Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious cults in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Jakkass wrote: »
    I don't know. Many people can also view the idea of God problematic, as they wouldn't like to think of the idea that there may be consequences for how people live. That would be certainly uncomforting.
    I've heard people say this in conversation, so it is one reason amongst many that people don't consider any form of faith. Precisely because they aren't interested in the prospect of maybe having to change how they live.
    Ermm…nope. But good to see you at least have an idea why the above is rarely true:
    I agree that there is a community aspect, but I don't think it is the main reason why people believe. I would continue believing in God, even if I were not a part of such a community, because I believe it to be true. It being true, is above and beyond the idea of community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I would object to the term 'cults' being used. Its a antiquated word. It has far too much negative baggage. Strictly speaking a cult has no negative connotations. I could write without any partisan views that Catholicism is composed of many cults. That shouldn't be seen as a criticism. The proper term for small scale possessive religions is new religious movements (NRMs). There is a watch dog for overseeing NRMs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I think Scientology is a prime example of how transparently ridiculous some religions or cults can be. It was started by a Science Fiction author FFS. Yet it has a large amount of supporters,celebrity endorsements and large finances. A joke to some but a life for others.

How sad and scary is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

robp wrote: »
    I would object to the term 'cults' being used. Its a antiquated word. It has far too much negative baggage. Strictly speaking a cult has no negative connotations. I could write without any partisan views that Catholicism is composed of many cults. That shouldn't be seen as a criticism. The proper term for small scale possessive religions is new religious movements (NRMs). There is a watch dog for overseeing NRMs in Ireland.

I don't mind it at all, if a person has a bad reaction to the word cult and doesn't understand it and is bogged down by the negative connotations then it's a pretty good idiot filter and I know to not bother talking about my spirituality and the fertility cult I am a member of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think Scientology is a prime example of how transparently ridiculous some religions or cults can be. It was started by a Science Fiction author FFS. Yet it has a large amount of supporters,celebrity endorsements and large finances. A joke to some but a life for others.

How sad and scary is that?

Dude that Roman Catholic Church invented that Scientology is just doing a cover version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

robp wrote: »
    I would object to the term 'cults' being used. Its a antiquated word. It has far too much negative baggage.
    It is precisely because the word has negative baggage that is needed. I have argued that the term needs to be reclaimed for use as a descriptor of the ‘problem’.

My definition:
    A cult is any group or organisation that, through excessive undue influence upon its members, causes severe mental, financial and/or societal harm.

Note that the above definition does not involve either religion or ideology, and I think cuts right to the heart of the matter. The term ‘cult’ has many different meanings, and I think using it in a manner similar to the above is much more useful.
    The proper term for small scale possessive religions is new religious movements (NRMs).
    Unfortunately this term is completely useless when analysing this topic in the real world. For example the Hare Krishnas are an NRM but I would strongly argue they are not a cult as per the above definition. The culture of covering up child abuse within Catholic institutions is deserving of the cult label, and yet this is not an NRM. Then there are groups like Landmark or Amway which are a cults but do not have any religious elements, or even the pretence of religious elements, to them. The fact that the ‘proper’ term, as you describe it, is so inadequate for describing the cult problem should be an argument for reclaiming the term ‘cult’.
    There is a watch dog for overseeing NRMs in Ireland.
    ?

Advertisement