Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema ennis road

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Is it just me or have showtime raised their prices, the first time I was there it cost me €17 something for my ticket, large popcorn and drink and a little tub of Ben and Jerry's, went tonight it it was €17.90 for ticket and large popcorn and drink. Also we were in cinema 2 which is very annoying because the toilets are directly underneath it and you can hear and feel the hand dryers when people use them. I really liked showtime at the start but I think I will switch back to the omniplex, it's not worth my while to go across the river when the prices have been hiked up to match the other cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Is it just me or have showtime raised their prices, the first time I was there it cost me €17 something for my ticket, large popcorn and drink and a little tub of Ben and Jerry's, went tonight it it was €17.90 for ticket and large popcorn and drink. Also we were in cinema 2 which is very annoying because the toilets are directly underneath it and you can hear and feel the hand dryers when people use them. I really liked showtime at the start but I think I will switch back to the omniplex, it's not worth my while to go across the river when the prices have been hiked up to match the other cinemas.

Nope, I go there very regularly and there have been no price rises(as of yet at least ;) don't be giving them idea's!haha)

Could it have been that the previous time you went it was a pre 9pm show? Where the price is €8.50, that your last visit was post 9pm? where the price goes up to €9?
    That 50c would account for the jump from €17 something....to €17.90.

Agree with you about the dryer noise in screen 2, but hey look on the brightside :D its not like the Savoy where you would have bowling lane noise from overhead constantly AND people are actually washing their hands after going ;)
    It is an annoyance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

on another note, has anyone figured out how to get the handsoap out of the dispensers? cos I know I'm not the only one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LK KID

banie01 wrote: »
    Agree with you about the dryer noise in screen 2, but hey look on the brightside :D its not like the Savoy where you would have bowling lane noise from overhead constantly AND people are actually washing their hands after going ;)
    how long is savoy closed?
    i remember going there as a kid.

LK KID wrote: »
    how long is savoy closed?
    i remember going there as a kid.

late 90's I think, omniplex opened in 1997 if i rmember correctly, savoy closed a couple of years after

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Nope, I go there very regularly and there have been no price rises(as of yet at least ;) don't be giving them idea's!haha)

Could it have been that the previous time you went it was a pre 9pm show? Where the price is €8.50, that your last visit was post 9pm? where the price goes up to €9?
    That 50c would account for the jump from €17 something....to €17.90.

Ah that must have been it so. Didnt know they raised the prices after 9. I love everything else about the cinema it's just so bloody annoying when the movie gets to a quiet part and then all you can hear is the dryers going off! Didnt have that problem with the avengers though :D pity it wasn't better insulated as you can feel the vibrations and everything.

krudler wrote: »
    on another note, has anyone figured out how to get the handsoap out of the dispensers? cos I know I'm not the only one :pac:

The only way I have been able to get it out is to push the nozzle up really hard, and then leave your hand underneath as it doesn't come out immediately after, your definitely not the only I kept looking for something to pull at the back of it before I finally figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Savoy closed around 2002/2003, remember seeing the second Lord Of the Rings flick there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Savoy closed around 2002/2003, remember seeing the second Lord Of the Rings flick there

The Savoy ? Are you sure on that ? I would have thought it closed by the mid 80's at the latest ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

marienbad wrote: »
    The Savoy ? Are you sure on that ? I would have thought it closed by the mid 80's at the latest ?

That was the "old" Savoy. There was another one, a multi-screen, where the Savoy Hotel/Thomas Street shopping area is now.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »

the one with the bowling complex over it, where the hotel is now. I used to live in the Carlton apartments, saw my first movie in there when it was a cinema (Batman in 1989)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Alonso77 wrote: »

It was definitely still open in 2003, I started working in Limerick that year and was in there. Possibly closed 2003 also or maybe 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Pandiani wrote: »
    It was definitely still open in 2003, I started working in Limerick that year and was in there. Possibly closed 2003 also or maybe 2004.

Yep...I remember going to see 'Anger Management' there on a first date with my then girlfriend in 2003.

Amazingly, our relationship survived the combo of a crap movie in a slightly crap cinema and we are now married 5 years! :D

Advertisement