Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving Limit

Options
  • 24-07-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey,

I'd often go for a single pint after work and was just wondering would this put me above or below the limit? I know there are loads of different factors but I always thought one was ok.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

you should be ago but as you mention "there are loads of different factors". my personal policy is not to do it. if you're drinking don't bring the car and if you have the car drink coke or blackcurrant or water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... but I always thought one was ok.
    Why?

Is there information available that says it is OK to drive after one pint?

Even if you are not legally "drunk", your attention span, reaction times, and observational abilities may be impaired, making you a danger to yourself on the road (which I frankly don't care about) or much more importantly, a danger to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Because for an average man that drinks a few pints a week, 1 pint would not put you over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

What is the limit nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

gpf101 wrote: »
    Because for an average man that drinks a few pints a week, 1 pint should not put you over the limit.
    fyp

theres no way of knowing. With the reduced limit, 1 pint may put you over the limit. I'd never chance it, even for one beer. Its not worth risking a ban and massive insurance loading for years.

When drinking - the car stays firmly at home imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

80mg/dL blood with a proposal to bring it down to 50mg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

So it's still not brought down to 50mg. They've been chatting about bringing it down to 50mg for years. What's the hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If youre not sure then dont risk it. Its only one pint; I dont think youre going to miss it somehow. You can get personal breathalizer testers in chemists if you want to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

not very i would guess.

It tells me I would be just on the limit after 2 pints (4 drinks in the calculator), i would guess that it would take a lot less to put me over the limit. Even after 1 pint I would think my reaction times etc were altered for the worse.

• Advertisement

Not in the slightest. Its telling me that if I have 3 drinks in a hour Im still just under the limit. If I have three drinks in an hour Ill be stumbling around chatting up the coat stand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nah that's not accurate or reliable. For me, 4 drinks over 3 hours would have me fairly drunk, but it's still telling me I'd be under the limit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Buy one of those breathalyzers, drink a point and test yourself.
    Wouldnt risk it myself but then again I dont drink often so dont push the risk.

Three glasses of wine would have me in a similar state tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Got bagged a few weeks ago about 30 mins after I had a large glass of wine I'd say 330mls can't be sure of the alcohol content but was with dinner - not a huge feed. I wasn't expecting to go out but got a call and had to. I'm about 5'11" and about 14/15 stone - I call it stocky! I passed but it took a good 30-45 secs I told the guard I'd had a drink and he said I was lucky the machine usual only takes that long on a failure as it's re analyzing the sample!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hey,

I'd often go for a single pint after work and was just wondering would this put me above or below the limit? I know there are loads of different factors but I always thought one was ok.

Considering a limit is 80 promille of alcohol in the blood a grown man would for 99.9% be under the limit after one pint of beer of max 5% alcohol volume.

mathepac wrote: »
    Why?

Is there information available that says it is OK to drive after one pint?

Even if you are not legally "drunk", your attention span, reaction times, and observational abilities may be impaired, making you a danger to yourself on the road (which I frankly don't care about) or much more importantly, a danger to others.

Why?
    Because that's the law.
    By law person below 80mg limit is considered sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

Confab wrote: »
    Nah that's not accurate or reliable. For me, 4 drinks over 3 hours would have me fairly drunk, but it's still telling me I'd be under the limit.
    The drink driving limit(excess alcohol in expired breath) does not indicate the state of drunkenness or otherwise per se. It is statutory Law. If you are over the limit you are over the limit, whatever the state of sobriety. However if you are under the limit and do not show other signs of drunkenness you are ok.
    Under the limit and showing signs of intoxication from alcohol or drugs or a combination of both could still result in proceedure under section 49(1) of the road traffic act on the opinion of a Garda.
    However both may be intertwined as a Garda who observes driving that gives him cause for concern has to "form an opinion" before he can administer the alcholiser.
    In other words a Garda cannot just pounce on you and demand you give a specimen of breath.
    There is now one exception to this. The Gardai can set up random checkpoints simply to demand a specimen of breath without forming any opinion. The locations and times of these checkpoints have to be designated by a Garda not below the rank of Inspector and this designation cannot be retrospective.
    In otherwords if there is not a prior designation for a random breath test checkpoint any case brought in the absence of a record of the checkpoint designation will fail in a Court.

• Advertisement

2yung2adm wrote: »
    The drink driving limit(excess alcohol in expired breath) does not indicate the state of drunkenness or otherwise per se. It is statutory Law. If you are over the limit you are over the limit, whatever the state of sobriety. However if you are under the limit and do not show other signs of drunkenness you are ok.
    Under the limit and showing signs of intoxication from alcohol or drugs or a combination of both could still result in proceedure under section 49(1) of the road traffic act on the opinion of a Garda.
    However both may be intertwined as a Garda who observes driving that gives him cause for concern has to "form an opinion" before he can administer the alcholiser.
    In other words a Garda cannot just pounce on you and demand you give a specimen of breath.
    There is now one exception to this. The Gardai can set up random checkpoints simply to demand a specimen of breath without forming any opinion. The locations and times of these checkpoints have to be designated by a Garda not below the rank of Inspector and this designation cannot be retrospective.
    In otherwords if there is not a prior designation for a random breath test checkpoint any case brought in the absence of a record of the checkpoint designation will fail in a Court.

And that shows that law is stupid.
    Every garda should be able to brethylise any driver at any time without forming any opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The only time I ever tried driving when fairly tired was a scary experience and I wouldn't do it again. I don't know how there is even debate over the limit - any alcohol is going to slow your reaction time :confused: It's not just you, it's a massive hunk of metal!
    If you want your pint take the bus...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

All this "can I have 1 pint?" bollox demonstrates why the limit should zero (or, at least, no more than trace amounts of alcohol). Remove all doubt so everyone knows where they stand.

I never have a drop if I know I'm going to drive and I have little respect for the "I only had a glass" brigade. Just don't bloody drink at all!! How frigging hard is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Quoted for truth.

@Captain Morgan - I've had a go at your calculator with a good few inputs and I've found the results to be fairly ok compared to a complex formula I use that a scientific institute came up with a couple of decades ago. The inputs are very restricted though. One just does not drink a 125ml measure of wine at 11% vol alc. Not realistic!

One factor these calculators do not and can not account for is metabolism (because it depends on the person)

Very important to emphasise the point 2yung2adm was hinting at:

Being officially over or under the legal limit is not necessarily the exact same as being unsafe or safe to drive. I really hope people get this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

All this "can I have 1 pint?" bollox demonstrates why the limit should zero (or, at least, no more than trace amounts of alcohol). Remove all doubt so everyone knows where they stand.

I never have a drop if I know I'm going to drive and I have little respect for the "I only had a glass" brigade. Just don't bloody drink at all!! How frigging hard is that?

We should just make the speed limit zero too, then we will have no more road accidents or deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

According to that calculator I'm currently somewhere around 0.01% BAC (out of a limit of 0.08%), and I can tell you right now that I'm not fit to drive - I'm barely fit to type. I might risk driving right now if the only possible alternative was someone's death, but other than that I don't intend getting behind the wheel for a good 8 hours minimum, 10 preferably.

CiniO wrote: »
    And that shows that law is stupid.
    Every garda should be able to brethylise any driver at any time without forming any opinion.
    That cannot be so and in the interest of fredom-something we have fought for, for centuries-and democracy those of us who are adhering to democratically applied laws have the right not to be stopped or hassled.
    When we loose that right it will be a sad day.
    Gardai are agents of the state and have to work within the law and the constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights...thankfully.

sesna wrote: »
    We should just make the speed limit zero too, then we will have no more road accidents or deaths.
    That is a very good point.

Perhaps the reaction times of every driver should be assessed each year and a personal speed limit applied to them according to their reactions or lack of reactions and a personal excess alcohol in the breath limit also applied.

It is all very well to say that reaction times are reduced with the consumption of alcohol. But if my reaction time is 10 on a scale of 10 and I have one pint and my reaction time goes down to 9 on the scale, am I more dangerous on the road that joe soap who has a reaction time of 5 on the same scale every time he drives on the public road? food for thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Why? ...
    Unless you are just in from the pub or are otherwise chemically impaired you'd have noticed that the original question wasn't directed at you.
    ... Because that's the law ...
    The law in question makes no such determination, check it, unless of course either of the conditions above applies (see Section 49 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 and Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act 1994)
    ... By law person below 80mg limit is considered sober.
    No they are not. To paraphrase the law, persons over that limit (or the other limits specified in law) are currently considered "to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle"; the law makes no determination as to their level of sobriety or otherwise.

• Advertisement

That cannot be so and in the interest of fredom-something we have fought for, for centuries-and democracy those of us who are adhering to democratically applied laws have the right not to be stopped or hassled.
    When we loose that right it will be a sad day.
    Gardai are agents of the state and have to work within the law and the constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights...thankfully.

That has nothing to do with freedom.
    If you decide to drive a car on a public road, you have to be aware, that you can be stopped anytime so gardai can check your license, insurance, tax, nct, roadworthiness of your car, and of course they can check if you are sober. That's at least what I think it should look like.

I don't mind being stooped for few minutes, if I know that because of that kind of actions, someone else will be also stopped, who might have been drunk and let's say if he wasn't stopped he could have crashed into me.

Advertisement