Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban smoking in public places?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭

As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them, and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts! And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to smokers, and probably tobacco industry might take another small hit (small as people will continue to smoke at their homes or whatever).

Any thoughts?

Ban smoking in public places? 330 votes

Yes, good idea!
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's fine as it is!
    36% 120 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    63% 210 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So, it's banned in private/work/enclosed places.

You want it banned in public places?

So, smokers should only be allowed smoke in their own homes?

Retarded.

Smoking outside doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I don't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Next you'll be saying that smokers should be put in camps so that they can concentrate on quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Litter? If the councels bothered to put bins at these places you might be able put your butt in but they dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I dislike the sight of fat people. Can we make sure that they stay in their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

To be honest, if it bothers you so much, don't cozy right up to them at the bus stop or train station. Banning them at enclosed public areas/work etc makes sense. Banning them outdoors is completely overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dunno if it would make much difference healthwise. We are into diminishing returns territory with this one

The litter point is a valid one but then by extension shouldnt chewing gum be banned/restricted too

Dont think its time for a ban yet but maybe some restrictions at train stations and bus stops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

positron wrote: »
    And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Fúck that nanny state crap, sure the sun causes skin cancer, should we ban people from going outside?

Its my life, if i want to choke myself smoking then i bloody well will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

So, it's banned in private/work/enclosed places.

You want it banned in public places?

So, smokers should only be allowed smoke in their own homes?

Retarded.

Smoking outside doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I don't smoke.

Even though I hate the smell of smoke too, I agree with this post. You can't ban it everywhere, bit stupid to be honest

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Dunno if it would make much difference healthwise. We are into diminishing returns territory with this one

The litter point is a valid one but then by extension shouldnt chewing gum be banned/restricted too

Dont think its time for a ban yet but maybe some restrictions at train stations and bus stops

What kind of restrictions would you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's fine as it is.

Though maybe something can be done with gangs of smokers hanging around front doors.
    Our local hospital has one main entrance and that's where everyone goes, staff and patients to smoke.

It's like walking through a cloud, anything up to 15 people right beside the door many times.

Would it be that hard to set up a bench away from the front door?
    Maybe this is what the OP means

• Advertisement

It's fine as it is.

Though maybe something can be done with gangs of smokers hanging around front doors.
    Our local hospital has one main entrance and that's where everyone goes, staff and patients to smoke.

It's like walking through a cloud, anything up to 15 people right beside the door many times.

Would it be that hard to set up a bench away from the front door?
    Maybe this is what the OP means

Thats not a bad idea. I wouldn't even be particularly opposed to banning them outside of hospitals. But I think it would make much more sense to set up a dedicated smoking area away from the main thoroughfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like smoking......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 music.babe75

Banning smoking in all public spaces would be stupid.

However, I'm a smoker and hate the way people huddle at the doors to pubs etc - its not fair on non-smokers going in and out - I always make sure I stand away from the door.

What does annoy me is say in Pearse Station in Dublin, the smokers only have a small bit of platform down at the end to smoke, now when non-smokers come down to stand beside you and then give out about the smoke its like, you have the whole rest of the platform to stand!!!!!

Likewise when nonsmokers are in beer gardens and give out about the smoke and say they can't sit out there - GO INSIDE - its smoke free!!!! We have to be outside hail rain or snow - you only want to come out on the one day the sun shines!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Slightly off topic but I think it just looks daft that people are burning leaves and paper in front of their face/lips - and paying for this privilege be it in-doors, outdoors or anywhere. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

But I thought smoking was cool?

Biggins wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I think it just looks daft that people are burning leaves and paper in front of their face/lips - and paying for this privilege be it in-doors, outdoors or anywhere. :pac:

It's called an addiction for a reason. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

So, it's banned in private/work/enclosed places. You want it banned in public places?

Yes, that's the gist of what I am suggesting alright.
    Litter? If the councels bothered to put bins at these places you might be able put your butt in but they dont bother.

A lot of smokers are blind to bins around them. Don't believe me? Go to any railway station around the country - I am yet to come across a platform that doesn't have a bin, and just look at the tracks to see how many butts you can count between each rail sleepers? On a sidenote, at Drogheda station, I have lost count the number of times I have seen the IrishRail workers flinging their cig butts on to the track - while they are just meters away from bins - in their own stations!! :D
    Mike 1972 wrote:

I don't have the figures but if you compare litter from chewing gum to litter from cigarette butts, we are talking tens of folds. So I don't think it apples. Also chewing gum is not (so far anyway :D) injurious to health.
    Mike 1972 wrote:

Yes. Banning smoking in public areas has been done in other countries in the world, and the results have been extremely positive so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_ban#Effects_on_health
    Several studies have documented health and economic benefits related to smoking bans. In the first 18 months after Pueblo, Colorado enacted a 2003 smoking ban, hospital admissions for heart attacks dropped by 27% while admissions in neighbouring towns without smoking bans showed no change. The decline in heart attacks was attributed to the smoking ban, which reduced exposure to secondhand smoke.[38] A similar study in Helena, Montana found a 40% reduction in heart attacks following the imposition of a smoking ban.[39] However, a larger and more recent study found that workplace bans in the USA are not associated with statistically significant short-term declines in mortality or hospital admissions for myocardial infarction or other diseases.[40]
    Fúck that nanny state crap, sure the sun causes skin cancer, should we ban people from going outside?

Going out in the sun and smoking are not comparable, and you know it. :)

I was only floating an idea, don't shoot me for that please! :) And like the link above, there are clear health benefits to it. And I am yet to see a valid negative point about this idea, other than the ones I stated, and the general paranoia stuff like 'nanny state' etc.

Again, just thinking out loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the existing ban covers this, its just not enforced by anyone, like employees smoking in employer vehicles etc.
    It supposed to 5-10 metres from and entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Improbable wrote: »
    What kind of restrictions would you have in mind?

A designated area at railway stations/platforms for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As a non-smoker I dislike the smell and the sight of people puffing away at bus shelters, railway stations etc, at times with no consideration for people around them, and then there's the litter - I read somewhere that more than half of all litter in our cities and towns are cigarette butts! And the most important benefit from any step to discourage smoking is it's effect on nations health - healthier, more productive people and less cancer, stroke cases to hospitals around the country - which is more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to smokers, and probably tobacco industry might take another small hit (small as people will continue to smoke at their homes or whatever).

Any thoughts?
    As a father of none I dislike the smell and sound of babies at bus stops, being pushed around shopping malls with complete disregard for other pedestrians in the vicinity, they make a lot of noise and I read somewhere that there is more rubbish from dirty nappies than there is from other rubbish! If there were less babies around then there would be less people off work tending to the babies, less people clogging up the hospitals with their babies hence more productive people and more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to people that want babies, and maybe the baby industry may make another small hit (small as people will still continue to have babies at their homes or whatever).

• Advertisement

Banning smoking in all public spaces would be stupid.

Why? I have listed reasons for why it's a good idea. No one has actually posted a good / valid reason to say why it's a bad idea..!!

Gordon wrote: »
    As a father of none I dislike the smell and sound of babies at bus stops, being pushed around shopping malls with complete disregard for other pedestrians in the vicinity, they make a lot of noise and I read somewhere that there is more rubbish from dirty nappies than there is from other rubbish! If there were less babies around then there would be less people off work tending to the babies, less people clogging up the hospitals with their babies hence more productive people and more money saved.

Based on the above it sounds like a win-win for everyone, except of course the initial discomfort to people that want babies, and maybe the baby industry may make another small hit (small as people will still continue to have babies at their homes or whatever).

Gordon, you know yourself that having babies with you is not remotely similar to deciding to light a cigarette. Non-argument really, and you know it! :)

Gordon, you know yourself that having babies with you is not remotely similar to deciding to light a cigarette. Non-argument really, and you know it! :)
    Hey, I'm giving you my opinion and floating an idea, don't shoot me for it! I just happen to think that babies should be kept inside away from society, that's all :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Improbable wrote: »
    It's called an addiction for a reason. :p
    True, true...
    If there had to be a practical reason for all the things we do, I would have to justify all the times I've whacked people. :o

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Its my life, if i want to choke myself smoking then i bloody well will.

Absolutely fine with me. And I am not arguing for taking away your freedom to smoke. My only concern would be that when you inflict cancer or a stroke, would you not ask my tax money to look after you? Well, you personally may have the funds to look after your illness, but vast majority of the smokers would expect others to foot the bill - so this is a small step to discouraging them, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Detest smoking and am fully behind it being banned in enclosed spaces but let them smoke outside, ffs.

Gordon wrote: »
    Hey, I'm giving you my opinion and floating an idea, don't shoot me for it! I just happen to think that babies should be kept inside away from society, that's all :)

Perfectly fine with me - and let your idea be judged on it's own merit by others. Why would you want to use that against the smoking ban idea then? :D

Absolutely fine with me. And I am not arguing for taking away your freedom to smoke. My only concern would be that when you inflict cancer or a stroke, would you not ask my tax money to look after you? Well, you personally may have the funds to look after your illness, but vast majority of the smokers would expect others to foot the bill - so this is a small step to discouraging them, that's all.

Would you also like to ban overeating? or how about just being even slightly overweight?

Perfectly fine with me - and let your idea be judged on it's own merit by others. Why would you want to use that against the smoking ban idea then? :D
    I'm not, I'm giving my opinion on not wanting to see babies and their dirty side effects like noise pollution, nappy pollution and health pollution etc etc :D

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

Goddamnyou Biggins.. I looked down at my rollie nd felt pretty stupid straight away.
    Then I continued to smoke and everything was ok again.

Advertisement