Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bra or not to Bra

Options
  • 18-06-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My boobs have recently shruken big style and now they are more of a little handful. Thing is now I can wear tops without a bra, but I kinda wondering am I a bit old to be wearing a top without a bra. I'm 34 and three quarters.

It's not that you can see them bouncing about, it's just that you'd know by the top or the straps that I am not wearing one.

Comments please!

P.P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

ah if they are not bouncing around or hanging around your belly button I dont think it matters what age you are. Enjoy that fact you can go without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I could go without but I am scared of escaping nipples. o.o

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bladybladyblah

Why is society so afraid of nipples? Embrace life without bras I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pinkpigs

Ah no there is no chance of them escaping and I use the daisies to cover them up.

It's kinda nice not having to wear a bra, there are some advantages to being on the smaller side.

P.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Age shouldn't make a jot of a difference, but at the same time, do you want to risk droopage due to lack of support?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'd have them reigned in, purely to keep them where they are in future.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

I'm in my mid-thirties. Mine are small and I don't wear a bra. Ever.

Feels good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bluemooner

Why is society so afraid of nipples? Embrace life without bras I say.

a subtle yet pun-tastic comment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK folks lets reign this in to helpful comments.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm in my twenties and I very rarely wear bras, even to work. I say go for it. My boyfriend says that guys love it too, not because you're any more on display, but because it looks so much more natural without all the padding/ underwiring etc. It would probably do your breasts good too not having them constantly encased in fabric. My boyfriend says he loves watching movies from the seventies cos none of the women wear bras :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Truley wrote: »
    I'm in my twenties and I very rarely wear bras, even to work. I say go for it. My boyfriend says that guys love it too, not because you're any more on display, but because it looks so much more natural without all the padding/ underwiring etc. It would probably do your breasts good too not having them constantly encased in fabric. My boyfriend says he loves watching movies from the seventies cos none of the women wear bras :o

Why? Loads of people seem to have the idea that wearing a bra is bad for your breasts and I'd love to know what the basis for this argument is? Genuinely interested not having a go.
    I'm a 32A and would never not wear a bra. I think it gives shape and definition to your body and I don't want to hasten the inevitable work of gravity and have them head south any sooner than necessary. Granted when I'm at home I often don't wear one but always when leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

To bra! I have pretty small boobs, and would never go out not wearing a bra. I mean, if it's uncomfortable for you or something, you're more than likely wearing the wrong size. I think it's important to wear a bra, to support your boobs. I know mine are small, but I wanna do whatever I can to stop them sagging in the future. Plus I think boobs just look better in clothes when you're wearing a bra.

My boobs have had 20 years or so of support and are still nicely defying gravity - I'm about a D cup, was an E at one stage, so they've always been quite big. Ok, they've probably sagged a teeny bit - time and gravity and weight fluctuation (especially every month with them getting considerably bigger) and the sheer size of them will do that. But very, very little. Bras ftw.

Why? Loads of people seem to have the idea that wearing a bra is bad for your breasts and I'd love to know what the basis for this argument is? Genuinely interested not having a go.
    I'm a 32A and would never not wear a bra. I think it gives shape and definition to your body and I don't want to hasten the inevitable work of gravity and have them head south any sooner than necessary. Granted when I'm at home I often don't wear one but always when leaving the house.

I guess the same reason it's good to go barefoot once and a while rather than have your feet stuffed in shoes and socks. I would imagine it's more hygenic as sweat, bacteria etc can build up in bras. And as far as I am aware most health studies have failed to find evidence to support (heh) that wearing a bra affects whether your breasts will sag or not. In fact many health professionals have claimed that the opposite is the case because long term use can mean the chest muscles that support the breasts naturally aren't used and developed. That's why most bra manufacturers don't advertise them as having long term benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I have to say, I find going braless so much more comfortable. I only have 36A/Bs though so its not like they get in the way much. But I would feel a bit weird going out during the day with noticeably braless boobs.

That being said though, I would consider it a perk of being less well endowed that it is not always essential to wear a bra in some tops or dresses when on holidays or going out.

I was very surprised to find out that many of my friends wear bras at night when sleeping! Its something I would never have even considered.

I'd imagine not giving your breasts a break from the bra might affect circulation and yeah, the chest muscles would get lazy, but anecdotally at least (e.g. the Trinny & Susannah breast special or whatever) no bra means drooped boobage. There was a woman on it who hadn't worn a bra in six years and they were down past her waist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Truley wrote: »
    And as far as I am aware most health studies have failed to find evidence to support (heh) that wearing a bra affects whether your breasts will sag or not. In fact many health professionals have claimed that the opposite is the case because long term use can mean the chest muscles that support the breasts naturally aren't used and developed.
    [Bloke interloper]The only problem with that is the chest muscles are only a part of the issue. The biggest part is the connective tissue stretching and losing elasticity over time. If you hung a wieight on say your earlobe, it would cause it to stretch and grow new cells with the downward pressure. Bigger boobs are more prone to this for obvious reasons, they're heavier. If it was just to do with the muscle behind them that wouldnt be the case and a few months of weights targeting the chest muscles would reverse the sagging. So IMHO wearing a properly fitting supportive bra that helps to take the pressure off and doesnt stretch the underlying connective tissue is bound to delay the process?

My purely anecdotal experience? I've seen a couple in my time :) and one ex had large enough breasts (E) and the women in her family even wore bras to bed to support them. I kid thee not, though I had another ex who did too so maybe not that uncommon? well hers at 35 had very little downward movement going on. She also got measured up every year as she reckoned many women wore completely the wrong size and diff makers varied in claimed sizes(she had worked two summers in a clothes shop) I've known other women who were the let them fly free hippie types:) and even though they had smaller boobs, by the late 20's had moved in a southerly direction. Losing a lot of weight can make them go south. Another woman I knew who went a bit overboard on the oul gym time and lost way too much bodyfat and hers went very saggy and flat. [/Bloke interloper]

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

I'd personally always wear a bra for comfort reasons but if you don't feel like it then don't! Age has nothing to do with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Remember hearing something on the radio about using the pencil test to determine if you can get away with not wearing a bra. You place a pencil directly under your bust and let go. If its held in place by your breast then you need to wear a bra while if it falls away then you can get away without wearing one. Never tried it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I would absolutely love to go braless, I think it would be so much more comfortable. However, I am extremely top heavy (JJ) so I could never. And I'd say going without would cause a very quick downward gravity trend with all that weight...
    Wibbs wrote: »
    My purely anecdotal experience? I've seen a couple in my time :) and one ex had large enough breasts (E) and the women in her family even wore bras to bed to support them. I kid thee not, though I had another ex who did too so maybe not that uncommon? well hers at 35 had very little downward movement going on. She also got measured up every year as she reckoned many women wore completely the wrong size and diff makers varied in claimed sizes(she had worked two summers in a clothes shop)
    I've never slept in a bra, I think thats a bit odd tbh, and its good to give the body a bit of a break from bras too. I can never wear strappy pj tops to bed though cos I always fall out the sides! :eek: OH doesn't mind though :D

But I think if you are able to go without and it not cause you discomfort, go for it!! I'd love it if I could!

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    [Bloke interloper]The only problem with that is the chest muscles are only a part of the issue. The biggest part is the connective tissue stretching and losing elasticity over time. If you hung a wieight on say your earlobe, it would cause it to stretch and grow new cells with the downward pressure. Bigger boobs are more prone to this for obvious reasons, they're heavier. If it was just to do with the muscle behind them that wouldnt be the case and a few months of weights targeting the chest muscles would reverse the sagging. So IMHO wearing a properly fitting supportive bra that helps to take the pressure off and doesnt stretch the underlying connective tissue is bound to delay the process?

My purely anecdotal experience? I've seen a couple in my time :) and one ex had large enough breasts (E) and the women in her family even wore bras to bed to support them. I kid thee not, though I had another ex who did too so maybe not that uncommon? well hers at 35 had very little downward movement going on. She also got measured up every year as she reckoned many women wore completely the wrong size and diff makers varied in claimed sizes(she had worked two summers in a clothes shop) I've known other women who were the let them fly free hippie types:) and even though they had smaller boobs, by the late 20's had moved in a southerly direction. Losing a lot of weight can make them go south. Another woman I knew who went a bit overboard on the oul gym time and lost way too much bodyfat and hers went very saggy and flat. [/Bloke interloper]

Like you said yourself though it's all anecdotal. It's very hard to judge whether you're tits have stayed pert because you wore a bra or because they just stayed like that naturally. Plenty of people's breasts sag despite wearing a bra constantly. Despite the fashion for them to look a certain way our breasts do 'hang' from us for a good reason, temperature regulation and lymphatic ciruculation is important for breast feeding and all around good breast health. I'm not saying that bras don't serve a purpose but I would wager that that beyond the asthetics (which I understand is important) there are far more negative side effects to wearing a bra than not, especially for women with smaller boobs. However it's very hard to get any kind of concrete evidence because there are far too many variables to take into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

pinkpigs wrote: »
    My boobs have recently shruken big style and now they are more of a little handful. Thing is now I can wear tops without a bra, but I kinda wondering am I a bit old to be wearing a top without a bra. I'm 34 and three quarters.

It's not that you can see them bouncing about, it's just that you'd know by the top or the straps that I am not wearing one.

Comments please!

P.P.

Do it how you want to,What ever makes you feel comfortable.34 you would swear you were ninety:DTo old to wear a top without a bra i seriously dont know where you got that idea from!
    Been honest i dont think many people are going to be looking to check if you have one or not.And i doubt they are going to be thinking oh she is to old and shouldn't be without a bra.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I'd love to not wear a bra but being a 36e means that it's out of the question. If you use the little nipple daisy's i wouldn't say you have a problem. As long as ya steer clear of white tops you should be perfect!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Remember hearing something on the radio about using the pencil test to determine if you can get away with not wearing a bra. You place a pencil directly under your bust and let go. If its held in place by your breast then you need to wear a bra while if it falls away then you can get away without wearing one. Never tried it though!

:D That "pencil test" thing always reminds me of my mother and a joke of hers. My mother has HOOOOGE boobs (as mine are distinctly... not huge, I sometimes wonder about the genetics of it). She always says: "What, pencil test? I need a pencil-CASE test! And I'd still flunk it." (She did, as well - I was a witness once. :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

For Christ's sake they are only breasts. As long as they stand up and say hello and you are not looking like something out of national geographic and you dont drive down a pot holed road like mine [where you need a sports bra when you are driving on it] then every once in a while will do no harm as an a/b. But every day - not such a great idea, especially in the heat where skin expands and looses its elascticity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I never leave the house without a bra on, I'm a d cup so don't think I'd get away with it. If I was small though I definitely would!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

read in the sunday paper that miriam o callaghan was accused of going without one on primetime few weeks ago.
    she had one on but a female viewer complained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

seenitall wrote: »
    She always says: "What, pencil test? I need a pencil-CASE test!
    That's exactly what I was thinking :o
    read in the sunday paper that miriam o callaghan was accused of going without one on primetime few weeks ago.
    she had one on but a female viewer complained.
    Accused? christ, maybe she shouldn't be staring so hard at miriam's chest, none of her business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Unfortunately I have different sized boobs. I would never ever be able to not wear a bra out because wearing a bra helps to conceal the problem to some degree. Its still noticable even with a bra but wearing a bra helps to hide the problem. I also also always wear a bra to bed too. I went to bed once before without and it was too uncomfortable. Out of interest does anybody else have the same problem of different sized breasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Yep, it's really annoying. There's about a cup size in difference between mine.

Advertisement