Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nurofen plus are literally the only thing that works for hangovers. Aren't they always behind the counter though? You can't just pick them up from a shelf

I've seen a few articles lately about a big rise in people getting addicted to tablets containing codeine. It is an opiate and apparently metabolises into morphine in the body or something which is why it is addictive. Seems silly making it prescription only though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Nurofen plus are literally the only thing that works for hangovers. Aren't they always behind the counter though? You can't just pick them up from a shelf

I've seen a few articles lately about a big rise in people getting addicted to tablets containing codeine. It is an opiate and apparently metabolises into morphine in the body which is why it is addictive. Seems silly making it prescription only though.

Behind the counter but still on display! No more displaying of such products..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

yogy wrote: »

Can anyone at all provide any credible links to the mis information being spouted here?

Nurofen will still be available as normal as IT DOES NOT CONTAIN CODEINE.

It is only Nurofen Plus, Solpadeine, Maxilief, Panadeine, Codinex Linctus that will be affected.

With only 8mg of codeine in these products the codeine does **** all for the headache, just leaves vulnerable susceptible to rebound headaches, addiction, ulceration of stomach etc.

The person in pharmacy said it to me, they must have been mistaken.

I mean Nurofen Plus, the Nurofen that people actually buy.

The codeine must do something or else it wouldn't be in there?

It appears that the qualified pharmacist will decide on a case by case basis if you can have it? I can't see that going down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

All Nurofen or just Nurofen plus?

I have a big tub of Nurofen that I got up North. Great value for money. It is the only thing that works for my headaches. Nurofen + doesn't even work as well. Guess I am compatible (or non?) with just Ibuprofene. Panadene doesn't even work.
    I had better stock up next time if it is just Nurofen they are taking off the shelves. A load of bollocks. Just like when they pulled St Johns Wort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

No not my nurofen plus I like that stuff for headaches and migraines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

WindSock wrote: »
    ...I had better stock up next time if it is just Nurofen they are taking off the shelves. A load of bollocks. Just like when they pulled St Johns Wort.

...Just like the special baby "Gripe water" that used to be available for babies with the croup.
    Good luck trying to get that now south of the border. Still available up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Just like the special baby "Gripe water" that used to be available for babies with the croup.

You can't get gripe water anymore??

alwaysadub wrote: »
    You can't get gripe water anymore??
    Nope, not at all the chemists in my home town.
    They tell me they are not allowed stock it.
    We have 4 kids so you can imagine how many times we have had to go looking for it at times.

A friend brought us a few bottles down from Newry thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

OTC codeine based pain killers are not to become POM, Presrciption Only Medication as far as I know, imo it would be useless to do so. There are other OTC codeine only products available if you know what to ask for and where to go that have a higher potential for abuse. I generally treat about 10 people a year for codeine and other based pain killers, generally middle class though not always and mostly middle aged women.

The thing is at the max of 8 a day I don't really believe their is much potential for addiction in the physical sense. For years, I was not a believer in it as such, but I started to see more and more people present for treatment, I work in the Addiction Services. They can produce a strong psychological addiction and the big broblem is not the codeine but the potential for liver damage or stomach problems for the other active ingredients.

I did actually lose one client due to the significant problems caused to her staomach through exceeding the recommened dose X7 or 8. The person ended up in a coma, lost a significant anount of their colon. They ended up on methadone with us, but by then things had gone too far. I actually remember the last contact she had with us, I had to call an ambulance for her as she could not make it up the stairs to our service.

Lovely woman sad last memory of her being carted out by the crew, she was dead within a fortnight.

However, I still don't think they should be POM, yes some things have a higher potential for addiction, but it is also about what the person invests psychologically into the drug. I got a recent referral form a psych unit for another middle aged woman abusing OTC antihistamines, first time for everything I suppose.

If we started to invest in services to help these people it would be a better option than our usual approach of "Oh look some is using/abusing some chemical, lets ban it or make it harder for them to get". If people need to seek solice in something of a chemical nature to the point it may be damaging the person or causing them problems in their life, making that substance harder to get will not solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just looked that up. All natural ingredients, how could they ban it?

Seriously though, I don't mind giving my money over up North or to criminals who can supply me with what I need/want down here if I have to. The only problem is that it is a little inconvenient. Not as much an inconvenience than booking in to see the doc, waiting then parting with €50-60 in the hope that I get a little codeine. Hell feck it, if I have to go through that much trouble I may as well go all out and try to wangle something harder from them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

laugh wrote: »

The codeine must do something or else it wouldn't be in there?

Technically it's an analgesic but it's more or less a suboptimal dose you are getting.

It's all to do with marketing!

Generic Paracetamol (500mg) 24 pack.......€2.32

Solpadeine Soluble (500mg + Codeine 8mg) 24 pack.....€6.96

Do the math..

Didn't you post something today about people who bring drugs into the country being shot?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah ffs, I need solpadine!

I don't wanna have to go to my GP every time I have cramps or a headache, that'd get expensive.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Didn't you post something today about people who bring drugs into the country being shot? ;)
    I did. Illegal ones that are listed as class "A" or "B" etc...
    Gripe water (liquid) is in a whole different ball game altogether. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Grand. I'll be able to get em on the medical card now.:D

Far as I know, they are not on the list of medicines available for free on the MC ~ We had a MC up to about three years ago and my wife could not get her Solpadeine on the card.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's not banned in Ireland, not in its current guise.

It used to contain alcohol, 5-8% depending on the brand. It was banned and withdrawn from the market and reformulated. It was reintroduced in the UK, but Irish pharmacies didn't for some reason. You can buy it in certain shops though.

It's for helping burping though, not for croup which is a respiratory illness.

TBH I think codiene should be a bit more controlled, there are a lot of people addicted, even some who may not know that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I'm still having difficulty believing this. I can't find any news articles about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Well, you didn't qualify your previous post with that caveat. :P
    Oh, and for everyone who insists on using Human Traffic as their reference to Irish drug laws, we don't have classes, we have schedules.
    Schedule 1 is the section for non-medicinal use "illegal" drugs.
    Schedule 2 are legal but controlled.
    Schedule 3 are legal and slightly less controlled.
    And so forth.

Funnily enough hash and other relatively harmless drugs are schedule 1. Cocaine and heroin on the other hand are all schedule 2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

gbee wrote: »
    Far as I know, they are not on the list of medicines available for free on the MC ~ We had a MC up to about three years ago and my wife could not get her Solpadeine on the card.

It's on the drug payment scheme for sure, but only in certain size packs. Dunno if it's the same with the medical card.

gbee wrote: »

Stronger ones are though and often handed out like smarties, like tylex which cotain 30mg of codeine rather than the 8mg in Solpadeine. My mams GP gives her 180 of them a month, even though she has asked form them to be removed on a few occassions.

• Advertisement

Whilst cleaning my rifle, "I'm watching you":D

Nevore wrote: »
    Well, you didn't qualify your previous post with that caveat. :P

Would da thought da was obvious. :D:p;)
    Odysseus wrote: »
    Whilst cleaning my rifle, "I'm watching you"

Well I have my M40A3 cleaned already! :D

Would da thought da was obvious. :D:p;)
    Yeah, but by your criteria, cocaine and heroin wouldn't incur your wrath. They're not illegal per se. Hash, coca leaf, shrooms, oatmeal tainted with ergot poisoning, sure, all illegal. The others technically aren't. Their possession is controlled. :P

This post has been brought to you by the letter P, the number 3, and the Internet Pedants Association for the Betterment of Mankind.

Anyway, on topic. So codeine isn't going prescription only then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

What do you mean by ' ... listed as class "A" or "B" ... '

Yeah, but by your criteria, cocaine and heroin wouldn't incur your wrath. They're not illegal per se. Hash, coca leaf, shrooms, oatmeal tainted with ergot poisoning, sure, all illegal. The others technically aren't. Their possession is controlled. :P

:pac: Semantics.
    mathepac wrote: »
    What do you mean by ' ... listed as class "A" or "B" ... '
    Was referring to them in their British terminology as the other Irish version might not have been as clear to all. My mistake in doing so.
    I guess I will just have to spell things out a lot more simplistic in baby steps and not just rely on people having enough intelligence to surmise the main point of contention and direction.

:pac: Semantics.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

F*CK YOU NANNY STATE! F*CK YOU!!!!!!!!!

What about my precious Feminax?! I'm not forking out €55 to see the doctor every month.

F*CK YOU NANNY STATE! F*CK YOU!!!!!!!!!

What about my precious Feminax?! I'm not forking out €55 to see the doctor every month.
    Wots Feminax? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

FFS this will effect uniflu as well, it's the only think which gets me through a rotten head cold.

In fairness feminax has so much codeine ect in it it can make you feel loopy.
    http://www.feminax.co.uk/range/feminax-capsules.htm
    You may no longer feel the cramps and pain but you can't ****ing think at all.

• Advertisement

You say that like it's a bad thing. :(:(
    :D

Yes, it gives many an opportunity for others to play wordplay in many a discussion. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement