Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Korky

xraylady wrote: »
    Is it definite that they've gone bust? I made booking on 6th July using Mastercard. Bummer... Does anyone know process of trying to recover funds? Looking at accom voucher I received, they use a company called "youtravel" to purchase hotel room. I suppose no point in contacting them.. I can't afford to lose this money! -- As an addendum, actually, I've just contacted youtravel and they've mailed back to say that they will make enquiries first thing in am and let me know..

All purchases made using your credit card are covered by insurance. Contact your bank or the CC company for advice on how to recoup the funding. I was caught in a similar situation (for almost a thousand euros) a few years ago when the Airline EU Jet went bust and the recovery process was very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noonespecial

qwytre wrote: »
    Cheers for the help. Hopefully my booking is still valid, at least I booked by credit card so there is hope of a refund in the worst case scenario.

you will need to request a charge back from your credit card provider

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

Me and the wife went to Cala Bona, Malorca in june and booked with this crowd. When we arrived we were told there was no booking because Sol hotels didn't receive payment so I had to pay with my Laser card. For 5 days we were in touch with the Irish ofice trying to get it sorted. They then sent a payment to the hotel and we got a refund from the hotel. When we got back I sent them an email complaining and they said it was all a misunderstanding and sent us a voucher for $400. Thats not worth a w@nk now.:mad:

Blogschief wrote: »
    Bad news for the people that work there. I always book with travel agent as they are bonded and your money is protected. Prices are no different and even better sometimes because they are searching several suppliers. Also I suspect that previous bloggers is wrong in saying that insurance covers you, I thinbk not.

i agree to a point, not all travel insurance covers you but some does, its worth checking your policy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Eppie25

I booked two hotels one in Vegas and one in Mammoth Lakes with them for August..rang both hotels today and while reservations are there.. they cannot confirm payments so rang the third party listed...one was hotelbeds the other mark travel international.. Mark travel have no listing for us..:mad:

rayobri wrote: »
    I rang GTA and left a message.They got back to me and all they could say was my booking was still valid at this time and that they could give me no other information. They told me I needed to contact 1800hotels.ie. I explained that they were not answering and was told that was all they could do. I then said I would ring back every few days and was told it would be preferable to contact 1800hotels!!

The credit card I booked with was a halifax is no longer in use obviously so if booking gets cancelled I could be screwed.

the Dublin office is closed, the Tampa office is closed, and the UK office is closed.

Its more likely that the US office will open first if any do, you can get the number from 1800hotels.com which is still running.

+1 813 384 2040 (USA)

if they ask you to email in your request do so but also keep ringing and note down when you emailed them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenniferb

My brother made a booking through 1800hotels and the confirmation email says that this is payable through hotelbeds. Does anyone have an email address for this crowd. Have looked on their website and cannot seem to find one. He paid by laser so it's looking like he has lost out :mad:

macl wrote: »
    +1 for bonded travel insurance

very true, i'm always going to make sure any company i use in the future is bonded, i had a booking with them too.

just so you know not even the staff saw this coming.

24hrhotels wrote: »
    1800hotels have most of their hotels with GTA, Youtravel & Travco. You are covered by your credit card. Just ring your credit card company and tell them 1800hotels has taken a payment and there is no hotel reservation. You will get a refund. On your voucher you should be able to distinguish who the Handler or Travel provider is. You can then contact them directly and rebook your Hotel.

Remember when you pay by card you are covered.

the travel provider is on the vouchers "Payable by [company name]" as seen in my previous posts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SmarterEgg

phone up GTA and ask, tell them you booked with 1800hotels

anyone who has a booking phone up the supplier directly and check the booking

Turns out our booking is confirmed with the hotel. I guess we're one of the lucky few.

steve-o wrote: »
    Careful now! You are only covered by travel agent bonding if you buy a package. Hotel only or flight only is not covered. Always book by credit card wherever possible.

If confirmed, it's sad to see them go and terrible for anyone with immediate plans or anyone who has lost money.

good advice always use a Credit Card, not a Debit Card or bank transfer, you will not be covered the same as you would if you pay by Credit Card

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eppie25

SmarterEgg wrote: »
    Turns out our booking is confirmed with the hotel. I guess we're one of the lucky few.

Did you check if they had received the full payment?? this was the case with my hotels today.. they had my name and reservation but no money as of yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Does anyone have a contact for Tourico? I've been searching their website to no avail. Seems to only have business contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Its more likely that the US office will open first if any do, you can get the number from 1800hotels.com which is still running.

noonespecial,

Are you able to access 1800hotels.com here in Ireland? Just curious because via EIRCOM I CANNOT, just hangs. However if I use a Proxy Service to annonymise I can access it ok.

Aidan

aidanodr wrote: »
    Apparently they based out of Florida USA also at:

http://www.1800hotels.com/

Gone also Im afraid ..

Aidan

www.1800hotels.com has not gone

www.1800hotels.ie has gone

www.1800hotels.com im not sure how long it will remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenniferb

Make sure that the hotel has also received payment. I have also received confirmation from the hotel that the booking is confirmed but am awaiting confirmation on receipt of the payment.

sp_en_ny wrote: »
    Trust me they have gone, if you paid by credit card contact your banks and get your money back asap. If you travel your hotel will most likely have been cancelled and if you travel you will have to pay direct (assuming they have availability) at a higher rate. Call the hotels in advance and see if they will honour the original price you paid 1800 but be warned they dont have to. All staff were sent home yesterday and i gather a rescue package was being worked on but i think this will be very unlikely. All their suppliers are cancelling all of their bookings. This is as much as i can say i am afraid.

not all bookings will be canceled, only the ones that 1800hotels haven't paid for yet will be so check your booking it may be OK.

sp_en_ny wrote: »
    Hi Katcali,

I know hotelbeds and they have offices around the world but their main one is in Spain. Hotelbeds i think were involved in a rescue package that looks as though it wont materialise and if so i am certain they will be cancelling all bookings that have not arrived. Only suppliers where 1800 had to prepay wont or should not be cancelled. However, very much doubt there were many suppliers where prepayment was required.

that rescue package hasn't happened, it failed, i have this info from an employee of 1800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Does anyone have a contact for Tourico? I've been searching their website to no avail. Seems to only have business contacts.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Very interesting. I for one cannot get at www.1800hotels.com through normal browsing. BUT if you use a proxy server to browse annonymously - that is to make it look like you are browsing from outside Ireland - IT WORKS. I tried this as a few people in the states have said they can get at the .COM site no problem.

Here is a proxy service:

http://www.zend2.com/

Just pop in www.1800hotels.com into the ENTER URL field further down the page AND GO, wait for 30 seconds or so ... tadaa!

So are they somehow blocking Irish customers and trying to sustain the US business??

Aidan

that makes sense, they have blocked Irish IP addresses which is why i can see it as I'm not in Ireland, they use geo location to change currency's on the sites so it would be easy to block off one area.

to get to the .com site use a proxy to get round it, see my previous post for phone numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 24hrhotels

very true, i'm always going to make sure any company i use in the future is bonded, i had a booking with them too.

just so you know not even the staff saw this coming.

Just to let you know companies that have been bonded in the past and have gone bust, their customers have found that it is more difficult to get a refund.

I know from experience that when a large Irish Travel company went bust last year a disagreement arouse between the credit card companies and the bond insurers as to who was liable for the refund. As far as I am aware many of these individuals have not yet been refunded because of this wrangle. So bonded companies are not the answer either and in many cases a bonded company would not cover any hotel reservations as it generally only cover package holidays.

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Have rang CC company and they have said until they recieve official confirmation that 1800 have gone into liquidation then theres nothing we can do. Once they get the confirmation then we can send in a letter for a payment refund chargeback. They have been advised to ask all customers to to check with the hotel directly and confirm the reservation is valid. I have rang our hotel which is in Florida and the reservation is still there. I didnt ask them however if the payment has been recieved for the reservation. I hope all is okay but I highly doubt it. Well heres to finding a new hotel.

unfortunately this is the case until 1800 are officially bankrupt the card providers cant do anything as from there eyes the company still exists

PPC - PAY PER CLICK maybe - where you advertise on likes of GOOGLE down right hand side of search list, someone clicks through to your site, YOU the advert owner, PAY a fee per click, not the clicker ...

Look up Google Adwords

Aidan

it wasn't just PPC, there was a lot more to it I'm told but i don't know any details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SmarterEgg

Eppie25 wrote: »
    Did you check if they had received the full payment?? this was the case with my hotels today.. they had my name and reservation but no money as of yet!

They said that it was paid for.

Newbee09 wrote: »
    we have booked a holiday for my mums 60th in august. The voucher says payable through TRANSFAR AGENCIA DE VIAGENS E TURISMO ? Anyone know who these are?

that is not a 1800 hotels supplier, translated that is "TRANSFER AGENCY, TRAVEL AND TOURISM"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I booked last night with them. The sneaky feckers taking my booking knowing this was going to happen. The hotels dont have my booking yet so have to check with them tomorrow if they do but not hopeful. the credit card company advised not much can do at moment and they have had a good few calls about it today by the sounds of it. Also no answer obviously on the 1800hotels phone number.

I think i will book another hotels and ensure it allows me to cancel with all my money back if my 1800hotels booking goes through ok.

i'm glad to hear it, its defiantly worth checking with the supplier, i would also recheck shortly before you are due to stay there to be doubly sure

E-mail: info@touricoholidays.com

E-mail: fit@touricoholidays.com

E-mail: salesdept@touricoholidays.com

any of these can help you

• Advertisement

noonespecial,

Are you able to access 1800hotels.com here in Ireland? Just curious because via EIRCOM I CANNOT, just hangs. However if I use a Proxy Service to annonymise I can access it ok.

Aidan

yes i can access it but i'm not in Ireland, they have blocked Irish IP addresses which is why if you use an annonymiser it will work

Advertisement