Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25th July

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I really enjoyed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I heard the producre Andy Wilman said last week that the petrol heads are getting a bit tired of the show as it has gone more down the line of entertainment rather than being about motors.
    So I think they might be changing the show for next year to have it a little more to do with cars and little less to do with Hammond, May and Clarkson and their personalities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

same exact piece was done before with May on the same track...

It is the only piece of road which is long and straight enough to get to that speed (267 mph)
    For good measure The Stig also took it for a spin on the TG track and smashed the record there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

pajo1981 wrote: »
    missed it. is it repeated during the week?

Normally on a tuesday - BBC2, 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

same exact piece was done before with May on the same track...

Cruise cut every corner and that time should not be allowed stand. he also a complete tool IMO. the interviews in general this year have been very poor

the whole piece had an air of "filler material" to it. Why not show it in the F1 German GP build up earlier that day, where actually F1 fans can watch it?

It was very very staged and fake looking

granted, but maybe it should just die gracefully before its dragged on forever

my feelings on last nights episode exactly. As soon as that Senna piece came on all i could think of was FILLER

Very disappointed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

A better episode than some recent ones imo.

The guests took up too much of the show, and the veyron bit, while interesting, brought about a sense of deja vu imo. (yes, its the fastest most powerful production car in the world, we get it)

It is more about the entertainment now than the motors aspect, which, (although it makes the show easier to get the missus to let me watch :p), is not really what I want out of a car show. Lets keep a bit of the entertainment aspects, but bring back more car aspects.

Over half the show was about cameron diaz, tom cruise, and a filler video of senna (no disrespect intended, but its not an F1 show, and theres a time and a place for a senna tribute) - thats not really what TG is about imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Best Epsiode of TG ever.

Diaz? I would. ;)

Muppet Man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The point of the Veyron piece was to post a record, which it did.
    I have to say I envy May for taking it for a second spin at that speed, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people will never even get that chance to do that once, more people have landed on the moon than taken that thing up to top speed.
    I loved the Senna bit, was riveted to every second of it. Maybe it should have been made into a proper one hour Senna special, that footage of him flinging that car round Monaco was awesome.
    If anything it was too short, it should have been made into a standalone episode.
    The problem with the way it was done was that it was neither here nor there. But great to watch anyway.
    He was a truly outstanding driver, he could do something that only a handful of people out of the entire human race could come close to, a truly superhuman talent.
    I'm not sure about Tom and Cameron's lap, did they really post these times?
    I have become quite sceptical when it comes to "facts" as reported by TG.
    At one point Tom looked like he had landed in 5th instead of 3rd gear because the engine revs died down by quite a lot.
    And Cameron just didn't look that together on the track, she was a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Diaz? I would. ;)

Join at the back of the queue! ;)

Clarkson was obviously starstruck, and messed up his questions and everything.

I bet not many remember the Chocolate-foil mid-engine Porsche..?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kce

I'm not sure about Tom and Cameron's lap, did they really post these times?
    I have become quite sceptical when it comes to "facts" as reported by TG.
    At one point Tom looked like he had landed in 5th instead of 3rd gear because the engine revs died down by quite a lot.
    And Cameron just didn't look that together on the track, she was a bit all over the place.

Totally agree as a top gear fan have become disappointed with the way the show is going. The lap by the 2 "superstars" last night confirmed to me that the lap times are a total fix. They were missing gears the whole time and as for the 2 wheel around the last bend by cruise and him saying "oh i was feathering the trottle".......Come on please!!! Why didn't they show a close up reaction of him doing this? - it was someone else....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I really enjoyed this episode after last weeks lack lustre performance. I did switch off half way tru Senna eulogy, He was a good driver and fearless (but foolhardy and not a great sportsman) but its only in death that he has become a deity. Schuey is a much better driver and the fact that he gets home to his family after a race proves that. People need to get over the whole "Senna god" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew33 wrote: »
    its only in death that he has become a deity

I wouldn't go around saying that if your ever in Brazil. He was a hero to millions, in life AND death.
    After Senna's death it was discovered that he had donated millions of dollars of his personal fortune (estimated at $400 million at the time of his death)[82] to children's charities, a fact that during his life he had kept secret. His foundation in Brazil, Instituto Ayrton Senna, has invested nearly US$80 million over the last twelve years in social programs and actions in partnership with schools, government, NGOs, and the private sector aimed at offering children and teenagers from low-income backgrounds the skills and opportunities they need to develop to their full potential as persons, citizens and future professionals.

From his wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

1. Bugatti Veyron - entertaining.
    2. Hammond on ice - another TG race. Yawn.
    3. Those actors from the US - cringy & staged.
    4. Ayrton Senna tribute – Absolutely brilliant.

Have to say when Clarkson puts his mind to an automobile related factual documentary he can do a good job. It would be nice to see Top Gear do serious auto related tributes like this once and a while.

I was not expecting an ending to a TG show like that.. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

CarMuppet wrote: »
    1. Bugatti Veyron - entertaining.
    2. Hammond on ice - another TG race. Yawn.
    3. Those actors from the US - cringy & staged.
    4. Ayrton Senna tribute – Absolutely brilliant.

Have to say when Clarkson puts his mind to an automobile related factual documentary he can do a good job. It would be nice to see Top Gear do serious auto related tributes like this once and a while.

I was not expecting an ending to a TG show like that.. Brilliant.

You're bang on there mate...

Cruise/Cameron was cringy but Hamilton was by far the most cringe worthy. "I was karting, my dad told me Senna died and i went off and cried my eyes out", what a load of absolute crap. He was 9! What was he even doing there in the first place? He's not the current world champ, he never met the man, he's not brazilian, WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

One of the best episodes of top gear in recent memory. That Veyron for a start- what a machine!! 267mph average. And i love the fact that they get "captain slow" to do a high speed run in it again.

Clarkson really does do the documentary style presenting so well. A fitting tribute.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I wouldn't go around saying that if your ever in Brazil. He was a hero to millions, in life AND death.

From his wiki.

I'm referring to his so called driving skills, not what he did with his spare cash.
    And if he was alive today he'd be able to give so much more to his beloved country.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I'm referring to his so called driving skills, not what he did with his spare cash.
    And if he was alive today he'd be able to give so much more to his beloved country.

But for your post count- id say you were a troll!! Because your last two comments are delusional- at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

LOL, I think its fair to say that it has divided opinion.

I also thought if extremely fishy that people who were obviously missing gears got the two fastest laps ....but then again they havent had Jay Kay or a few of the top drivers in the last reasonably priced car.

The worst part of the show was Clarkson drooling all over the two americans. FFS if I wanted to see that I'd watch the E! channel.

I thought the Hammond bit was staged, but entertaining. The veyron bit was setting a new production car world record .... this is Topgear bread and butter. Yes it was similar to a previous feature, but as was mentioned, this is one of the few places in the world where this could be done.

I am kind of so-so on the Senna feature, some of the footage was just amazing. I was quite surprised by the number of people who said he was the number 1 driver of all time .... I wonder is this going to be a regular feature????

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭eire1990

ya i have to say the lap times did seem a bit to good to be true top gear has gone down hill a bit in the last year or so got very predictable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So called driving skills? Are you serious, or just looking to invoke controversy?

• Advertisement

But for your post count- id say you were a troll!! Because your last two comments are delusional- at best.

Delusional? explain? He was not the "driving God" or "greatest driver who ever lived".

EnterNow wrote: »
    So called driving skills? Are you serious, or just looking to invoke controversy?

Not controversy but discussion. He is/was NOT a driving god, he was an aggressive bully on the track and had no sportsmanship, and while I appreciate that a shrinking violet will get nowhere in sport I don't believe (a personal opinion) he was that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

BigEejit wrote: »
    I also thought if extremely fishy that people who were obviously missing gears got the two fastest laps ....but then again they havent had Jay Kay or a few of the top drivers in the last reasonably priced car.

I assumed they had good lap times, espcially cruise, becuse he has had a lot of race driving training, a hell of a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Not controversy but discussion. He is/was NOT a driving god, he was an aggressive bully on the track and had no sportsmanship, and while I appreciate that a shrinking violet will get nowhere in sport I don't believe (a personal opinion) he was that great.

Well, to name but a few, Michael Schumacher, Mikka Häkkinen, Rubens Barrichello and David Coulthard would disagree with you, and I think they may know a thing or two about F1 racing...

Eddie Irvine did have an, erm, up close confrontation with him, so he may agree with you...

Best episode in a good long while. More of the same please :)

Cruise nailed that lap, I guess all you need to do is check your sense of self-preservation at the door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

robtri wrote: »
    I assumed they had good lap times, espcially cruise, becuse he has had a lot of race driving training, a hell of a lot....

well when you cut several dozen metres off the length of the track by cutting corners hugely of course you will have a quicker time

Yakuza wrote: »
    Well, to name but a few, Michael Schumacher, Mikka Häkkinen, Rubens Barrichello and David Coulthard would disagree with you, and I think they may know a thing or two about F1 racing...

Eddie Irvine did have an, erm, up close confrontation with him, so he may agree with you...

They all said he was a great driver blahddy blahddy blah, I've never heard anybody stand up at a funeral and say "ah yer man was an awful bollix, used to bash the missus an' all"

Eddie wasn't the only driver either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Senna wanted to win and did what he could to make it happen

When you say that he had no sportsmanship did you see the bit of the documentary where he stopped in the middle of a race and got out of his car to run over to a driver that had crashed and make sure he was ok, this in the middle of the track where he could ahve been killed?

Youa re of course entitled to your opinion that he is not great, though pretty much everybody who was around when he was alive will disagree with you

That aside I thought it was the best episode in ages though not without its faults

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

well when you cut several dozen metres off the length of the track by cutting corners hugely of course you will have a quicker time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDniupkc4g

Look at the lap again and tell me where these "several dozen metres" are? Last corner is the only one he goes wild on. You could see it was a very quick lap before clarkson even tells the time. Cruise managed to carry alot of speed through each corner and has hardly any slide in the hammerhead. Great driving even with a few gear issues.

I had been very disappointed by this series but apart from Hammonds bit I thought last nights was brilliant.

Repeated tonight 7pm bbc2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cloda

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it too.

me 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

TG is entertainment not factual. I enjoyed the show, and that's what it was, a show. I'm not gonna sit here and pick it apart. Do you do that when you go to the movies too?

Advertisement