Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line (Junkie & Wino Bus)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Nearly everyone carried a work I'd card pinned to them or around their necks but on red line the only work Id's are for Tesco or dunnes.
    So? I have nearly more respect for people from "deprived areas" who don't listen to the bullsh!t and go and work, be it in Dunnes, Tescos or PWC. I couldn't give a ah!t where they work, so long as they are not sponging off the state or harrassing people at Luas ticket machines. These "spaaaare change buuud" merchants are the problem, not decent people going to work in a supermarket.

I DO have a problem with career benefit thieves, wherever they may come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

murphaph wrote: »
    So? I have nearly more respect for people from "deprived areas" who don't listen to the bullsh!t and go and work, be it in Dunnes, Tescos or PWC. I couldn't give a ah!t where they work, so long as they are not sponging off the state or harrassing people at Luas ticket machines. These "spaaaare change buuud" merchants are the problem, not decent people going to work in a supermarket.

I DO have a problem with career benefit thieves, wherever they may come from.
    i didnt mean it to sound like that, what i meant was all the green line workers appeared to be blue/white collar while the red line workers are made up of lower paid general operative type workers, not that the work they do is any way less valuable or less important!

tatally agree about the carreer criminal benefit theives but there seems to be no real will in any department to sort this problem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

i didnt mean it to sound like that, what i meant was all the green line workers appeared to be blue/white collar while the red line workers are made up of lower paid general operative type workers, not that the work they do is any way less valuable or less important!

tatally agree about the carreer criminal benefit theives but there seems to be no real will in any department to sort this problem out.

The green line is a middle class line- ranelagh, dundrum ,milltown , sandyford etc.The Red line is a working-class line-fatima mansions, bluebell etc.Wouldn't have a go at people for where they work but the drug addicts on the red line don't make for good viewing if you're a tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

sleepyman wrote: »
    The green line is a middle class line- ranelagh, dundrum ,milltown , sandyford etc.The Red line is a working-class line.

Maybe this old 17th century English saying has a relevance to the above !!!

The law locks up the hapless felon
    who steals the goose from off the common,
    but lets the greater felon loose
    who steals the common from the goose.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

It would be easy enough to stamp out this sort of behaviour if Veolia and 'normal' LUAS users had the stomach for it. Is someone could organise a form of boycott of the Red Line Luas by non thuggish passengers I can guarantee you Veolia would start cleaning up the place overnight.
    It's a good idea, but why should people who actually work and pay taxes be forced to walk to and from work.

I think a much better action would be to have regular organsied "fare strikes", where every single passenger using the service refuses point blankly to purchase a ticket until the system is cleaned up of scum.

This happened a good bit in 2007 and 2008 on First Great Western's rail network in the UK when customers got pissed off with crowded and constantly late trains. I'm unsure about crowding but I do know that company is now one of the best in the UK in terms of punctuality:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/6269875.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7191053.stm

The protests were very well organised in Britain even fake tickets were printed. I say we print fake DFSA passes instead and wear as much Nike as possible, a six pack of Dutch Gold is optional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

sleepyman wrote: »
    The green line is a middle class line- ranelagh, dundrum ,milltown , sandyford etc.The Red line is a working-class line-fatima mansions, bluebell etc.Wouldn't have a go at people for where they work but the drug addicts on the red line don't make for good viewing if you're a tourist.

Funnily enough its the green line which has the most fare dodgers statistically... And I would believe that aswell, from using both luas lines regularly I do see more people caught on the green than on the red line,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Funnily enough its the green line which has the most fare dodgers statistically... And I would believe that aswell, from using both luas lines regularly I do see more people caught on the green than on the red line,

Nick
    The point (of this thread) is that a large minority of the "patrons" of the Red Line are endowed with a free travel pass, so don't need to buy tickets. The taxpayer foots the bill for their trips to and from the methadone clinic etc. and at the same time gets to endure their sh!t on the tram to work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The point (of this thread) is that a large minority of the "patrons" of the Red Line are endowed with a free travel pass, so don't need to buy tickets. The taxpayer foots the bill for their trips to and from the methadone clinic etc. and at the same time gets to endure their sh!t on the tram to work.

Well I have a free travel pass. I don't visit any methadone clinics either as im not addicted to heroin :rolleyes:... I have a relative who goes to a very ultra posh private school on the green line and admits that most of the students dont bother paying the luas fare and just hop off when they see inspectors, as I said I use both lines regularly and do see more people on the green line get busted for having no ticket...

Nick

I thought it was more about the beggars drunks and drug addicts that seem to be drawn like flies to sh1t to the red line city stops? REgardless of whether they pay a fare or how they pay they are a menace but just because most of them have travel passes should the majority of free travel pass holders be made suffer??

I thought it was more about the beggars drunks and drug addicts that seem to be drawn like flies to sh1t to the red line city stops? REgardless of whether they pay a fare or how they pay they are a menace but just because most of them have travel passes should the majority of free travel pass holders be made suffer??
    Sadly the free travel pass scheme is a joke. It doesn't exist here...if you're unemployed in Berlin you can buy a reduced price ticket, BUT you MUST still buy a ticket. People over 65 can BUY a reduced price ticket, but NO FREE PASS! This instills a sense of fairness amongst the likes of me, who must pay full fair (€72 a month).

I think Ireland should scrap the free travel pass and bring in reduced fares attached to a MODERN, non-transferable ID system. The free travel pass is being abused and forged all over the place and there's not a damn thing the operators can do about it: The Department of Social and Family Affairs and the Department of Transport together with the Department of Finance need to solve this issue, and it is a big issue.

I'm sure the likes of 'yoyo' wouldn't mind paying for a reduced price ticket, IF they knew the junkies and winos would be kicked off for not having one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I regularly travel on the red line, usually anywhere between the Point and Heuston Station, at all times of the day and night.

I suppose I've been lucky in that I've never experienced any hassle. I see the odd junkie, but they've never hassled me in any way, and I've certainly never seen anyone shooting up on the Luas! :eek: If I'm ever waiting at the Abbey Street or Busarus stops, I sometimes get people asking me for spare change etc, I just politely say no and they've never bothered me after that.

It depends on your level of sensitivity to these things I suppose ... the presence of junkies and winos in itself doesn't really bother me, as long as I don't feel my safety is being threatened.
    3. On the Luas, things got a whole lot worse. I got a seat, and in the four seats on the opposite side sat a tracksuited couple french kissing (her dentalware resembled a rusty broken fence), and one of the two seat opposite sat a large hold all belonging to the male tracksuit. The window seat was free. An old lady soon walked up the carriage and saw the vacant seat. She made eye contact directly with these two, looked at the bag and then at the vacant seat, and then looked back at the two. Neither had the decency to move the bag as the lady was intimating in order to her sit down. The old lady took the initiative and moved the bag herself, at which point the mail track suit called her something foul and utterly unrepeatable. He then threatened her with what he would do to her if she touched the bag again. The lady never opened her mouth and remained dignified throughout, only to get off at the next stop. A few lads and I made eye contact with each other and I could see that all of us wanted to give this scroat a piece of our minds. I got off at James and left this disgraceful pair to themselves.
    Shamwari it's a pity that you had so many bad experiences the one day you used the Luas. However just to comment on this: touching someone else's property isn't clever at the best of times. For the woman to move the bag of, by the sounds of it, two very obvious scumbags was just pure stupidity. I'm not saying she deserved what she got, but come on, she could have at least asked them to move it instead of picking it up herself.

Also, it's a pity none of the other passengers present would offer her their seat, thus avoiding the whole incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

For the woman to move the bag of, by the sounds of it, two very obvious scumbags was just pure stupidity. I'm not saying she deserved what she got, but come on, she could have at least asked them to move it instead of picking it up herself.

There we have it so,we as a people will usually veer back to find-an-excuse mode,which will always tend to favour the miscreant rather than the person who simply wishes the system to be functional.

As murphaph might notice if one is on German public transport and a similar situation arises one will hear the term "Excuse Me" repeated quite often as people move about and take seats etc.....In Ireland it`ll usually be "I`m Sorry".......that little difference of terminology encompasses a huge amount of behavioural attitude difference !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Sadly the free travel pass scheme is a joke. It doesn't exist here...if you're unemployed in Berlin you can buy a reduced price ticket, BUT you MUST still buy a ticket. People over 65 can BUY a reduced price ticket, but NO FREE PASS! This instills a sense of fairness amongst the likes of me, who must pay full fair (€72 a month).

I think Ireland should scrap the free travel pass and bring in reduced fares attached to a MODERN, non-transferable ID system. The free travel pass is being abused and forged all over the place and there's not a damn thing the operators can do about it: The Department of Social and Family Affairs and the Department of Transport together with the Department of Finance need to solve this issue, and it is a big issue.

I'm sure the likes of 'yoyo' wouldn't mind paying for a reduced price ticket, IF they knew the junkies and winos would be kicked off for not having one.
    in fairness it is easy talk about abolishing the free travel pass when you are in another country but there are so many people here that rely on it to get to the "local" town or even to the local shops to just remove it would surely be madness! it is not limited to the city of dublin where most of the scumbags are.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    There we have it so,we as a people will usually veer back to find-an-excuse mode,which will always tend to favour the miscreant rather than the person who simply wishes the system to be functional.

Do you think that she was right to do what she did? Would you appreciate another passenger picking up your bag while on public transport? I certainly wouldn't.

She did not deserve the abuse that was thrown at her at all, but come on, you have to respect other peoples' personal property.

I'm just saying that a bit of common sense on her part could have avoided the whole incident.

Do you think that she was right to do what she did? Would you appreciate another passenger picking up your bag while on public transport? I certainly wouldn't.

Absolutely!,the lady was dead-on 100% right in her approach.

It is after all a Seat,available and intended for passengers to Sit on.
    I regularly use the PA system to remind pasengers on busy journeys that seats are NOT for storing luggage and that other passengers may well appreciate the use of them....It does`nt go down at all well with a certain grouping...but I get enough Thank-You`s to prove to me that it WORKS.

In the case outlined by Shamwari,being on Luas means No driver or official to instruct our man to remove his luggage so it fell to the passenger herself.

If this bag wielding fellow was concerned about his baggage being touched...then he should have taken care not to place it on a seat- Fullest of Stops.

Not for the first time does this little vigniette illustrate that great gulf betwen ourselves and the remainder of the civilised Public Transport world......."The Greater Good" vs "The absolute entitlement of the Individual".

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It is after all a Seat,available and intended for passengers to Sit on.

I absolutely agree with this.

My point is that she could have simply asked him to move it. Instead of taking it upon herself to do it herself without even speaking to him. I often have my handbag on the seat beside me and wouldn't have the slightest problem with moving it if asked to do so (if there weren't many seats available I'd pick it up anyways to free up the seat, but that's irrelevant.) However if a random passenger decided to pick up my handbag and put it on the floor, I'd find it completely inappropriate and would be very annoyed about it.

There is a huge difference between asking someone to move their property and doing it yourself.

the property should not have been blocking the seat to begin with and there was nothing to say it actually belonged to the person sitting opposite it, i would simply move it off the seat onto the floor and let the other person worry about it there!

I absolutely agree with this.

My point is that she could have simply asked him to move it. Instead of taking it upon herself to do it herself without even speaking to him. I often have my handbag on the seat beside me and wouldn't have the slightest problem with moving it if asked to do so (if there weren't many seats available I'd pick it up anyways to free up the seat, but that's irrelevant.) However if a random passenger decided to pick up my handbag and put it on the floor, I'd find it completely inappropriate and would be very annoyed about it.

There is a huge difference between asking someone to move their property and doing it yourself.
    If someone looked at you and the seat as if to say "I'd like to sit down where your bag is", would you ignore their body language and wait for an oral request, or would you move your bag? I assume the latter, but the scummer ignored the lady's body language request to remove his bag.

in fairness it is easy talk about abolishing the free travel pass when you are in another country but there are so many people here that rely on it to get to the "local" town or even to the local shops to just remove it would surely be madness! it is not limited to the city of dublin where most of the scumbags are.
    I lived in Ireland for 30 years, so I think I can still comment on things there ;)

I am not suggesting that free travel pass holders should pay full fare, but they should pay SOMETHING so that they respect the service being provided to them and don't take it for granted. It will also ensure that scumbags, winos and junkies will have to either buy a ticket (unlikely) or travel black and risk the fine, which will at least give Veolia etc. the right to eject them from the tram and give them a standard fare penalty. The present situation is untenable really.

I lived in Ireland for 30 years, so I think I can still comment on things there ;)

I am not suggesting that free travel pass holders should pay full fare, but they should pay SOMETHING so that they respect the service being provided to them and don't take it for granted. It will also ensure that scumbags, winos and junkies will have to either buy a ticket (unlikely) or travel black and risk the fine, which will at least give Veolia etc. the right to eject them from the tram and give them a standard fare penalty. The present situation is untenable really.
    they do respect the services which they avail of but a very small percentage of users of public transport are scumbags. these scumbags need to be locked up!

there is also a small percentage of users with free travel who are casualties of road accidents assaults etc who have brain damage and behave in the way they do because of this, so lets lock them up in a hospital behind the 12foot high walls of yesteryear?? no i say give them all a "companion" pass that entitles them to travel only when accompanied by a responsible fare paying adult.

• Advertisement

All very true Murphaph,and something which is for sure going to collapse the entire Free Travel Scheme if not addressed pronto.

Foggy_Lad posted :
    In fairness it is easy talk about abolishing the free travel pass when you are in another country but there are so many people here that rely on it to get to the "local" town or even to the local shops to just remove it would surely be madness! it is not limited to the city of dublin where most of the scumbags are.

I have little doubt but Murphaph`s opinions are coloured by his country of residence and by his observations of a working efficient public transport system as opposed to a functional "it`ll do" one.

What difference is there between an elderly German,Dutch or Belgian person and an Irish one ?

There are plenty of Rural German areas with elderly people who "depend" on Public Transport also and whose entitlement to a concession is most likely funded by the Local Taxation paid in their State.

I would also speculate that the German concession holder will actually be aware that somebody is paying for their journey whereas that concept rarely impinges on the Irish physche where it appears the Bus Pass Fairy lives in the Dept of Social Protection`s Sligo offices.

As it currently stands none of the relevant agencies,to my knowledge,has a definitive figure for currently valid Free Travel Scheme passes.

The last figure I saw was a guesstimate given to a Dail Committee hearing when a Civil Servant put a figure of circa 600,000 Free Travel Passes in circulation.

If true,that is an apocalyptic amount of people whose Public Transport usage is paid for by somebody else.

As I have explained before,the Northern Irish Authorities were sufficently compos mentis to shy away from accepting the "Bit of Cardboard" and insisted on our over 66`s accquiring one of their Northern Irish Senior SmartPass cards.....the major difference in attitude being a reluctance on the Northern Irish part to accept estimates,if`s,but`s and maybe`s as opposed to real-time verifiable information on each and every use of their concession pass.

I suppose the dead giveaway is the word concession which immediately gives one an idea of how they view the service they provide...

Oooops Sorry...gone way OT at this stage...now where were we exactly..??????? ;)

600,000 free passes in circulation? wow! I figured maybe 100,000 tops. Clearly if this estimate (why don't they know for sure??) is any way accurate there is widescale abuse of this scheme going on, and that's with genuine passes (God knows how many forged ones exist, but it's such a sh!tty piece of paper any 15 year old could knock one up on his computer).

There must be a lot of dead pass holders who miraculously still use public transport. Ireland is sucha disjointed mess: it's time to start figuring out who is in receipt of what, where they live etc. etc. I was always against an ID card like the continentals, but now I'm firmly in favour of one being introduced. Hopefully our hand will be forced by the brits, but that's unlikely under a Tory governmnent (if Britain ever joined Schengen, we would have to also or face border checkpoints again).

We could press ahead with a national ID card though, linked to being registered at a particular address etc. Just like in Germany: it's illegal to move house and not register your new address within 7 days. People feel safer, as they know it's easier to find criminals and other miscreants. I am registered here and don't feel it impinges on my "civil liberties", quite the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

As I said earlier, if the pass was replaced by a e-tag then the amount of money needed for subvention would go down,

600,000 free passes in circulation? wow! I figured maybe 100,000 tops. Clearly if this estimate (why don't they know for sure??) is any way accurate there is widescale abuse of this scheme going on, and that's with genuine passes (God knows how many forged ones exist, but it's such a sh!tty piece of paper any 15 year old could knock one up on his computer).

There must be a lot of dead pass holders who miraculously still use public transport. Ireland is sucha disjointed mess: it's time to start figuring out who is in receipt of what, where they live etc. etc. I was always against an ID card like the continentals, but now I'm firmly in favour of one being introduced. Hopefully our hand will be forced by the brits, but that's unlikely under a Tory governmnent (if Britain ever joined Schengen, we would have to also or face border checkpoints again).

We could press ahead with a national ID card though, linked to being registered at a particular address etc. Just like in Germany: it's illegal to move house and not register your new address within 7 days. People feel safer, as they know it's easier to find criminals and other miscreants. I am registered here and don't feel it impinges on my "civil liberties", quite the contrary.
    i totally agree that something must be done about the fraudulant use of the free travel system and the thousands and thousands of forged/copied passes in circulation but we are forgetting one simple answer to this which is to simply insist on the pass holder having either a current valid drivers licence or passport as proof of identity which will render duplicate passes useless, and then a fraud line to sligo that bus and train drivers/inspectors can ring to confirm a pass is valid and not a forgery.

after this then it can be up to the department of social wastefulness protection to issue proper passes in the form of a smart card maybe rather than some civil war type bit of paper. it is just another example of how backwards ireland is.

i totally agree that something must be done about the fraudulant use of the free travel system and the thousands and thousands of forged/copied passes in circulation but we are forgetting one simple answer to this which is to simply insist on the pass holder having either a current valid drivers licence or passport as proof of identity which will render duplicate passes useless, and then a fraud line to sligo that bus and train drivers/inspectors can ring to confirm a pass is valid and not a forgery.

after this then it can be up to the department of social wastefulness protection to issue proper passes in the form of a smart card maybe rather than some civil war type bit of paper. it is just another example of how backwards ireland is.
    Our Monopoly money type driving licences are just as easy to forge tbh. Mine gets a good going over when I rent cars with it...can't wait till it expires and I can exchange it for a German one which actually has such advanced features as being made of plastic and having a hologram on it and won't look like I made it myself (mine's almost 10 years old and has been in my wallet all that time, so looks pretty tatty).

The free travel pass should be phased out and be replaced with a smart card with photo ID, holograms and signature printed on it. Not all operators can currently scan smart cards, but merely replacing it with something not made of paper and with a smattering of security features would be a huge leap forward. A specific offence of using a forged travel pass should be on the statute books with fixed penalties, including imprisonment for a second offence. It is fraud on a massive scale and must be costing the state (ie, ordinary taxpayers!) a bloody fortune.

Seriously though, making people pay a nominal fee for use of public transport, rather than providing it completely free of charge would eliminate a massive amount of the forgeries as people would still need to pay something.

making people pay something is ok untill you get out into the sticks where older people are living in old houses that cost a fortune to heat and they just cant afford the cost of the bus into town on pension day, why penalise the genuine benefactors of the scheme just because the state fails for so long to manage it properly? remember also this is a free travel scheme for all sorts of genuine people in society including those with severe physical and mental incapacity and the elderly that have been paying into this all their lives, as well as those that feign illness to get "put on the pension" or buy a pass in the local or get a friend to order a duplicate pass for them.
    3.2 ELIGIBILITY FOR FREE TRAVEL?

To avail of Free Travel, a person must first apply for a Free Travel Pass from this Department. The applicant will qualify, if s/he is living permanently in the State (i.e. on an all-year-round basis) and is aged 66 or over.

If the applicant is under age 66, in addition to permanently residing in the State, s/he must satisfy any of the conditions below;

1. be a recipient of one of the following payments;
    - Invalidity Pension
    - Blind Person's Pension
    - Disability Allowance ( DA)
    - Carer's Allowance (you may get a single status pass only, if you are aged under 66)
    - Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation Supplement with Disablement Pension, for at least 12 months
    - a Social Security Invalidity/Incapacity Pension/Benefit, or an equivalent payment, for at least 12 months, from a country covered by EC Regulations*, or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral Social Security Agreement*
    2. Live in Health Service Executive approved residential care and has previously received either Disability Allowance (from this Department) or Disabled Person's Maintenance Allowance ( DPMA - from a Health Service Executive) or would staisfy the medical conditions and means test for Disability Allowance
    3. Be a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from this Department (you may get a single status pass only, if you are under age 66)
    4. s/he is blind or severely visually impaired and you satisfy the medical conditions for a Blind Pension.
    5. be a widowed person aged between 60 and 65 years inclusive, whose late spouse held a Free Travel Pass from this Department, and who prior to his/her death, resided with him/her on a permanent basis, and who is now receiving one of the following payments and who satisfies the other conditions of the scheme;
    - State Pension (Transition), (payable at age 65)
    - Widow(er)'s Contributory or Non-Contributory Pension
    - Widow(er)'s Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefits Scheme
    - One-Parent-Family Payment
    - Widow's or Widower's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme
    - An equivalent Social Security Pension/Benefit from a country covered by EC Regulations, or from a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement
    - an ORDINARY Garda Widow's Pension from the Department of Justice.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/freetravel.aspx#3
    3.9 EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY

Whenever a person is travelling using their Free Travel Pass, s/he must produce their Pass for inspection to an Inspector of the Transport Operator or to an Official of the Department of Social Protection, if asked. If considered necessary, the Pass Holder and/or his/her accompanying spouse/partner must also produce evidence of their identity by providing a sample of signature to the officials mentioned above. These officials have the authority to confiscate a Free Travel Pass if there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that the Pass is being misused.

If a passholder lives in Dublin, Cork city, Galway city, Limerick city or Waterford city, they are also required to produce a Free Travel Photo ID, which can be obtained from CIE, free of charge.
    3.10 WHAT TO DO IF THE FREE TRAVEL PASS IS LOST?

If a Free Travel pass is lost or stolen, the Pass Holder should complete form FT27 in order to apply for a replacement Free Travel Pass. This form is available on request from the Department's Free Travel Section.
    so to prove my identity i must sign my name or make my mark! how backward is that in 2010??

at hte end of it all the luasd is operated by veolia and it is their responsibility to police it and they have a duty of care to their passengers so it is surely up to them to keep the platforms and trams free from these scumbag junkie beggars and winos?

why are we even discussing taking the pass from those that need it most to cater for veolias refusal to act on a serious issue on their own doorstep? the idea of someone who is blind or severely mentally or physically disabled having to root around for 50cent to use the luas or a bus or train is abhorrant!

making people pay something is ok untill you get out into the sticks where older people are living in old houses that cost a fortune to heat and they just cant afford the cost of the bus into town on pension day, why penalise the genuine benefactors of the scheme just because the state fails for so long to manage it properly? remember also this is a free travel scheme for all sorts of genuine people in society including those with severe physical and mental incapacity and the elderly that have been paying into this all their lives, as well as those that feign illness to get "put on the pension" or buy a pass in the local or get a friend to order a duplicate pass for them.
    To be honest, if an elderly person insists on living in a house in the countryside, miles from services in an innefficient house then they will have to endure the consequences. They could sell up and move into a more modest place, nearer to town. It's a side issue for the sake of this thread though, most misuse of the travel pass is amongst people under 66 as they automatically get them, regardless of means (a bit stupid in itself).

Unemployed should have to pay a reduced fare to use public transport. I guarantee you that alone will get a LOT of the undesirables off the tram as junkes won't pay for the use of it. This will allow Veolia to throw them off for having no tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Unemployed should have to pay a reduced fare to use public transport. I guarantee you that alone will get a LOT of the undesirables off the tram as junkes won't pay for the use of it. This will allow Veolia to throw them off for having no tickets.

The cost of public transport over here is ridiculous, and they do give out those free travel passes way too easily. I'm currently unemployed and basically save any trips to town only for job interviews - it costs me over a fiver to get there and back and money's really tight, and it annoys me no end when I'm on the LUAS that usually the scum that are causing hassle have those free passes, especially when chances are they're not doing anything to find employment and probably have more money than I do!

Basically, they should get rid of free passes altogether and just have reduced fares, I completely agree with you, it'd definitely eliminate a lot of the issues on public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

While I have serious problems with free travel, I agree that this is hardly the thread to discuss it.

Advertisement