Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

13468921

Comments



  • dids6457 wrote: »
    No problem. I couldn't get through to them as I was too late this evening. Were they able to tell you that they received the money and would be paying the hotel? If they have received the money e will be ok.
    No. Without even looking my booking up, they suggested that because my booking was for before the end of month, that it would be ok. They fobbed me off a bit and said that I'd be ok unless I heard differently. I must have been a bit flustered to accept such a vague answer! Hope you have more luck tomorrow.. Thanks




  • meteor27 wrote: »
    I booked part of our honeymoon last night, it took me nearly 2 days to get website to have prices on it, so when it seemed back to normal last night, we booked it straight away. I rang mbna my cc company and they advised me to ring back 2mro. I seem to be under Mark International Travel, has anyone else tried to contact them?

    if i was you i would try and get the card company to give you the money back, or if you can get hold of 1800 get them to refund you but i bet they wont




  • OH I really think the joke is on us.

    Sent an email to [email protected]s.ie just there to ask for refund (need to attempt contact them for CC chargeback) - an auto reply email arrived 2 minutes later from 1800hotels. The subject line? 'Want to cancel? Now you can, online!'

    Ironic or what?


    This will cancel your booking but it doesn't automatically refund the money, this is a manual process




  • if i was you i would try and get the card company to give you the money back, or if you can get hold of 1800 get them to refund you but i bet they wont

    hiya.. I contacted Mark Travel Corporation today in Wisconsin.. they had no reservation for me on their system, I booked in May for August...:confused:




  • I'm sickened by this :( Booked a hotel for August by Laser (damn it!) Rang the hotel, they said reservations desk is closed and to call back in the morning, the company line is also closed....

    Bookings by LaserCard? No chance of seeing that money again eh?


  • Advertisement


  • xraylady wrote: »
    No. Without even looking my booking up, they suggested that because my booking was for before the end of month, that it would be ok. They fobbed me off a bit and said that I'd be ok unless I heard differently. I must have been a bit flustered to accept such a vague answer! Hope you have more luck tomorrow.. Thanks

    actually this is quite likely with some suppliers, the accounts have to be settled monthly so it depends on who you got booked with supplier wise and their policy's




  • Eppie25 wrote: »
    hiya.. I contacted Mark Travel Corporation today in Wisconsin.. they had no reservation for me on their system, I booked in May for August...:confused:

    that's interesting as it seems from peoples reports that they are currently using Mark International on their www.1800hotels.com site




  • I spoke to my hotel (Booking made in April for December Booking). GTA has not cancelled. They were aware about 1800hotels but would let me know if the booking was cancelled.

    Spoke to GTA in London. Extremely rude, told me that all 1800hotel booking would be cancelled as 1800hotels owe them millions. I asked whether my booking was paid for given it was April and the money should have transferred. Told we were going around in circles. I then questioned whether they were complicit in this matter by allowing bookings to be made up to 3 days ago, knowing consumers had paid up front and that their sanction against 1800hotels would be to cancel bookings. I asked for the individual's name at which point he hung up. I will be seeking charge back from my credit card company.

    Perhaps, I will also be reporting GTA to the OFT in London and the EU Commission.




  • I spoke to my hotel (Booking made in April for December Booking). GTA has not cancelled. They were aware about 1800hotels but would let me know if the booking was cancelled.

    Spoke to GTA in London. Extremely rude, told me that all 1800hotel booking would be cancelled as 1800hotels owe them millions. I asked whether my booking was paid for given it was April and the money should have transferred. Told we were going around in circles. I then questioned whether they were complicit in this matter by allowing bookings to be made up to 3 days ago, knowing consumers had paid up front and that their sanction against 1800hotels would be to cancel bookings. I asked for the individual's name at which point he hung up. I will be seeking charge back from my credit card company.

    Perhaps, I will also be reporting GTA to the OFT in London and the EU Commission.

    Wow! that's really rude, it may just have been that single person but its still unacceptable i would call back and get a manager and tell them the time of the call they may record their calls or log them then they can discipline the person, your having a hard enough time with 1800 with out them adding to it.




  • This will cancel your booking but it doesn't automatically refund the money, this is a manual process


    I know, I just found it ironic. Don't expect to get my money back from them, was just ticking all the boxes to ensure I have done everything I can do to get a chargeback with the CC company.


  • Advertisement


  • Wow! that's really rude, it may just have been that single person but its still unacceptable i would call back and get a manager and tell them the time of the call they may record their calls or log them then they can discipline the person, your having a hard enough time with 1800 with out them adding to it.

    He told me this was the instruction by management.




  • He told me this was the instruction by management.

    that's all well and good but there's no need to put it rudely and then to hang up when you asked the persons name! that's the really rude bit there's no need for that.

    i would put in a complaint, might get credit towards a future booking.




  • homerdog wrote: »
    The demise of 1800 Hotels is another example of the 'double standards' in the Irish Travel Trade.

    Dozens of these hotel brokers sprung up during the boom years without any regulation, bonding or licencing. Many of them have gone the way of 1800 Hotels leaving many disgruntled customers many of whom have paid in full only to find the bookings were cancelled because that money never reached the hotel.

    Whats the answer ?. Book through a travel agent. They have to be licenced and are bonded, so any money paid is protected, And because TA's are impartial, they source hotels from many different suppliers .

    Don't always believe that internet bookings are always cheaper. Whats the good of that if your money is gone up the Swanee ?

    You wouldn't be in the travel agent business yourself by any chance? ;)




  • that's all well and good but there's no need to put it rudely and then to hang up when you asked the persons name! that's the really rude bit there's no need for that.

    i would put in a complaint, might get credit towards a future booking.

    I would just like my booking honoured or my money back.




  • I have booked for Dubai for the 29th August was due payment on Sunday heard Joe Duffy today(thankfully) so rang hotel and my booking is cancelled, Im one of the very lucky ones iv only lost €200, my deposit. I had been trying to contact them to make an amendment and pay remaining money owed, e-mailed and rang, left messages too. Rang a friend who works in another on line agency and he is sure visa will refund but they need proof of the booking and payment. I wonder will they be contacting people to tell them there booking is cancelled!!!! Naive me thinks!!




  • From what I've heard they'll probably make some kind of announcement tomorrow either way. I find it a little bad that they dropped the .ie site instead of putting up a holding page that explained the situation.

    Paul




  • flamegrill wrote: »
    From what I've heard they'll probably make some kind of announcement tomorrow either way. I find it a little bad that they dropped the .ie site instead of putting up a holding page that explained the situation.

    Paul


    there is now a holding page there, with an explaination

    http://www.1800hotels.ie




  • Hi Guys,

    Chatting to wife - a solicitor - as far as she can understand from contract law surely the hotels have no right to be canceling YOU at this stage. YOUR contract is with 1800hotels.ie - not the hotel, the hotel have no right to cancel because THEIR contract is with 1800hotels.ie not you.

    In otherwise - you paid up - its none of your business where the hotel gets its money, as far as you are concerned YOU PAID THEM.

    This make any sense?

    Just like a restaurant saying OH, the steak was off, OK, well thats farmer joes fault. In your case YOU dont care, your contract is with the restaurant owner, not the farmer?

    Aidan




  • there is now a holding page there, with an explaination

    http://www.1800hotels.ie



    1800Hotels has been forced by two suppliers into bankruptcy proceedings to restructure its debt. Some customers may experience room cancellations. All customers should contact their hotel directly to make sure that their reservation is not affected.

    1800Hotels is pursuing a legal injunction to prevent any further disruption of customer travel. We will work diligently to resolve this matter as soon as possible and will provide more information as it becomes available.

    - 1800Hotels


    Doesnt really help much does it?. I just want my booking honoured or money back. i have booked another hotel now which allows all money back if i cancel so i am covering myself for it so either way should be ok. If they dont honour my booking will chargeback on CC and if they do will cancel the other hotel with no charge.




  • Is chargeback that easy??

    Surely, if company bust then no money there to take?


  • Advertisement


  • aidanodr wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

    Chatting to wife - shes a solicitor - as far as she can understand from contract law surely the hotels have no right to be cancelling at this stage. Your contract is with 1800hotels.ie - not the hotel, the hotel have no right to cancel because THEIR contract is with 1800hotels.ie not you.

    In otherwise - you paid up - its none of your business where the hotel gets its money, as far as you are concerned YOU PAID THEM.

    This make any sense?

    Aidan

    yes but 1800hotels have broken their contract with the hotels by not paying them and as such the hotel doesnt have to provide the accomodation. They have no contract with the consumer and thus do not have to honour it.




  • Good point, I wouldnt take this out on my learned wife, I have had a few vino's so might have explained it or picked it up wrong :D - note to self, never add serious comments where wine or drink is involved.

    However - I thought it worth mentioning - even in a convoluted manner - as a point of possible debate ...

    Aidan




  • Is chargeback that easy??

    Surely, if company bust then no money there to take?

    Its the good things about credit cards. Covers for companies that have ceased trading. Can take some time to resolve though by looks of it.




  • 1800 is who you have the contract with so you'd have no recourse through the hotels themselves.

    Just an fyi for the unlucky ones; you can likely assume it will be months before you get your money back. The company will have to enter liquidation appointed by the creditors/shareholders or liquidation petitioned in the High Court or a Receiver appointed by a judgement/charge holder. Even to get your letters from any of these to send to Visa/Mastercard will take a minimum of a month. Those who paid by laser would rank as unsecured claims and its unlikely you'll get anything as a company like 1800 would have shag all realisable assets.




  • Yes it would appear that your contract is with 1800hotels.ie:

    Link to Cached terms page of 1800hotels.ie

    They use you ( our client ) 3 times, for example:

    "In the unlikely event that the hotel cannot provide the booked accommodation, you (our client) accept that .."

    However, they also say:

    "All Irish hotels offered are contracted via 0800hotels"

    Who are 0800hotels??

    Aidan




  • Is chargeback that easy??

    Surely, if company bust then no money there to take?

    the company goes in to the hands of receivers who strip the company of any assets and use the money to pay "Debtors" e.g 1800 hotels suppliers and its customers but you would need to wait until its officially declared bankrupt and then you have to register as a debtor with the receivers which will be publically announced in the national papers.

    at least thats how it works in the UK so i would assume is very much the same in Ireland, unless some how they manage to do it using US law.




  • aidanodr wrote: »
    Yes it would appear that your contract is with 1800hotels.ie:

    Link to Cached terms page of 1800hotels.ie

    They use you ( our client ) 3 times, for example:

    "In the unlikely event that the hotel cannot provide the booked accommodation, you (our client) accept that .."

    However, they also say:

    "All Irish hotels offered are contracted via 0800hotels"

    Who are 0800hotels??

    Aidan

    0800hotels is an old company that 1800hotels used to own which was for the UK market this then got merged with the US site www.1800hotels.com

    Not all Irish hotels offered are contracted by 1800hotels that's not true so you must have a really old version of the terms




  • Hi noonespecial,

    If you go to the cached link I popped up you will notice up top as per GOOGLE:

    " It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 30 Jun 2010 08:37:11 GMT. "

    So its the latest ish of the terms and conditions.

    Just do a search in google for - http://www.1800hotels.ie/terms.aspx - then click on the CACHED link button alongside the google link.

    It looks old because I elected to take the TEXT VERSION of the page, faster to download. This is the page I provided in the link above!

    Aidan




  • aidanodr wrote: »
    Hi noonespecial,
    It looks old because I elected to take the TEXT VERSION of the page, faster to download. This is the page I provided in the link above!

    Aidan


    i guess they just didn't update it properly which seems odd as the .com terms don't show that and they should be near enough the same

    http://www.1800hotels.com/terms.aspx


  • Advertisement


  • For the convenience of BLOCKED Irish surfers:

    The 1800hotels.com terms page - recent google cached

    It seems they are "a Florida limited liability company". So sounds like their terms are under Florida law?

    Aidan


Advertisement