Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban smoking in public places?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭positron

Gordon wrote: »
    I'm not, I'm giving my opinion on not wanting to see babies and their dirty side effects like noise pollution, nappy pollution and health pollution etc etc :D

Gordon, you were not just giving your opinion on babies, you were using that as an example of against smoking - did you forget? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Where did I say that?! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Goddamnyou Biggins.. I looked down at my rollie nd felt pretty stupid straight away.
    Then I continued to smoke and everything was ok again.
    Gawd bless the drug nicotine. Where would you be without it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

positron wrote: »
    As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them!

I dislike the smell of garlic and body odour. I dislike the sight of fat and ugly people. I dislike the sound of dance and house music.
    and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts!
    And the other half is from junk food. Right lets ban public eating.

And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

The most important step from banning religious public practise and actively discouraging religion would raise the national IQ. People would think more scientifically and live for today. People would have more money as they would'nt donate to churchs. They would also be more productive as they would'nt spend free time in churchs and praying.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to smokers, and probably tobacco industry might take another small hit (small as people will continue to smoke at their homes or whatever).

Any thoughts?

Banning religious, fat people, ugly people and dance music would be a win win for everyone, except the initial discomfort it might cause to all of the above and anyone else who goes again'st my personal tastes.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them, and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts! And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to smokers, and probably tobacco industry might take another small hit (small as people will continue to smoke at their homes or whatever).

Any thoughts?

Grow a pair and stop whinging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭BQQ

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Next you'll be saying that smokers should be put in camps so that they can concentrate on quitting.

Yes. We could name them by combining "camps" and "concentration" in some imaginative way.

And if the filthy smokers don't comply, then we'll march them to the showers and fill their lungs with toxic smoke. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

This is certainly a bit of a crazy idea.
    I don't smoke, but it doesn't bother me that other people do.

Way I figure it, the world in which we live in is fairly polluted anyway,
    someone smoking out in the open isn't going to be much worse for me than car exhausts and the chemicals factories are pumping into the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

So, it's banned in private/work/enclosed places.

You want it banned in public places?

So, smokers should only be allowed smoke in their own homes?

Retarded.

Smoking outside doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I don't smoke.
    Only if they don't have children. :P

BQQ wrote: »
    Yes. We could name them by combining "camps" and "concentration" in some imaginative way.

And if the filthy smokers don't comply, then we'll march them to the showers and fill their lungs with toxic smoke. :pac:

Bit harsh. What about tattooing a mark on their head and confining them to certain parts of the city first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Based on that premise, you couldn't really even smoke at home due to the risk imposed on your neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Anyone seen my mate Godwin ?
    Im told he was seen wandering around in here somewhere.........

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Anyone seen my mate Godwin ?
    Im told he was seen wandering around in here somewhere.........

Small dark haired fella with a little mustache...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Biggins wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I think it just looks daft that people are burning leaves and paper in front of their face/lips - and paying for this privilege be it in-doors, outdoors or anywhere. :pac:

It's even more daft when you see obese people queing up to buy fast food for themselves that will give them heart disease/diabetes etc and paying for the privilege be it indoors, outdoors or anywhere. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Which in turn means the Revenue will take a hit, which in turn will mean the Government will have to increase or introduce new taxes to make up the loss.

Taking into account that the tax take on a packet of 20 cigarettes is around €6, I really think it would be a 'lose-lose' for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Absolutely fine with me. And I am not arguing for taking away your freedom to smoke. My only concern would be that when you inflict cancer or a stroke, would you not ask my tax money to look after you? Well, you personally may have the funds to look after your illness, but vast majority of the smokers would expect others to foot the bill - so this is a small step to discouraging them, that's all.

I do have my own health insurance but if you follow that line of reasoning then anyone who drinks a bit too much, anyone who drives a car, anyone who plays sport or anyone who works in a dangerous job should pay for their own treatment.

There are risks to almost everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Which in turn means the Revenue will take a hit, which in turn will mean the Government will have to increase or introduce new taxes to make up the loss..

Unless the drop in tax revenue is offset by the drop in costs to the health/fire/street cleaning service resulting from smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Biggins wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I think it just looks daft that people are burning leaves and paper in front of their face/lips - and paying for this privilege be it in-doors, outdoors or anywhere. :pac:

Yeah, it's a bit like those people who stare at a box, tap buttons with their fingers and move something that looks like a long-tailed mouse around.

As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them, and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts! And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Any thoughts?

People are living too long these days. They're being incredibly selfish, Unless we can increase birth rates, we won't be able to financially support these selfish **** who think they have a right to live to 100. If you had any sense of civic responsibility, you'd adjust your lifestyle to to make sure you were dead by 70.

For the sake of your country, smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I cant stand smoking,but banning it from public places? Insane. Just avoid going where smokers are, they dont run after you with their cigarettes!!

Same time, there i nothing worse than sitting at a bus stop or something where somebody constantly blows smoke into your face! Pet hate. But thats just peoples lack of manners being the problem rather than the actual act of smoking in public places.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Unless the drop in tax revenue is offset by the drop in costs to the health/fire/street cleaning service resulting from smoking

In their lifetime the average smoker would pay between 70k to 90k more in tax than a non-smoker because of their tobacco purchases.

Btw I'm a non-smoker myself but I just think some people are going way over the top about smokers. Sure we've got the smoking inside public places ban, so theres no need to carry on otherwise it becomes a joke and like other people jest, next it will be ban smelly people or ban people who eat garlic etc etc. The list would be never ending.

• Advertisement

Azure_sky wrote: »

Banning religious, fat people, ugly people and dance music would be a win win for everyone, except the initial discomfort it might cause to all of the above and anyone else who goes again'st my personal tastes.:rolleyes:

What about people of colour and ginger haired people? And let's not forget the Jews. Oh and indie people and emos and.........

RichMc70 wrote: »
    In their lifetime the average smoker would pay between 70k to 90k more in tax than a non-smoker because of their tobacco purchases.

They also don't burden the state with the cost of keeping them alive for 30 years after they retire. Smoker die younger and it's very noble of them. They sacrifice themselves for the benefit of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

As an ex smoker I hate the smell of smoke when im enclosed somewhere like when the misses smokes in the car I have to have both front windows open.
    But to ban it in public is just taking the pi** to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

I have to also echo what some people are sayin here. People cant complain about smokers costing the government money in medical bills. They more than make up for it in tax on ciggarets and especially here in Ireland as I think a pack is around 8.50 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It's fine as it is.

Though maybe something can be done with gangs of smokers hanging around front doors.
    Our local hospital has one main entrance and that's where everyone goes, staff and patients to smoke.

It's like walking through a cloud, anything up to 15 people right beside the door many times.

Would it be that hard to set up a bench away from the front door?
    Maybe this is what the OP means

They were the muses for this song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I've said it a million lots of times but;

Remove the senseless restrictions on nicotine replacement products, make them as freely available as tobacco products and encourage people to switch over.

Of course win:win situations don't give you the same primitive satisfaction as a good old fashioned fight against something :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Right This is for the Anti Smoking "wrap me in cotton wool" bastards google Jeanne Calment!!!

She started smoking at 21 and gave up smoking at 117 and continued on living until she hit 122.

Now put that in your pipes and smoke it ye soft nanny state ****es!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes, i can't stick the smell of it and then my clothes get wrecked and i have to wash them and its especially annoying when you've only bought new clothes that are EXPENSIVE! Plus if we keep banning things eventually the smoking numbers will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

owenc wrote: »
    Yes, i can't stick the smell of it and then my clothes get wrecked and i have to wash them and its especially annoying when you've only bought new clothes that are EXPENSIVE! Plus if we keep banning things eventually the smoking numbers will go down.

Its really simple. Don't stand next to smokers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

that's really stupid. i'm in china at the moment, and people can smoke anywhere, and do, in lifts, even in hospitals. and on the whole health side, thank god people die from smoking, it's about the only thing killing people off enough, next world war will be because of overpopullation, because of lack of mortality rates in the young and longer life expectancy, just look at the problems facing japan at the moment. i know it's a kinda cynical way to look at it, but it's true. and people are getting healthy and stuff, smoking is nearly the one thing people do that is for themselves illogical but better for the race.

again, sorry for being cynical, just reading a book about your man

Advertisement