Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1800hotels.ie - what's happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

Hi

Booked a hotel with 1800 2 weeks ago for the end of August. The confirmation voucher says payable by GTA. I have been in contact with the hotel and they say the booking is there and has been paid for, I then contacted GTA who didnt say much except they are waiting to see etc and that they have contacted the hotel. I am unsure what this means as the hotel has been paid is it still possible that GTA may cancel the reservation?? Not getting much answers dont know what to do. can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 XxcloudxX

Hey All,

just wondering if anybody has an email address for mark international? rang them already but wasnt really helpful, they said my reservation was still there but he wasnt obliged to tell me if it was paid for. hotel have no reservation so dunno wat to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 meteor27

Im in same boat, booking is under Mark International. I BOOKED ONLINE MONDAY NIGHT, when new broke on Tues, I rang my cc striaght away, they could tell me amount was still pending anf to ring back this morn again. So when I rang this morn, 1800 HAD TAKEN THE MONEY and in literally the last 24 hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

We went to la pineda near salou and barcelona at the start of june with 1800. Flew into Barca international. Transfer didn't turn up (A2b as reccomended by 1800) eventually haggled a taxi. Rang the hotel to say we would be late. She said that our booking was cancelled. Rang 1800. It was late at night, eventually go through, they said they would deal with it and within a half hour got a call back from the states syaing it was all sorted and it was. We were staying in barcelona for a night on the way back so I rang 1800 and asked was the booking safe because of what ad happened previously. I was told that all the hotel servers in spain went down and that was what the initial problem was. Our hotel was fine but it was obviously a load of bs. Cracks were there then and they decided to tryy ride it out and take in people's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Volviclady

i rang them again today and got no joy, they have cancelled all 1800 bookings they have. The woman on the phone was very rude, just kept saying it wasnt her problem then hung up.

their phone number is 001 407 667 8700
    all bookings with them have been cancelled and cant be rebooked through them.

I spoke with some guy there yesterday, but he didnt know enough to help me and advised I emailed fit@touricoholidays.com. Got a silly reponse from them but emailed them back just asking if they can confirm if I have a booking or not.....not hopeful about a response though.

Bank of Ireland said I will have to wait for a liquidator to be appointed before they can refund!!! How long does that kind of thing take!!! I cant really afford to book another hotel until I get my refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Manchgreen

My 1800 booking is also with GTA - I rang the hotel this morning and they said it is still reserved and paid for, afterwards I rang GTA who would only say that everything up to 20th July is cancelled and after date is ok but I still need to check with 1800 which obviously I can't do!

Matt Cooper's programme discussing this now - 16.50pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rock2005

I spoke with Tourico about a booking in September, also got a mail as below

"I have searched the system a bit more with the docs that you sent me and I can again confirm not only that I don’t have a reservation with you, I don’t even have a contract with this hotel for September, so it’d have been physically impossible for me to book it.
    I don’t understand how Freephone could confirm it to you, it makes no sense at all, and I don’t understand how come they say it’s booked through us!!!
    You might want to call the hotel directly to confirm this, and feel free to contact me if their information is any different, but I have nothing.

Regarding the deposit, you need to chase Freephone to get it back. I suggest you check if it was part of ABTA or any other Travel Agency organization and contact them as they have a duty to respond for their members.

Regarding your stay in New York, I suggest you get online asap and get it booked again as otherwise you will end up with nothing, as you don’t have any booking right now. Or even the hotel directly. Maybe they can give you a special deal considering the circumstances (you can always try).

I am really sorry and believe me I would help more if I could, and we would try to keep any existing booking but we don’t even have a contract with the hotel for those dates, so there is really nothing I can do."

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

I had a hotel booked in Boston from July 18th. Both GTA and hotel have said that it is cancelled so at least I know where I stand.

I don't really believe GTA if they say everything after July 20th is ok. I would take it as meaning that they have not cancelled the reservations yet, but will do if they dont receive payment from GTA (which obviously will not happen)! So I would start looking at booking somewhere else if I were you.

Also GTA cannot re-book hotels as they do not take bookings from individuals, only agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Vimto

My booking is for the 29th July and the hotel has advised me that the booking was cancelled last Saturday!!

Still having no luck getting through to 1800 hotels - even though they are still faxing through their ''offer's'' to my fax machine! :mad:

I paid with my visa debit card - does anyone know if i would be covered?!!! I'm scared paid in full for 8 days accomodation :(

• Advertisement

Manchgreen wrote: »
    My 1800 booking is also with GTA - I rang the hotel this morning and they said it is still reserved and paid for, afterwards I rang GTA who would only say that everything up to 20th July is cancelled and after date is ok but I still need to check with 1800 which obviously I can't do!

As i am in a similiar situation I am wondering what is the next step? do you take the companys word, as the hotel have been paid does this mean we happen to be lucky. Can GTA still cancel the booking? or are they only canceling hotels which have not recieved money already. I am extremly confused whether or not I should ring the bank or wait and see will the hotel be canceled. I still have a few weeks before i travel so i am lucky. what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Firefly79

My booking was also 'payable by GTA'. Rang the hotel this morning and they have no record of it. Got no reply from GTA when I emailed them. To be honest, I think GTA have cancelled all 1800 bookings. Judging from what I've read on here, they don't seem to be helping people much.

I'm not travelling till September, but still a pain. Have now booked a different hotel closer to the venue my conference is at. At least i haven't arrived to my destination to discover I have no room waiting for me. What a mess!

Thanks to everyone giving advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Vimto

do you think it's a good idea to go and make another booking then?

Suppose it's the only option - though will have to pay out in full again!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 derekoneill

I'm in the same boat here.... Have booked 9 days away and found this out! Booked about a month ago Rang the hotel and they said they have my booking/reservation but no money. Tried calling 1800 but to no avail... Called YouTravel in greece (i think?) and they didnt know much so i then eventually got through to their English office and was told tha 1800hotels have ceased and that i had to pay xxx amount to keep my booking. the amount works out to be 20e more than the original price. I have since found the hotel cheaper on a different website - 24hrshotel.com. We booked through a CC but they have said that they cant refund the money yet until they know exactly what has happened with 1800hotels... So thats not certain... I cannot afford to book hotel again, i need to get a refund and use that to pay for it!!! agh!!!

Any one else get advice or information from their CC company?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat here.... Have booked 9 days away and found this out! Booked about a month ago Rang the hotel and they said they have my booking/reservation but no money. Tried calling 1800 but to no avail... Called YouTravel in greece (i think?) and they didnt know much so i then eventually got through to their English office and was told tha 1800hotels have ceased and that i had to pay xxx amount to keep my booking. the amount works out to be 20e more than the original price. I have since found the hotel cheaper on a different website - 24hrshotel.com. We booked through a CC but they have said that they cant refund the money yet until they know exactly what has happened with 1800hotels... So thats not certain... I cannot afford to book hotel again, i need to get a refund and use that to pay for it!!! agh!!!

Any one else get advice or information from their CC company?

Thanks

Im not sure who your CC company is, mine is BOI. On Matt Coopers programme an advisor he had on said BOI are being the fairest. He advised to send in a copy of letter/email from hotel saying they have no booking for you and the details of what you have paid. I have put together a letter, an email from hotel and my hotel voucher received from 1800, I am going to send these in and see what happens!!!! Like you I need the refund to book a new hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

I'm concerned too about CC refunds. I understood from B of I Mastercard that money would be refunded once it was definitely shown to be bankrupt. In recent hours tho' a lot of stuff popping up about cc companies giving diff stories. Has anyone got any solid info about whether BofI Mastercard likely to refund.? Any Bankers out there? Anyone previous experience of this? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newgirl1981

hi everyone
    am in the same boat as most people, found out a few hours ago.
    had nearly all of my accommadation in florida and bahamas booked (and paid for) - going next week.
    rang the 3 hotels i had booked,1 of them said it had been cancelled on the 7th July - a full week ago - and i got no word from 1800 sooo mad!

2 of them said that my bookings are fine and that they are paid for, i'm just worried that 1800 will cancel them a couple of days before i go and ill have to pay again at the hotel. if they're going to do this i'd much rather know now so that I can book online and get better rates...anyone any advice?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭collegegal

me too.. I booked my hotel for New York in August. I cannot get confirmation from the hotel and I have no contact details for GTA, can anyone help me out on that part? I am really disappointed by this news, it is my first holiday this year and was delighted I got such a good deal. Too good to be true eh! Also, I paid with my BOI Mastercard, does anyone know the details or procedure I have to take to get my money back?

Any advice greatly appreciated

http://www.gta-travel.com/ here are contact details for GTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ash10

Hi guys,

My ma and da and little bro and sis were due to fly to malaga on August 25th. They tried ringing the hotel and they said the date was 2 far away to know what the situation is for them. However, then rang this youtravel crowd and the woman told me that they have the room confirmed etc etc etc, but they need payment, although they have their 1800 vouchers to show its all fully paid for, youtravel have not received the payment from 1800hotels. Shower of *******!!!! Doing all i can to help them by phoning up different places etc etc, feel so bad because myself and my boyfriend are going on holidays ourselves soon but through travel agent so are safe. My ma and da are down 1400 in all between hotel and flights. Been onto are lingus and flights cannot be refunded because they were booked low fare, bummer! Flights were about 700. I know its possible to sell flight tickets and just change names etc etc but id love 2 be able to help my folks out, anybody know of any good hotel sites i could maybe book something for them as a surprise!?!? I wouldnt do it if i thought they cud get their money back, but they booked with a laser card, so they are out a few hundred quid! Anyone know any reasonable sites!?!?

Sorry for the big long post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 griffinj

Hiya it such a nightmare, i have to pay the full amount again to you travel and hopefully claim my original money back on cc but need liquidators letters.

You should try Alpharooms, booking.com, laterooms.com, travelrepublic.ie there are lots more you can find online too :)

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

jamser89 wrote: »
    http://www.gta-travel.com/ here are contact details for GTA

But which is the correct address to send an email to? I sent one to the general 'enquiries' address in their London office and got back a reply saying that it was na unmanned email address and to contact their office to get the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

graham peakin .. an unusual name .. he had to undercut to gain share .. spend loads on advertising (remember the radio adds) and expanded to fast.... very poor judgment ...and the chances of anyone taking over the company now is practically zero as the brand is ruined...he could have flogged it 6 months ago for millions but the volcanic ash and over zealous expansion to gain market share was his downfall...

it was kinda cool to see the 5 or so windows that opened up on trip advisor to include an Irish company

very sad and this demise will make it all the more difficult for any new entrant to smash the 4 or so big players who dominate the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ebooger

This mess is one great big ponzi scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jmsack

Hi am booked to Club praia da rocha for 19th, July, have a confirmation email, (receipt), it doesnt have a payable by on it, it just has paid, and the amount , who should I contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jmsack

Does anyone have a contact for Tourico? I've been searching their website to no avail. Seems to only have business contacts.
    What happens if your confirmation doesnt have any payable on it, mine just says paid and the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Will be putting in for a chargeback now as soon as i get an email from hotel confirming no booking. I am confident enough they will have no record of a booking as only booked tuesday night and wednesday morning they went bust.

With that will start the chargeback process. It seems BOI are being fair about it by sounds of other posts and i am with them so hopefully all is smooth.

My other hotel i booked was cheaper and looks nicer so still looking forward to the trip.

I feel sorry for people who turned up with no room for them there. Also for people who paid with laser as they will most likely not see their money again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bellaspella

jmsack wrote: »
    What happens if your confirmation doesnt have any payable on it, mine just says paid and the amount
    My booking is the same....it just says monies paid, the amount and then 'PAID' underneath the amount...I rang the hotel in NY, they said that my booking is currently active, but to check with the agency that I booked though. I told them that I don't have an agency on the confirmation and she didn't know what to do...just told me to try to contact 1800hotels and to keep calling the hotel back....sorry...not much help.
    Has anyone else experienced the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 griffinj

jmsack wrote: »
    Hi am booked to Club praia da rocha for 19th, July, have a confirmation email, (receipt), it doesnt have a payable by on it, it just has paid, and the amount , who should I contact

hi my booking was for club praia da rocha too and mine was payable by you travel, maybe if you contact them they could help i reckon it would have been them that paid your hotel :)

you will find them at youtravel.com

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lauralou1

Hi

Can anyone shed any light on You Travel....ie whether it is safe to go ahead and rebook with them or not? My CC company (BOI) have advised me to try and book directly with the hotel and not through You Travel. My room is still confirmed with hotel although not paid for yet and I am worried that if I contact hotel directly You Travel may still cancel the room either way.

Any advise appreciated!!!

Advertisement