Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland has one of the highest cocaine death rates

Options
  • 13-07-2010 1:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Depressing news but something of not much of a shock to be honest.
    Ireland has one of the highest cocaine death rates in Europe according to a newly released United Nations drug use report.

“The 2010 World Drugs Report” stated that the use of cocaine in Ireland has reached epidemic levels in the last decade. The figures show that Ireland’s cocaine deaths per 100,000 population was at 0.77. This record is only beaten by Portugal.
    Source: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-cocaine-death-rate-tops-UN-report-98231824.html

I honestly fear for my 4 young kids in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

*Insert Katy French injustice story*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So that's about 8 deaths as a result of cocaine abuse for every million ?

...not that many really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

So of the ~4million people in Ireland, ~30 die per year of Cocaine? That's not bad going at all!

Why would you fear for your kids dying due to Cocaine, when firstly the odds of them being one of those 30 people are lotto-esque vast, especially when you factor in any education or guidance you might give them?

If you're scared of those odds, you must literally not sleep at night thinking about the odds of them dying crossing the road or being in a car crash!

Just a bit of perspective to put you at ease ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If you're scared of those odds, you must literally not sleep at night thinking about the odds of them dying crossing the road or being in a car crash!

Just a bit of perspective to put you at ease ;)
    True but next door is a suspected drug pusher who deals openly nearby according to reports.
    That can add to ones fear. :(

I thought Portugal was supposed to have lower levels of drug use since decriminalisation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Biggins wrote: »

Why are you raising them to do Cocaine in the future or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

7.7 per 100,000 so about 30 people a year.

If that's a fear for you then you must be weighed down with worry!
    Road traffic accidents and suicide cause far, far more death for young people.

Sorry, not trying to be callous but they are the stats and if these two don't affect your children (please God it never will ) it'll happen to someone they know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

True but next door is a suspected drug pusher who deals openly nearby according to reports.
    So what?

Well guided kids with caring parents don't do drugs. Just because you're living next to a dealer doesn't mean that they're going to turn in to junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thirty deaths 100% directly attributed to Cocaine? Or is it like that girl in England whose death was blamed on the legal high and not on the truckload of booze, heroin, coke and various other drugs that she also consumed.

How many of these deaths could be solved through the regulation and sale of cocaine stopping purity issues and limiting the supply to individuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

If people want to take drugs let them. We should be selling heroin in McDonalds to junkies. The Strong(ie non drug users) will survive and the weak will perish. They way it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Crimecall. Could be anyone in the vicinity to report it, or any buyer (usual suspect).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tell him you have purity supply concerns for the neighborhood so you will need a regular sample of his gear.

Pff, if anything that only mitigates the risk even further! If you've already identified the (possibly only) channel in your kids paths by which they could go down that route, that is WAY easier to prevent than not knowing where they might come into contact with these fellas.

Anyway, cocaine's already been relegated to the solitary use by the posers of Ireland. It's the losers drug - just keep your kids away from the the likes of Krystal in town (dublin!) and they'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Most of the figures on that report seem to be from pre recession years.

Cocaine is a more-money-than-sense kinda drug. It comes and goes with prosperity. I'd say consumption has fallen massively in the last two years now that people can't top up their mortgages to buy an eight ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

True but next door is a suspected drug pusher

???
    I think you mean dealer. Or seller. Either way, there's nobody going round 'pushing' drugs on people. They supply in a market very much characterised by and over abundance of demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I thought Portugal was supposed to have lower levels of drug use since decriminalisation.

Indeed, get the OP back who started that thread last week on legalizing drugs.
    They were praising the policy in Portugal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

If you stick that sh*te up your nose you deserve to die, any that has died from it are doing society a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Depressing news but something of not much of a shock to be honest.

Source: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-cocaine-death-rate-tops-UN-report-98231824.html

If you fear for them then I suggest you educate them as best as you can about drugs. Tell them about it, don't give them the horror stories but the truth about drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Really? Is cocaine even that big in Ireland? I've been offered to buy it once in my whole life in Ireland, while since moving to London, it's rare a weekend goes by when someone doesn't try to sell me it. I wouldn't have thought use was that high, through personal experience that is.
    Also, that's a real low figure, not something that worries me at all. The only people who die from cocaine use are morons who don't know when enough is enough and OD.

So what?

Well guided kids with caring parents don't do drugs.
    Just because you're living next to a dealer doesn't mean that they're going to turn in to junkies.

Now that's funny...

• Advertisement

bluto63 wrote: »
    Really? Is cocaine even that big in Ireland? I've been offered to buy it once in my whole life in Ireland, while since moving to London, it's rare a weekend goes by when someone doesn't try to sell me it. I wouldn't have thought use was that high, through personal experience that is.
    Also, that's a real low figure, not something that worries me at all. The only people who die from cocaine use are morons who don't know when enough is enough and OD.

Cant walk out my door without seeing someone coked up, I seriously hope the next batch brought in is cut with rat poison and kills all the leeches that take it

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Can you post the sources for the reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

If you stick that sh*te up your nose you deserve to die, any that has died from it are doing society a favour.

Stick with the pipe, it's great crack!

Lemsiper wrote: »

Maybe he doesnt want to identify himself, as everyone will know where he lives if its alleged he lives beside an alleged drug dealer

bluto63 wrote: »

Or unless you are buying from the likes of Gerry Asstrix.

Cant walk out my door without seeing someone coked up, I seriously hope the next batch brought in is cut with rat poison and kills all the leeches that take it

Why do you want them to die exactly?

You want users of a drug to die? Childish to say the least.

Stick with the pipe, it's great crack!

Whatever they use, a hard death to all them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No - due to confidentiality restrictions. You want the names and addresses of those involved in submitting reports to the Gardi?

Or unless you are buying from the likes of Gerry Asstrix.

Why do you want them to die exactly?

You want users of a drug to die? Childish to say the least.

Yes I want all drug dealers and users to die, they are a plague on society and only offer burdon and misery, and as usual its the working class comunities that suffer the most from this problem.

I know in mid-90s drug dealing was decreased dramatically, mainly down to dealers being brought out to mountains to be tortured and executed, I pray for these days again.

Yes I want all drug dealers and users to die, they are a plague on society and only offer burdon and misery, and as usual its the working class comunities that suffer the most from this problem.

I know in mid-90s drug dealing was decreased dramatically, mainly down to dealers being brought out to mountains to be tortured and executed, I pray for these days again.

You sound like a model citizen yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Bullsh1t.:rolleyes:

Advertisement