Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hero 2.1 update available now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

it's almost 80mb from what i've read. stupid phone -__-

Yep, 78.something MB

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

what new apps are available?? live wallpapers dont work do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

it's almost 80mb from what i've read. stupid phone -__-
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yep, 78.something MB

Dang have to wait till I get home so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Spud83 wrote: »
    Anyone know how big the update is?
    80.1 MB. Just downloading it now.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Did a system update check on VillainROM, didnt find anything

ive been having boot problems on Villain lately, and im not using root really so i think im gonna roll back to 1.5 and download the update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bluefoam, I use ATK and my alarm went off no bother this morning. Might just be a small hiccup your phone experienced.

I like how in the stock SMS app it finally shows the time you've sent received a message for all of them, not just ones sent/received today.

They removed my favourite wallpaper though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did a system update check on VillainROM, didnt find anything

ive been having boot problems on Villain lately, and im not using root really so i think im gonna roll back to 1.5 and download the update

If you're using VillainRom, then your phone is rooted, and if you do this upgrade, then chances are that you're going to lose the ability to put custom versions of android on your phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

Did this update last night and im having lag problems, even tried a hard reset this morning. the lag is so bad that i have missed calls since people have hung up by the time my phone realised i had pressed the button. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a text to speech app for 2.1/the hero? Would be good if Swype had one as I use it anyway

If you're using VillainRom, then your phone is rooted, and if you do this upgrade, then chances are that you're going to lose the ability to put custom versions of android on your phone...

yeah i understood that but with the boot problems ive been having lately, it hasnt been worth being on custom rom. I'll leave it official and if the boot problems turn out to be hardware related im on an official release and hopefully shouldnt have problem with warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

So Far I love 2.1

the updated Google Talk/HTC Sense/Google Maps/HQ Youtube/Camera/Power Control, I can now install doubletwist, the bluetooth now connects to my car stereo, the 16 gig sd card I bought works now, I'm very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

stackeye wrote: »
    So Far I love 2.1

the updated Google Talk/HTC Sense/Google Maps/HQ Youtube/Camera/Power Control, I can now install doubletwist, the bluetooth now connects to my car stereo, the 16 gig sd card I bought works now, I'm very impressed

Have to agree, everything looks sharper and theres colour on the menu items now :rolleyes:

It seems to be eating more RAM though...normally when i start from a boot, I kill all running apps and would be left with 102Mb. Now when I do it, I'm down to 70-80Mb - not that its noticeable yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

dec2000 wrote: »
    Have to agree, everything looks sharper and theres colour on the menu items now :rolleyes:

It seems to be eating more RAM though...normally when i start from a boot, I kill all running apps and would be left with 102Mb. Now when I do it, I'm down to 70-80Mb - not that its noticeable yet...

Be careful with using a task killer with 2.1 - I've heard from numerous people that because of the way 2.1 works, not only are task managers NOT needed, but using them can actually cause damage to your SD card, by stopping apps when they are writing on to your SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Mhmm I might try to stop using it to see if anything improves, but based after startup yesterday - it was runing very slow with only 28Mb memory left. Killing all the tasks definitely helped the performance of the phone. Maybe I should give it a while for the internal task killer to kill the process.

Rollback to 1.5 - Check
    Upgrade via OTA - Check

I've resorted to official 2.1 to see if i can prolong my phones life

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Shzm wrote: »
    I'm using a Hero bought from Meteor but now on Vodafone and i've no update or anything, nor any option to manually update via the settings?

I also didn't get any 'pre-update' update. Do I need to do something?

Anyone? I feel like im missing out here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Try putting your date forward to like November or something. This can trigger the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I@m in the same boat ....

Settings ... About Phone .... Then there's nothing a about updates!

R28 wrote: »
    Be careful with using a task killer with 2.1 - I've heard from numerous people that because of the way 2.1 works, not only are task managers NOT needed, but using them can actually cause damage to your SD card, by stopping apps when they are writing on to your SD card.

Interestingly I found the interface a bit slower when I had the Taskiller widget open telling me how much memory I had. Removed it and things seemed bit quicker. Not sure why that would be, does it poll state or something?

Anywhoo I've seen the posts you are talking about, the word from Google and the makes of the Task managers themselves seems to be that it is unnecessary on 2.1, or on newer phones

http://androinica.com/2010/05/07/google-and-cyanogen-comments-imply-task-killermanager-apps-are-pointless/

Orlee wrote: »
    I@m in the same boat ....

Settings ... About Phone .... Then there's nothing a about updates!

unfortunately the check for updates button only comes after the preliminary update (there is a small update to prepare the phone for 2.1 which was released 2 weeks ago)

try the date trick, put your phone's clock forward by a few months. That worked for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Quick - possibly silly - question. I've just downloaded the update. It's now asking if I want to install the update but again warning about a 80 MB download (which would bring me periously close to the edge of my data plan). I presume it doesn't download *another* 80 MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Set the date to november, restarted and hey presto 'would you like to update?'

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

On 1.5 I told the phone to ignore the contacts on the SIM card. I've done this again for 2.1 in People, but when I use Smart Dial or look for people when sending a message I get the duplicates. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Cheers.

Other than that i'm liking the update, phone seems to be running smoother and the keypad entry is a lot better and more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Anyone having issues with phone internal memory since going to 2.1? I am now getting a warning that 'phone storage space is getting low' and get the impression from a quick google that this is a 2.1 issue. Anyone else see the same? Any solution?

Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

philidub wrote: »
    Hey,

Can anyone recommend a text to speech app for 2.1/the hero? Would be good if Swype had one as I use it anyway

I bump this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

Bluefoam wrote: »

I cant find the function to search by voice... Is this function available on the Hero?

Same for me. No Google Search By Voice. I tried to find it out from apps market. But no luck. Guess it is not available in Ireland. Sigh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Noticed since the update the wifi keeps disabling when going to lock screen? Very irriatating considering if I get a mail I wont get notified until I unlock the handset?

Have wifi sleep mode set to "never turn off" using spare parts app but made no difference.

Quick - possibly silly - question. I've just downloaded the update. It's now asking if I want to install the update but again warning about a 80 MB download (which would bring me periously close to the edge of my data plan). I presume it doesn't download *another* 80 MB?

It depends, did you download the first preliminary update?

To get the Hero ready for Android 2.1 HTC released a small update a few weeks ago.

The actual Android 2.1 update was released a 2 days ago.

If you haven't got either of them the first download and install was the preliminary update and the second big 80MB one is Android 2.1.

The first update was only a few kilobytes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kudo

Am i missing something. I'm on a meteor hero. I have no option of an update in the Settings/About Phone menu. I have tried putting the date forward to November and turned off and on the phone. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kudo

Scratch that. I changed my date to 2011 and it offered me the update in a couple of seconds of returning to the home screen.

Advertisement