Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious cults in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Irish people are generally born into the worlds largest cult....:D

Yeah and i think they should change and be able to pick their own religion,if i hated my religion and said i wanted to convert my parents would hit me and never speak to me again, its so stupid.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I often thought about starting my own religion but reckoned it wouldnt really catch on.

"Everybody is going to hell" kinda lacks that essential feelgood factor

There is no central register of religious affiliation in the UK

Why dont you try converting them to YOUR religion ?

Because i'd look like some sort of creep... plus i'm not 90 so could you imagine i teenager coming out to the door and doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

owenc wrote: »
    Is that like science as a religion?
    No. There is no science whatsoever in Scientology.

karma_ wrote: »
    The Orange Order are a religious cult. Surprised they haven't had a mention yet.

No they are bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I follow the hawk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember a few years back I took a Scientologist test online for the lulz. The questionare was quite basic though as you got on you were asked the same questions except they were phrased differently. Example question: "Would you ever find that you whistle a tune to yourself?" :confused:

My result was that I was borderline clinicaly depressed with next to no confidence in myself :pac: I had a nice little graph too of my supposed emotions.

Needless to say I had my lulz and forgot about it until I got an e-mail a few days later from someone in Dublin who wanted me to meet him to ask me more questions.............I was also required to bring money :D

Never heard from them again, fortunately!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is that like science as a religion? I've never heard of any of these religions in my life they don't have any of them here.

Scifi author decided he wanted to get rich off inventing a religion a few decades ago, announced this, invented said religion with aliens and crap. You pay money to "advance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Galvasean wrote: »
    And Jakkass manages to take the thread off topic in one fell post! :pac:

It's taking the thread off topic to ask someone about their post? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We had a scientoligist in our team at work.

He used to have to get permission if he wanted to have a drink with us after work. Of course he rarely came with us.

There was some guy in the background who we never saw who was controlling his entire life. weird.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Scifi author decided he wanted to get rich off inventing a religion a few decades ago, announced this, invented said religion with aliens and crap. You pay money to "advance".

L Ron Hubbard.

Mediocre Scifi author. He was asked whats the best way to get rich and he said start a religion.

Their whole schtick is fixing your mental problems through courses and classes that cost a fortune and reveal your even deeper mental problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Is that like science as a religion? I've never heard of any of these religions in my life they don't have any of them here.

It's a worldwide religion,google it.

Something not quite right about it imo.

The whole "religion" part of scientology is just so they dont have to pay tax in the US.

The scifi goobldegook is just to satisfy the legal requirements to qualify as a "religion" and thus pay no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The whole "religion" part of scientology is just so they dont have to pay tax in the US.
    There is a little bit more to the story. When Hubbard initially introduced Dianetics he was selling it as a science. The problem with selling a science, especially when you are making all sorts of medical claims, is that you fall foul of legislation concerning treatments. The New Jersey Board of medical examiners took a case against the Hubbard Dianetic Foundation for practicing medicine without a licence. The upshot of this case was the bankruptcy of the foundation in the early part on 1953. Not to be put off, Hubbard simply opening up again in December of that year under the title ‘Church of Scientology’.

Even at this point Hubbard was still pushing the science line. Check out this quote from the 1954 version of ‘The Creation of Human Ability’:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBpQvTa3RJA

As the tax benefits became more obvious this was the direction Hubbard eventually went. The money shot illustrating this is the following:
    religionr.jpg

Money quote:
    “Scientology 1970 is being planned on a religious organization basis throughout the world. This will not upset in any way the usual activities of any organization. It is entirely a matter for accountants and solicitors. I have evidently failed in designating HASI Ltd. As a non-profit corporation. Therefore other arrangements must be made, but these in no way shatter any organization or change its personal in the slightest.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Jakkass wrote: »
    Why do you think people do?

Because it's so rare in life that people get a real, natural feeling of harmony and togetherness with other people, especially with people outside of their immediate family. There are very few occasions where people can come together with a common idea, or a reason to celebrate, and so they use religion / the supernatural as an easy way of unifying themselves. It's human nature to want to feel accepted, and very few opportunities in life provide people with that feeling of unconditional benevolence. Organised religion in it's untainted early stages can provide that. Cults can give the impression of it in a very concentrated way. And that's why they so often attract people with poor social skills or dysfuntional family backgrounds. People who would otherwise be forced to the outskirts of society. That's just my opinion anyway.

Truley wrote: »
    Because it's so rare in life that people get a real, natural feeling of harmony and togetherness with other people, especially with people outside of their immediate family. There are very few occasions where people can come together with a common idea, or a reason to celebrate, and so they use religion / the supernatural as an easy way of unifying themselves. It's human nature to want to feel accepted, and very few opportunities in life provide people with that feeling of unconditional benevolence. Organised religion in it's untainted early stages can provide that. Cults can give the impression of it in a very concentrated way. And that's why they so often attract people with poor social skills or dysfuntional family backgrounds. People who would otherwise be forced to the outskirts of society. That's just my opinion anyway.

I can see the benefit that you are referring to. I wouldn't say it is the main reason by any means though. People can form groups on anything and everything, and people can particularly in the age we live in, get social contact through these things. Not necessarily via organised religion.

Do people believe in the supernatural as a means for just social contact or are there better reasons for doing so?

I can see the benefit that you are referring to. I wouldn't say it is the main reason by any means though. People can form groups on anything and everything, and people can particularly in the age we live in, get social contact through these things. Not necessarily via organised religion.

Do people believe in the supernatural as a means for just social contact or are there better reasons for doing so?

The supernatural as in a god?

I think that many people would believe in a god as a kind of comfort,to believe that there is someone/something looking after them.

Or as something to turn to when everyone goes bad,they would have their religious community and would look to their god for guidance/comfort etc.

Or for hope,that there is something more than just life here or for looking for answers in life,how we got here,what we're doing here,why do such things happen and so on.

This is really OT btw me thinks.

storm2811 wrote: »
    I think that many people would believe in a god as a kind of comfort,to believe that there is someone/something looking after them.

I don't know. Many people can also view the idea of God problematic, as they wouldn't like to think of the idea that there may be consequences for how people live. That would be certainly uncomforting.
    Or as something to turn to when everyone goes bad,they would have their religious community and would look to their god for guidance/comfort etc.

Again, one could also dwell on asking why God would do such a thing.
    Or for hope,that there is something more than just life here or for looking for answers in life,how we got here,what we're doing here,why do such things happen and so on.

True, but I would consider this a common human quest rather than a specifically religious one. It is logical to ask how we got here, and what our purpose is.
    This is really OT btw me thinks.

Not any more OT than other posts.

I don't know. Many people can also view the idea of God problematic, as they wouldn't like to think of the idea that there may be consequences for how people live. That would be certainly uncomforting.

Again, one could also dwell on asking why God would do such a thing.

True, but I would consider this a common human quest rather than a specifically religious one. It is logical to ask how we got here, and what our purpose is.

Not any more OT than other posts.

True,there are two sides to every story/opinion though,that was just my thoughts on why people may become religious.

I agree,this is one of the various reasons why I became an athiest,but others may still look to god for hope and to help them get past their troubles.

Yes,but what I meant was that those who believe in Christianity for example,get most of their answers to life from the bible,how we got here,why,etc.

Someone may also turn to religion to give a sense of being or a reason for living,I have known people who were depressed but would go on in the hope that god would help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I was a member of a cult in Ireland for years. Was born into it but left when I was old enough.

They are called the Palmarian Catholics. You can google them for more information. For real have their own pope and all!!!

Heres a link to a thread I wrote in 2 years ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318698

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They can, but they probably don't.
    And there are consequences for how we live - either a good life, or breaking the law and all its punishments, or getting heart disease, etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    They can, but they probably don't.
    And there are consequences for how we live - either a good life, or breaking the law and all its punishments, or getting heart disease, etc etc etc.

I've heard people say this in conversation, so it is one reason amongst many that people don't consider any form of faith. Precisely because they aren't interested in the prospect of maybe having to change how they live.

Indeed. But few groupings give the same sense of unity and reassurance as a religious one does. Families, friends, society can be unstable and unreliable. But God is a steady entity, like the father figure you never had. And even better when you have so many other people who share the same ideal. It's like being part of the cheerleading squad, or the football team, except you don't have to wait to get picked, the fact that you want to be a part of it is enough to be accepted. And it's a nice feeling.

I would say on a subconscious level at least, the feeling of being part of a group is one of the main factors that drives people to religions and cults. And away from them too as the case may be.

Indeed. But few groupings give the same sense of unity and reassurance as a religious one does. Families, friends, society can be unstable and unreliable. But God is a steady entity, like the father figure you never had. And even better when you have so many other people who share the same ideal. It's like being part of the cheerleading squad, or the football team, except you don't have to wait to get picked, the fact that you want to be a part of it is enough to be accepted. And it's a nice feeling.

1) I believe its true that some groupings of people for this reason can be more family like. I would argue probably this is also due to the logical implications of their beliefs as well.

2) God being the Father figure people never had? This is a bit of a leap I think. I've also heard that some people have difficulties affiliating with God as Father as they have problems understanding what it means having lived in dysfunctional families. So perhaps that lends itself both ways.

3) It might be nice to be a part of a group like this on a pragmatic level. However, affiliating to certain beliefs is going to mean that your life mightn't be as easy as if you didn't. You will have to make sacrifices, and you will have to change how you behave towards other people, and take an interest in God first in your life. That's hard even from my perspective.

If it was all about the group that you go to (I hold that belief is more than a Sunday issue, it also is a Monday, Tuesday etc issue) then these issues wouldn't be of much circumstance.
    I would say on a subconscious level at least, the feeling of being part of a group is one of the main factors that drives people to religions and cults. And away from them too as the case may be.

I don't know to be honest with you. If you don't really believe going to church can seem very empty, you can read such opinions all over boards, I also felt that way for a while too. If it was just the group motivation, it wouldn't be this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Opus Dei have a compound out at Lismullin near the Hill of Tara, QUOTE]

how come these cults always seem to reside in 'compounds' ?!

I don't know to be honest with you. If you don't really believe going to church can seem very empty, you can read such opinions all over boards, I also felt that way for a while too. If it was just the group motivation, it wouldn't be this way.

Ah but that's exactly my point you see! In grassroots religions like the Mormons in Ireland (at the time), or some of the smaller Christian groups, and most importantly cults, they are starting off with the right intentions. The origional goal, a group of like minded people who come together to share a common idea/belief. For example in this country very few people were born into Mormonism, the chuch I was a part of mostly consisted of adult converts. So their church services took place in a volunteer's back garden, while everyone sat in a circle an participated. Most of all everyone who was there genuinely wanted to be there. They weren't forced by their families, or by a sense of guilt or duty.

Larger, more established churches don't provide that as most people are born into it and so become members by default, not by choice. As well as that churches and cults become so big that they take on a commerical structure, where self-preservation takes priority, and there is no unity amongst its followers anymore. How often do you hear people say they believe in Catholicism but not the way many Catholic officails believe and act? Nobody agrees on what they want anymore, even in the Vatican, it's a complete joke. That's when so many people will seek out smaller, grassroot groupings for the reasons I stated before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Opus Dei have a compound out at Lismullin near the Hill of Tara, QUOTE]

how come these cults always seem to reside in 'compounds' ?!

The Vatican is an "Independant State"

I agree that there is a community aspect, but I don't think it is the main reason why people believe. I would continue believing in God, even if I were not a part of such a community, because I believe it to be true. It being true, is above and beyond the idea of community.

I'm not sure if we can establish why, without dialoguing with people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

The feckin' Green Party :mad:

A quasi religous cult with more proscriptions about what you can and can't do then Islam. Bunch of nutters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

galwayrush wrote: »
    With their totally devoted fanatical supporters, the biggest and most dangerous cvnt in the country is F.F.:pac:
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

south park has an answer to everything!!

Advertisement