Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line (Junkie & Wino Bus)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Screw free travel! Start a topic elsewhere. Getting back on topic....

Yesterday on one of my (not so frequent) travels on the Luas Red line, I was accosted on several ocassions for a "smoke", "change" and in one particular instance "57 cent" The "57 cent" merchant had a good scam going. Thats what he asked for on every ocassion. When he got it or more, he asked other people for the same amount along the lines of, "I just need 57 cent to buy a ticket. Thats all. Please. I'll say a prayer for you. Go on, its not much, I need to get home."

I let several trams pass just to watch this low life at work. Apart from the well appointed clothing that he wore, the smell off him was horrendous. A combination of crotch rot and alcohol. Drugs? I don't know. When he had harrassed enough people, he decided to get onto a tram. Once on board, he was texting furiously (obviously had credit or maybe he was on a bill pay account.:eek:) He stood in the doorway and ignored polite requests to move so other people could get on. At Heuston, he got off to join the crew that are supported (literally) by TVMs.

Dublin is a small city. I don't visit via public transport and foot that often. But yesterdays experience was punctuated by a series of Luas beggars at Heuston. Dope heads on board (both ways) and more beggars at Jervis, working through the crowd. Add to that the beggars on the Millennium bridge, those walking around Temple bar, literally crawling all over me outside a cafe and a more agressive type in Wicklow street and I have to say I'll be driving in future as a result of my short experience.

Interestingly, when I got home a GARDA called to my door to remind me about a fine I have for using a mobile while driving. So its nice to see that oul Ireland has its priorities right. Dublin is flooded with scumbags harrassing people, but Im a real criminal that warrants a Garda visit.

Oh well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The cost of public transport over here is ridiculous, and they do give out those free travel passes way too easily. I'm currently unemployed and basically save any trips to town only for job interviews

One of the immediate benefits available if the DSP Free Travel Pass were digitized would be the ability to offer Free Travel within specific time frames or area`s...so for example a true Jobseeker could have Free Travel available between 1000 and 1700 Mon to Fri as an aide to actually seeking a job or attending interviews.
    Basically, they should get rid of free passes altogether and just have reduced fares, I completely agree with you, it'd definitely eliminate a lot of the issues on public transport.

Rest_Energy has it fairly sorted,at this stage the Free Travel Scheme is limping along with the problems consequent upon its abuse becoming more visible by the day.....end it now and start afresh. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I felt like I was making a small difference on Saturday at abbey st Luas stop, a garda car pulled up and the ban garda moved on the two beggars that were there and as she was getting back into the car I pointed out a guy who had been dealing from his spot sitting at the 2euro shop window but who had moved across the street before the garda arrived. The ban garda went over and immediately cuffed him before stuffing him unceremoniously into the waiting patrol car:)

People at the stop seemed happy that someone had done this and hopefully will do similar themselves someday soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

If only we had heroes like this on our Luas to tackle the knackers/spongers/scumbags whatever you wish to call them ;)

Advertisement