program which uses one or more Credence Clearwater Revival tracks is ok in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

I enjoyed the Rob Penn program also. Great enthusiasm and I thought an interesting look at the various golden ages of the bike, the origins of mountain biking and a general appreciation of hand built/hand finished quality products.
    Bad colour selection for the frame though in my eyes - I liked the light blue.

A good nights TV - 4 cycling related programs in a row is rare.

Also saw some of the program the previous night on BBC about 3 guys following Hannibals route (by bike - them, not Hannibal) up the east coast of Spain , over the Pyrenees and into France. Continues next week I think.
    Personally , I'd be happier if they just did it as a program about a nice cycle route.
    Same for Clare Baldings program. (still can't watch her without wanting to slap her for that comment she made to the jockey).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Did anyone record them in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

No pleasing some folk. A very intetesting program, followed by a great documentary.

2,5hours of a spin, in the wind. Love it.
    Post spin shower
    Post spin pizza and coke.
    Boardsie dropped in a new jersey for me
    2.5 hours of cycling programs on tv.
    Bed - slept like a baby. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bah. The Tom Simpson docu isn't available on Iplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

penexpers wrote: »
    Bah. The Tom Simpson docu isn't available on Iplayer

its repeated tonight i think...late about mid-night or 1am.

07Lapierre wrote: »

Can you get BBC4 on Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks to Harrybelafonte for flagging this.
    The Tom Simpson documentary was fascinating. I think I'll go back now and have another go at the William Fotheringham book.
    However the programme before it was utterly spoiled by Rob Penn. As well as being very, very annoying he also didn't bother to go into nearly enough detail about his bike build.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I didn't know that, Is there a reason for this? I have both mine on the non-drive side.

Just convention, not hard and fast rules!

I quite liked the Rob Penn docu -yes, I would have liked more detail, but then I don't think we're entirely the target audience... I know I was sitting there thinking "you could get that cheaper online than from the Factory mate" :)

He also didn't mention what seatpost or pedals he was using which was surprising considering he mentioned the headset!

Thought it was interesting that Campag was it? who mentioned their patents which they want to keep secret. Erm, patents are all in the public domain. Now if they had said they wanted to keep their as-yet unpatented technology secret that would have made much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

07Lapierre wrote: »

Repeat 1.15am (Ride of my life) and 2.15am tommorrow on BBCFour (Death on a Mountain)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074rgb

• Advertisement

Advertisement