Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hero 2.1 update available now!

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Check your phones!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cheers, downloading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hey, anyone know how we back up before we install update?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its been said 100 times already, but I'll say again - if your phone is rooted, then don't install this ROM or you lose root access.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

No its not rooted nor do I plan on rooting, just wondering how I back up phone before installing 2.1. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

philidub wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know how we back up before we install update?

By all accounts on other forums most (if not all) data remains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

All personal apps and settings are unchanged after update ....except for the loss of shortcuts

http://techfeen.com/android-2-1-for-htc-hero-europe-released/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I can confirm that I didn't lose anything after the upgrade. Contacts, SMS, ringtones etc all untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

anyone having trouble with the camera?

EDIT....just suddenly began working after 10 times trying to start it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Anyone else not getting any updates?

Ive tried changing the date a year ahead... but my phone just does not even try to check for updates or give any prompts about updates!

Anyone else not getting any updates?

Ive tried changing the date a year ahead... but my phone just does not even try to check for updates or give any prompts about updates!

Go into settings, and "about phone" (or something like that) and press the button for software updates (I am in the process of updating so can't check the exact process). You will be prompted to download the update

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Ive tried that but I dont have the option to download/check for updates.... Anybody have some ideas?

Ive tried that but I dont have the option to download/check for updates.... Anybody have some ideas?

Have you done the initial update that was required?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Only about 9 months late! I've already moved onto the HTC Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

I had to restart my phone before the update would download. Before that it was saying the phone was up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

I'm using a HTC Hero, Firmware version 1.5. I've been messing around with the sdk and I have no idea what I'm doing to be honest.

I have no option to update. What's going on? How do I get my 2.1 up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Downloaded the OTA 2.1 yesterday. I was impressed by the fact that it didn't wipe much information. All my contacts, sms, passwords, bookmarks were fine. I just needed to set up my home screens again.

The OS hasn't really changed that much. Some of the HTC widgets are different - I prefer some of the older ones. I'm not a big fan of the power control widget - I preferred the older individual switches.

I cant find the function to search by voice... Is this function available on the Hero?
    • Bluetooth can be a bit sticky - sometimes it won't turn on/off
    • I set the alarm this morning & it didn't go off - the clock in the top right had stopped although the main clock widget was showing the correct time
    • I also had a constant message that told me my my youtube account settings were incorrect - that would not go away. I think I have that sorted, but it nearly gave me a hernia

Google navigation is good, very useful if you have reception. Haven't figured out how to cache routes though.

YouTube is much improved,

Google Goggles is a good gimick - not sure how useful though.

The Market is a little better, but needs much improving.

Overall, its a novel update, but it doesn't offer a whole lot more. The major advantages are navigation and bluetooth file transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Go to settings, about phone and check for the update manually.

Just updating mine there now. Been using it more than my desire last week or so and kinda liking it again...

still annoyed we can't install to the SD card on the 2.1 (I know that is 2.2 functionality but the Hero will likely never get that)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The OS hasn't really changed that much. Some of the HTC widgets are different - I prefer some of the older ones. I'm not a big fan of the power control widget - I preferred the older individual switches.
    Try: [Add to Home][Widgets][Settings][Add Settings Widget].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Awwww man, I need me some Wi-Fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I'm using a Hero bought from Meteor but now on Vodafone and i've no update or anything, nor any option to manually update via the settings?

I also didn't get any 'pre-update' update. Do I need to do something?

Try: [Add to Home][Widgets][Settings][Add Settings Widget].
    Genius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Upgraded last nite, not played much but it does have the latest flash installed as able to watch Apres Match on the RTE Player now :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I got the initial update a few weeks ago, have the date forwarded on the phone. Cant get the new update at all. Any ideas?

I got the initial update a few weeks ago, have the date forwarded on the phone. Cant get the new update at all. Any ideas?

I wasn't auto promted to update mine. I ran the check (settings - about phone - check for update) and it found the update immediately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wasn't auto promted to update mine. I ran the check (settings - about phone - check for update) and it found the update immediately.

Yeah I done that. Says it's up to date (which it isnt), no updates available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anyone know how big the update is?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Bluefoam wrote: »
    [*]I set the alarm this morning & it didn't go off - the clock in the top right had stopped although the main clock widget was showing the correct time

If you use task killers this is a side effect. 2.1 is a big upgrade it allow you to download apps you couldn't before!

Spud83 wrote: »
    Anyone know how big the update is?

it's almost 80mb from what i've read. stupid phone -__-

• Advertisement

center15 wrote: »
    If you use task killers this is a side effect. 2.1 is a big upgrade it allow you to download apps you couldn't before!
    I don't use task killers. I'm hoping its a one off. I'll reboot a couple more times to bed in the new firmware.

Advertisement