Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

About the only thing you ever learned off for the show, marion.

Are you going to introduce this person on the ventilator or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Don't use words you don't understand.
    sounds like the troll is gone off to troll somewhere else or look for a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

What was in any way historic about yesterdays events? Plenty of 24 carat asswipes have been elected to the office of the US Presidency before.

Yep; we've had them before and the world rumbles on. You could say the system rewards ass4oles with the highest office in the land, but once in position, they are actually a bit limited in the damage they can do.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I thought Marian's interview with the mother and sister of the late Melissa Patterson was one of the best interviews she has done in a long time.

Such a tragic story but Carmel Cusack and Belinda Patterson told their story in their own words and in such a dignified way. It makes a pleasant change to hear from 'real' people. Unfortunately, Marian's show is usually overcrowded with guests who have had extensive media training or contributors whose only interest is in self promotion or using the national broadcaster to flog their wares.

Sean DonnelLan arrogantly trying to rewrite history ,Sunningdale was brought down by the ulster workers strike Alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

And how exactly can you say that "possibly the 53% of white women who voted for Donald Trump are having buyers remorse" now Marion. Is it because that is what you are observing, or is that the message that you would like everybody to hear?

These people would have had NO issue if Trump had women the popular vote but Hilary carried enough States to be President. Maybe setup a new movement .. "Women Against Democracy".

They're still talking about Hilary Clinton, how long will the grieving process last , may be six months ,then she'll be forgotten... forever.

Sean Donnelan likes to give this impression that he's some major player with a 'wink- wink don't tempt me and or I might tell you a sworn secret ' attitude , Instead of a diplomat from a rural back water of a country which he was at the time , remember Reagans visit at the time and the paddywhackery in Ballyporeen?

The public health services need to quarantine the studio this morning with the amount of coughing ,hacking ,wheezing and snorting going on ,Tom Mcgurk is really adding to Marion's usual cacophony of wheezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oops69 wrote: »
    The public health services need to quarantine the studio this morning with the amount of coughing ,hacking ,wheezing and snorting going on ,Tom Mcgurk is really adding to Marion's usual cacophony of wheezes.

And all this following poor Ivor Browne hacking his way through Meeeeriams prog.

Poor lad had a cold so not being judgemental, but Jaysus,wodious amount of hacking this am for sure.

Felt a bit guilty I wasn't hawking up gunk myself, had a few 'sympathy' hacks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sean Donnelan likes to give this impression that he's some major player with a 'wink- wink don't tempt me and or I might tell you a sworn secret ' attitude , Instead of a diplomat from a rural back water of a country which he was at the time , remember Reagans visit at the time and the paddywhackery in Ballyporeen?
    The highlight of that visit was when he effortlessly took the legs from under a heckling (what else would you expect?) Thomas McGiolla before he addressed the Dail.

Great stuff! Brendan O'Connor is in for Marian.

Oh dear, Mary Mitchell O'Connor :(

Alan Cantwell wasn't working for her for long.

C1B7Qt5WQAEhh5j.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/01/03/put-in-something-about-jobs-enterprise-and-innovation/

She seems like a bit of an unstable/ labile character...bit of a time bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More attacks on Trump

Very tiresome

More attacks on Trump

Very tiresome
    The ' academic ' from Trinity couldn't be more partial in his disdain for Trump , and they love pedalling out the ' narcissistic ' term as if it makes them sound intelligent , if TRINITY was worth it salt as a scientific institution he'd be in the provost's office on monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That Gate Theatre guy was hard to listen to, unbelievably pompous.

Jesus Tina Gates on now -professional fat woman....

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Marian sounding more throaty than usual today :pac:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That Gate Theatre guy was hard to listen to, unbelievably pompous.

Jesus Tina Gates on now -professional fat woman....
    His piece was nauseatingly pretentious , a real theatre 'luvvie' , or a 'national institution' to all the other RTE luvvies .

The fags are really catching up with her now, she escaped for so long.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought she was sounding a lot higher pitched than usual:pac:.

Give the gig to Brendan.

Marion lost interest in putting in a proper shift years ago. Half asleep, uninterested, unprepared, out of step and biased.

She got really lazy and really sloppy about 6 years ago. They should have shipped her out long ago.

Personally I think Anton Savage would be perfect for this slot. Far ahead of Brendan in range and style but I don't think there's much chance of it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

humberklog wrote: »
    I thought she was sounding a lot higher pitched than usual:pac:.

Give the gig to Brendan.

Marion lost interest in putting in a proper shift years ago. Half asleep, uninterested, unprepared, out of step and biased.

She got really lazy and really sloppy about 6 years ago. They should have shipped her out long ago.

Personally I think Anton Savage would be perfect for this slot. Far ahead of Brendan in range and style but I don't think there's much chance of it happening.

Oh Please NO :eek: I can't stand him ... they should give Brendan a chance to make his mark on it. He did a fine job this morning IMHO but a day or two here and there stand in is no good he needs a few months to put his own stamp on it. I think the whole show needs a good makeover at this stage & a new presenter too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Did I really hear some idiot claim that men lose weight faster than women because women are emotional and men are logical:eek: and knuckle dragger Beefy agreeing with him. What complete and utter rubbish.

Men lose weight faster than women because they have greater muscle mass than women and muscle burns more calories than fat. Its also why women survive starvation longer. Its a biological fact, not a personality based judgement. How could anyone expect to be taken seriously making statements like that, it was like Harry Enfields "women, know your place" :D
    and went completely unchallenged. Who was that guy? Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of physiology and nutrition should know this.

She [MMOC] seems like a bit of an unstable/ labile character...bit of a time bomb.

I'm sure Mary Mitchell O'Connor is well meaning but it's clear that she is completely out of her depth as a Minister. I honestly think that county/city council is her level. We heard a lot about her personal life this morning and her repeated pleads for people to give her a chance in the job but she doesn't inspire confidence. The interview was full of meaningless sound bytes. Most small business owners couldn't give a monkeys that she has a sign on her desk - reminding her to think/start small. I think Enda made a massive mistake moving Richard Bruton from Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, we need someone with experience in the role given the additional challenges BREXIT presents. Leo Varadkar may also have been a better candidate.

MMOC's adviser, Jim McGrath resigned about two weeks, I feel it looks bad to lose two advisors within a two month period. It gives the impression that she is challenging to work for or completely unmanageable.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mary-mitchell-o-connor-loses-another-adviser-1.2932830

She also mentioned her elderly parents being in hospital on a number of occasions throughout the interview and having to care for them and having to make difficult choices about nursing homes etc.. this is never easy but lots of people throughout the country have this burden/responsibility and they still have to do their jobs and their family issues can't be used as an excuse for poor work performance.

However, I would imagine when a hospital hears that one of their patients is a daughter/mother/ sister of a current government Minister that this information is duly taken into account. The patient may not get preferential treatment/care but I'd say that hospital management would be anxious that the patient would not be exposed to too many delays or medical feck-ups like the rest of us are at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

humberklog wrote: »

We would then have the rather farcical situation of Anton interviewing people who his firm have taught how to not answer questions. His day job should really rule him out of current affairs broadcasting, The conflicts of interests are just too glaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Hi Arlene Foster , hows the election campaign going?, have you looked up the meaning of misogynistic yet?
    sounds like the troll is gone off to troll somewhere else or look for a dictionary.

You're bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

More attacks on Trump

Very tiresome

mustve been a memo sent out or something as "playback" was at it too this morning.

some how managed to find the ONLY anti trump stuff on liveline this week which was doing joes head in it was so "pro" the man.

:D

cant help wondering if brendans OTHER employer had something to do with that peice too. certainly its at odds to what marions been getting up to the last few weeks.

seems theres a bit of a "war on trump" going on in montrose.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    We would then have the rather farcical situation of Anton interviewing people who his firm have taught how to not answer questions. His day job should really rule him out of current affairs broadcasting, The conflicts of interests are just too glaring.
    It never hindered his parents.

Tom Savage is a former RTE News Editor and was appointed Chairman of the RTÉ Board.

Terry Prone is a regular contributor to RTE current affairs and new programmes which discuss politicians, some of whom are clients of The Communications Clinic. I remember her appearing on TV3 immediately after one of the Presidential Debates. She was analysing and giving feedback on all the candidates and it was well known that one the candidates, Jim Mitchell was a client of her firm at the time.

Financial Advisors have to declare what commissions they receive when they're trying to persuade you to invest in financial products, having this information prevents the advisor from making a gain at your expense. I believe if Terry & Co. insist on contributing to news/current affairs shows, they should have a duty to make the public aware of their client list so any possible conflicts of interest can be identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This morning felt like a box ticking exercise for MMO'C. The stay in the B&B with her kids (although being a teacher she was never going to be there for very long), the parents in nursing homes etc. Comes across as being insincere, and that article about her travails with her advisors seems to back this up.

• Advertisement

This morning felt like a box ticking exercise for MMO'C. The stay in the B&B with her kids (although being a teacher she was never going to be there for very long), the parents in nursing homes etc. Comes across as being insincere, and that article about her travails with her advisors seems to back this up.
    I completely agree, it had all the hallmarks of something set up by one of her new advisers to distract from MMOC's current difficulties.

I can imagine the pep talk she received ahead of the interview - be human, mention your personal life so the public have a sense of what you've overcome (separation, divorce, 'homelessness', caring for elderly parents etc. - ie She maybe a Minister but really she is one of us). These were all distractions from what people are interested in - i.e - will there be jobs for them and their children...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement