Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ONLINE TRADING (INCLUDING SPREAD) ACCOUNTS - All Queries Here Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

TD Waterhouse - no complaints at all. Cheap, easy and efficient!

€20 per trade, and no service charge if your balance is above €5k (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

forex2806 wrote: »
    I have traded for over 4 years and have traded everything at one stage or another. I have tested many strategies and and tried most trading platforms.
    More importantly I have failed more than most!!

I now only trade forex and am very successful. my style is technical and am a short term trader. From 1 hour to 12 hours usually.

A Strong opinion I have is if you are serious open a proper account and not a "betting" account.

On another note I trade from home. I am looking for people who are interested in trading from an office with me. I am looking for serious experience traders who trade there own account and have their own tools. We share the office costs and bounce trading ideas to gain an advantage on the market.

Anyone interested?

Can i ask how long you've been doing this full time?

I've only recently started in fx, doing well out of the EUR/GBP movements, but i think what your proposing is a great idea, pity i don't have more experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Guys,
    any ideas on whether you need to be bonded (or whats required) if you were to operate a Managed Account on behalf of clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

I have about €1500-2000 to invest, probably in Irish/UK/US stocks, though I would consider Forex and Asian Markets also.

Im looking for one with the lowest possible charges and a relatively basic buy/sell service. (Although a reliable one)

AIB wont let me get an online trading account as I have a student account (I am over 18, however.)

Whats my best option?

EDIT: Anyone have an account with TD Waterhouse? I understand the US ones are cheap but it seems like hassle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

DC09 wrote: »
    EDIT: Anyone have an account with TD Waterhouse? I understand the US ones are cheap but it seems like hassle..

I made a US trading account recently Zecco I was originally put off by making the account as I went through a bit of hassle getting my Internaxx account up ( had to get gardai signature and stamp )
    Surprised how much easier zecco was able to set up. Everything can be done online no need to post anything. You can take a digital photo or scan of your documents and attach them online. And no need for gardai stamp.
    Now all I need to do is find some money to put in it :rolleyes:
    €5 for international wire transfers with BOI. btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I've just ordered the Metastock v.11 upgrade from Paritech in the UK.

Looking forward to getting back into this.

I intend to start with some simulated trading - I won't open an account at first, so I'll have no choice but to! smile.gif

My intention is EOD trading in extremely liquid assets - no more penny shares for me! If I can beat deposit interest, that would be an achievement.

I'm also looking forward to reacquainting myself with Elder's book.

Will be back to you lot about the best EOD data updates.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

I have traded for over 4 years and have traded everything at one stage or another. I have tested many strategies and and tried most trading platforms.

I now only trade forex and am very successful. my style is technical and am a short term trader. From 1 hour to 12 hours usually.

A Strong opinion I have is if you are serious open a proper account and not a "betting" account.

On another note I trade from home. I am looking for people who are interested in trading from an office with me. I am looking for serious experience traders who trade there own account and have their own tools. We share the office costs and bounce trading ideas to gain an advantage on the market.

Anyone interested?

can you give a few examples of a serious account and what do you use?

Has anyone heard of these guys tradersnow.com based indublin. They done a few webinars. They look ok but id like to get an idependant recommendation.
    €500 ish for membership and this currency compass software.

Whats the best way to learn..tuition, books, dive in etc.

I've dabbled with a spreadbetting account and did ok... but pure luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Noel 006

Anyone interested?

Where are you based and where are you looking to take office space? I trade Futures at the moment, looking to get into options next year but need to do more work on it!

In response to the OP, I took a course in the UK and I couldn't recommend it highly enough, it also involves online classes 3/4 days per week and live trading classes too. The way I see it is you are going to get an education either way, I would prefer to pay somebody to teach me than be educated by another trader taking my money! Reading books is fine but they can't talk back if you don't understand something. In response to the post about why they teach if they are that good at trading? All I can say is I trade from home and by the end of the day I'm talking to the walls for want of some company, trading can be very isolating, the instructors I have had have all said that it's the social aspect more than anything that get's them teaching. That and the fact it keeps them on their toe's, definitely not the money! You wouldn't enter into any other form of job without training or education so why do it with trading where you stand to loose a lot! If it's proper education it will pay for itself in very little time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Noel 006 wrote: »
    In response to the OP, I took a course in the UK and I couldn't recommend it highly enough, it also involves online classes 3/4 days per week and live trading classes too.

Can i ask which course you took?

Pity you haven't been registered here longer, the boards.ie cynic in me will think your selling these courses and hunting for customers! :D

• Advertisement

Can i ask which course you took?

Pity you haven't been registered here longer, the boards.ie cynic in me will think your selling these courses and hunting for customers! :D

I can PM you the crowd I took it with if I can figure out how to do it!!

I understand the cynicism and that's why I didn't name the company, I'd be the very same but I'm not trying to sell anything, I don't stand to gain anything! I'm hoping karma will sort that one out for me if this helps any budding traders!

Going to try and pm you now, if you don't get it you might let me know how to do it properly!

I can PM you the crowd I took it with if I can figure out how to do it!!

I understand the cynicism and that's why I didn't name the company, I'd be the very same but I'm not trying to sell anything, I don't stand to gain anything! I'm hoping karma will sort that one out for me if this helps any budding traders!

Going to try and pm you now, if you don't get it you might let me know how to do it properly!

Hi Noel,
    What trading platform do you use. Can you tell me are all forex trading co.s online spreadbetting co.s?

Hello Betonit,

I use Tradestation, it's a bit saucy but it's a cost of business. If you are not day trading then I would probably look elsewhere as you can use delayed data feeds that you can get for free online. You can get brokers that just charge fees & comissions without charging for the platform use, TransAct futures are one but as far as I know your orders reside on your PC and not on their server which isn't good! I don't really understand your second question, can you rephrase please! I also don't trade Spot Forex, I only trade currency futures. I saw your earlier post about traders now, I think he is doing a free online course soon which can't be bad, but I don't like automated software that tells you when to buy and sell which I think they sell. If this stuff really works they could name their price! It may work for a while or it may not, the problem as far as I can see it regardless of whether it works or not you still don't understand why you had a winning or loosing trade! You need to understand price action in order to trade successfully, none of this green light red light rubbish!

Hello Betonit,

I use Tradestation, it's a bit saucy but it's a cost of business. If you are not day trading then I would probably look elsewhere as you can use delayed data feeds that you can get for free online. You can get brokers that just charge fees & comissions without charging for the platform use, TransAct futures are one but as far as I know your orders reside on your PC and not on their server which isn't good! I don't really understand your second question, can you rephrase please! I also don't trade Spot Forex, I only trade currency futures. I saw your earlier post about traders now, I think he is doing a free online course soon which can't be bad, but I don't like automated software that tells you when to buy and sell which I think they sell. If this stuff really works they could name their price! It may work for a while or it may not, the problem as far as I can see it regardless of whether it works or not you still don't understand why you had a winning or loosing trade! You need to understand price action in order to trade successfully, none of this green light red light rubbish!

Noel
    Sorry for the late response to your reply.
    My 2nd question is about how sites earn from trades. I think in the
    spread sites the site is exposed and may not want you winning.
    Would rather commsiosn where it doesnt matter to the site whether you win or loose.

I like some are dubious about courses and automated sw.
    Do you give 1:1 tutition :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

betonit wrote: »

Would rather commsiosn where it doesnt matter to the site whether you win or loose.

I opened a spreadbetting "demo" account with Capital Spreads a few months back all in all i have done quiet well on it profit wise. Very well actually, about 50% was Dump luck then abit of time spent imersed in all the info.

I too am dubious about How much money the likes of these spreadbetting companies want you to make. If your goal is to do some short term trading and make some returns, Where is the money in it for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone know what happened to rfm.ie? Are they still on the go as I haven't been able to access their website for some weeks now

• Advertisement

I have Vodafone (previously Telecom Eireann) shares, and I can access my account on computershare but how do I do anything with them. They were bought for me the time Telecom Eireann went public. I would like to sell them and invest in something else.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

could some one help me...

I want to buy (RRL.L) Range Resources Ltd stock, when I typed in the ticker RRL.L in my on line trading screen (AIB-Goodbody) it is coming up as
    RANGE RES. ORD NPV (DI), is these both are same? little bit confused. I never brought UK stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sparkus

Hey, new on boards and to the stock market.
    I have no experience in buying or selling shares at all but I'd like to start.
    Where can I buy online??
    I'm not interested in short term or spread betting.
    I want to buy shares in say Apple or Facebook how do I go about it?
    What return should I expect on 10K say over 1 year??
    Do I let someone else do it all for me? I'd still like to know what the process is either way.
    Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Regards,

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

AP_MAN wrote: »
    could some one help me...

I want to buy (RRL.L) Range Resources Ltd stock, when I typed in the ticker RRL.L in my on line trading screen (AIB-Goodbody) it is coming up as
    RANGE RES. ORD NPV (DI), is these both are same? little bit confused. I never brought UK stock.

Yes they're exactly the same stock AP

Sparkus wrote: »
    Hey, new on boards and to the stock market.
    I have no experience in buying or selling shares at all but I'd like to start.
    Where can I buy online??
    I'm not interested in short term or spread betting.
    I want to buy shares in say Apple or Facebook how do I go about it?
    What return should I expect on 10K say over 1 year??
    Do I let someone else do it all for me? I'd still like to know what the process is either way.
    Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Regards,

S.

Hi Sparkus, the best way to introduce yourself to stocks is practice. Now if you wish to do this with your own money then its risky, but you can follow shares as if you bought them, wait for a few month and then see how they perform. Did you make money? Did you loose money? Test yourself. Research, Research and research the entire company as if you were running it if you believe that its an honest company that are going to give good shareholder returns then take the plunge.

I recommend TD Waterhouse for online trading, you might not appreciate it starting out but their trading platform is good.

BTW Facebook is not available to buy on the market yet, although it is rumored to IPO very shortly. (IPO = Initial public offering - this is when a stock first floats onto the market, and you and i can buy shares)

Goodluck and dont be afraid to ask questions.

~S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sparkus

Smcgie wrote: »
    Hi Sparkus, the best way to introduce yourself to stocks is practice. Now if you wish to do this with your own money then its risky, but you can follow shares as if you bought them, wait for a few month and then see how they perform. Did you make money? Did you loose money? Test yourself. Research, Research and research the entire company as if you were running it if you believe that its an honest company that are going to give good shareholder returns then take the plunge.

I recommend TD Waterhouse for online trading, you might not appreciate it starting out but their trading platform is good.

BTW Facebook is not available to buy on the market yet, although it is rumored to IPO very shortly. (IPO = Initial public offering - this is when a stock first floats onto the market, and you and i can buy shares)

Goodluck and dont be afraid to ask questions.

~S

Hey, thanks for the good advice. Where is the best place to check stock prices day to day online? Any good apps for iPhone?
    I'd say Facebook shares will be sky high from the get go

Sparkus wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the good advice. Where is the best place to check stock prices day to day online? Any good apps for iPhone?
    I'd say Facebook shares will be sky high from the get go

I use the bloomberg free app for the iphone ipad. Its very handy. I agree Facebook will sturrup a lot of attention when it eventually IPO's.

betonit wrote: »
    Noel
    Sorry for the late response to your reply.
    My 2nd question is about how sites earn from trades. I think in the

Hi betonit, very sorry, haven't been here for a long time! I understand your question now but I'm not sure I have all the correct info to aswer it fully. Spread Trading companies make their money off the spread, ie. the difference between what they buy and sell it at. Usually only a few cent but on high volume trading it adds up. Here is the confusion for me, I don't know if they offset their clients position with a position themselves in the Futures market with a lower price ( in the case of a long ) than they are selling to you, and when you exit the trade they automatically exit their position too. That way it is beneficial to them if you have more winning trades as you will trade more and they make more spreads. If they don't do that then they will probably be hunting your stops which means you're going to have a rough time of it, although if they piss off every trader in such a small market as Ireland they aren't going to have too many clients. Really I don't know the answer. I'd just trade Futures, it's the most transparent type of trading there is as far as I can see! I don't give 1 to 1 tuition, not nearly qualified enough to do that, but if you want to chat I'll tell you what I can, pm me your e-mail if you like!
    Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 25 luckystrike23

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Hi All,
    Just would like to see what spread trade platforms people use. Im looking for one that will let me do long trades on oil but not cost me an arm and a leg.
    Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lackatalent

Hi

I am looking to trade OTC stocks online and was wondering if people here could advise who the best online brokers are in terms of price and service.

Thanks

Lacka Talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shinokamparos

Hi,

I have capital of €1900 invested in my Spread Trading acc. I would like some advice on how to manage risk. I know the rule of thumb is to risk 2% or 3% per trade. That would enable me to risk say €38 per trade which clearly is not enough as I don't do short term trades and a 38 point swing doesn't give me enough of a cushion, even if I was to increase that to say 5%. My account is worth around €5000 and I have been trading since last April.

I have 7 bets on at €1 or €2 per point, and I put a stop loss of 10% loss on each bet. My total risk is around €3500.

My main concern is that I have too much risked, given the norm of risking only 2% of capital. I would be interested in any advice anyone might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Have recently started spread trading and a few small lessons in what not do I got on a bet and made a good return on it going up. I got out and knew it was going down so shorted it but I kept getting very nervy when there was any sign of it rebounding and would bale out only for it to go down again. Just wondering how people manage a turn around in teh market. Do you go with the movement and stay in? Get out altogether? Or ado anything else?

@neris - It's hard to advise you without knowing what type of trading you are doing, ie technical, fundamental, news feeds etc. First mistake was saying you 'knew' the market was going down, nobody ever knows!! As regards staying in a trade or taking profits should depend on large time frame trends. If you are long in the market and the monthly, weekly, daily trend is up then stay in using pivot points to trail your position. If you are counter trend trading then you have to be more aggressive in taking profits. The trick is to know what the trend is in what time frame you are trading, this will give you both entry and exit targets. You should never be 'nervy' when you are in a trade, you have entries, targets and stops, it will either work out or it won't! If you are not sure, as in your last trade, why not try this, when you are in the trade and you are in decent profit, take off half the position and put a stop at your entry price or just inside it to cover commissions, that way you lock in profit and you are still in the trade for free! Continue to trail it with the stop until you are taken out, if it keeps going in your direction then you can start making decent money!! As regards trading both ways, that isn't easy, remember, just because you would not buy a market does not necessarily mean you should short it and vice versa! I would wish you luck but that doesn't come into it either!!! Green Trades!

Hi,

I have capital of €1900 invested in my Spread Trading acc. I would like some advice on how to manage risk. I know the rule of thumb is to risk 2% or 3% per trade. That would enable me to risk say €38 per trade which clearly is not enough as I don't do short term trades and a 38 point swing doesn't give me enough of a cushion, even if I was to increase that to say 5%. My account is worth around €5000 and I have been trading since last April.

I have 7 bets on at €1 or €2 per point, and I put a stop loss of 10% loss on each bet. My total risk is around €3500.

My main concern is that I have too much risked, given the norm of risking only 2% of capital. I would be interested in any advice anyone might have.

You have too many trades on at the same time, remember if you are long the Dow, Nas, S&P, Fesx, Ftse or any of their components at the same time you pretty much have the same trade on in two different places! Your stop loss should not be an arbitrary 10% figure, why not 8 or 12? On a small account it can be necessary to have a larger percentage risk than say 2%, it sounds a bit of a contradiction given that you need to be more carefull than somebody with a larger account, however if you are too tight with stops you will find youself getting stopped out a lot! In saying that, don't go bananas and risk 50% on a trade, I'm talking maybe 5%, thats 20 loosing trades in a row before you are wiped, if you do 20 loosers in a row then you have it mastered, just flip everything you do and your in business! Try one trade at a time for now, you know about Rome being built and all that!!

P.S. I just re-read your post and saw your comment about not trading short term, the 5% I was talking about was based on day trading so you could increase that further for swing trading. I hope you are using time & price charts for entry, this will allow you to set your stops at proper levels, you can then set your entry according to where you put your stop that falls within your risk parameters! It might mean you will miss some entries but the ones you catch should work out well! I hope that makes sense to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Would anyone know of a spread betting account with a demo facility which will let me trade aim shares...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nosferatu121

I'm looking for guidance regarding which online trading firm would suit the following criteria.

1. Allow extended hours trading in uk and US markets.

2. Allow the setting up of conditional trades. E.g. Buy at 20.00 order which activates a sell order at 19.00 to minimise the downside if the stock falls.

Online trading during extended hours is the only absolute necessity though - as well as, obviously, being available to Irish nationals. We can work around conditional trades not being available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ronaldo*

I'm looking for guidance regarding which online trading firm would suit the following criteria.

1. Allow extended hours trading in uk and US markets.

2. Allow the setting up of conditional trades. E.g. Buy at 20.00 order which activates a sell order at 19.00 to minimise the downside if the stock falls.

Online trading during extended hours is the only absolute necessity though - as well as, obviously, being available to Irish nationals. We can work around conditional trades not being available.

CMC offers some conditional orders, trailing stops and a full demo account free. Good charting and a good variety of instruments. You may be interested in exploring an investment club. Investment Club webinars and other investment information is available from
    http://www.fxdynamite.com/unisec1106
    I have been a member for some time and can recommend this as a great place to look at. This is to diversify a bit from your own spread betting into an environment where forex is traded by professionals on your behalf.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Guys, could anyone recommend a good spead betting trainer site?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

i had been interested in trading for a long time so last year i did a course with traders university seker trading headed up by greg seker, an apparent trading wizard. the course cost me quite a few quid but i was under the assumption that i needed to pay this kind of money and put in some effort to make some money back. almost twelve months in and i have not made a penny. i have made mistakes alnong the way and i am learning from them but the market has been pretty much all over the place this year. i am trading stocks but i think the proper money is in forex however the nice people at the traders university want to charge me another few grand to find out how to trade forex.
    in short does anyone know how i would be able to find out how to trade forex for myself?
    i think with some dicipline and perserverence and a decent market direction i can make something from this, maybe i havent been doing things in the right manner. I would advise anyone thinking of getting into trading not to take one of these expensive courses, instead attend one of their free seminars to get yourself in the spirit of trading and walk out the door when they look for money there and then! and try and learn it for yourself.

many thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Francis Galvin

2 sites i recommend for self education

for beginners:
    http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/39634-pure-price-action-dummies.html

for more advanced stuff:
    http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=86429

these are links to threads within these sites, i'm not linking these threads for any particular reason other than i've been browsing these threads myself lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 waken

If you are contemplating Forex trading there is a good supply of free info on the web that will not cost you a cent, Baby pips has a free well structured learning facility, James16 is another site which has a free area as well as a paid section that is well wort a visit, Forex street have a large archive of videos on the subject and there are many more.
    If you are serious about trading Forex the first thing you should do before you risk any money is to open a demo account and trade with virtual cash for at least a few months until you understand the risks. Alpari UK offers this facility as do a number of other brokers, Oanda is another, I am only recommending these because they allow you to trade with very small amounts which is very very important until you know what you are doing.

Are there any other Forex traders out there who might like to get together on this board ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knockostia

In relation to spread betting.

If opening a short position on brent crude to fall this morning-afternoon.

Who in their right mind would be acting as counterparty?????????

Is oil a good commodity to spread bet on?

Its quite volatile

but if one maintains a postion on what one expects to happen on opening--based on macroeconomic/industry specific factors then one should be able to exit on upswing and sit tight on down swings

I don't think it will be long before its under $100 a barrel

its been plummeting todAy

@knockostia - The question is who in their right mind would be shorting after such a drop in price? So to answer your question it will be pro traders taking the other side of your trade!! You should reverse the way you are thinking!! Also if you are Spread Trading based on macro economics I think you'll get roasted!!

@overthenest - If you understand how to trade Stocks properly then you'll have no problem trading Forex, futures or any other markets. It's only the parameters and platforms that are different. I agree there are a lot of bull**** courses out there but self teaching can be expensive too, in a false economy sense! Most people study or train for years for their career but seem to think they can teach themselves to trade by reading a few books. My advice for what it's worth, shop around, ask for past students contacts, research courses thouroughly, but get a proper education, yes some are expensive but if they teach you to trade properly it will be the best money you ever spend!

• Advertisement

If you looked at macroeconomic factors such as the IMF's gloomy report at two pm yesterday and the fed's disclosure of significant risk yesterday
    and decided that oil was going to drop then you would have done quite well.

It having dropped 5 dollars and all

At the moment oil is responding to macro factors.

oil dropped significantly when the american market opened @ 2p.m gmt.

it shot down for 40 minutes.

if you keep a constant eye on your bets you won't get roasted.

1000 euro two euro spreads,

made 200 today only entering market @ 11

well after main business was done

knockostia - I understand where you are coming from and well done on making money today. Of course macro economic factors push markets around, however I'm talking about entries, exits and stop losses. If you are basing your trades purely on macro/fundamentals then where do you place these. I too am short oil (cl not brent) on the futures, however I wouldn't even think of entering short at these levels. It's like selling your house today, could it/will it go lower? probably yes, but why wait for such a big drop before you sell? Your profit potential is diminishing and your risk is way up!

knocokstasia
    I agree with Noel, spreadbetting on fundamentals only may not be a great strategy for the long term. Have you tried looking at the technicals ie recent support and resistance levels, trend lines, open and close levels etc. also if you are spreadbetting you need to have a good money management system in place for risk/reward ratios.
    Its always great to have a big win but losses are inevitable at some time and you want to make sure they dont wipe out your account

Waken

I take a daily approach. Looking at what I expect oil to do each day then trading around it. Maybe just opening positions for 10, 20 or 2 minutes.

I started with 1,000 now have 1,306 after one day.

If i see myself losing 200, without any significant upswing i would close my position.

I don't see how my account can get cleaned if I am constanly monitoring it.

Oil tends to go up and down a lot,and is a little predictable with peaks and troughs.

How can my account be cleaned out?

Without knowing all the details I am going to make some assumptions so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 30% return on your account in one day is excellent, however, in a previous post you said you made €200 on one trade. Your last post you said if you see yourself loosing €200 you will get out. To me that is a 1:1 risk to reward ratio. If you are risking €200 on a trade you should be looking for at least €600 reward. A proper r/r ratio is a basic rule in trading! Also you risked €200 on a €1000 account. That's 20% on one trade, five in a row ( which can easily happen even to good traders ) and your gone! Anyway, best of luck with it!

Came across this site today called "myfxbook". Its a site that allows you to compare your forex strategy results with others. Has anyone used this site, I was wondering if it's kosher or dodgy.

Waken

• Advertisement

knockostia wrote: »
    In relation to spread betting.

If opening a short position on brent crude to fall this morning-afternoon.

Who in their right mind would be acting as counterparty?????????

Is oil a good commodity to spread bet on?

Its quite volatile

but if one maintains a postion on what one expects to happen on opening--based on macroeconomic/industry specific factors then one should be able to exit on upswing and sit tight on down swings

I don't think it will be long before its under $100 a barrel

its been plummeting todAy

oil is now trading @ 99.62

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 m7 golf

Hello All,

I can see from the threads here that most of you are very experienced traders. I'd appreciate if some of you would take the time to give me some advise.

I am considering getting started in trading (zero knowledge) and I'm investigating as to whether to do a course or not with the IIFT (http://www.iift.ie/) formerly known as Wolfgang.
    The Course is 'Diploma in financial trading'

Here's where I'm at:

- Is it possible to make a living out of financial trading i.e make 3k to 5k per mth?
    - If so, How much capital do I need to have such an income?
    - How many mths/yrs of experience would it take to get to this level?
    - How much time per day would be required - and what are the key times during the day that I would need to be trading?
    - Has anyone done this course or one similar and if so how are you getting on since i.e making money/broke?

As you can see I really am starting from 'zero' in terms of knowledge. I would be interested in learning how to trade and doing it full time if I can make a living from it, but I'm not interested in spending a few thousand to learn about something that ends up being a 'little/no earner'.

I have a young family and will be made redundant from my current job in 1 to 1.5 yrs and want to start planning for the future. If I could make a living trading from home it would be great as I would also be able to spend more time with my family but my key concern is that this trading will be a waste of money and time rather than a way of living and that I might be better of focusing on something else!!

I'd really appreciate any advise !! Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Maps2011

Hi guys,

Straight to point: How to minimise TD Waterhouse share trading charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

m7 golf wrote: »
    Hello All,

I can see from the threads here that most of you are very experienced traders. I'd appreciate if

some of you would take the time to give me some advise.

I am considering getting started in trading (zero knowledge) and I'm investigating as to whether

to do a course or not with the IIFT (http://www.iift.ie/) formerly known as Wolfgang.
    The Course is 'Diploma in financial trading'

Here's where I'm at:

- Is it possible to make a living out of financial trading i.e make 3k to 5k per mth?
    - How much time per day would be required - and what are the key times during the day that I would need to be trading?
    - Has anyone done this course or one similar and if so how are you getting on since i.e making

money/broke?

As you can see I really am starting from 'zero' in terms of knowledge. I would be interested in

learning how to trade and doing it full time if I can make a living from it, but I'm not interested in spending a few thousand to learn about something that ends up being a 'little/no earner'.

I have a young family and will be made redundant from my current job in 1 to 1.5 yrs and want to start planning for the future. If I could make a living trading from home it would be great as I would also be able to spend more time with my family but my key concern is that this trading will be a waste of money and time rather than a way of living and that I might be better of focusing on something else!!

I'd really appreciate any advise !! Thanks!!!

I'm like yourself I'm only starting as well but I'm a little bit further on then yourself.

I opened a live a/c a month ago my initial stake was small so I started off with spreadtrading.Open a live a/c asap with money you don't mind losing you learn an awful lot more from a live a/c than a demo one.I did a good bit of reading before I started, learn about stop losses,risk reward ratios etc. (money management is key)
    Of course it's possible but then again everything is :)
    It depends what sort of lifestyle you want a conservative estimate would be 5k a month.

Thats a hard question to answer for myself I pick up things quickly and I'm a very ambitous person,my expectations might be different to yours.I can't answer it for you it depends on your own personality and drive another key area is psychology(how you deal with losing runs etc) one key thing is when a trade goes against you it's your fault and nobody else's.

Depends on what your trading and what suits your lifestyle.Forex fits in great with me as london is the main market and their time is the same as ours,but that suits me it mightn't suit yourself ,trading is such a huge area no matter how smart you think you are the market is always one step ahead, it's very important to have an edge(like a casino).I don't think scalping(form of day trading) is for you,I don't think you want to be glued to a screen all day especially with a young family.

- Has anyone done this course or one similar and if so how are you getting on since i.e making money/broke?

not one for course's theres allot of sharks out there that will only be too happy to take your money. I did one course but it specialised in forex so drop me a pm and I'll send you the address(don't want to be banned for advertising :)
    I'll send you a link to some of the books I read,forums I frequent as well if you want them.
    There forex biased but the principles can be applied across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Aran Galactico

Looking to purchase a number of shares and have my eye on a couple of companies on the NYSE and the FTSE. My question is, is it possible to set up an online account that I can buy shares on both these platforms? From what I can see, Scottrade/eTrade etc are focused on US stocks whereby Sharewatch and a few others look at UK/Ireland? Would I need to set up two accounts to buy Kerry Group and 3M stock for instance?

As a side, can someone tell me the main dfference to buying the same shares on the FTSE and the ISE, i.e Kenmare Resources are at two different prices on each exchange? Is their an advantage/disadvantage to buying on one over another?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement