Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2010-2011 outlook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

http://rt.com/prime-time/2010-10-04/coldest-winter-emergency-measures.html
    After the record heat wave this summer, Russia's weather seems to have acquired a taste for the extreme.

Forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years.

The change is reportedly connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years. Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks Pa,

It seems that the 'cold war' is ongoing between the Russians and the Poles. I assume the bit of the gulf stream that reaches Murmansk is what has slowed, not the whole caboodle.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/10/04/fight-brewing-between-polish-and-russian-forecasters-over-a-potentially-record-cold-winter-ahead/
    This year’s winter may be the harshest – Polish climatologists
    According to Polish climatologists, the Gulfstream- the Atlantic warm current, which protects Europe against the Arctic cold, is cooling fast. It might even disappear completely, they warn.
    Russian meteorologists disagree with the pessimism of their Polish counterparts, agreeing though that the speed of the Gulfstream has indeed been reduced two-fold for several years. The Scandinavian countries are already feeling the breathing of the Arctic.

and AGW rears its ugly head :D
    But after looking at satellite pictures, NASA officials say that the global warming of the past 18 years has made the Gulfstream stronger and warmer. Russian meteorologists however hold the middle ground, Alexander Frolov, head of the Russian Meteorological Agency says. The Gulfstream is powerful and is not declining; it warms up Europe, and consequently, it has a high significance for both Poland and the Scandinavian nations. But access to the heat might be restricted by the thawing of the ice and the turning of the water fresh – that is cold fresh water may appear on the surface, preventing the heat from going into the atmosphere to have an impact on the climate. We do not overestimate such a phenomenon, Frolov says.

The Clare Herald has decided to warn its readers about this odd likkle cold war :D

http://www.clareherald.com/news/3229-ireland-faces-big-freeze-for-winter-2010-11.html
    Meanwhile, some forecasters say this winter could be the coldest Europe has seen in the last 1,000 years. They say the dramatic change is connected with the speed of the Gulf Stream, which they say has shrunk in half in just the last couple of years.

Polish scientists say that it means the stream will not be able to compensate for the cold from the Arctic winds. According to them, when the stream is completely stopped, a new Ice Age will begin in Europe.

I would not pay much heed to it, personally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    let's hope that councils are planning to acquire salt and grity supplies in advance this time.

This is now being handled by the NRA !! If you thought last year was badly coordinated wait till you see this shower (no pun intended)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Reality check: Compared to the Local Authorities the NRA operates like a Swiss watch. :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Reality check: Compared to the Local Authorities the NRA operates like a Swiss watch. :cool:

Now I know you're joking.......M50, road signage, sinking motorways, M3 pyrite, port tunnel problems, motorway service stations, cost overruns, etc, etc

Oh well, back to the weather.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

this winter is likely to be the coldest in 1 year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

dfbemt wrote: »
    Now I know you're joking.......M50, road signage, sinking motorways, M3 pyrite, port tunnel problems, motorway service stations, cost overruns, etc, etc

giving out about the NRA is kind of like this

accuweather now showing single figure daytime temps for middle of month
    http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=ennis&metric=1
    gens-0-0-324.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Its nuts that this weekend their saying temps could be as high as 20 degrees but then next weekend its back to single figures.Perfect cold and flu conditions if i ever seen it:).

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

This is now being handled by the NRA !!

The condition of our roads is being looked after by the National Rifle Association! I knew this country did things arseways, but this is taking the biscuit! ;):D

• Advertisement

The condition of our roads is being looked after by the National Rifle Association! I knew this country did things arseways, but this is taking the biscuit! ;):D

They would be perfect for sorting out dangerous speeders. :pac:

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    giving out about the NRA is kind of like this

NRA = Life of Brian :confused:

NRA = Life of Brian :confused:
    we can give out about them all we want but on the flipside they have delivered plenty for Ireland. I can now drive to Dublin in less than 3 hrs compared to 4 to 4.5 a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

pauldry wrote: »
    this winter is likely to be the coldest in 1 year:D

Its also likely to be the warmest in 2years . .. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Aiel wrote: »
    Its nuts that this weekend their saying temps could be as high as 20 degrees but then next weekend its back to single figures.Perfect cold and flu conditions if i ever seen it:).

whats good about cold and flu ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

duckysauce wrote: »
    whats good about cold and flu ?:confused:

Who doesn't enjoy a good cold or flu, you really get the sense winter is coming when you have the flu.;)

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Who doesn't enjoy a good cold or flu, you really get the sense winter is coming when you have the flu.;)

Thing is though, when man-flu is about it gives us a wrong persperctive, we all expect snowmaggeddon, when in fact all we get is a little trickle...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Amazing how trains could barge through 10ft showdrifts back then, while today they can't withstand leaves on the line!!

Some nice images in this video....along with a strangely hypnotic soundtrack (which Deep Easterly will probably appreciate)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=439_1286581616

Su Campu wrote: »
    Amazing how trains could barge through 10ft showdrifts back then, while today they can't withstand leaves on the line!!

Some nice images in this video....along with a strangely hypnotic soundtrack (which Deep Easterly will probably appreciate)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=439_1286581616

Those old steam locos were so heavy that the leaves were squeezed out by the wheels, the modern stock is sufficiently light to leaf a skin on the rail that is slippery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Nope. The roads in crap condition are being looked after by local authorities. The good ones are in the hands of the NRA. Y'know, the ones with decent lines and signs and surfaces up to or beyond European norms.

If the NRA are put in charge of gritting the roads the job will be done to the best standards. Which is not the same thing as perfection. (And perfection is not something that exists anywhere except in the minds of some train-spotters from the infrastructure forum). :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My better half (Chinese) just told me that she saw someone on TV there forecast that its going to be the coldest winter in 1000 years in Europe, so she tells me to wrap up warm :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I was wondering if someone could drop a name for me,
    I recall last year someone mentioning about a weather phenomenon that makes everything in the sky and surronding areas looks very clear.
    Do you know the name of the phenomenon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pangea wrote: »
    I recall last year someone mentioning about a weather phenomenon that makes everything in the sky and surronding areas looks very clear.

erdinger.jpg

:)

Seriously though, I haven't heard that phenomenon myself but sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »

do you mean deep easterlies?:D
    if so i think it's because the air is so dry and cold, everything looks clearer and the sky has a different colour- like what you'd normally see in places that are used to having cold winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

do you mean deep easterlies?:D
    if so i think it's because the air is so dry and cold, everything looks clearer and the sky has a different colour- like what you'd normally see in places that are used to having cold winters.
    No I dont think that was it.
    I remember someone mentioning it on here, funny enough I thought it was Deep Easterily himself that said it intially but i can recall.
    Im not saying it is winter related ,just felt like posting it on this thread lol. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

figure1.gif

russian_heat_fig4.JPG

Is it me or does July 1936 look remarkably similar to July 2010 as regard heat in Northern Hemisphere,especially Russian heatwave.

Could the winter of 1936 show us a clue to this year maybe?

If anyone can find a chart for that,it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

1936-37 Jan 5.2 Average DJFMa First week Dec., northern Scotland. 28th Feb., blizzard many parts, Scotland and north England 1ft, 7th Mar., southern England. 11-13th Mar., Great blizzard, southern Scotland, northern England, northern Ireland

http://www.napier.eclipse.co.uk/weather/bonacina.html

1936-37: Early December saw snow in Scotland, predominantly the North. Late February saw the next big snowfall, with a blizzard in many parts, 1ft recorded in Northern England and Scotland. Early March saw snow for Southern England. A blizzard swept through the whole northern portion of the UK in mid March. Snowy.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=winthist;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Could the winter of 1936 show us a clue to this year maybe?

If anyone can find a chart for that,it would be great.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsslpeur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Iv been trying to read through this tread, a lot of it was confusing, and I got bored at about 10 pages.
    So can any one tell me what the people are thinking right now about what will happen?

Im only 16 so I havnt seen any really big snow storms or anything yet and would like to!

So whatcha think?

http://www.clareherald.com/news/3229-batten-down-the-hatches-for-winter-2010-11.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Iv been trying to read through this tread, a lot of it was confusing, and I got bored at about 10 pages.
    So can any one tell me what the people are thinking right now about what will happen?

Im only 16 so I havnt seen any really big snow storms or anything yet and would like to!

So whatcha think?

http://www.clareherald.com/news/3229-batten-down-the-hatches-for-winter-2010-11.html

There will be alot of snow this winter, I predict a few heavy snow falls, with high pressure stirring down cold Artic air, the snow will just freeze and freeze night by night day by day. It will be very icey.

Advertisement