Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Gabber - never gabba.

"Gabber" is very old Amsterdam-Yiddish slang, it would be the equivalent of "homeboy" or "homie". The music got it's name from the way that the kids coming in to buy the first wave of the harder records that came out would always call the guy behind the counter their "gabber" when asking for tunes.

Thanks for the info......never knew (or took much notice) that there was a difference......i thought it was Gabba & it got transformed to Gabber as a kind of pre suffix to replace 'Amster' or 'Rotter' to make 'Gabberdam' in a tribute kind of way to the cities where it was born.
    The equivalent of people calling Techno "Tekno"

Illiteracy, basically.

Nuting to do wit iliterasy frend, jus ignirinse.......i luv dat Tekno wen im mad ourrivit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 The_ONeill

I actually enjoy the sound of gabber. I think it's due a revival in some capacity, in the same way 2-step garage was wrote off until Burial and the likes redefined it. Unexplored sound that maybe hasn't reached its full potential.
    At the moment I think the likes of Gabba Front Berlin are doing something a bit more interesting.
    Also the Gabba/Gabber argument earlier in this thread... illiteracy? Get a fúcking grip.

Hardcore/gabber has a massive following it's just underground and will never get any real exposure in ireland like house/trance/hard dance etc..

Hardcore is the business, 2fm should put on a small 45 min hard show early sunday morning. The 50 people in ireland who listen to hardcore would be very happy, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

The term Gabber was used in the 90's when dutch hardcore people used to call themselves Gabber,it is actually Dutch for Buddy and people still use it today for that.

Since alot of folk who dont know think Hardcore has something to do with metal,people can use Hardcore Techno or Gabber to describe it.
    Also people think of UK Happy Hardcore which is consider ****e by the majority of people into Hardcore

But to anyone within the scene it's Hardcore and it's many sub generes - Mainstream,Industrial,Speedcore,Terror,Uk Style,Breakcore and many others

It used to be just a dutch style but in the last 10 years the Italian have been challenging the trone,especially in the mainstream style,most noteably Dj D,he emcopasses the mainstream style,heavy on hip hop smaples standard hard kick and trance like melody.

Whereas Industrial Hardcore has really taken off in last few years,i attended Thunderdome XV in 2007 and the main arena was dedicated to Future sounds with the likes of Unexist,The Outside Agency and The Dj Producer head lining.

Here is classic new style Industrial track from The Outside Agency

There are very few people in Ireland into hardcore and Hardstyle and Techno are different generes altogether.

Thats my take on it anyway,still love it,Hardcore will never die you pussy mutha****erzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

gavkm27 wrote: »
    The term Gabber was used in the 90's when dutch hardcore people used to call themselves Gabber,it is actually Dutch for Buddy and people still use it today for that.

Since alot of folk who dont know think Hardcore has something to do with metal,people can use Hardcore Techno or Gabber to describe it.
    Also people think of UK Happy Hardcore which is consider ****e by the majority of people into Hardcore

But to anyone within the scene it's Hardcore and it's many sub generes - Mainstream,Industrial,Speedcore,Terror,Uk Style,Breakcore and many others

It used to be just a dutch style but in the last 10 years the Italian have been challenging the trone,especially in the mainstream style,most noteably Dj D,he emcopasses the mainstream style,heavy on hip hop smaples standard hard kick and trance like melody.

Whereas Industrial Hardcore has really taken off in last few years,i attended Thunderdome XV in 2007 and the main arena was dedicated to Future sounds with the likes of Unexist,The Outside Agency and The Dj Producer head lining.

Here is classic new style Industrial track from The Outside Agency

There are very few people in Ireland into hardcore and Hardstyle and Techno are different generes altogether.

Thats my take on it anyway,still love it,Hardcore will never die you pussy mutha****erzzzz

Nice little bit of info there ha :) ah it would seriously be class if could get some kinda decent hardcore scene going in Ireland even trying to get a night going somewhere is hard seeing as the ****ing snobbery towards this type of music is bollox *You like hardcore your a knacker with no taste* :pac:

Nice little bit of info there ha :) ah it would seriously be class if could get some kinda decent hardcore scene going in Ireland even trying to get a night going somewhere is hard seeing as the ****ing snobbery towards this type of music is bollox *You like hardcore your a knacker with no taste* :pac:

There is a bit of a scene up north,they are defo way more into it,but as for Dublin forget it,Endymion and Lenny Dee played in Belfast recently

Seriously though,all my knacker friends are'nt into it,they prefer Hardstyle and Uk Happy Hardcore.It's kinda weird how there is no real scene at all in Ireland.But it's small place,we did try years ago to get something going in Galway but it did'nt work

• Advertisement

Ya the UK stuff is popular with teens and u can see why :p mostly watered down rubbish.

Although saying that some of it aint the worst i have heard of raves happening up north and Masters of hardcore were in the UK before Scotland i think it was.

I have showed a fair few of me mates who are into the electronic music scene and who dj and set up nights in Dublin and its kinda 50/50 for them.
    They can stick some of it for awhile but as soon as i turn the harder stuff on they lose interest :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Im not trying to rise anyone but that's toxic stuff.... Surely there's some really good gabber that people can post? This stuff with ****ty synths running through it is just cringeworthy and I cant even last 10 seconds listening to it.

I think ill stick to the 'schranz / hardtechno' side of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Flashcore is where it's at though
    Flashcore is an avant-garde electronic style characterized by complex transcompositional rhythmic structures and extratone beat sequences (often exceeding 1000 bpm) combined with harsh, densely textured "acousmatic" and "hyperdelic" digital soundscapes. These aspects, among others (such as favouring new sounds over drum emulation in order to create beats), render Flashcore undanceable and highly distinct among the genres it grew out of, such as Breakcore, Speedcore, and the overall DJ culture. As stated by La Peste in the "Flashcore Manifesto", the aim of Flashcore is to act directly on the brain by utilizing new audio software technologies to control and manipulate sonic particles at the atomic level, creating fractal-like layers of abstract "nano-audio explosions" that are said to induce transcendent states and other psychological responses in the listener. These states have been compared to the meditative nature of Dubstep and the effects of hallucinogenic drugs. Flashcore's main proponents include the aforementioned La Peste, UndaCova/Atomhead, Sedarka, Neurocore and Kaebin Yield. Many Flashcore artists profess an affinity for Modern Classical composition techniques, an influence that is evident in their technical sound designs, use of acousmatic decomposition, timbre experimentation, and conceptual physical/mental approach.

Trying to find a link to the Flashcore Manifesto - basically a repudiation of all the manipulative druggy predictability of 99.9% of every that Speedcore etc turned into.

Here it is - required reading, especially for you Mr Cairns.

http://www.spannered.org/music/1181/

Im not trying to rise anyone but that's toxic stuff.... Surely there's some really good gabber that people can post? This stuff with ****ty synths running through it is just cringeworthy and I cant even last 10 seconds listening to it.

Like all music worth listening to, it takes a while before you catch on to labels and artists that produce what you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D74FGXRw_c

Here's a tune I made, thought it was class at the time but it sounds rough now, haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Rt_plzcKk

Saw dj bone and dj rush in manchester last week, good hard techno!

• Advertisement

Fully agree - Gabber was ruined when hardstyle came along and the likes of Angerfist went all synthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Stormtrooper was in Waterford back in February. Twas some session. A few heads around into it. Most people when they hear for the first time don't know what to think but after a good few kicks have dropped in and out they get.

The_ONeill wrote: »
    Like all music worth listening to, it takes a while before you catch on to labels and artists that produce what you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D74FGXRw_c

Here's a tune I made, thought it was class at the time but it sounds rough now, haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Rt_plzcKk

Saw dj bone and dj rush in manchester last week, good hard techno!

Sounds good to me i liked it.

Music scenes change over time and develope into different things im not mad about alot new hardcore as its gone to mainstream almost prefer people not knowing much bout it. Keeps the wannabes from ruining it.

Stormtrooper was in Waterford back in February. Twas some session. A few heads around into it. Most people when they hear for the first time don't know what to think but after a good few kicks have dropped in and out they get.

Mad had no idea about this !!

If anyone is in Dublin there's these Czech lads called the Springfield crew who do a regular hard techno / hardcore / frenchcore / hard dnb night every month in Murray's on O'Connell street.

Think the next one is tomorrow night:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=127124887319921&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

one word for the genre... ****e

If anyone is in Dublin there's these Czech lads called the Springfield crew who do a regular hard techno / hardcore / frenchcore / hard dnb night every month in Murray's on O'Connell street.

Ive passed this place so many weekends didnt even know this went on every month seriously might try get listen 2morrw if im in town weather me mates will be up for it is another story :p

copeyhagen wrote: »
    Holy **** this music is awe-inspiring

I agree, hardcore is the ****!!!

Can't believe I missed the stormtrooper in waterford!

Drokz - Stiff Groove
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EtPbLo-b6g

I'd like to make it up there some night and give it a listen.

Fully agree - Gabber was ruined when hardstyle came along and the likes of Angerfist went all synthy.

It's called Hardcore and it actually exploded more and more in the early 2000
    s,it was considered dead in the late 90's now there are multiple 30,000 plus raves everywhere in Holland catering for all styles of hardcore,so infact your opinion of it has changed but the scene has thrived thats all.

Ya im into Mainstream,maybe becuase i'm a knacker at heart but if you want to talk about real hardcore and stop mentioning the words hardstyle/techno/gabber then you want to talk about the broad genre of Industrial Hardcore,here are some examples-

All different sounds,some almost breakcore like,ambient,dark,atmospheric,mystical-Industrial Hardcore

• Advertisement

Whatever ya think of Angerfist cant beat a nice brutal tune like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL6Bo6EvaXA&feature=related

Dont go ****in music nazi on me just listen

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

The_ONeill wrote: »
    I agree, hardcore is the ****!!!

lol touché

gavkm27 wrote: »
    It's called Hardcore and it actually exploded more and more in the early 2000
    s,it was considered dead in the late 90's now there are multiple 30,000 plus raves everywhere in Holland catering for all styles of hardcore,so infact your opinion of it has changed but the scene has thrived thats all.

Ya im into Mainstream,maybe becuase i'm a knacker at heart but if you want to talk about real hardcore and stop mentioning the words hardstyle/techno/gabber then you want to talk about the broad genre of Industrial Hardcore,here are some examples-

A gabber is what you are, hardcore is what you listen to.

A gabber is what you are, hardcore is what you listen to.

Sorry man I am not a Gabber,i'm not bald,dont wear a bomber jacket,combats and 90's nike air max.That is associated with the 90's style of hardcore which is now old skool,you can find that in any old skool arena at any Thunderdome or Masters of Hardcore rave,Hardcore has changed alot since then and is more inclusive.

Was at this up in Dublin a few years back, first ever actual hardcore gig I was at. The dj producer, manu le malin and the horrorist, great line up!!!

Highly doubtful another night like this will ever happen in Ireland again:(

This track might not be the fastest but it has to be one of the heaviest tunes I've heard, earthquake bass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The equivalent of people calling Techno "Tekno"

Illiteracy, basically.

you don't half talk some sh**e sometimes man lol, many people call Techno
    Tekno it's nothing to do with "Illiteracy" on the free party scene it was always known as Tekno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I used to listen to some Lenny Dee stuff in the early 1990's but as the years went on it just got stupidly fast and agressive and i cant be dealing with it at all.

Advertisement