Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

bijou wrote: »
    Not been on here for a while......
    Bet you can't guess why :eek::eek:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2383047672.png

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What's your signal like? What dongle are you using mate? To be honest though ye have a case with comreg so ye could get out of contract if you play your cards right?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

What's your signal like? What dongle are you using mate? To be honest though ye have a case with comreg so ye could get out of contract if you play your cards right?

Well I'm out of contract now (on a rolling month to month with o2) so in theory yes I could "get out" but no other options where I am and believe me I've tried them all.

Eircom won't upgrade the line we had (pairgain) had many a "juicy" argument with them - so told them to stick it and take the line out!!

No LOS to nearest wireless provider (Lastmile or whatever they're called now).

NBS said was not eligible as could already get a signal from o2!!! Been on to comreg who said we have sufficient coverage in our area from various providers (even though I can only get a "signal" from o2) that they cannot (or will not) help and cannot do anything about the poor coverage from o2.

Vodafone/Meteor/3 no coverage.........

Could try Sat BB but neighbour has it and I had a look at it and it's as bad as my o2 connection!! However his company pays for his connection so he's happy to keep it - can't blame him really as he had o2 prior to Sat BB and his connection was worse than mine. Plus I don't fancy the cost of Sat BB and the restrictions that go with it.

Currently using an E270 (old one I know but have tried various others in the last 2 years or so to no avail - was even prepared to start a new contract with each of them but thought why should I when I'm getting the same sh1t!!).

Connected through an Edimax router. But even when I connect the dongle direct to the laptop it's just as bad so I know it's not the router. Signal strength I'm getting is usually showing wcdma between 1-2 bars.

Oh and the constant disconnections just wind me up - but according to o2 there's no problem!!! Just took me 40 minutes to upload this reply :rolleyes:

So there you go - between a rock and a hard place :mad:

(Think of a happy place..... Think of a happy place...... lmao 'cos otherwise I'd cry!!! :rolleyes:)

Well I'm out of contract now (on a rolling month to month with o2) so in theory yes I could "get out" but no other options where I am and believe me I've tried them all.

Eircom won't upgrade the line we had (pairgain) had many a "juicy" argument with them - so told them to stick it and take the line out!!

No LOS to nearest wireless provider (Lastmile or whatever they're called now).

NBS said was not eligible as could already get a signal from o2!!! Been on to comreg who said we have sufficient coverage in our area from various providers (even though I can only get a "signal" from o2) that they cannot (or will not) help and cannot do anything about the poor coverage from o2.

Vodafone/Meteor/3 no coverage.........

Could try Sat BB but neighbour has it and I had a look at it and it's as bad as my o2 connection!! However his company pays for his connection so he's happy to keep it - can't blame him really as he had o2 prior to Sat BB and his connection was worse than mine. Plus I don't fancy the cost of Sat BB and the restrictions that go with it.

Currently using an E270 (old one I know but have tried various others in the last 2 years or so to no avail - was even prepared to start a new contract with each of them but thought why should I when I'm getting the same sh1t!!).

Connected through an Edimax router. But even when I connect the dongle direct to the laptop it's just as bad so I know it's not the router. Signal strength I'm getting is usually showing wcdma between 1-2 bars.

Oh and the constant disconnections just wind me up - but according to o2 there's no problem!!! Just took me 40 minutes to upload this reply :rolleyes:

So there you go - between a rock and a hard place :mad:

(Think of a happy place..... Think of a happy place...... lmao 'cos otherwise I'd cry!!! :rolleyes:)

WCDMA is the worst protocol possible - its is basic 3.0g with a max throughput of 0.38mb (real download speed is always around 1/8) so your max speed on WCDMA is around 48kbps so until you can actually pick up a protocol like HSDPA/HSPA or HSPA+ you are always gonna have high ping and slow net

3g Protocol - Max Bandwidth (download only) = Max File Download Speed (with latency ranges) (figures are based on some basic math and experience)

WCDMA - 0.38mb = 48kbps (latency of 300ms plus)
    HSDPA - 3.6mb = 450kbps (latency between 165 to 270ms)
    HSPA - 7.2mb = 900kbps (latency between 40 to 100ms)
    HSPA(+) - 14.4mb or 21.6mb or 28mb (ye can get 42mb in sweden :P - Dual Carrier HSPA+) taking 14.4mb as an example = 1800kbps (latency of 30-100ms)

I currently have access to HSPA+ @ 28mb with real world speeds between 2-9mb depending on contention (am using three's new router :) )

2383550105.png

2383551425.png

NOTE: The above is theoretical max while real world usage of HSPA+ (been the most advanced 3g aka 3.75g) for example shows better performance and latency its still like all 3g connections - reliant of good constant signal and low contention

So with this info ye need to ask o2 to confirm what protocols are in use on the site that serves you and whether it is contended. Since your signal is weak your speed is already hampered but I suspect that the site is either too congested or too far away to receive any of the "higher protocols"

Speeds are not evenly distributed through a cell site range. The closer you are the more you get. It seems that WCDMA has the most range and then as you go up the list range lessens but contended sites range of all protocols shrink.

If ye can find out what your mast offers in terms of 3g protocols and also where its located in relation to you and also the direction of the sectors on the mast as well as contention levels maybe ye might get them to delve deeper and see what they can do :)

Decent SAT BB can have good upload and download speeds - problem though is latency for gaming and VOIP as well as crappy usage caps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Is that new router the Huawei B683!? When did they start stocking these fellas?

Was there a significant improvement in speeds with it or just an extra MB here n there?

-=al=- wrote: »
    Is that new router the Huawei B683!? When did they start stocking these fellas?

Was there a significant improvement in speeds with it or just an extra MB here n there?

The stock has been filtering in over the last 3 weeks...the website has been advertising them as well since then...

There is an major improvement in stable ping rates through the day and after 11pm due to decrease in contention my speeds can be consistently between 5-9 mb - lowest latency ive had is 26ms. Im still testing the connection and router out so the jury is still out but it certainly has been an improvement. It has a very good internal antenna so am loving the HSPA+ on 4 our 5 bars nearly constantly

Manually setting it just to scan and focus on 2100 mhz range has bumped me up a bar. The frequency will depend on what is allocated for your area but ye can test that out :)

For me the biggest thing is the decrease in latency and the increase in stability of the ping on HSPA+ the extra signal been picked up has made a difference. Upload speed for skype calls is very important to me and it has been excellent :)

2385630555.png

2385631424.png

2385638824.png

• Advertisement

Pretty cool! I'm sure I'll get one picked up at some stage when the B260a on the roof inevitably craps out with the mad weather but for now it's pretty consistent and quite stable

4caaeea788c5480093c1131.png

The latency is what I'd be after I can live with anything over 4Mb tbh

What are 3 charging for the new one!?

Not been able to get on at all last night or most of today....:mad:
    Have family over from the UK and they can't get over how diabolical the connection is. They're complaining that the 20mb speeds they're getting over there are slow :eek::eek:

Well tonight's speed is as follows::::

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2387255892.png

And with the Christmas coming, the kids (big & small lol) off, I dread to think how bad it's gonna be :rolleyes:

Pretty cool! I'm sure I'll get one picked up at some stage when the B260a on the roof inevitably craps out with the mad weather but for now it's pretty consistent and quite stable

4caaeea788c5480093c1131.png

The latency is what I'd be after I can live with anything over 4Mb tbh

What are 3 charging for the new one!?

10 euro for 18 months and 89 euro for 12 month contact i think..this can be verified on their website i think since i am recalling this from memory plus i picked up mine in a shop

Not been able to get on at all last night or most of today....:mad:
    Have family over from the UK and they can't get over how diabolical the connection is. They're complaining that the 20mb speeds they're getting over there are slow :eek::eek:

Well tonight's speed is as follows::::

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2387255892.png

And with the Christmas coming, the kids (big & small lol) off, I dread to think how bad it's gonna be :rolleyes:

Ireland is a joke for broadband penetration and quality - we are seriously lagging behind and the government thinks using midband in their stats improves things?? its a farce

Are 3 selling them separately without any plans!? The prices on the web are naff for that new Huawei router never mind finding a legit place for em!

Prob looking at the 120-140 mark for it I think the b260a is like 100 over the counter as far as I can remember... Until the one I use now goes bananas I'll pick it up then!

• Advertisement

Are 3 selling them separately without any plans!? The prices on the web are naff for that new Huawei router never mind finding a legit place for em!

Prob looking at the 120-140 mark for it I think the b260a is like 100 over the counter as far as I can remember... Until the one I use now goes bananas I'll pick it up then!

Ye can get them as pay as you go and the good news is i think they are unlocked as well but that needs verification :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

2387789889.png

Test just done on HSPA+ on Three network

Signal is full bars as always.. performance is a lil shakey today usually get 8Mb down and almost 4Mb up.

74295185.png

No ping server available for Dublin so i used Galway instead only one working right now.

Not been on here for a while......
    Bet you can't guess why :eek::eek:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2383047672.png

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's brutal speeds even for o2's mediocre network i struggled to get 0.20Mb with o2 most days some days i would get over 4Mb on download.

Too bad Three are not in your area cause when Three works it's performance has outdone any other provider i have been with to date and not just in my own area in others too,

I find that Meteor and O2's 3G signal is quite scarce in alot of the country i see more people on Vodafone and Three with 3G service on their dongles routers or phones.

2390002485.png

Slower in the day time as expected ;)

More o2 rubbish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/-1.png

:(:(:(

More o2 rubbish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/-1.png

:(:(:(

35721274979.png

You're right :pac:

Sorry I had to laugh at that :P

Doing speedtests on Christmas, what have I become

Well it seems the speed of a thousand gazelles at the minute so I couldn't help it...

getting close to a ping under 40

2392925579.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Christmas morning - I expected it to be bad

2393265586.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

2394070828.png

E586 suckered to an upstairs bedroom window, four devices connected.

I've always had great upload, regardless of the iffy download speed. Uploading at 400 kb/s is only occasionally useful to me, sadly..

That's actually a below par upload speed, I can usually list double that. Christmas Eve wasn't too bad, a torrent of the Mojang Minecraft film was coming down at about 300 kb/s, which was surprising.

• Advertisement

Christmas Contention eh - bah hum bug :P:P Ive had my signal halved but speeds are ok :D

2394174422.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

tbh I'm more than delighted to get any result with 3 at this time of night :D
    2394191296.png
    At least 0.01Mps shows up them up as being crap better than a test that times out :P

My B260a is stuck on WCDMA! it's been woeful for the last few hours tried reboots and all sorts and no avail

Anyone know some sort of fix it's been really annoying :/

My B260a is stuck on WCDMA! it's been woeful for the last few hours tried reboots and all sorts and no avail

Anyone know some sort of fix it's been really annoying :/

did ye try changing the frequencies to manual - suss out whether its 2100mhz or 900mhz and then connect once ye aquired the network? a manual scan can help but besides that im not sure what ye could do mate...:(

yeah manual connection wcdma prefered 2100 and 900... 900 does nothing and I've been resetting and trying all sorts of things, still stuck

5 bars of signal and was geting hspa no problems.. just seems to have changed and stuck on wcdma

annoying since i didn't change anything it just started this earlier

EDIT:

Well it decided to fix itself again out of nowhere after editing settings and countless reboots

Surely this is the mast I'm nearest taking the piss and surely a thing on meteor's end since I don't touch anything and it just comes and goes as it pleases it's really annoying... The weather gets worse and the connection gets better

Sorry I had to laugh at that :P

Hahaha.... :D

If I could keep at these figures I'd be more than happy :rolleyes:

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2398007339.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]2398007339.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Speeds not great tonight :mad:

2398189323.png

2398996991.png

has been faster than is expected over xmas.

2399003489.png

• Advertisement

2400322293.png

Terrible Just Terrible Tonight -.- :mad::mad:

Advertisement