Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban smoking in public places?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 michael222

Well the suggestion is for a ban in public areas so smoking in your home would be fine, in the eyes of the law lets say. I 100% disagree with subjecting children to an atmosphere filled with smoke. I never like that idea, but I think that is something that would be difficult to implement. A ban on smoking around young children. Would it be something for social services maybe? I don't know.

I know smoking has been around for thousands of years, if not more, but that should not be the reason why we cannot change now. You know?

Plenty of things were the norm thousands of years ago, which have changed in the last 100, or less even.

I don't know what you mean by the following:

"And please dont be putting down the comments you make, you have a valid point here, thats why + and - always come together at some point in time, to trash out the rights and wrongs. "

I see but thats the whole issue to ban in a public place is that they way to go, this will only push people in doors, so you know what the outcome will be there. The kids will get more of parents smoking around them.

Would you like to see that happen??.

Because thats what would happen. Making changes to the human race and habits takes a long time and with the net today and easy living for some, why change anything.

The mistakes where made a long time ago when Industry came about. Thats where everything went all wrong, smoking is just a small factor, thats in a bigger picture off life today.

"And please dont be putting down the comments you make, you have a valid point here, thats why + and - always come together at some point in time, to trash out the rights and wrongs. "
    [/QUOTE]

Just a reference to the pdf file download, you where putting this down before anyone made any comments on this.

Thanks

Michael

Sorry members I have to go to the labber now but will pick this up in the morning

Thanks for a interesting evening and a great topic well worth the reading and posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I honestly did not see any reasons or links only; "smoking outside does not cause harm".

What's boyles law?

It's Junior Cert Science - Boyle's law says that gas expands to fill a volume that it occupies. When you smoke, the smoke expands to fill the room and stays in the room, and other people breathe it. When you smoke outside, the gases quickly expand to fill an effectively infinite space - the atmosphere. They don't hang around long enough for people to breathe them.
    Does it not infringe? Does it not cause problems? You will find that nobody, including smokers, enjoy taking a gulp of air from another persons exhaled breath which is smoke.

There are plenty of things I don't enjoy that I don't wish to see banned. I don't like the smell of lynx - it's unnecessary and I find it really unpleasant. However, in the western world we are generally free within limits to do what we want as long as it doesn't harm other people. Everything else is common courtesy and common sense.

Got a link? I have, will show you later in the post ;)

I can't find a public link for the full paper, here's a rundown
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070522114813.htm

They found cotinine in the cafe workers.
    What is with this "smoke doesn't effect you outside", is there some sort of magical barrier surrounding you outside? Why do people believe this?
    Yes, the atmosphere.

You know that laws don't normally make outright bans on things, they are gradual. This is mainly because people do not like change, when change is gradual people accept it more. Was it proposed in 2004?

I don't see the relevance of this. They made a new law about smoking on public health grounds. It only affected indoor areas - if there were any grounds for making it an outdoor ban, it would have been done. The idea that laws gradually ban things is known as a "slipper slope" and a common logical fallacy. You might be thinking of tobacco denormalisation, which is separate from legislation.

You, nor anybody else here, cannot disprove what I have said. :) Lots of "smoke rage" going on in this thread though.
    See my first response - there is no proof that outdoor smoking causes demonstrable harm for short term exposure. This is how science works.
    The alternative is not even nearly as feasible. Driving to the shop 100 yards away in most cases = stupid and/or lazy.

Lazy use of cars is not essential, and causes harm. By your logic, it should be banned.
    It's quite difficult to compare two nations on most things. Just because it is not enforceable in one country, does not mean it should not be tried here. They obviously made a complete balls of it if they can't even enforce it in one building, you know?

Can you tell me what is different in Ireland that would mean it would work here? The Czech Republic is a very similar country.
    Without the fines and the imprisonment, do you think people would do as they do now? Will a fine have any effect? I know not to park in certain areas as I will get fined. I don't litter because it's disgusting, but subconciously I am aware that I might get a fine too. Smoking is banned in Tokyo on some streets. That's outside ;) They also have designated smoking areas. Classic, something I mentioned earlier and was laughed at. If you want to compare countries, then I give you Japan :P Follow how they implement it, enforce it and carry out punishments and away ya go.

Have you been to Tokyo? The street bans are totally unenforced! I can't believe you used that as an example. Absolutely everybody smokes in Japan, even in taxis. One of my friends started smoking there after two weeks. The smoking rooms are for keeping smokers warm, not off the streets. You should try reading the wiki article on smoking in Japan, since you linked to it!

This one is also good:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans#Japa

You just linked to ASH - that's like Godwin's law in a smoking thread. They are a propaganda machine, as you know. That PDF has been ripped to shreds here before. Please link to something reputable, this would be like me linking to a tobacco company or even another boards poster. ASH are not an authority.

Just try to read any of the articles they cite - the first three don't even match up to the paragraphs they contain. For starters, note that ASH refer to health hazards that take years to develop when discussing exposures measured in milliseconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

I don't really like the idea of banning anything so I chose no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I chose no.. think its a bit silly banning it in public. People should just try to be respectful and no problems then!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Have you been to Tokyo? The street bans are totally unenforced! I can't believe you used that as an example. Absolutely everybody smokes in Japan, even in taxis. One of my friends started smoking there after two weeks. The smoking rooms are for keeping smokers warm, not off the streets. You should try reading the wiki article on smoking in Japan, since you linked to it!

This one is also good:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans#Japan

I have and didn't see a single person smoking in the streets for the 2 weeks I was there. Only time I ever saw people smoking was in the designated areas along the streets, and in smoking areas in restaurants and the likes.

Of course, I know that such a system probably wouldn't work here, but I can't stand getting a puff of smoke blown in my face as I walk by someone, or walking out college doors and being reduced to a fit of coughing because of a cloud of smoke from students and staff. Banning public smoking altogether would be impractical, virtually impossible and simply overkill.

I wish there was something that could be done to curb the gripes of non-smokers like myself, but really, there's nothing in my opinion, and I've made my peace with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Morbo the Annihilator

Zillah wrote: »
    Clearly reasonable debate is not working. I shall try fight fire with fire
    FIRE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! :mad:

GOODNIGHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Death to non-smokers!

Wait, we're probably gonna die sooner?

*cough*

Nah, it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As an over weight smoker there is nothing I hate more than skinny fit people showing off at train station and bus stop ,
    Be able to stand there for minutes at a time :eek: breathing normal [cnuts] ,
    How dare they come out it public showing off their working lungs , They should be lock in their gyms where they belong and ban from all public places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I know smoking has been around for thousands of years,
    In Europe smoking (of tobacco at any rate) has only been around for hundreds of years. In Ireland its been around (to a sizeable degree) for less than 150 years
    Perhaps we could agree that, as in Japan, people should raise consciousness of being courteous about smoking without the threat of fines and imprisonment?

World peace would be nice as well..........
    When you smoke outside, the gases quickly expand to fill an effectively infinite space - the atmosphere. They don't hang around long enough for people to breathe them.
    If what youre saying was correct chemical warfare would be almost totally ineffective and pointless.
    Absolutely everybody smokes in Japan,
    I was lead to believe that if a woman smokes in Japan people tend to assume she is a prostitute
    You just linked to ASH - that's like Godwin's law in a smoking thread. They are a propaganda machine, as you know.
    The old "you have an agenda" line ? Must try harder................................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I was lead to believe that if a woman smokes in Japan people tend to assume she is a prostitute

This is true for a lot of Asia (India especially).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I dislike the sight of fat people. Can we make sure that they stay in their homes?

I'm sick and tired of this idiotic argument. Can people not see how smoking and weight gain are not analogous?

Smoking is harmful to people around you, eating, isn't.

When some idiot is smoking around their children, the children have no choice BUT to inhale the second hand smoke. Now while the kids of people who over-eat MAY end up with bad eating habits by example, it's not like a tenth of every calorie they consume automatically goes to their kids.

Seriously, I don't know what's worse, that people make these brain dead arguments or that other idiots "thank" them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What exactly are you talking about? I appretiate the free psychoanalysis, but what has this got to do with smoking in public places? While you are at it, you can tell me what the "other issues" happen to be, as I am unaware of them. A little off the mark there Nodin, to say the least. Wouldn't expect any less from you though ...

See? Getting angrier and angrier with each post, the replies on topic getting shorter and more clipped......

As to what your "other issues" are, I wouldn't know. I merely see the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Memnoch wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of this idiotic argument. Can people not see how smoking and weight gain are not analogous?

Smoking is harmful to people around you, eating, isn't.

The health risk of a wisp of second hand smoke being inhaled in the open area is negligible; that is the issue under discussion here. We are not discussing smoking in enclosed or partially enclosed environments.

The health risk of the increasing normalcy of obesity is very very significant.

So if anything, the genuine health risk lies in allowing fat people to promote the normalcy of their lifestyle choice by wearing skimpy outfits or just walking around generally.

As the 'health risk' is an entire non-issue, all you are left with is the 'dislike' of the sight and smells of people smoking. Many people dislike the sight of people gorging on fast food in public, or indeed of fat people. That is where the analogy lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

drkpower wrote: »
    The health risk of a wisp of second hand smoke being inhaled in the open area is negligible; that is the issue under discussion here. We are not discussing smoking in enclosed or partially enclosed environments.

So if anything, the genuine health risk lies in allowing fat people to promote the normalcy of their lifestyle choice by wearing skimpy outfits or just walking around generally.

As the 'health risk' is an entire non-issue, all you are left with is the 'dislike' of the sight and smells of people smoking. Many people dislike the sight of people gorging on fast food in public, or indeed of fat people. That is where the analogy lies.

Fair point, but the "fat analogy" isn't restricted to people outside. It seems to be used whenever the issue of smoking is brought up.

Besides, a more appropriate analogy would be if someone came and farted in your face. Since we are talking about unpleasant smells. Why won't people defend my right to fart in other people's faces in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

positron wrote: »
    As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc,

Any thoughts?

Im a smoker and i dislike the sight of non smokers.. can i ban that too?

Trying to ban or place restrictions on others based purely on your opinion is whats wrong with this country. The law at the moment is more than adequet as it caters for non somkers sufficently.

If you want a law to remove smokers from your line of sight i suggest you stay at home in an oxygen tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

michael222 wrote: »
    I see but thats the whole issue to ban in a public place is that they way to go, this will only push people in doors, so you know what the outcome will be there. The kids will get more of parents smoking around them.

Would you like to see that happen??.

Because thats what would happen. Making changes to the human race and habits takes a long time and with the net today and easy living for some, why change anything.

The mistakes where made a long time ago when Industry came about. Thats where everything went all wrong, smoking is just a small factor, thats in a bigger picture off life today.

Just a reference to the pdf file download, you where putting this down before anyone made any comments on this.

Thanks

Michael

Sorry members I have to go to the labber now but will pick this up in the morning

Thanks for a interesting evening and a great topic well worth the reading and posting.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't force people inside, just onto private property. Also, if this were to come into play then it would only be fair that places be designated for smoking.

I was putting it down as I am here long enough that people will discredit your links before even reading them, as it does not suit their agenda ;) With simple research and studies right in front of us, people still harp on about how it doesn't effect us. There has been two links already which people suggested otherwise but you will see some people below determined to keep going on about how it's not harmful with no evidence to back it up.
    It's Junior Cert Science - Boyle's law says that gas expands to fill a volume that it occupies. When you smoke, the smoke expands to fill the room and stays in the room, and other people breathe it. When you smoke outside, the gases quickly expand to fill an effectively infinite space - the atmosphere. They don't hang around long enough for people to breathe them.

The JC was quite some time ago, i'm hardly going to remember that ;)

Does boyles law state that gases don't hang around long enough for people to breath them? No, it doesn't, because that would be a crazy assumption. People do breath them in, simply put.

There are plenty of things I don't enjoy that I don't wish to see banned. I don't like the smell of lynx - it's unnecessary and I find it really unpleasant. However, in the western world we are generally free within limits to do what we want as long as it doesn't harm other people. Everything else is common courtesy and common sense.

Serious lack of common sense and common courtesy obviously. Smoking harms other people. Simply put. I find it hard to believe you dislike lynx, do you prefer BO? Or is it just the brand lynx? Or all deoderants?

I can't find a public link for the full paper, here's a rundown
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070522114813.htm

They found cotinine in the cafe workers.

Thanks for supporting my argument.

I had another link from sciencedaily.com but didn't think it would have been taken seriously.

Yes, the atmosphere.

How does the atmosphere protect me from smoke? If you are smoking beside me, it doesn't.

I don't see the relevance of this. They made a new law about smoking on public health grounds. It only affected indoor areas - if there were any grounds for making it an outdoor ban, it would have been done. The idea that laws gradually ban things is known as a "slipper slope" and a common logical fallacy. You might be thinking of tobacco denormalisation, which is separate from legislation.

Of course you don't, it doesn't support your argument.

If any amount of alcohol impairs your judgement and ability to drive, surely as soon as they found out about this they would have banned drinking outright? Oh, no they didn't, it has been a gradual banning of drink driving since day one. It's down to 20mg now.

There's a reason why bans are not implimented immediately and outright. Come on, think about it, it's not that difficult, or do you want me to explain it to you?

See my first response - there is no proof that outdoor smoking causes demonstrable harm for short term exposure. This is how science works.

Your own link suggests otherwise, also I linked you something, but that's not good enough, is it?

Lazy use of cars is not essential, and causes harm. By your logic, it should be banned.

How do you set the bar? How do you differentiate between a lazy driver and a non lazy driver? Now that's impossible.

Can you tell me what is different in Ireland that would mean it would work here? The Czech Republic is a very similar country.

By your logic we should never try anything another country fails. Why? Czech Republic is a VERY similar country? Regardless, of how similar you may think the two countries are, how does that mean it won't work here? Explain that one please. I am interested in your reasoning of this.

Have you been to Tokyo? Anyway, another poster debunked this part of your argument.

You just linked to ASH - that's like Godwin's law in a smoking thread. They are a propaganda machine, as you know. That PDF has been ripped to shreds here before. Please link to something reputable, this would be like me linking to a tobacco company or even another boards poster. ASH are not an authority.

Just try to read any of the articles they cite - the first three don't even match up to the paragraphs they contain. For starters, note that ASH refer to health hazards that take years to develop when discussing exposures measured in milliseconds.

Miliseconds does not equate to 30 minutes, which is what they have talked about. Unfortunately, lying about something that is in writing before us is not very wise. Each point is referenced, that's good enough for me, but it doesn't suit your argument so I can see why you don't agree with the paper.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In Europe smoking (of tobacco at any rate) has only been around for hundreds of years. In Ireland its been around (to and sizeable degree) for less than 150 years

From the google search I found that it has been in England since 1550 or there abouts. Can safely say that it was in Ireland not too long after that.

There have been some links already which prove you are wrong. Do try read the thread. Your whole argument is null and void.

I was unaware that being obese was "normal" and accepted. I think you will find that it is not and that there is much awareness about it. Again, how do obese people directly effect the health of others around them? They don't.

That a crap analogy. Can you not see how bad it is? The health risk is very much an issue, but don't let facts get in the way of your argument. We'll just brush the health issues aside to strenghten our argument... lol.

snyper wrote: »
    Im a smoker and i dislike the sight of non smokers.. can i ban that too?

Trying to ban or place restrictions on others based purely on your opinion is whats wrong with this country. The law at the moment is more than adequet as it caters for non somkers sufficently.

If you want a law to remove smokers from your line of sight i suggest you stay at home in an oxygen tent

That would be the typical response from a smoker. ;)

That would be the typical response from a smoker. ;)

im only smoking 2 years, and while i agree they are vile things and will kill me if i continue, we as a society cant be ran by a nanny state either

im only smoking 2 years, and while i agree they are vile things and will kill me if i continue, we as a society cant be ran by a nanny state either

Why did you take it up???

I dislike the idea of a nanny state as much as the next person, but there are certain rules and laws needed to protect other people. Protecting yourself from yourself is one thing, but protecting non smokers surely is not considered nanny state antics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

There have been some links already which prove you are wrong. Do try read the thread. Your whole argument is null and void..

You didnt even read or cant understand your links. They refer to a period of 30 minutes of exposure. What type of exposure in the open air might be relevent here?

Being able to google and being able to apply what you find to any given situation are two very different things; this ability to analyse and understand are two things that employers are looking for. Take note before its too late.
    I was unaware that being obese was "normal" and accepted. I think you will find that it is not and that there is much awareness about it. Again, how do obese people directly effect the health of others around them? They don't. .

If you dont think that obesity is becoming more normal and more accepted, its just another sign of your lack of awareness. The growing accepteance/normalcy of obesity is a major public health risk. If you worked in any health-related area, you might understand that. But you dont, do you.....?

• Advertisement

Why did you take it up???

Stupidity

I dislike the idea of a nanny state as much as the next person, but there are certain rules and laws needed to protect other people. Protecting yourself from yourself is one thing, but protecting non smokers surely is not considered nanny state antics?

True. but smoking at outdoor locations that happen to be public spaces where ther is no risk of passive smoking is where the nanny state laws start

Stupidity

True. but smoking at outdoor locations that happen to be public spaces where ther is no risk of passive smoking is where the nanny state laws start

Give em up if ya can. 2 years is not a long time.

Designated smoking areas, and I don't mean a 4" X 4" room either, but an area which smokers can go to for a few puffs. That's not a lot to ask for. That gets rid of the chance of a smoker sitting next to me and lighting up, unless I am in the designated area which is my own fault then.
    You didnt even read or cant understand your links. They refer to a period of 30 minutes of exposure. What type of exposure in the open air might be relevent here?

Think is it possible that 30 minutes out of your whole day you may be exposed to smoke? It's very possible. I read the links, you completely ignored them.
    Being able to google and being able to apply what you find to any given situation are two very different things; this ability to analyse and understand are two things that employers are looking for. Take note before its too late.

Wtf are you talking about?

If you dont think that obesity is becoming more normal and more accepted, its just another sign of your lack of awareness. The growing accepteance/normalcy of obesity is a major public health risk.

More people becomming obese does not equate to it becomming normal and accepted. It is neither. Obesity is a very recent problem, it will be quite some time before it is the norm. It's a major health risk, but a fatty in my vicinity won't effect my health will he/she?

If you worked in any health-related area, you might understand that. But you dont, do you.....?

Again, wtf are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Plenty of people have been summonsed to court for being drunk in a public place. I mean, what about their freedom? Surely it should be ok to be drunk in public? Again, we focus on the smokers' rights and not the rights of the non smoker. What about the non smokers? Should they not have the freedom to be free from second hand smoke in public places? People should be able to wait at a bus stop without being hindered by smoke.

Smoking does hinder other people. That's the thing.

This is a complete non-sequitur. When people get drunk in public they often constitute a clear and immediate threat to themselves and to others. They fall out in fron of cars, urinate against buildings, shout and roar and intimidate, and they often attack bystanders. And you are comparing this behaviour to smoking a ciggie as one walks down the street. Typical hysterical nonsense from the puritans who wish to ban everything thich they themselves happen not to enjoy. Smoking in public DOES NOT pose a risk to third parties. It's that simple. Thus, unlike in pubs, there's no need to ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Non-smokers die every day.

Einhard wrote: »
    This is a complete non-sequitur. When people get drunk in public they often constitute a clear and immediate threat to themselves and to others. They fall out in fron of cars, urinate against buildings, shout and roar and intimidate, and they often attack bystanders. And you are comparing this behaviour to smoking a ciggie as one walks down the street. Typical hysterical nonsense from the puritans who wish to ban everything thich they themselves happen not to enjoy. Smoking in public DOES NOT pose a risk to third parties. It's that simple. Thus, unlike in pubs, there's no need to ban it.

Hi, read the thread, you are wrong. Also, you are making some wild assumptions.

That is all.
    Non-smokers die every day.

As do smokers? Don't see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

What a load of crap banning smoking outside there's plenty of space for you to move out of the way of smokers when your outside in bus shelters or train stations or anywhere else outside if i or anyone else wants to smoke and it ends up killing me what buisness is it of anyone else we'll all die sooner or later:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hi, read the thread, you are wrong. Also, you are making some wild assumptions.

That is all.

I am not wrong. Smoking on the street or in a public place poses a next to miniscule threat to the health of non-smokers, and definitely less than walking down a car clogged, fume laden street. Seriously, I don't like smoking, but I happen to be a reasonable person, and don't feel that I have the right to infringe on perfectly reasonable freedoms that others choose to exercise.

And assumptions about what? You're the one who compared drinking in public to smoking in public.

It's rather ironic that many of those who claim to be liberal are actually the most intolerant of what they deem unacceptable practices in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I didn't realise John Gormley posted on boards.
    Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Give em up if ya can. 2 years is not a long time.

Designated smoking areas, and I don't mean a 4" X 4" room either, but an area which smokers can go to for a few puffs. That's not a lot to ask for. That gets rid of the chance of a smoker sitting next to me and lighting up, unless I am in the designated area which is my own fault then.

Think is it possible that 30 minutes out of your whole day you may be exposed to smoke? It's very possible. I read the links, you completely ignored them.

Wtf are you talking about?

More people becomming obese does not equate to it becomming normal and accepted. It is neither. Obesity is a very recent problem, it will be quite some time before it is the norm. It's a major health risk, but a fatty in my vicinity won't effect my health will he/she?

Again, wtf are you talking about?

Nope, no anger there at all, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

owenc wrote: »
    Yes, i can't stick the smell of it and then my clothes get wrecked and i have to wash them and its especially annoying when you've only bought new clothes that are EXPENSIVE! Plus if we keep banning things eventually the smoking numbers will go down.

HowAre you being forced to stand in smoking areas? Why not try and learn some tolerance, I know its rare where you come from, but never fails to surprise just how quick some people are to seek bans.

Advertisement