Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ONLINE TRADING (INCLUDING SPREAD) ACCOUNTS - All Queries Here Please

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 langball_larry

I would advise not going to IIFT - they do not practice what they preach - if you want to do the evening course and not the day course

just read the blog there and you will see that Peter Brown is just like anyone in the herd - he is permanently wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manojkumar

Hi All,

I am not interested in trading, but would like to make a one time investment in BOI shares for a long time like 10 years. So, I do not really need a trading account with annual fees and all the hidden charges.

Also, I do not want to get a paper certificate as they charge about 100 EUR for that.
    Can you guys suggest the best way to invest without the annual fee/100 EUR cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 p72

Is using Computershare for online dealing expensive and difficult, or is it a safe option for small time dealing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

whats the difference between a spreadbetting account and an account with a broker where you buy and sell the spread using leverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

So which are the best online trading websites?

Also, if you have an account on a US website, how do you avoid being taxed by IRS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Appmatters

Hi there,
    Has anyone ever heard of Keith Jones 'The Lazy Day Trader'?
    This works with optionbit and binary options in currency trading/

Has anyone tried it? I would love to get some lowdown on whether to give it a go or not.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meagherphilip

Has anyone had a go of Intrade.com. They are a company that is very offers a predictive market. I like the site, but find that there aren't enough people on it. You can trade shares on who is going to win the US Presidential election. I read about them in Bloomberg Businessweek.

The nice thing about it is that it is an Irish company. They trade in dollars as they're main customer base is in the US, and an account is only €4.99 a month. I have traded on the FTSE and the DJIA closing higher or lower then it's open, and with reasonable success.

I was in contact with the company to ask them about offering more trades such as FOREX or specific stocks, but they said that they don't have the volume outside of the US to justify those trades. I would love to see more people using the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bovriladdict

One difference between spreadbetting and using a stockbroker to trade shares is the tax implication. There are also other fees built into the stockbroking model. Depends on what your interest is really. You could wreck your head about all the options to get into the markets but the main focus should be that you are approaching trading in a professional manner rather than taking a punt which is bound to fail in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Has anybody use IG markets ?

A UK based broker. Shares, FX , options binary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onestep

I would advise not going to IIFT - they do not practice what they preach - if you want to do the evening course and not the day course

just read the blog there and you will see that Peter Brown is just like anyone in the herd - he is permanently wrong

I feel compelled to reply to the above post, I completed the advanced trading course in sept 11{more about this in a later post}and was sitting near to Peter when the ECB announced the 1st LTRO ,almost immediately the euro started to rise against the dollar and naturally myself and my fellow novice traders tried to jump on the move but were told to desist by Peter, he said that the LTRO was bearish for the euro and the initial spike up in the currency was a false move to catch out the amateurs and take out stops. And right enough within 30 seconds the move reversed and the currency fell violently.He then advised us all to sell, which we duly did and made a nice profit.
    The reason i tell this story is to show that Peter is not a herd follower. he is not permanently wrong but neither is he permanently right but when he is wrong he admits it and get,s the hell out of there.
    I doubt the above poster has done the course because if he/she did they wouldn,t post comments like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Bligh

hi

i have a question that has been buging me with about 2 years!

im interested in on line tradign with about 10 years on and off. havent done any yet, still reading technical analysis books etc on and off.

my question which is only very basic to those that are in the know

if your chart is set to 15 min say on candle stick vol. that candle shows the high low open close. but say you switch to the 3 minute chart you see the same. now swithc to 1 min the same.

how is the one min open closed high low arrived at. is the 15 minute candle connected to the 1 minute connected to the 3 min. simply put how is there an open etc at 1 3 5min 1 day etc etc

if trading on the 15 min chart is the one, three, five emptying your account unknow to you.

finally for any candle stick what is the high low open close reffering to. how did it happen (i know what high low open close means!) what humans made it happen.

as you can see this is why it would be very dangerous for me to trade on line!!! books can only answer so much and as they are written by someone in the know(supposed to be) they often skip the really really simple stuff.

Also im looking for a mentor/group in the south. im on my own at the minute and its like doing your college exam study on your own. get bogged down in stupid stuff and important stuff is ignored

thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hey guys, i'm going to have €2000 at the end of the summer, i can afford to lose it. I was looking to try my chances in the penny stocks.

Assuming i go ahead with penny stocks, what are good trading platforms to use from ireland? Currently i have 2 bank accounts in ireland, one with AIB and one wih Permanent TSB (could be relevant).

Is there a list of the platforms i can use from this country?
    http://www.globalreachmarkets.ie/ This is the first one i found, what are the important details i'll be looking for in a trading platform, such as fees or reliability. I would however like a platform that offers virtual money, so i can become familiar with it over the summer before putting in real cash.

I will be studying the subject over the summer and testing out a bunch of standard techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Nevermind, did a search on the forum.

Here is a thread if anyone is asking the same question. link

I would suggest avoiding the low post accounts, they look sketchy. FXCM seems legit to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 TaxPro

There's a potential upcoming rights issue for a plc which I own shares in through DeGiro. If the rights issue is approved by shareholders, does anyone know how to exercise your rights as a shareholder? Do I receive communication of my options from DeGiro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hope this is the right thread. I have a US Computershare account and I am just updating my banking details. When I select Ireland it automatically selects Euros as the currency. Should I leave it in Dollars and take my banks Exchange rate (Ulster bank) or let Computershare use their exchange rate? Just looking for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Which is the best current broker around for options trading? IB?

Advertisement