Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh start

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Goodwood 2.10

Gee Dee Nen @ 20/1 1pt ew

Fresh and in form from chasing Gee Dee Nen hasn't been run over the extended marathon distance on the flat but is surely going to stay after reasonable efforts recently over 2m6f in a chase and a listed handicap hurdle last NH season. He's 6lbs below his last winning mark on the flat so reasonably handicapped. He hasn't got an awful lot of pace but may be overpriced and could take a hand in the finish if the pace is strong enough or if he's close enough to it. Junior should set a good pace but may be hard pushed to follow up from Ascot after a 8lbs rise.

Goodwood 3.25

Beethoven 1pt ew @ 33/1

Overpriced. 4l behind Canford Cliffs at Ascot last time on his first run of the season. He was a surprise winner of the Dewhurst last year but he had the talent to win it. He acquited himself well in the States running without Lasix and ended a very long season there. These were all runs using the visor that allegedly got him to win the Dewhurst but had excuses both runs. Fit after Ascot I think he could give a bold show getting weight from the older horses. O'Brien says this run will bring him and RVW on further for the season so no big bets but I'd be tempted to make it a 2pt ew. Joseph O' Brien got on well enough with him last time and its no worry that he's steering without a claim

Redcar 4.55

Aussie Blue 1pt win @ 7/1 VC, Bet365

Interesting runner at Redcar today, ran well enough last time to suggest he might be finding some form again. He's won at the track and placed a few times. His won off 55 over CD and is 59 now with a 5lbs claimer on board so is technically running of his lowest mark since winning here in June last year - feasibly weighted. Both rider and trainer have had a winner lately. The David Barron horse is probably the most dangerous rival in his first handicap.

Redcar 6.05

Micky Mac 1pt win @ 15/2 VC

Dale Swift booking is always eye catching and after his Glorious win in the first at Goodwood yesterday (can't believe I wasn't on!) he takes a single ride at Redcar today. Micky Mac hasn't been running too bad of late and Swifts 5lb claim will give him a great opportunity to trouble the warm favorite Clerical. Hes won over 7f and 9f in the past and may just appreciate the extra furlong stepped back up after a win under Fallon at 5f. He has placed in 3 of his last 4 trys at 6f and again touching his last winning mark with the claim in place. Worth a pt at decent odds of 15/2

Disastrous withdrawal makes the Beethoven selection a no-brainer. 7 runners, 2 places, It'll take a bit of a miracle for Beethoven to get into the first two.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Know well,I had said on another thread about backing it for the place at 7/2,which seemed huge.

Bank: -22

In Play: 1

Fcuk

Bank: -23

Lessons:
    Amy Ryan is very weak
    Beethoven is still worth following
    Gee Dee Nen is seriously slow
    Micky Mac will win one with a claimer on board

Goodwood 2.45

Mister Manannan 1pt win @ 20/1 Will Hill, PP

Has form at the course when beaten by Monsieur Chevallier last year at the meeting. Judging by that run, his win at Ayr and his action he likes the sharp sprint courses where hes able to assert coming down the hill. Bearing this in mind he has a few front runners to contend with in Captain Dunne, Glamorous Spirit, Moorhouse Lad, maybe the american horse and one or two others. My angle in on this is his ability to handle the idiosyncrasies of track. Its a track that has shown to suit front runners through out the meeting so far. Two of the aforementioned are drawn directly to his inside - Starfish Bay who will have no racing experience on a track of this nature and Glamorous Spirit who won a G3 in Ireland lately. I'm not going ew because theres no real telling if he'll run any type of race but if he's there on his best he has a chance of winning.

:eek: Goodwood Double :eek:

Age Of Aquarius @ 11/8

Class and form mean this should be relatively easy for Age Of Aquarius. He's getting 3lbs from G1 winner Kite Wood and Tactic took advantage of some tactics to get Profound Beauty beaten in Ireland in a race that didn't suit the mare. Fully wound up for the Gold Cup he should still be thereabouts coming out relatively quickly and ought to take this.

Flying Cloud @ 11/4

Godolphin aren't firing on all cylinders recently but that hasn't stopped the big guns from performing when it matters. Flying Cloud has plenty in hand in this race from what I can see. It won't be as easy as it looks on paper but she has the speed and the class to brush aside these rivals. Some may be improving but they would need to see Flying Cloud under perform to take this

Double @ 7.9/1

Kite Wood a non runner in Age of Aquarius' race,that's one less Group 1 winning rival to contend with.

• Advertisement

Age of Aquarius is the first horse I've backed that has broken down on the track. :(

That price was too short for me. Thankfully. Hope he's alright.

11/8 was reasonable.

I hope he's ok too

Nulty wrote: »
    11/8 was reasonable.

I hope he's ok too

I thought 11/8 was excellent value,but 4/6 isn't. Any word yet from channel 4?

greetings wrote: »
    I thought 11/8 was excellent value,but 4/6 isn't. Any word yet from channel 4?

From the Racing Post:
    The horse was soon loaded into the horse ambulance and taken to a veterinary unit in Arundel, and Goodwood clerk of the course Seamus Buckley intends to make a statement later.

:P

Dusty Trail

I had no money on it...such is my confidence

http://www.gg.com/tipzone/tipsterprofile.php?id=7056

Bank: -25

Goodwood 2.45

Bagamoyo 1pt win @ 11/1 Ladbrokes

Trainer James Franshaw has a good record in sprint handicaps and this is useful horse he has entered in the 2.45. The yard has over 20% record at Goodwood and is in form at the moment. The horse performs well in large fields of 14+ so shouldn't be bothered by the hustle and bustle of the 29 runners in this race. Drawn in the middle of the track will have to rely on gaps opening up because of he seems to be covered up most of the time. Eddie Ahern takes the ride and can be a capable jock on his day. The horse finds it hard to get his head in front but has a good chance of at least a place.

Aye Aye Digby 1pt ew @ 25/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds, 5 places)

I also like Aye Aye Digby here. Its certainly a worry that the Boyle stable has not been in form for almost 5 months with a winner here and there. Aye Aye Digby though ran a decent race last time at Epsom which has a similar profile to Goodwoods sprint course. The horse has run well at Goodwood before and may have a sneaky chance in a good outside draw at tempting odds. His overall form picked up when concentrating on the 6f last year and back at a complimentary track could out run his current price

Keep going Nulty,the winners will start soon.

Goodwood 3.25

Spectait 1pt ew @ 50/1 Blue Square

Has been improving every run this year (42l, 17l, 7l) and could be capable of putting in a good performance despite his huge odds. He's won this in 2006 and was second in this last year albeit with a run of good form in the book up to that point. The horse that beat him last year was in first time headgear and this year Spectait takes that opportuninty with cheekpieces. It seems that Jonjo O'Neill has been training the horse for this race in particular, or maybe its his last hurrah before going National Hunt. Either way he'll have to switch out wide to get a run like he did last year.

Webbow 3pts ew @ 12/1

Scrapes in off bottom weight, 4th in this last year, plum draw, cheekpieces first time and an able 3lb claimer (same jock as last year)....looks a fantastic bet to me. I'm prepared to go in with a fair sized bet here. He met trouble about a furlong from home last year and powered home after to nick 4th. As with all these big handicaps, you need to get luck in running. Hopefully the cheekpieces will liven him up and he'll be able to hold his position and travel well through the race to take the opportunities he may get on the rail. The horse/jock combination has yielded finishing positions of 232445 so a place-finish looks like an likely outcome. The two 4ths came in handicaps of 19 runners so ew money landed. He is in as good form as ever without actually winning, finishing only behind Himalya on the stands side and 2l behind the winner in the Buckingham Stakes at the Royal meeting staying on over 7f. The mile is his optimum trip and the draw will be essential to his chances of getting his first win since 2008. He's getting on in years but the ability is still there and he'll be trying right up until the line.

PS.
    I had 1pt Ante Post on Treadwell for this so it could be an expensive race :eek:

greetings wrote: »
    Keep going Nulty,the winners will start soon.

Thanks greetings. Whether the good times are enough to make up for the bad times?...we'll wait and see!

I'll go until I get tired of it. I'd say I'll be pulling my hair out in a week or two.

• Advertisement

Goodwood 5.15

Tabassum 2pts ew

Forgiving horses too many times often leads to empty pockets. I'm prepared to do this once more in this log for Tabassum who pulled way too hard coming from the worst draw on reappearance in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot. She was a promising Guineas contender earlier this year only to be withdrawn when not ready in time. Stoute obviously thinks its worth persevering with her at this level despite the run last time and he price may be greater than her chances of winning. This time shes drawn well enough that Hills can decide where to go with her without using too much gas and the nature of the track should help get a good position if he chooses to bounce her out. Shes bred to get 8f+ but has enough natural speed to win over 7 at the highest level. Hills is a good man to have at the front of a race and if the filly is ready she ought to give a good account of herself. The favorite is difficult to oppose but a poor draw leaves her with a tougher task than appears on paper.

Clarifying bet conditions:
    I'm only going to make this bet if theres at least 8 runners and her price is 5/1 or above

Nulty wrote: »
    Goodwood 5.15

Tabassum 2pts ew

Forgiving horses too many times often leads to empty pockets. I'm prepared to do this once more in this log for Tabassum who pulled way too hard coming from the worst draw on reappearance in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot. She was a promising Guineas contender earlier this year only to be withdrawn when not ready in time. Stoute obviously thinks its worth persevering with her at this level despite the run last time and he price may be greater than her chances of winning. This time shes drawn well enough that Hills can decide where to go with her without using too much gas and the nature of the track should help get a good position if he chooses to bounce her out. Shes bred to get 8f+ but has enough natural speed to win over 7 at the highest level. Hills is a good man to have at the front of a race and if the filly is ready she ought to give a good account of herself. The favorite is difficult to oppose but a poor draw leaves her with a tougher task than appears on paper.

Clarifying bet conditions:
    I'm only going to make this bet if theres at least 8 runners and her price is 5/1 or above

8/1 Sky Bet & Totesport

Bank: -28

Goodwood 3.40 (very difficult!)

Kaldoun Kingdom 1pt ew @ 20/1 PP

He's a horse in the form of his life for a trainer in form but hes drawn on the unpopular side. Fahey was left with 5 of the last 9 to choose a draw but all his horses are decent and they make the low draw reasonably attractive. Kaldoun Kingdom has the beating of many in this field including the more fancied runners like Johnny Mudball and Johannes. He absolutely loves these big heritage handicaps and has won 3 and finished second in 2 of his last six 17+ runner handicaps. Last time out he finished quater of a length second to the ante post favorite Hawkeyethenoo in the Sky Bet Dash at York and with the same jock on board ought to be worth a few shekels at 20/1.

Parisian Pyramid 1pt ew @ 22/1 PP

A prominant racer also supposedly drawn badly will provide pace on the near side. He'll have the rail to run against to aid his effort coming from stall 1. He's another in great form with his last four results 1513. The first of those wins came here at Goodwood beating off Johnny Mudball. Clearly I like the form of that race in York because Parisian Pyramid finished just behind Kaldoun Kingdom and Hawkeyethenoo. The form of that race has been boosted with Tiddlywinks, the 4th home in the Stewards Sprint today albeit at a lower level than todays race. This is a much tougher race again but ought to be well placed to avoid trouble and has a decent opportunity.

Goodwood 3.05

Midday 1pt @ 9/4 Will Hill Lads

Easily the pick on form. As soon as I get confident about something, it blows up in my face so I'll be subtle....She should win this. If Sariska was in the field, shed win but Sariska is not in the race so Midday will win. Simple. The French challenge could be strong but Stacelita beat Group 3 fillies last time and still has form to find at this level since being awarded the race from Dar Re Mi at Longchamp. Rosanara could be very smart too but has only form on softish ground and cant be fully assessed on the ground she'll be on tomorrow. Last year Midday beat Rainbow View on merit and not due to the soft going. Her best form comes on a firmer surface and can be expected to run to form. Her last two runs should see her home in front. Due to the unpredicatable nature of her opponents, I'm taking no chances though and only having a small bet. I couldn't argue with a bet on Stacelita going on her Arc form though.

Goodwood 1.55

Wadnaan 1pt win @ 5/1 PP

10l winner at Beverley last time. Carries a 6lbs penalty for that but the handicapper will surely put him up another 3lbs so he is effectively well in. That win came on Tuesday and should theoretically still be in that sort of form. Strike wile the iron is hot as they say. This is much tougher than that race but he takes his chance here and he is likely to be up on the pace. A Mark Johnston horse is rarely easy to pass and Wadnaan should prove no different. Cumanis horse was still green on his second career start and didn't seem to have a lot of speed so I've taken Wadnaan to hold on out in front. There are a couple of others at least with claims - no less than 9 come here with a win in their last two races. But I'm hoping Wadnaan picks it up like so many of Johnstons before and rolls on up to listed class starting here.

Goodwood 2.30

Treadwell 1pt @ 4/1 Bet365

Winner of the Buckingham stakes at Ascot and the form hasn't been brilliant but the reliable horses there (Himalya & Webbow) have performed well since. I've tipped Himalya and Webbow in this thread and both finished 3rd in their races. I hope this doesn't continue because Treadwell looks a good colt and runs at his best on firmer surfaces. Its not certain that Sea Lord will take up the engagement after his Totesport Mile win on Friday so Treadwell could be left at the top of the market and being by Guineas winner Footstepsinthesand and out of a Sadlers Wells mare he's bred for the extra furlong. Its another competitive race so just the one point but I'd like to see him win it as much as I'd like to pick up a few shekels for myself.

Deauville 5.15

Rumoush 2pts

Will have to see if the bookies are giving odds on this tomorrow and what her price is and see what the Pari is like. One I'd say a lot of people are interested in.

Goodwood 3.40

Prime Exhibit 1pt ew @ 33/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds, 5 places)

I'm going in again on the Stewards Cup. Rain on watered ground has thrown my selections into the bin. Its cutting up out there with turf flying and the give in the ground wont suit everyone so I'm taking Prime Exhibit because he performed well on soft going at Doncaster and now has the impressive John Fahy Dale Swift on board taking 5lbs. The conditions will challenge some of the others but will play to Prime Exhibits strengths.

Incidentally, Paddy Power are paying 5 places also.

I'd have more luck throwing darts :(

19th, 20th and 22nd in the Stewards Cup.

• Advertisement

Bank:-35.75 :o

Chester 3.30

Queen's Grace 1pt @ 8/1 PP

Leaps out of the stalls at the off and likes to race handy. This will help her get a useful position early at a track that requires an inside sit. Her last two runs can be informative because she travelled very well up until her stamina ran out in two G3 races around the 5.5f mark. her bounce out of the stalls shows she'll be capable around a tight track like Chester and shes placed in a listed race on Soft ground as a two year old. The Morrison yard is in form and does well around Chester also. She gets the fillies and 3yo allowance here.

Advertisement