Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy racer habits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Age has everything to do with it !!!!!!!!!!!!! its called being imature

Don't have to be an old sod to be mature.

Suppose, a young lad making some noise is worse then an old lad thundering down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

To the OP

For me the definition of a boy racer is one of the following:
    1): A fellow who goes up through the available selection of cogs on his box within a 100m stretch of road between two red lights..

2): when stopped at a junction or lights looks very busy behind the wheel. He kinda looks like a pilot making pre-flight checks on all the cheap dials showing stuff like, voltage, vaccum (not boost) and oil pressure. These need to be checked on regular intervals otherwise the sub 2000cc engine may explode.

3): Boom tiss boom tiss boom tiss boom tiss boom tiss boom tiss boom tiss.

4): 1st gear..waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. 10mph
    2nd gear waahhgrhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah 24mph
    3rd gear wahhrrgghaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah 38mph
    ................and so forth.

Being one in a previous life nearly 20 years ago I still look back at my first car with fond memories. To me it was as fast at the starship enterprise. To most of my neighbours at the time it was a tarted desecrated Japanese heap of noise. All part of growing up I guess! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

CarMuppet wrote: »
    To the OP

1): A fellow who goes up through the available selection of cogs on his box within a 100m stretch of road between two red lights..

2): when stopped at a junction or lights looks very busy behind the wheel. He kinda looks like a pilot making pre-flight checks on all the cheap dials showing stuff like, voltage, vaccum (not boost) and oil pressure. These need to be checked on regular intervals otherwise the sub 2000cc engine may explode.

Being one in a previous life nearly 20 years ago I still look back at my first car with fond memories. To me it was as fast at the starship enterprise. To most of my neighbours at the time it was a tarted desecrated Japanese heap of noise. All part of growing up I guess! :)

You have such a way with words! It's almost like being there! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

To the OP

5: Drive with window down. Look across at people while stopped at lights (while looking stressed/busy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

To the OP

Classic....particularly number 2....:D

• Advertisement

To the OP

I would think most boy racers wouldn't leave first till 6000rpm is seen when they are trying to look the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

We were driving along a main road the other night at about half 10. There were 4 cars in a line going down the road, we were the last car, boy racer in front of us, and obviously a learner driver at the top slowing everyone down. We were only stuck behind for 30 seconds Max, but you should have seen the car in front of us? By the looks of it there were about 4/5 lads in it, the car was swerving from side to side, tyring to overtake or undertake the 2 cars in front of it.

When the top 2 cars turned of the road, the traffic lights just turned amber. Boy racer car speads to try and make the lights, the light is red for about 2 seconds by the time it reaches it so he has to screech to a halt in the middle of the pedestrian walking. Light turns green, boy racer doesnt move, 10 seconds later we beep the horn to get them to move. Two lads stick their heads out the window "scweeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh" then drives off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CraftWork

I'm all for driving fast on National and regional roads but if something happens in a built up area,
    ok to kill someone in the country.?

@ whoever mentioned pizzas:Ring the pizza place and tell them you will not buy from them while he works there. And complain him to guards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

well its to match the revs with the speed if the gears for goin down the gears if ya have an uprated clutch so it wont judder the car like a lerner driver because there is little - no slippage on the clutch. its just more for cumfort in daily driving and on the track it helps keep the lap times down by a tiny fraction and keeps the car more stable going into corners when pushing it hard

Is there any downside to double clutching, like does it put more strain or wear and tear on the clutch or gears or anything, or is there a risk of damaging anything if its not done right? Its something Id love to know how to do but Im afraid to try it in my car in case I damage something...

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Alright fair enough you know who owns it. But back to your original point :p, Yeh the driver is an idiot, the only thing that will make him learn though is when he finally hits someone :mad: .
    Why not report it to the Gards, if they ever caught him acting like this they'd have other complaints in their pulse system which wouldn't do him any favours.

You can be damn sure that if he makes a habit of driving like this then the guards know full well who he is and how he drives. I used to loosely associate with some guys who would be considered boy racers, and they used to get stopped and their names taken fairly regularly, often for just parking up and chatting. The guards are well aware of these guys.

• Advertisement

To the OP

Haha its all so true, especially the second point which I never really thought about until now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

djimi wrote: »
    Is there any downside to double clutching, like does it put more strain or wear and tear on the clutch or gears or anything, or is there a risk of damaging anything if its not done right? Its something Id love to know how to do but Im afraid to try it in my car in case I damage something...

If you do it wrong, it'll wear the synco rings in the box, and possibly notch the teeth in the gear wheels. Doing it wrong is usually accompnied by a horrible grinding noise on a syncro box (like every 'box since the 50's)

The art of double clutching is needed when driving a car with no syncros in the box (pre war vintage usually), you've got no clutch cable or if you're driving a car with a dog box. A dog engagement box is used in motorsport as there is less transmission loss compared to a syncro box, but they are maintenance heavy, noisy and not at all smooth.

OP - The fool is trying to give the impression that the car has a motorsport style dog box. It's all part of the "thing". I guess the fool hasn't a clue how to double declutch. I learned on a hire car, and it was useful when a clutch cable snapped on me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CraftWork

. The guards are well aware of these guys.
    do they do anything bar taking names?

Sorry going slightly ot but do the councils have obligation under the eu directive 2002/49 as disscussed at 21 July here about 30 mins in i think

CraftWork wrote: »
    do they do anything bar taking names?

Sorry going slightly ot but do the councils have obligation under the eu directive 2002/49 as disscussed at 21 July here about 30 mins in i think

Most of the time they are not doing a whole lot wrong. Even if they are driving thru a town revving their engines so long as they are not breaking noise pollution laws or the speed limit then the guards cant do much more then take names and tell them to move on. Thats from my experience anyway. Obviously if they are speeding or doing something dangerous then its a different matter.

ianobrien wrote: »
    If you do it wrong, it'll wear the synco rings in the box, and possibly notch the teeth in the gear wheels. Doing it wrong is usually accompnied by a horrible grinding noise on a syncro box (like every 'box since the 50's)

The art of double clutching is needed when driving a car with no syncros in the box (pre war vintage usually), you've got no clutch cable or if you're driving a car with a dog box. A dog engagement box is used in motorsport as there is less transmission loss compared to a syncro box, but they are maintenance heavy, noisy and not at all smooth.

OP - The fool is trying to give the impression that the car has a motorsport style dog box. It's all part of the "thing". I guess the fool hasn't a clue how to double declutch. I learned on a hire car, and it was useful when a clutch cable snapped on me.....

Thats what Im afraid of... Maybe Ill get my old car going again to give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

there is no point really in learning how to do it unless you have a track car or up-rated parts in the gearbox and need to do it.....

to whoever was making a joke over my head or whatever:rolleyes: i honistly dont care if ya dont bileve me or whatever, but here is some pics just to prove i do have one and not bull****ting....http://s793.photobucket.com/home/robdsherlockra
    and if your going to sleek fx on sunday, see ya at the drag strip

I think its just one of those things Id like to be able to do rather than something I would do on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Most of the time they are not doing a whole lot wrong. Even if they are driving thru a town revving their engines so long as they are not breaking noise pollution laws or the speed limit then the guards cant do much more then take names and tell them to move on. Thats from my experience anyway. Obviously if they are speeding or doing something dangerous then its a different matter.

These are the idiots that are the main cause of public annoyance.

Creating loud noises just to draw attention and in the meantime it just pisses off the general public.

I would gladly support an law that outlines and bans anti social behaviour like that.

Meeting up and having a chat is grand but the idiots that constantly drive up and down towns, flashing and beeping at each other while revving the tits off their 1400cc engines should be stopped, the public would instantly have less to complain about when it comes to proper modified/performance car owners then.

draffodx wrote: »

Creating loud noises just to draw attention and in the meantime it just pisses off the general public.

I would gladly support an law that outlines and bans anti social behaviour like that.

Meeting up and having a chat is grand but the idiots that constantly drive up and down towns, flashing and beeping at each other while revving the tits off their 1400cc engines should be stopped, the public would instantly have less to complain about when it comes to proper modified/performance car owners then.

i totally agree with you, it even anoyes most of the people who are enthuiasts that other gob****es driving around town all day and night showing off there cool ****boxes, prob even more than the normal joe soap because not only is it very irratating it makes us look bad too!!

only prob i would see with bringing in a law is that it would catch a lot of decent people with mod/performance cars too just for driving and all mod cars will then be thrown in together into the same spot where we really dont want to end up, un less there was a legislation that could identify the difference i wouldn support it, but if there was i would be all for it, along with the rest of the country:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I've noticed a mad decrease of "boy racers" around the towns/cities. Very few ****eboxes on the road and less noise.
    Now motorbikes, thats a noise I hate. Everyday at the same time, some tool is drivin up and down the road for an hour not going past first gear. Always going up the revs, slowing down and etc. Needed to get that out.

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong, I completely agree with you, and as someone who drives an Integra and often gets bracketed in with these dickheads even tho I have nothing to do with them I would love nothing more than to see them dealt with, but I was just pointing out that as it stands unless they are breaking a law the guards cant really do much more than just move them on.

The problem is that its impossible for most people to tell the difference between a proper modified car (most of whom have very careful respectful owners), a non-modified import like mine (which just because its white it immediately the devil even tho its no louder than most cars on the road) and some plank with a Saxo who has put thousands of quid worth of stupid modifications into a car worth €500, who drivers thru town revving their engine and generally acting like a complete prat. We all get tarnished with the same reputation by everyone, general public and guards, and for that reason I would love nothing more than to see the later (the "boy racers" for want of a better term) dealt with so that those who are genuinely into their cars without looking to cause a public disturbance are free to get on with it without prejudice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes, ban everything!
    The Irish answer to every problem, just get more laws that will be ignored anyway.
    There are plenty of laws already to deal with dangerous or careless driving and noise pollution.
    The problem of the Irish is that you have every law in the book, you make Germany look like anarchy.
    What do the Gards do? Tax, insurance, graaand, off to the deli.
    What happens next?
    The laws we have are not working, we need more laws!
    No you don't, you need enforcement!
    In Ireland you can littler, speed, drink-drive, not wear a seatbelt, anything you want as long as you know where and when to do it.
    The reason that sh*t doesn't happen in other countries is the fact that you will misbehave and wake up in a cell the next morning.
    There is a REAL threat of consequences.
    If you get busted here you get off with a warning, you have to actually commit murder to get locked up for life (i.e.2 years)
    The small anti social element don't care because they know they don't have to care.

i totally agree with you, it even anoyes most of the people who are enthuiasts that other gob****es driving around town all day and night showing off there cool ****boxes, prob even more than the normal joe soap because not only is it very irratating it makes us look bad too!!

only prob i would see with bringing in a law is that it would catch a lot of decent people with mod/performance cars too just for driving and all mod cars will then be thrown in together into the same spot where we really dont want to end up, un less there was a legislation that could identify the difference i wouldn support it, but if there was i would be all for it, along with the rest of the country:)

It's all true and I agree with you both. But again the general non-car-enthusiast-motoring public does not know the difference between a beautiful Jag-E v12 and a Starlet holed exhaust! Therefore trying to explain to someone the difference between that said Starlet and, say, an Evo is impossible let alone legislate for.

In my experience I’ve had the luck to drive and be a passenger in plenty of performance cars over the years. The Gardai on the whole are a smart bunch lads (and lassies!) and use their discretion when pulling modified cars to the side of the road. They know instantly if a car is serious or not, and more importantly, can size up the attitude of the driver too. I’m not a Garda, this is just my experience.

Just want to make one point: Just because a car is worth a lot of money it does not mean the driver is a responsible person. I’ve worked with lads over time with more money than sense. They drove genuinely well prepared cars but they were a danger on the roads. Conversely I’ve helped out people personalise their cars that didn’t have a heap of cash to spend. They were into the aesthetic look i.e. a car that was a sheep in wolves clothing. I’m not personally into that, but I won’t criticised them either as they were considerate drivers on the roads.

My point here, long winded and all, is it may be hard to make a law to distinguish BoyRacers from genuine motoring enthusiasts.

i thik the nail has bien hit on the head:D
    but the debate on weather its a boy racer or enthuisast car brings us to where we are today and what has bien said above, its spotting the difference and actions made by the person behind the wheel more so than anything else which is so hard to do unless you know the person, which is prob why after so long we still have the debate about the different groupes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

i thik the nail has bien hit on the head:D
    but the debate on weather its a boy racer or enthuisast car brings us to where we are today and what has bien said above, its spotting the difference and actions made by the person behind the wheel more so than anything else which is so hard to do unless you know the person, which is prob why after so long we still have the debate about the different groupes

We need a law to arrest everyone who is not a proper modified car enthusiast!:D

You've missed my point.

My point is that if legislation is drawn up detailing what anti social behaviour in a car is, ie:

Revving an exhaust excessively in a built up area,
    Constant driving up and down a town,
    Constant flashing and beeping,
    Excessive tailgating within a built up area,
    Holding up traffic so you can speed up behind it.

Then no one needs to know the difference between a boy racer and someone into their cars.

The Gardai simply observe someone doing the above over a period of time, they issue them a fine and keep doing them for it until they stop. No one has to be able to tell the difference, the public annoyance's get fined, the public see less of it and real car enthusiast's get less flak and can get on with enjoying their car in a mature manner that doesn't cause annoyance to the general public.

My only concern would be if the legislation targeted proper meets, if something was put in protecting them then it would be win win.

You've missed my point.

My point is that if legislation is drawn up detailing what anti social behaviour in a car is, ie:

Revving an exhaust excessively in a built up area,
    Constant driving up and down a town,
    Constant flashing and beeping,
    Excessive tailgating within a built up area,
    Holding up traffic so you can speed up behind it.

Then no one needs to know the difference between a boy racer and someone into their cars.

The Gardai simply observe someone doing the above over a period of time, they issue them a fine and keep doing them for it until they stop. No one has to be able to tell the difference, the public annoyance's get fined, the public see less of it and real car enthusiast's get less flak and can get on with enjoying their car in a mature manner that doesn't cause annoyance to the general public.

My only concern would be if the legislation targeted proper meets, if something was put in protecting them then it would be win win.

I've read this and I understand what you propose... and I agree with you totally 100%.

My issue is that you're still going to have Mr-annoying-Joe-the-neighbour-in-number-22 calling the Gardai every Sunday morning at 11am when you or I take our weekend car out for a spin. “Your man is off in his loud yoke again, revving and changing gears, it’s a disgrace I tell you.. he needs to be locked up!”

I still find it difficult to see how 'annoyances' can be properly legislated for. The main problem is a government with a green-element will end up tarring ALL internality combustion engined hobbies as C02 polluting and do their best to push both enthusiast and BoyRacerss of the road. Couple that with RSA propaganda you will not get the laws you want, nor, the fidelity to define difference between an enthusiast or a BR.

Some of the examples you propose above, IMO, are already covered under un-enforced laws such as tailgating or dangerous driving. I agree with the principle of creating a law that fines people for acting the a$$ on the road but I just don’t see how this government would have the interest to create them.

Maybe I'm probably not explaining my point properly here, but in short I agree with you but it will be impossible to swing the public or the law makers to this way of thinking. I’m afraid each year I feel any hobby involving motoring is becoming a dirty word. Motoring is a great form of tax revenue, it’s not seen as a ‘lifestyle’ if you know what I mean…

Yes I agree my proposal would only work in an ideal world where we're not governed by morons and two thirds of the country aren't politically correct whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 super106

you make me laugh,

its called heel and toe. I walk my dogs too and love to see people driving well... motorsport like. I do hate Levin drivers, they seem to be the thing with the lads and lil girlies !!!

the originator of this thread probably owns a carina E lean burn, or a family man in his scenic and roof box .

• Advertisement

super106 wrote: »
    you make me laugh,

its called heel and toe. I walk my dogs too and love to see people driving well... motorsport like. I do hate Levin drivers, they seem to be the thing with the lads and lil girlies !!!

the originator of this thread probably owns a carina E lean burn, or a family man in his scenic and roof box .

how is it heal and toe if they are going up the gears??
    heal and toe is used in agressave driving going down the gears, tapping the accelerator going down the gears in relativly normal speeds

Advertisement