Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema ennis road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's great news for us on the Clare side of the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

Another Nail In The Coffin For The City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Story_Bud wrote: »
    Another Nail In The Coffin For The City Centre

What city centre cinema would this be competing with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

How exactly? Not as if there is a cinema in there and not likely to be one in the next decade. All the councillors like to do is talk about saving the poor city centre but they dont have the bottle to actually do anything to help the situation and seem oblivious that it was most of them there now that contributed to the current state of the city centre with crap planning decisions :mad:

There Is None In The City Centre Thats The Point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Story_Bud wrote: »
    There Is None In The City Centre Thats The Point...

Didn't seem to be anyone making any kind of a move to have one in the city either so it would be unfair to stop someone putting one out the Ennis road. If the opera centre had gone a head then there may have been one in there but we all know how that's turned out.

If the council where so worried about having a cinema in town they should have put some kind of incentive to get one in there. Cheaper rates for a period of time, easy up on the planning permission costs etc...... They love to talk about how businesses should open in town but we never hear of any solutions or good ideas from them. Most the businesses in town have had to get together and fend for themselves just to stay afloat.

Im Happy That There Will Be A Cinema On The Ennis Road And I Will Certainly Use It Plenty of Times Its Just I Would Have Like One In City!If i Didnt Live In The City I Would Never Set Foot Here .. There is No reason To :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

glad this is nearly open and i hope it's a success. hopefully they employ ushers as i am sick of people constantly chatting and ****ing around on their phones every time i go to a movie. hopefully also it isnt full of scumbags from day one

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

glad this is nearly open and i hope it's a success. hopefully they employ ushers as i am sick of people constantly chatting and ****ing around on their phones every time i go to a movie. hopefully also it isnt full of scumbags from day one

When is the opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I heard next friday the 16th. Definately will start going to the cinema more it was a pain in the ass going to opposite sides of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Read the 16th aswell somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

^^
    Front and 4th page of The Limerick Post.

Yup the 16th.

A leaflet handed into my house has it on it.

It also says that you will not be charged extra for 3D. The glasses will be €1 when you first go to a 3D movie and after that you can just keep bringing the same glasses and not pay extra.

It also mentions a VIP screen and that there will be wall to wall screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

do they not have a website?????

found it with alot more detailed searching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

largest screen can hold 350 people and smallest is 100 people, with 7 screens, so they are quite a consistantly big size

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Icky Thump wrote: »
    do they not have a website?????

found it with alot more detailed searching

http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

they have a facebook page too, from an update recently the luxury screen has 70 leather seats in it, guess they're big recliner type ones, really looking forward to seeing what its like, all digital projection too, the standards in Storm have gone to the dogs recently so maybe new competition will give them a kick in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm looking forward to being able to go to the cinema locally and conveniently again! (Living in Caherdavin)

Wonder if the opening night (March 16th) will be packed out??

It will be interesting to gauge the initial enthusiasm,and hopefully it will be well
    patronised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

krudler wrote: »
    they have a facebook page too, from an update recently the luxury screen has 70 leather seats in it, guess they're big recliner type ones, really looking forward to seeing what its like, all digital projection too, the standards in Storm have gone to the dogs recently so maybe new competition will give them a kick in the ass.

As long as the high standards are kept and anyone messing gets thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I will definately be paying a visit to see the Hunger Games, Storm is gone to the dogs, haven't been there in ages and won't be going back. The omniplex isn't better by much. Comfy seats are a must, I'm not even that tall but often feel cramped in the cinema, if there are comfy seats I will keep going back. Competitive pricing would be nice too.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be hoping for reasonable pricing on the food in there. One of the killers in Storm and Omniplex is the price of their popcorn, sweets and drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm going to be hoping for reasonable pricing on the food in there. One of the killers in Storm and Omniplex is the price of their popcorn, sweets and drinks.

Yeah its expensive but that's how they make there money, the profit on ticket sales in really small.

two words: unlimited card. if showtime offer this then byebye the other cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just wanted to make a point with regards to the whole city centre cinema idea.

People on this forum seem to think that having a cinema in the city centre is going to solve all the problems that the city is facing, I couldn't see it having a significant impact and here's why.

First of all, most cinemas in this country are losing money and are struggling to keep their doors open. The film industry is moving away from the traditional theatre medium to an online medium. Netflix have just established themselves in Ireland and going by their achievements in other countries, it wont be long until it becomes a success here. The majority of people use the internet to download movies nowadays and thats the reality, as much as the tv and radio campaigns commend you for going to the cinema, and that "you are are saving the film industry in Ireland".

Secondly, I can't see how a city centre cinema would be successful in Limerick at this present time. If you are a parent bringing your children to the cinema, would you rather struggle to find parking, potentially have your day out be ruined by the weather, and have to carefully guide your children through dangerous traffic and junctions OR would you park for free in any of the conviently located cinemas around the city which also have easy to access adjacent services.

Now, don't get me wrong, nothing would please me more than seeing a thriving city centre in Limerick. However, the infrastructure needs to be put in place before the services are provided for. This city NEEDS efficient public transport from the suburbs to the city centre, the quicker the city centre becomes more appealing to live (functionally and asthetically), the better. Pedestrianisation and the full roll out of the city's orbital route need to happen as soon as possible in conjunction with the delivery of a reasonable public transport system.

Putting a cinema in the city centre at this time, would be equivalent to throwing money down a hole, I just cannot see it being a success at this moment in time.

This city, has a massive opportunity at this time, to completely change the way in which it functions and operates in time for when this recession we are in finally bites the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

Having a cinema in the town was a great success at one stage, I know my grandfather used to travel in the country roads during the late 40's and early 50's to watch Kirk Douglas and Gene Autry movies at the Savoy, of course this was before traffic congestion, the decline in quality of Hollywood film, and before being intimidatingly bombarded with requests for money whilst walking through the town became commonplace.

Anyway, who wants to go through all the hassle of parking and dodging the junkies in the town just to watch rubbish like The Muppets or the latest enthralling offering from George Clooney? This is why people would rather go out and get drunk, there's nothing to watch and nothing to do, and if you do go to the cinema, sitting through a two hour George Clooney snorefest is enough to drive you to the drink (I'm not picking on George Clooney, I feel this way about the majority of current Hollywood stars, although it's the scriptwriters I should be blaming.)

Now, if they decided to have a classic Hollywood marathon in one of these cinemas (as they should be doing), well I'd pay good money to see that. I would LOVE to see Hitchcock or Fritz Lang films on the big screen since I wasn't lucky enough to do so the first time around. Why don't they do that? They do it in American cinemas, I thought we were in awe of America? Also, if they insisted upon opening a cinema in the city centre, why not make it a drive-in cinema? Make it really retro. Why not think outside the box? Give people something to look forward to, and something different to do for a change. That would solve the parking issue, you wouldn't even have to leave the car, have vendors going from car to car offering popcorn and drinks, BUT NO, let's stick to our rigid guidelines, force you to watch The Hurt Locker, and put minimal thought and effort into the planning and layout.

Then they'll wonder why nobody'll show up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (only Quirk Douglas) to figure out that people are jaded from the mundanity of 21st century life. It's time to jazz the town up a bit and make it worth going to again.

Give me my drive-in cinema with classic Hollywood marathons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Campo thinks that Quirk Douglas is a little bit eh Quirky but having said that Campo does agree with the point of loving to see old Hollywood classic from the likes of Hitchock being shown on the big screen it might just be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Hey guys, did this cinema ever advertise jobs for the limerick cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah, it advertised in mid February. Apparently about 500 applied for 50 jobs.

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey guys, did this cinema ever advertise jobs for the limerick cinema?

yeah on their facebook page, I worked in the omniplex once, horrible job, people are animals when it comes to food and cinemas, once you've picked up a few dozen stale nacho cheese containers a night it puts you off working in a cinema for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

krudler wrote: »
    two words: unlimited card. if showtime offer this then byebye the other cinemas.

What is that?

Advertisement