Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Scioch wrote: »
    Hand shoved in a face amidst a scuffle. Looked like a thing of nothing to me. Someone posted a gif somewhere on the match thread.

Players have gotten bans for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hand shoved in a face amidst a scuffle. Looked like a thing of nothing to me. Someone posted a gif somewhere on the match thread.

Here it is.

omahonygouge.gif

Sorry but that's a gouge for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Here it is.

omahonygouge.gif

That finger is curved in towards his eye, if it was just a shove why does his hand rest on his face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

its_phil wrote: »
    That finger is curved in towards his eye, if it was just a shove why does his hand rest on his face?

The gif is slowed down as the hand goes onto his face so I don't think it actually rests there but it still does not look good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

danthefan wrote: »
    The gif is slowed down as the hand goes onto his face so I don't think it actually rests there but it still does not look good at all.
    Curled up finger in the eye - that's a gouge, but not a serious one (if that makes any sense).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Curled up finger in the eye - that's a gouge, but not a serious one (if that makes any sense).

Yeah I'll be very surprised if he's not cited.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but it's cracked me up:

Stick with it until the end....classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

fitz wrote: »
    Matt Williams talking complete sense in today's times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1126/1224327094319.html

The less said about Thornley's latest pro-Kidney puff piece the better.
    Embarrassing.

Notice how the people gushing over the side after this performance are the same one's who a few weeks ago would've been protesting that we just dont have the players to compete with the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

jacothelad wrote: »
    Interesting. So, in points per game he's behind:-

Dan Carter
    Jonny Wilkinson
    Neil Jenkins
    Diego Domiguez
    Stephen Jones
    Andrew Mehrtens
    Michael Lynagh
    Percy Montgomery
    Matt Burke
    Gavin Hastings
    Hugo Porta
    Grant Fox
    Morne Steyn
    Gonzalo Queseda.

He did manage to score 0.53 points per game more than Humphreys thopugh so that's that argument settled.

As for him having something still to give - yes he has. His farewell and thanks for the watch speech.

In fairness that use of statistics is a bit harsh on O'Gara as he was used as a sub or was subbed off in many of his caps both at the beginning (when he competed with Humphreys) and now at the end of his career. A points per minute played stat might reflect more fairly on him.

Rightly or wrongly he will still be on the bench for the six nations. I just wish he wasn't automatically used every game i.e. if Sexton is fit he plays the 80 but ROG comes on only if he gets injured. I could live with that for one more six nations as Jackson is still a bit raw at this level. Then bring Jackson in from next Autumn onwards to try to compete with Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

It would take some balls for Kidney to drop O'Gara for the 6N. Many people would be up in arms about it, O'Gara gets the biggest cheer on match days despite the fact he's becoming a liability at international level (goal kicking aside). If Ulster go 6 from 6 (which they could well do imo) Jackson's case will have been pressed further.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure if it was posted already, but the revised rankings are up:
    http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

Wales managed to climb a place and Argentina drop three. Samoa get eighth although they are on equal points with Argentina.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not sure if it was posted already, but the revised rankings are up:
    http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

Wales managed to climb a place and Argentina drop three. Samoa get eighth although they are on equal points with Argentina.

If Wales lose to Oz on the weekend they go below Argentina and Samoa

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

Me Tilty was baiting you all; and some of you took the bait..!
    (You should know better than to retaliate).

What did Fitz post..? (I'm confused..)

If this was a game of Rugby, it'd be a complete mess...
    Ref (Moderator): Get a grip on proceedings!

Kidney & Co to see out their contracts; it's the most economical option for the IRFU.
    The IRFU to then re-assess after the summer.
    A contract to be offered, to the most suitable candidate, to the end of the next RWC.
    Then a 4-year cycle to be introduced; ending (and peaking?) at RWCs...
    (just like the rest of the Top 6/7 rugby-playing nations.
    Any thoughts on this mad plan to rule the World...???

PS Anybody see the NZ short-arm v Wales in Minute 1..?
    (Why don't the laws apply to New Zealanders, like they apply to everyone else..?)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

JF100 wrote: »
    Me Tilty was baiting you all; and some of you took the bait..!
    (You should know better than to retaliate).

What did Fitz post..? (I'm confused..)

If this was a game of Rugby, it'd be a complete mess...
    Ref (Moderator): Get a grip on proceedings!

The user has already been banned.

Back on topic please, and remember; don't feed the trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hype710 wrote: »
    O'Gara gets the biggest cheer on match days

If John Hayes trotted on to replace Mike Ross, it would bring the house down. That wouldn't make it the right decision.

No, we are finally at the stage where ROG has to be jettisoned. He is a liability on the pitch and his presence in the squad prevents a younger guy coming through.

Ideally, Kidney would be looking at next year's 6N and saying "right, rankings don't matter, we're two years out from the World Cup, I need to look at my options and start building".

But he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Paddy's dad, Peter and I were friends years ago. Peter is completely mad - but in a good way. If you ever end up in his company and there is drink about - run. Run for your life. Paddy's grandad, Stanley Jackson, was one of the best players I've ever seen. He played senior rugby at both Number 8 and at fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

If John Hayes trotted on to replace Mike Ross, it would bring the house down. That wouldn't make it the right decision.

No, we are finally at the stage where ROG has to be jettisoned. He is a liability on the pitch and his presence in the squad prevents a younger guy coming through.

Ideally, Kidney would be looking at next year's 6N and saying "right, rankings don't matter, we're two years out from the World Cup, I need to look at my options and start building".

But he won't.

I'd say Jackson will have another go in the Wolfhounds game in January, and from there who knows. If he puts in a good performance we might see him on the bench for a game or two. Hopefull provincial form will be considered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

But he won't.

Kidney can't do that this year though as his contract is up at the end of the year, that's why it was a massive mistake to give a couch a two year contract he can't have a bad six nations, as that would mean his job! The contracts should be 4 years contract across the world cup cycle,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Lelantos wrote: »
    What if he wins the championship & a grand slam to boot, does he still get sacked then?

Ah it's started already. The "before a balls been kicked" carry on.

Look, we played well on Saturday against a poor Argentinian side. And I'm very happy with that game. However we've seen a number of false dawns already from this Irish side and the overriding pattern from DKs tenure is one of inconsistency and a poor win loss ratio.

If we happen to win a GS playing rugby similar to what we saw at the weekend then great. Those of us who slammed him up until now can hold up our hands and say fair play to him. He and his staff learned their lessons, albeit the long and hard way, and we look like we can move forward. However it's going to take consistently good performances and results across the whole 6 Nations for us to do that. This was 1 good game. We've had 2.5 good games all year (excluding the uncapped Fiji game). Out of 10 games a 25% return like that is very poor. So please let's not start talking about Grand Slams or Championship wins just yet eh. Especially not with the way the French are playing.

Jaysis, he can lip sync better than most of the chancers in the charts at the moment. GET HIM ON THE BENCH DECCIE, THE KIDS MULTI TALENTED!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ROG's entire contribution during the AIs was to kick the ball away to SA with the clock dead, ensuring we lost, and kicking a 22 dropout straight to an Argie ans then being run over leading directly to a try. That's is.

I'd be a better option on the bench at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Paddy's dad, Peter and I were friends years ago. Peter is completely mad but in a good way. If you ever end up in his company and there is drink about - run. Run for your life. Paddy's grandad, Stanley Jackson, was one of the best players I've ever seen. He played senior rugby at both Number 8 and at fullback.
    8 and 15! That's classic jurassic Ulster rugby.

My dad played against McBride and he said they put him out on the wing because he was lethal. Now he probably thinks Penney is the best coach in the country (although at times I think he's the sort who thinks he's an onion when he wakes up in the morning)

Podge_irl wrote: »
    ROG's entire contribution during the AIs was to kick the ball away to SA with the clock dead, ensuring we lost, and kicking a 22 dropout straight to an Argie ans then being run over leading directly to a try. That's is.

I'd be a better option on the bench at this point.

Actually, that's what the crowd was shouting when he came on. They were screaming, " Bring on Podge, bring on Podge." Sadly ROG and both his fans thought it was his accolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Paddy's dad, Peter and I were friends years ago. Peter is completely mad - but in a good way. If you ever end up in his company and there is drink about - run. Run for your life. Paddy's grandad, Stanley Jackson, was one of the best players I've ever seen. He played senior rugby at both Number 8 and at fullback.

Showing your age lad :D

Teferi wrote: »
    Showing your age lad :D
    I actually played against his grandad........

Matt Williams talking complete sense in today's times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1126/1224327094319.html

The less said about Thornley's latest pro-Kidney puff piece the better.
    Embarrassing.

Superb article. But imagine what he'd have wrote had we lost on Saturday!

But he won't.

But he might. I expect us though to have an OK 6N-Beat Scotland and Italy away, maybe beat Wales and beat England or France. This would leave us second or third and have the pro-kidneyites to proclaim it's the best we can do with the players we have. Thing is-and as Matt Williams pointed out this morning-it ain't. We have the players to win a minimum of 4 out of 5 with France at home being the only possible game that could go either way. Honestly right now they are the only team who should get the better of us over a 3 game series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I think that if we take it to France like we did in the first half in Paris in this year's 6N then we'd be in with a good shot. France are playing well, but then they're not really known for their consistency either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I think Matt Williams was being too kind to the team to be honest. Argentina well prepared and battle hardened ? More like apathetic and exhausted. They allowed us to steam roll them without ever putting up a fight. So I personally wouldnt be jotting it down as a win in the league of what we did to England or our hard fought win over the Aussies. We hammered a shít team same as we did the week before.

I know players can only play whats in front of them and I'm not saying anything bad about players of coaches in regards to the game but just as we cant declare our victory over Fiji to be proof we are a world class team neither can we use the game on Saturday to do it. We played one team who put up a fight and that was a horrendous Bok side and they beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Argentina apathetic about a game that decided their seeding position for the World Cup? Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 What The?

Interesting. So, in points per game he's behind:-

Dan Carter
    Jonny Wilkinson
    Neil Jenkins
    Diego Domiguez
    Stephen Jones
    Andrew Mehrtens
    Michael Lynagh
    Percy Montgomery
    Matt Burke
    Gavin Hastings
    Hugo Porta
    Grant Fox
    Morne Steyn
    Gonzalo Queseda.

He did manage to score 0.53 points per game more than Humphreys thopugh so that's that argument settled.

As for him having something still to give - yes he has. His farewell and thanks for the watch speech.
    A bit of respect for a man who has contributed over 1000 points playing for Ireland. Whatever his current form is I don't think any fan of a team should be so dismissive of its most capped player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement