Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmackDown vs Raw 2011 Video Game thread

Options
  • 07-07-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭

WWE_SmackDown_vs_Raw_2011.jpg

Really looking forward to this. The release date is October 26th (my birthday!!)

The TLC match has been completely revamped with ladders being bent, broken table's staying on the ground and more unique moves being added to the match.

Clip of the game from E3

14 images available here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Can't wait for this. Hopefully story mode improves tenfold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

GM mode.. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

GM mode.. That is all
    What about it?

I liked the GM modes tbh. Like the football manager games but with wrestling :)

The GM mode from Smackdown vs Raw, was one of the best features of any Wrestling game ever.. They need to bring it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The GM mode from Smackdown vs Raw, was one of the best features of any Wrestling game ever.. They need to bring it back
    I hope they do... I stopped buying them when it went.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

WWE_SmackDown_vs_Raw_2011.jpg

Really looking forward to this. The release date is October 26th (my birthday!!)

The TLC match has been completely revamped with ladders being bent, broken table's staying on the ground and more unique moves being added to the match.

Clip of the game from E3

14 images available here

Gameplay wise that still looks bad. Irish whips into a ladder and then he slides along the ladder to bounce off the ropes, suplex that somehow knocks over the ladder like before etc.

With video games the mistake sequels usually make is not addressing previous issues with the past game and instead putting in new features with their own set of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

It's been confirmed by a THQ mod on ign.com that SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 will feature mini-trons in it for the 1st time.

That's awesome news. It'll def add a realism aspect to the game

Forgive my ignorance, what are minitrons?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, what are minitrons?

Mini-trons are located beneath and slightly to the right of the main titantron screen. For example, during Dolph Ziggler's entrance, his mini-tron contains his name in huge block letters, which flips and moves or Christian's, where the "Ch" flips/rotates around while the rest of his name stays the same.

Oh and Cody's is a mirror :)

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    Oh and Cody's is a mirror :)

Exactly. Hope to God Cody has his dashing gimmick for the game

Exactly. Hope to God Cody has his dashing gimmick for the game

Doubt it tbh, Wrestlemania is the cut off point for gimmick and music changes..

Doubt it tbh, Wrestlemania is the cut off point for gimmick and music changes..

I'm not sure it's Mania. I think for SvR 2010, it was Backlash. Anyway, you'll never know if they'll release it as DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I Guaran-damn-tee it, that in a few years, or next, whenever, THQ will unveil the newest mode to hit the SDvRaw series:
    "REVAMPED GM MODE!"
    Its ridiculous, every year they would make some improvement in a press release that went something like "The new ground breaking ****** match is now being brought into the SD series"
    Like i remember they brought in the tlc matches, the ladder matches, hell in a cell, chamber matches etc, and each one overshadowing the previous years "amazing installment".

And then THQ started repeating itself..
    THE TAG TEAM MATCH, the most DOMINATE match of all time.

So.... what, the other games never had tag matches?
    THQ: Yes, but this year we've made them BETTER!
    Me: *facepalm*.

Now its the case with the TLC match, its being revamped but honestly what does it mean, that you dont have only 4 different options of putting my opponent through a table?
    Now i have 8?
    Woooow!

But.. i probably will like this game and fork out the 45 quid or whatever it will be, because unlike the game modes, i do like the progression they seem to have with the road to wrestlemania as opposed to the dated "career" system.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Cover has been revealed:

smackrawps3_rupboxart_160w.jpg

Source: IGN
    Need an overview of what you're about to get into? Free-roaming backstage environments are back, you no longer have to earn your Create-A-Superstars attributes, Hell in a Cell has been revamped and includes weapons under the ring, and pretty much anything you're doing outside of the Road to WrestleMania storylines or online matches is taking place in "WWE Universe," a mode that wraps storylines, feuds and a programming schedule into one package that's always evolving and changing.

SmackDown vs. Raw fans are a hardcore lot, but if you're just jumping on the wrestling game wagon, the basics are that WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 is coming to a videogame system near you this October and packing the action and presentation you expect from WWE programming. It'll pack a more current roster of Superstars than SVR 2010 (of the 70-plus wrestlers, the Undertaker, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, The Miz, John Cena, Sheamus, Rey Mysterio, Jack Swagger, Triple H, Big Show, Evan Bourne, Christian, Edge, Bret Hart, Michelle McCool, and Eve are confirmed), gameplay improvements, and a whole bunch more.

With the noobs satisfied, let's get to brass tacks and geek out over what THQ is adding this time around. The biggest change -- at least in my eyes – is WWE Universe. Basically, this shoves everything you do in exhibition, all of the championships, all of the stables and rivalries system, and whatever else into one mode that's always active. When WWE Universe is on, it's going to give you an event – Raw, Superstars, SmackDown or a pay-per-view – and an event card. This isn't generated at random. This is a card based on the feuds and friendships that exist on your system as well as rankings. Now, if you don't like the matches, you're free to change them however you like – different people, different stipulations, etc. – and the game will react, remember, and craft the story around it.

It's career mode without having a career mode. It's a constant WWE at your fingertips where you can pull the strings (you still get to choose who are champs as well as who are friends and who are rivals if you want). If you don't like the look of a particular card, you can change it or sim past it to the next show, which leads into the next event, which leads into the PPV, and so on. When this is happening, the folks in the federation are building friendships and creating enemies. The game notices this and modifies the WWE relationships, and this then leads to one of 100 random cutscenes before, during and after your matches. This is stuff like your foe attacking you during your entrance, a match changing on the fly, and so on.

All of this actually matters, as well. There's a ranking system in WWE Universe that shows where certain Superstars stand in the federation. As you play – and keep in mind, you can play as whomever you want or as many people as you want – your character or characters start to move in the rankings and vie for number one contender spots and championships. You need to earn your ticket to the top… or at least jump in and edit it so that you're the champ.

WWE Universe is the career mode of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011. If you don't like it and you just want the traditional exhibition matches without the suggestions and presentation, you can turn the mode off by clicking the thumbstick at the main menu.

The cell is bigger than ever.
    Personally, I can't see why you'd want to turn the damn thing off – it looks awesome. Back in high school when I was salivating over the create-a-PPV options in the SmackDown series on the PSone, I had a notebook filled with matches and rivalries I wanted to play out. WWE Universe seems like it's going to let you do this, but it'll take care of the heavy lifting and make events and relationships happen as they need to. Instead of me commentating my own matches and making up stories for why things are going on in the squared circle, the game will do it for me. Plus, there's a layer presentation gloss that's top notch as it themes the menu screens around whatever the next show is and uses loading screens to promote the next PPV.

In the past, exhibition has been something I've passed up for the stories of Road to Wrestlemania and the thrill of online competition. With WWE SVR 11, I think I'm going to spend a lot of time in this federation that never ends and reacts around me. That sounds awesome.

That's not to say Road to WrestleMania is dead to me – quite the contrary. If you're just joining us, Road to WrestleMania is SVR's set-story portion of the series. Here, you choose one from a handful of Superstars, and live the lead-up to WrestleMania as that wrestler. In the past, this was a very linear experience where you'd get a cutscene, play a match, get a cutscene, play a match and so on.

That changes this year.

In WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011, you set out on a Superstar's life, but you live it like never before. Now, you wander the backstage area and interact with other Superstars. Mini-quests pop up, fights break out, you talk to the commissioner, and so on. If that kind of exploring isn't your thing, you can just walk to the story objective on your mini-map and keep the tale rolling – it's your choice. You need to make decisions about whom you align yourself with, too, and that will lead to different endings and story segments.

While all this is going on, you're earning Superstar points that you can trade-in for damage resistance or strike modifiers that make you a better competitor – THQ says that you need to be upgrading your Superstar because Road to WrestleMania gets harder the closer you get. When you're ready to walk out to your match or to cut your in-ring promo, you switch to a first-person view and walk into the gorilla position on the backstage side of the entrance.

If you're not a total wrestling geek, just know that this is awesome. Some the animations for the backstage stuff that I saw are a bit hokey at this point, but still; this sounds like a really cool addition.

Now, if you're wondering what the death of traditional career mode means to your created character, the news is only good. After a few years of having to create a Superstar and then grind through a career to get the guy or gal's stats out of the dumpster, THQ is giving you all the attribute points you want from the get go. Go ahead and whip up enough guys to fill the game's 50 spots, and you'll be able to give them whatever speed rating you want as you create them.

Need more reasons to get excited? Hell in a Cell has been revamped. Yes, after years of hearing fans bitch and moan about the cell walls being too close to the apron and there not being any weapons under the ring, THQ has listened and and put out the most realistic HIAC (Hell in a Cell) the world has ever seen. The structure is bigger than ever, the walls are far enough from the ring that steel steps are in there, and all the goodies you'd expect are behind the apron. Also cool: the door has been removed from the cell. The only way to get out now is to perform opponent-hurling moves into the wall closest to the announce table and barrel through the steel. Look for new moves from the top of the cell as well such as the Last Ride, superkicks and so on.

If I'm mentioning moves, now is as good a time as any to tell you that the game looks better than ever – both in terms of animations, move variety and visuals. The graphics are sharp, the images are clear, and the Havok physics make sure the animations look more realistic than ever. At E3, I wrote about how the new physics meant that table legs would give out and you'd be able to lean ladders on the ring apron to make stairs out of them. All of that's still here, but after a TLC match that went about 30-minutes and a number of other bouts, there's so much more to talk about.

THQ is trying to get away from that canned animation feel of the past. You know, "pull off a move and then just sit back and watch as it plays out." This year, there are more reversals than ever, there's a new move position in being able to sit an opponent on the top turnbuckle, and there are new nuances to master. Remember how dumb you looked in the past performing suplexes that ended in pins during first blood matches? Now, moves like a fisherman's suplex come with an option to pin. You start doing the move and a button prompt will pop up on the screen in case you want to hook the leg and hold for a three-count. In the same vein, the Tree of Woe isn't canned anymore. You hang your opponent by his or her legs from the top turnbuckle and can then do a variety of different grapples and strikes to the prone rival.

The strong grapple modifier is gone, too. If you want to pull off a big move from a grapple, you can't just hold down a shoulder button and flick the thumbstick anymore – you have to earn it by performing chain grapples via flicking the stick and pulling off preliminary moves. As you wear your opponent down, he or she is going to get groggy, and this is when you can flick the stick and grapple for big moves. Strike combos also return this year, and if you land a four-hit combo, expect the opponent to pop into that groggy state.

Still, the biggest change on the move front? Opponents don't have to be dazed for you to pull off a finisher. If you have your special move ready to go, you can just walk over, hit the button and go to town. Of course, the opponent can (and will) still reverse your move, but the days of chasing your friend around the ring in order to daze him in order to chokeslam him are gone.

Before I close this thing out, you also need to know that WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 is going to adopt the new THQ online plan. Similar to UFC Undisputed 2010, new copies of SVR 2011 will ship with a voucher code on the instruction manual that grants free access to online features as well as the first batch of downloadable talent and ring attire. If you buy the game used, rent it, or borrow a friend's copy without the code, you only get a seven-day trial period for the online features before having to pay $10 for the features.

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 is big. THQ's shoving so much into this game that there's literally too much to talk about right now. For the first time ever, you can change existing Superstar attribute points, the game automatically clips highlights from your match and plays them back after the bell so you can see if you want to save them, and wrestler names are on in-game belts. Last year, I was impressed by the TV-style presentation of SVR, and this year, I'm (preliminarily) impressed by how many seemingly small fan callouts have been addressed – stuff like being able to modify your Create-A-Finisher move speeds by one-percent increments rather than the previous 25-percent ones and the ability to whip up 130 finishers this time around.

We've still got a few months before WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 ships so I'm not that worried about the bit of wonky physics I saw in my TLC match or the long loads right before a cutscene played out in WWE Universe. What I saw looked and felt good, and I can't wait to sit down and play this one for hours on end.

Here Comes the Pain, you might finally have some serious competition for your title and its name is WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2011-20100817095010414-000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I was reading this earlier and was just like OH WOW the whole way through it. The new features sound really cool, especially the WWE Universe part of it - the way the game changes to suit the way you set up stats, rivalries, etc is one way to keep it fresh. The unlimites attributes for CAW's is very good, but has one downside - going online facing CAW's who are built up to 99.
    The HIAC matches look cool with the bigger cell and weapons under the ring.

The Road to Wrestlemania Storys this year are for Cena, Mysterio, Christian, Jericho, CAW and Vs. Undertaker (which i hope you can pick anyone t oend his streak).

Also i found a list of Trophies/Achievements on another site which are taken from a demo video. Most of them are Hidden Trophies but the ones that can be seen are:
    Caught Slipping
    Deafeat an opponent using flip flip counter pin
    Power Of the Punch
    KO an opponent using a stroing strike
    Backstage Fisticuffs
    During a backstage brawl string 3 environmental grapple in succession
    Talk About Resilient
    Kick Out of Undertaker's Tombstone Piledriver Finisher on Legend Difiiculty
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Pin Or Submit The Undertaker in the WrestleMania arena on legend difficulty
    Thank YOu Shawn
    Deafeat Shawn Michaels in the WrestleMania arena on legend difficulty
    THQ Storytellers
    Create A Story in Story Designer Mode
    Streak Breaker
    Complete the Vs. Undertaker RTWM
    Randy's Fired
    Complete John Cena's RTWM
    Runaway Champ
    Complete Jericho's RTWM
    5-Second Pose
    Complete Christian's RTWM
    No Mory Mystery, Yo
    Complete rey Mysterio's RTWM
    Champion of Champions
    Using a created character, hold the WWE...
    US Champ
    Using a chreated character, win the United States championship using a created character
    Intercontinental Champ
    Win the Intercontinental Championship in WWE Universe using a created character
    unified Tag Champs
    Win the Unified Tag Team titles in WWE Universe using a created character
    Mr. Money in The Bank
    Win the Money in The Bank match in WWE Universe using a created character
    A Successful Cash In
    Cash in Money In The Bank in WWE Universe and win using a created character
    A Student Of The Game
    Complete 50 % of the tips in the Practice Arena
    And like 20 or 30 hidden trophies... wow

It also looks like we will have a different cover over here (Europe) which shows Taker, Orton and Sheamus.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2011-20100816000623724.jpg

I wasn't too overly impressed or fussed about this game when they were pushing the whole tlc revamp, but after reading that, I may have to reconsider .

Looks promising.

Also the achievements look quite easy, again.
    But as long as there's a little fun while getting them I don't mind.

Im sold by the return of DLC which must mean Danielson and Nexus's apperances very soon after release, and tweeks to superstars new attire's such as Cenas purple one.. But the fact its taken THQ over 7 years to improve SVR on a Here Comes The Pain level is a bit sh*t really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'm slightly confused,is the new WWE universe thingy going to be somewhat akin to the old GM mode from a few years back or not?

• Advertisement

I'm slightly confused,is the new WWE universe thingy going to be somewhat akin to the old GM mode from a few years back or not?

Sounds more like an all inclusive feature than anything tbh, sounds pretty random really.. But then again it could be good, generally IGN build these new features up far too much and they generally are massive letdowns

As far as i can see, WWE Universe mode is a revamped version of the Career mode, but pretty much never ends. From IGN's description, it seems that when you start up the game, there will be 2 game modes - 'Road to Wrestlemania' and 'WWE Universe'. The Universe option contains everything from matches to rivalries to superstar attributes, etc. Instead of your normal Exhibition mode, the game creates match cards for RAW, SD!, Superstars and PPV's according to current champion, rivalries, stables, etc. and you cna concentrate on playing as one Superstar or as many as you want. And the cool thing is, if you edit stables/rivalries the game mode will recognise this and set up feuds accordingly. you can also edit the match cards as you see fit or just skip them entirely.

I think this sounds really cool and will keep the game playable for quiet a while. and if you dont like this mode, you can simply switch it off and just pick your own 'Exhibition Matches' as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I much prefer the european cover....g'wan big red!!

i just hope they have fixed the controls or let you alternate your controls, from 2007 on ( i think) the conrtrols are horrible and have taken away from the game imo)

Here's a link to 90 images of the game taken from Gamescom: http://picasaweb.google.com/114219898175924259927/Gamescom#

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if this has been posted but here's Sheamus discussing the game. Good interview actually:

I might get this game. Haven't bought one in a few years. I used to buy the Smackdown games annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The omega....commodore 64.....sensible soccer..... What a f* ckin legend!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Those games are crap IMHO. (It's an opinion, nobody get their panties in a twist). If I picked up SvR2005, it would be hard telling them apart.

I only buy MMA games.

Those games are crap IMHO. (It's an opinion, nobody get their panties in a twist). If I picked up SvR2005, it would be hard telling them apart.

I only buy MMA games.

90% of the roster being different might give it away.
    Maybe your better off with mma altogether.

• Advertisement

I only buy MMA games.

I dont like hip hop but i dont go onto the hip hop forum to let people know this.

Advertisement