Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking legally on motorway

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

What is the sanction for failing to keep left?
    It strikes me that one unmarked TC car doing nothing else for a month could sort this out (and pay for itself if fines apply). I reckon a single car could get through about 20 stops per shift on the M50?

I used it today and judging by what I witnessed you would get a way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

the 1997 act did not change the substance of the 1964 act. It did insert the subsection where it outlines that it may be dangerous to overtake in certain circumstances. This was always accepted but this allowed for the power of arrest there and then of a speeding motorist where the overtaking was deemed to be dangerous. The Traffic Corps used this often.
    I actually had the 97 Act with me last night and had intended including it but half fell asleep-good job I was not driving.
    Having said that Law is based on precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

SARASON wrote: »
    I used it today and judging by what I witnessed you would get a way more.
    Allowing time to:
    • Get onto the motorway
    • Identify an offender (30 seconds :D)
    • Overtake them, identify themselves, flash the 'follow me' message
    • Lead the offender to the nearest offramp and a safe spot to park
    • ID the driver, check the reg and windscreen, write the paperwork, put up with the "have ye nothing better to do?" b0llocks.
    • Rinse and repeat
    I'd say averaging one every 20 minutes would be good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Verbatim response from the RSA
    It appears that your correspondents are not aware of what is contained in the Rules of the Roads and when it is permissible to overtake on the left. See attached link for further details http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/overtaking.html . The rules of the road state;
    You may overtake on the left when
    You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signaled that they intend to turn right.
    You have signaled that you intend to turn left.
    Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

I guess from the link this is the most important bit
    "You must not overtake when

You are in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway or motorway when traffic is moving at normal speed."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

2yung2adm wrote: »
    Signalling the intention is not qualified in the legislation as to whether it has to be a mechanical means or if a hand signal would suffice in that situation.
    BTY an indicator bulb will not blow unbeknown to you as the tell tale light on the dash-and that is a legal requirement- will flash at twice the speed when a bulb blows.
    You would be in trouble if you pleaded that in a court lol.

Just regarding the hand signal sufficing for indication of turning intention. I was wondering, if your indicator does blow, you use hand signals - thats seems to be in accordance with the law. But the legislation does not go into detail about amount of light available. Would you see a driver's intention through hand signals out a window of a car, or even a lorry when there is no day light available at 3am in the morning?

• Advertisement
Advertisement