Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25th July

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There has been lots of 'filler' pieces this series but that's because the budget has been slashed drastically.

I loved the Senna piece and in some ways it was fitting that the show ended on a poignant moment but I would have preferred that they showed that piece and then given us something to laugh at before closing the show. Leave on a high imo, not feeling like some emo kid wanting to slash his wrists. I vividly remember the day Senna died, I was watching the race on TV, so I felt that the piece was a fitting tribute but just at the wrong time during the show.

It goes to show that with the budget slashed TG is having to return to planet earth and the basics and is finding it difficult to do that without seeming flat.
    CarMuppet wrote: »
    1. Bugatti Veyron - entertaining.
    2. Hammond on ice - another TG race. Yawn.
    3. Those actors from the US - cringy & staged.
    4. Ayrton Senna tribute – Absolutely brilliant.

Have to say when Clarkson puts his mind to an automobile related factual documentary he can do a good job. It would be nice to see Top Gear do serious auto related tributes like this once and a while.

I was not expecting an ending to a TG show like that.. Brilliant.

Agree with everything except the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

Listen we all know the whole show is scripted/staged and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Can be guaranteed Cruise wouldn't appear unless guaranteed fastest lap time.

My point being that its harmless fun which i for one enjoy ( A welcome break from doom & gloom of everyday life).

Only part that really irked me was the fact they had Rubens on the show previously and could have got him to do Hamiltons part in Senna's tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Helium wrote: »

Only part that really irked me was the fact they had Rubens on the show previously and could have got him to do Hamiltons part in Senna's tribute.

Im sure they were pretty tied to using a Maclaren driver to run that car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

mickdw wrote: »
    Im sure they were pretty tied to using a Maclaren driver to run that car though.

True! hadn't thought of thatredface.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew33 wrote: »
    They all said he was a great driver blahddy blahddy blah, I've never heard anybody stand up at a funeral and say "ah yer man was an awful bollix, used to bash the missus an' all"

Eddie wasn't the only driver either.

I can appreciate if he wasn't your cup of tea etc, but you said "so-called driving skills", implying he had no skills :confused:

If all the other F1 people didn't think Senna was the best, why wouldn't they have said Schui, Prost etc? That comment about nobody says bad thing things at a funeral is just downright distasteful. Borderline trolling imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'm not sure about Tom and Cameron's lap, did they really post these times?
    I.
    My first thoughts also. They both missed gears, stayed too long without changing etc.

Maybe they agreed to go on the show if they only got the top times? How the hell was tom cruise's lap 2 seconds faster than the rest of the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to top gear forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I really enjoyed this episode after last weeks lack lustre performance. I did switch off half way tru Senna eulogy, He was a good driver and fearless (but foolhardy and not a great sportsman) but its only in death that he has become a deity. Schuey is a much better driver and the fact that he gets home to his family after a race proves that. People need to get over the whole "Senna god" thing.
    Exactly how does the fact that someone goes home to their family prove that they're a better driver than Senna? Baffling!!
    All this Senna bashing coming from a guy who thinks Concorde is crap, old hat and over rated too.
    Troll alert!!
    Come back to us when you've built a supersonic airliner and won 3 world championships in 10 years against some of the best drivers of all time and I'll post up a video of me printing out my words and eating them with a dash of salt! :D

Great episode, pity there's only one more left in this season. Any one else dying to see a WRC star in the Liana?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    My first thoughts also. They both missed gears, stayed too long without changing etc.

Maybe they agreed to go on the show if they only got the top times? How the hell was tom cruise's lap 2 seconds faster than the rest of the times?

The previous fastest lap was that wizard lad, hardly JK. Until we get a proper timed lap from someone we know to be fast, we won't know for sure.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Exactly how does the fact that someone goes home to their family prove that they're a better driver than Senna? Baffling!!
    All this Senna bashing coming from a guy who thinks Concorde is crap, old hat and over rated too.
    Troll alert!!
    Come back to us when you've built a supersonic airliner and won 3 world championships in 10 years against some of the best drivers of all time and I'll post up a video of me printing out my words and eating them with a dash of salt! :D

Great episode, pity there's only one more left in this season. Any one else dying to see a WRC star in the Liana?

One more left?? How many in the season was that so far, four? Jesus it's getting shorter every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Episode was one of worst ever.

Veyron - rehash of last time May did it
    Celebs - times are now way real, missed/wrong gears on several occasions, no way a second faster with that. Cruise is a wanker and cut the last 2 corners by miles. Diaz is a whiney annoying ditzy ugo
    Hammond bit - very similar to previous ice/snow stuff and very very staged
    F1 - very much a filler article,good but not great, not very TG at all. Should have been part of the German GP buildup rather than top Gear, and Hamilton is such a douche in it.
    News - crap rant about nothing dominated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »
    The previous fastest lap was that wizard lad, hardly JK. Until we get a proper timed lap from someone we know to be fast, we won't know for sure.

and Jeremy said he reckoned it would stay the highest for quite a while. so much for that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Episode was one of worst ever.

Veyron - rehash of last time May did it
    Celebs - times are now way real, missed/wrong gears on several occasions, no way a second faster with that. Cruise is a wanker and cut the last 2 corners by miles. Diaz is a whiney annoying ditzy ugo
    Hammond bit - very similar to previous ice/snow stuff and very very staged
    F1 - very much a filler article,good but not great, not very TG at all. Should have been part of the German GP buildup rather than top Gear, and Hamilton is such a douche in it.
    News - crap rant about nothing dominated it.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Troll alert!!

I was waiting for someone to come up with this response. I never suggested for one second that I was a better driver than Senna or a better aircraft designer than those who created Concorde. If Senna were alive today he would probably be just another retired F1 driver with a string of wins behind him. No big deal. He won 3 world championships, so what? As to the concorde comment? go to the appropriate thread if you wish to comment. (Concorde was an interesting diversion from the main aviation development route same as the Penny Farthing bicycle was from the two wheeled world)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭furiousox

He won 3 world championships, so what?

(Concorde was an interesting diversion from the main aviation development route same as the Penny Farthing bicycle was from the two wheeled world)

LOL...you have GOT to be taking the pi$$!! :pac:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

furiousox wrote: »
    LOL...you have GOT to be taking the pi$$!! :pac:
    The sad thing is he's serious. Sure there's always one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

EnterNow wrote: »
    I suppose you prefer exploding caravan type episodes then?

Yeah, that's what I said.:rolleyes:

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I said.:rolleyes:

Fair play to you, most people are sick of them by now. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I thought it was a fun episode. The Senna piece I could take or leave, but I thought it was a fair tribute to one of the all time greats of motor sport.

I have my doubts about the lap times for Diaz and Cruise, but at the same time, they have probably received more stunt/aggressive driving lessons in their lives than most of the stars that appear on the show and are just off the back of filming for Knight & Day so they wouldn't have completely forgotten it. The whole "staying in a distant shot for Cruise's 2 wheels" bit was somewhat fishy.

The Veyron SS piece, interesting to see the "science" of how they do those record attempts etc - the waiting till the middle of the day and all that goes with it.

The snow stuff, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

FFS no way did Cameron Diaz really do that time!

Her lap was dreadful.

I can sort of believe Tom Cruise did his because of the corner cutting and he was going pretty damn fast, but Diaz shuddered over the line and was in the wrong gear the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Can we merge the posts for the 25th July episode, mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

phasers wrote: »
    FFS no way did Cameron Diaz really do that time!

Her lap was dreadful.
    It's Cameron Diaz FFS !! I wasn't one bit worried about the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Best episode of Top Gear this season. I enjoyed it all even if some if was kind of done before. The Veyron SS piece was still class. The acceleration was incredible.

Tom and Cameron were really good guests to have on. I thought that Cameron had a better line during the lap but fair play to Tom for getting the fastest lap. He really went after it. Two wheels at Gambon was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what did clarkson say about a film at the end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

cian1500ww wrote: »
    It's Cameron Diaz FFS !! I wasn't one bit worried about the time :p

Eww no she's not even remotely attractive!

She looks her best in the Shrek movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

phasers wrote: »
    Eww no she's not even remotely attractive!

She looks her best in the Shrek movies...

ogre or non ogre she's hot either way ;)

Advertisement