Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 griffinj

lauralou1 wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone shed any light on You Travel....ie whether it is safe to go ahead and rebook with them or not? My CC company (BOI) have advised me to try and book directly with the hotel and not through You Travel. My room is still confirmed with hotel although not paid for yet and I am worried that if I contact hotel directly You Travel may still cancel the room either way.

Any advise appreciated!!!

Hi i'm in the same predicament with youtravel i am very nervous about paying them again but unfortunetly my hotel is completely booked up on the dates i need. Youtravel have the rooms blocked booked so i kinda have no choice than to pay them to keep my booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AlfieF

lauralou1 wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone shed any light on You Travel....ie whether it is safe to go ahead and rebook with them or not? My CC company (BOI) have advised me to try and book directly with the hotel and not through You Travel. My room is still confirmed with hotel although not paid for yet and I am worried that if I contact hotel directly You Travel may still cancel the room either way.

Any advise appreciated!!!

I am in the same boat but have looked into youtravel a bit and they seem quite secure, I am quite nervous letting them take the same amount of money off my credit card again, if the same happens with them then thats the end of our holiday!!:(

An English guy owns the company and up until last month Barclays owned a large share in it, however they sold their share to an Arab guy (member of some royal family seemingly). They seem a lot more secure than 1800!!

I am going to rebook tomorrow with youtravel, fingers crossed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

An interesting article by Eoghan Corry, Wednesday 14th july, Evening Herald, about 1800hotels.

Haven't yet mastered the skill of transferring material, so perhaps some kind person will oblige. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Here2helpu

Hi all, I have limited knowledge but will try to help as much as possible. If you cant find who the supplier is on your voucher, email information1800@gmail.com with your hotel confirmation number. Many suppliers have unique references. I will do my best to help you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marypat

What a nightmare, we were booked with 1800hotels for the end of the month and have found out from youtravel that although they have the confirmation they have not recieved payment from 1800hotels.:mad: Luckily we have paid by credit card so I am relying on the fact that my visa covers me. I dont really care anyway as I havent paid my visa bill yet.

Anyway good news is I took the plunge and booked again with 24hrhotels.com, who are agents for youtravel in Ireland. I am delighted because it was a lot cheaper than the amount we originally paid and because they use Paypal I had a few quid in my account from a few bits and bobs i sold on ebay and was able to use that. Happy days!

I feel a lot safer having paid with paypal. I know from buyin and sellin on ebay that if something goes wrong its very easy to get your money back.

All I have to do now is wait for the liquidators to give me a letter and hopefully that will be the end of it and good riddens to that shower 1800hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noonespecial

Hi Sp_en_ny,

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I booked through HotelBeds, but cant find a phone number anywhere - tried the contact section of their website and it keeps throwing up an error.

Any chance you have contact details for them?

CUSTOMER SERVICE EUROPE:
    Eduardo López Isturiz
    customercare.european@hotelbeds.com
    Tel. +34 971 178 712 (8170)
    Fax. +34 971 460 193

I'm in the same boat here.... Have booked 9 days away and found this out! Booked about a month ago Rang the hotel and they said they have my booking/reservation but no money. Tried calling 1800 but to no avail... Called YouTravel in greece (i think?) and they didnt know much so i then eventually got through to their English office and was told tha 1800hotels have ceased and that i had to pay xxx amount to keep my booking. the amount works out to be 20e more than the original price. I have since found the hotel cheaper on a different website - 24hrshotel.com. We booked through a CC but they have said that they cant refund the money yet until they know exactly what has happened with 1800hotels... So thats not certain... I cannot afford to book hotel again, i need to get a refund and use that to pay for it!!! agh!!!

Any one else get advice or information from their CC company?

Thanks

opps i didnt read the post properly

hi everyone
    am in the same boat as most people, found out a few hours ago.
    had nearly all of my accommadation in florida and bahamas booked (and paid for) - going next week.
    rang the 3 hotels i had booked,1 of them said it had been cancelled on the 7th July - a full week ago - and i got no word from 1800 sooo mad!

2 of them said that my bookings are fine and that they are paid for, i'm just worried that 1800 will cancel them a couple of days before i go and ill have to pay again at the hotel. if they're going to do this i'd much rather know now so that I can book online and get better rates...anyone any advice?

thanks

its not 1800 hotels that is canceling the bookings its the suppliers, if the booking hasnt been paid for by 1800 hotels they are canceling them.

1800 haven't told anyone anything not even an email to all customers to say whats going on. its disgusting they why they have just gone silent and ignoring everyone, customers, Suppliers and even staff I'm told!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sp_en_ny

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Hi SP would this be the same number if you booked a hotel in the USA, specifically Florida. Thx, W

You will most definitely need another number for the US office, however if you call this office they may be able to help you by giving you the info you need or give you an alternative number to call instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sp_en_ny

For those whose reservations have been cancelled and need to rebook. I have previosuly recommended www.onhotels.com If you book through them make sure you put July10 in the promotional code and you will get an extra 5% deducted from the total price of your booking. Hope this helps for those that may be interested.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Cheers SP i rang yesterday evening and was politely told to take it up with 1800. Have seen an email posted here in this thread earlier and have emailed hotelbeds who no doubt will not get back to me. Thanks again SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elaine08

Hi,

I emailed hotelbeds too yesterday and haven't got a reply yet. I got a reply from my hotel saying they still have the reservation. I rang my CC company (PTSB - Visa) and they said they cannot give me back my money. i have to talk to the liquidators

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Manchgreen

Hi Jamser89,

I'm not sure what to do either and whether the hotels will eventually be cancelled by GTA. For the moment, I've e-mailed the hotel asking that they contact me if it is cancelled and we will pay them directly, my husband subsequently e-mailed them and asked that GTA's name be taken off the booking and replaced by ours and we will pay them directly - I haven't heard back from them though. It was very hard to get an e-mail address for them, they are part of a chain and I was just getting passed around in a reservations office somewhere costing me a fortune in phone credit. The hotel is booked out when we're going so that's why we are trying to do it this way. I'm going to hold off for a few more days - I'm lucky in that we're not travelling until October so I can wait to see what happens. I paid by Laser though so if it is cancelled I have no comeback. I'll update if I hear anything from the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Elaine08

Hi,

Just to let you know i was booked to stay in tenerife in September. The apartments have emailed me today to say it has been cancelled as of today. The payable to person is Hotel Beds Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

griffinj wrote: »
    Hiya it such a nightmare, i have to pay the full amount again to you travel and hopefully claim my original money back on cc but need liquidators letters.

You should try Alpharooms, booking.com, laterooms.com, travelrepublic.ie there are lots more you can find online too :)

Hope this helps

Just on travelrepublic they too are an independent so can go under just as easily. The one thing to be careful of yes they are bonded under the ABTA scheme however this applies only to bookings departing the UK so if you are departing Ireland you are not covered under that scheme they do not seem to be bonded with the aviation regulator.

you can see which agents are licensed and bonded http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/TA%20current%20licenses%202010%2024%2006%2010.pdf and which tour operators are licensed and bonded http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/TA%20current%20licenses%202010%2024%2006%2010.pdf all details can be found on http://www.aviationreg.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

This is all such a shambles :(:(

Alot of our guests used them to book the hotel for our wedding abroad in Sept. I contacted the hotel and luckily they have all the rooms reserved for them but they arent paid for yet as they explained that they dont invoice the company for payment until AFTER you stay there. So I contacted You Travel and turns they have to all re-pay again to hold onto the rooms :mad::mad:

Thing is - you travel are looking to be paid - how reliable are they? Imagine if they re-paid and then in a couple of weeks you travel go out of business!!!! They have until 21/8/10 to re-pay or the rooms will be cancelled. At least the price you travel are looking for is actually a bit less than what they paid 1800 hotels so not too bad - would they be safe enough to pay them???

Im also trying to sort out directly with the hotel to see if we can just pay them directly, i think everyone would prefer that!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

I've just been on to the Credit Card Dept in AIB. I'd say I wasn't the first call on this issue! Our situation is complicated by the fact that we'd originally booked, using a Visa card, to travel in mid-April but were stymied by the volcanic ash cloud. 1800hotels.ie offered us a voucher for the full price that we paid for the hotel, but we hadn't spent it yet.

Anyway, after a brief chat I was told that AIB would be dispute the charge and that I was to post or fax all the details in to them. It all seems very straightforward so hopefully we'll get our money back.

So for those of you who haven't done so, I'd advise you to get in touch with your CC provider as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 godders

I am also sceptical about you travel i've already been stung once don't want it to happen again :mad: So i've cut my losses and booked another hotel through Booking.com as they only take your card details to reserve your room but you don't pay till you get there so a much safer option for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 suzr

Has anyone heard back from Hotelbeds Spain? I have a booking in Barcelona on the 27th. The hotel still has my reservation but don't normally get payment until the guest has checked out.
    I have emailed hotelbeds to see if they have gotten payment but have heard nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katcali

suzr wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back from Hotelbeds Spain? I have a booking in Barcelona on the 27th. The hotel still has my reservation but don't normally get payment until the guest has checked out.
    I have emailed hotelbeds to see if they have gotten payment but have heard nothing back.

Well I emailed Hotelbeds in Lanzarote as that is where we are due to go and they replied within a couple of minutes and were very nice. Look at this webpage and maybe email the Costa Brava email instead as they might be more able to help. http://suppliers.hotelbeds.com/infoSoporte.jsp
    They will probably just tell you that they are in the process of cancelling all the 1800hotels bookings and that you need to contact the hotel directly to confirm and repay your booking. Its so annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 derekoneill

Whats the story with youtravel? They said they need re payment to confirm the booking or confirmation email to cancel booking and then they will send out an email of some sort saying the booking has been cancelled. Has anyone done this yet and got this email? What does the email they send say?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eimi

I wonder can anyone help - I'm also in the same situation as most people - booked to go on hols 31st July through 1800 hotels - Have contacted You Travel and they have told me that I have until next Friday 23rd July to either cancel or re-book my hotel our my booking will be cancelled.

I also contacted the hotel directly and they have confirmed via email that my hotel is booked and paid for - but You Travel said that they will take back the money from the hotel if I don't pay them - Can they do this!! I've asked the hotel not allow anyone to cancel the booking!! ???

Eimi wrote: »
    I wonder can anyone help - I'm also in the same situation as most people - booked to go on hols 31st July through 1800 hotels - Have contacted You Travel and they have told me that I have until next Friday 23rd July to either cancel or re-book my hotel our my booking will be cancelled.

I also contacted the hotel directly and they have confirmed via email that my hotel is booked and paid for - but You Travel said that they will take back the money from the hotel if I don't pay them - Can they do this!! I've asked the hotel not allow anyone to cancel the booking!! ???

What??? They are looking to be paid twice??? Are you SURE your hotel said your room is paid for - thats its not just reserved?

As I said above our hotel told us the way it works is they pay for the hotel room after you check out so how could the hotel be paid for the room already?

No I double checked three times, got them to put it writing and this is what they said

"We checked already the agency’s payments and they are OK, so we won’t have any inconvenience with your reservation"

I don't trust You Travel now!!!

What the hell??

Yeah Im having serious doubts about them too - like how do we actually know they dont have all our payments and are just trying to cash in?????

Yep I'm thinking the same - I've told the hotel not to allow them to cancel the booking but I'm worried!!

Can they cancel the booking and take back the money?? It can't be company policy for them to pay for the hotel without already receiving the money from 1800 hotels!!

One of my work collegues has the same situation - Different hotel has told her that they are paid but You Travel said no and they want payment!!!

Definatly doesnt seem right!

I think I read earlier on this thread though that they can cancel booking as they made the booking (not you) if you get me?

I would tell you travel that you arent paying and let them cancel the room and in the mean time you could ask the hotel when the room is cancelled would they hold on to it for you and pay the hotel direct?

You might end up paying more but for peace of mind?

Did you pay 1800 with a credit card?

Yes paid by CC - but I wonder can You Travel cancel the hotel - Why would the hotel give up the money??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brigantes

qwytre wrote: »
    Would you have any idea how far back 1800Hotels have been cancelling reservations for? I booked a hotel last May, the hotel said its booked but obviously I'm concerned that they haven't got payment.

I tried ringing "Travco" but the phone number isn't working.

I spoke to Travco this morning. Very helpful.

I'd booked a hotel in April with 1800hotels for a trip in August. The hotel confirmed that Travco had cancelled the reservation.

Travco said they had no option but to cancel all future bookings as 1800hotels has failed to pay "a substantial amount" for past bookings.

Staff were very nice on the phone and advised me to contact my Credit Card company directly for a refund - they even sent me an email confirming the cancellation and why, to forward onto my credit card company when I apply for a chargeback.

Just hope I can find another hotel now - to book the same room in the same hotel now would cost me €200 more. Hope I can get a credit card refund for what I paid in April too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

I have contacted both Tourico and GTA in relation to bookings made with 1800hotels.

Both have finally got back to me saying to get in contact with 1800hotels to check on the status of my booking and that they cannot comment further. Complete waste of time.

What is my next step as theres nothing I can send to the bank?

Has anybody an idea what process i should follow in getting a chargeback now?

Advertisement