Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭bilston

danthefan wrote: »
    Suppose it's as relevant here as anywhere, apparently Farrelly is gone from the Indo.

http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/

Interesting...and the piece was going so well until (like Farrelly has been known to do) he took a swipe at the "loonies" online. Of course the irony is that I bet all Irish rugby journalists at the very least read most of the online rugby forums even if they don't take part themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The explosion in numbers of loonies online has meant that there are lots of sources now that might influence public thinking ...

That's us lot by the way. Loonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The funny thing is, under most farrelly articles are a number of well written posts that dismantle his points. There's the odd retard, and occasional moronic flame war but a good chunk of it is usually very cogent.

Anyone know where he is going?

durkadurka wrote: »

hubbkle3_650x650.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

This is a double win all round, because for a long time the indo has been missing a good rugby journalist, and a village has been missing an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't know Kidney taught Farrelly and interesting backstory on Gerry and EOS.

I'm not too surprised though that Farrelly has gone, some of the comments below his articles in the Independent online were abit much but very voluminous in numbers (is that even a phrase?)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

durkadurka wrote: »
    The funny thing is, under most farrelly articles are a number of well written posts that dismantle his points. There's the odd retard, and occasional moronic flame war but a good chunk of it is usually very cogent.

Hence his ranting and raving against the internet. There's hundreds of people out there who know far more about the game than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

danthefan wrote: »
    Hence his ranting and raving against the internet. There's hundreds dozens of people out there who know far more less about the game than him.

FYP there Dan.

Look, Hugh made a conscious decision last season to try to make the jump from roving reporter to opinionated shock-jock. It didn't pan out for two reasons:

1) His blind loyalty to Kidney made any sort of objective analysis impossible for him, so he was effectively neutered as a columnist from the start.

2) Whether it was naivety or an eagerness to make a name for himself, he got into that war of words with the internet. Like invading Russia, it's a battle that can't be won and a more experienced guy would have known that.

I would say the final straw was the 'an Ulster win would be bad for Ireland' column, an act of sheer lunacy that his editor should never had let through.

Well, best of luck to him in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I find it surprising and refreshing that Fanning speaks so openly about the game and the viewpoints of his colleagues. I suspect he might be something of a pariah within his circle at this point. I've always found that journalists rarely comment on one another openly and very noticeably so in some cases.

It's interesting to see what circumstances have possibly formulated the stance of some of the journalists in this country. I never knew about Farrelly's links to DK previously. I knew he was a dyed in the wool Cork man but to have such an obvious tie to the national coach and to be so firmly and obviously biased in his writing is indicative of where the Independent's standards currently lie generally speaking.

still doesn't explain why he hates Ulster.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    I find it surprising and refreshing that Fanning speaks so openly about the game and the viewpoints of his colleagues. I suspect he might be something of a pariah within his circle at this point. I've always found that journalists rarely comment on one another openly and very noticeably so in some cases.

It's interesting to see what circumstances have possibly formulated the stance of some of the journalists in this country. I never knew about Farrelly's links to DK previously. I knew he was a dyed in the wool Cork man but to have such an obvious tie to the national coach and to be so firmly and obviously biased in his writing is indicative of where the Independent's standards currently lie generally speaking.

Farrelly's links to Kidney are interesting. I know that I was always very quick to defend Brian McLaughlin to fellow Ulster fans when he was getting a bit of stick and he coached me at school, now obviously I'm not a rugby journalist but still from my own experience I'm quite sure it's bound to have made Farrelly far less critical of Deccie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Well i for one will miss Farrelly; its like a darts player missing his darts board; the rugby threads on boards will be far quieter now that he is gone.

He really sparked alot of mayhem with his articles whether on purpose or because of some inert trollness within him.

Either way this circus has lost one of its favourite clowns for sure.

RIP Farrelly alert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    The explosion in numbers of loonies online has meant that there are lots of sources now that might influence public thinking ...

That's us lot by the way. Loonies.
    Wouldn't read too much into that usasge tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wouldn't read too much into that usasge tbh

Aye, I was just jesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

https://twitter.com/DeclanKidney101 Has anyone seen this fake Kidney page on Twitter. It's a riot. XD

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Meh! It doesn't capture any of Kidney's mannerism nor does it sound like anything he would say. Pretty poor really.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DeclanKidney101 Has anyone seen this fake Kidney page on Twitter. It's a riot. XD

Not even remotely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Found this tweet quite amusing:
    @jamieheaslip
    Jamie you left your signed 'Best of 5ive' album behind - Will bring it down to training later.

..but then I went on to read this and realised the guy is just being a knob
    @Nigelrefowens
    Hi Nige, tks for the shambolic display on Saturday, it certainly took some attention away from my appalling coaching skills.

wprathead wrote: »
    Found this tweet quite amusing:
    @jamieheaslip
    Jamie you left your signed 'Best of 5ive' album behind - Will bring it down to training later.

..but then I went on to read this and realised the guy is just being a knob
    @Nigelrefowens
    Hi Nige, tks for the shambolic display on Saturday, it certainly took some attention away from my appalling coaching skills.

Interesting that Australia at one stage today had two back rowers on the pitch aged 20 and 19. Can you imagine like...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Am I the only one who finds this Kidney (and ROG better than international class) stuff embarrassingly pathetic?

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who finds this Kidney (and ROG better than international class) embarrassingly pathetic?

No, you're not!

Alot of the so called humour is embarrassing.

I find the Kidney clock frankly cringe worthy.

We're supposedly all adults here but that's how children act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

When Declan Kidney is the coach of your country, laughter is all you have from stopping yourself from weeping into your green jersey in a corner.

But seriously, I think you'd have to be quite sensitive to be embarrassed by the ROG comments. Anyone can see that it's all harmless fun, if it's taken otherwise, it's down to the reader and not the poster (at least in most cases I've seen the 'above international class' joke used).
    The Kidney stuff can become pathetic though, as this twitter thing proves.

Love the Kidney clock though. Love. It.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Hagz wrote: »
    When Declan Kidney is the coach of your country, laughter is all you have from stopping yourself from weeping into your green jersey in a corner.

But seriously, I think you'd have to be quite sensitive to be embarrassed by the ROG comments. Anyone can see that it's all harmless fun, if it's taken otherwise, it's down to the reader and not the poster (at least in most cases I've seen the 'above international class' joke used).
    The Kidney stuff can become pathetic though, as this twitter thing proves.

Love the Kidney clock though. Love. It.

Its the standard of humour that is cringeworthy - Tommy Tiernan et al are not going to be challenged by any of the so-called 'comedians' who post here.:D

In other news - Geordan Murphy's book is being serialised in Sunday Times today (behind a paywall). Eddie gets it with both barrels!

Am I the only one who finds this Kidney (and ROG better than international class) embarrassingly pathetic?

Perhaps not embarrassingly pathetic but extremely tiresome and repetitive. It's the same jokes/comments made over and over.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Meh! It doesn't capture any of Kidney's mannerism nor does it sound like anything he would say. Pretty poor really.

Yeah reading on it got a bit cringe worthy. I did think the thing about "when I think of a coach I remove all reason" bit quite funny. The ROG sex jokes were just unpleasant and in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

What annoys me is people just taking cheap shots at Kidney. People who defend Kidney use it as ammunition, and it takes all these threads off track. The actual issue is lost in the mud slinging crap.

jm08 wrote: »
    Its the standard of humour that is cringeworthy - Tommy Tiernan et al are not going to be challenged by any of the so-called 'comedians' who post here.:D

In other news - Geordan Murphy's book is being serialised in Sunday Times today (behind a paywall). Eddie gets it with both barrels!

Tiernan's good but he's no where near top class. If you want to see a truly class Irish comic check out Dylan Moran. As for this ROG international thing where the hell did that come from?

jm08 wrote: »

Interesting reading all right.

It's interesting but does it actually tell us anything we didn't already know? EOS himself admitted that he had his preferred side that he settled on and those guys were the ones he would be using. EOS certainly seems to have had some major shortcomings in terms of man management but I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for Murphy from that extract. Seems to be wallowing in self pity a bit.

If you're an international full back, you're going to be roasted if you get skinned by a hooker. You shouldn't be expecting your coach to come out and defend you for that. I don't recall if EOS addressed it at all publicly but ROG made an offhand comment about it not being good enough in the RTE documentary. That's how it's viewed and no surprise.

Reading the full extract, he comes across as a nervous enough fellow with a level of self doubt. Many agreed that he wasn't the best option for the jersey and the extract seems to be an opportunity to have a pop. Glad to read the honesty but it's a bit of a mountain out of molehill considering he got the guts of 50 starts for Ireland under EOS and went on a Lions tour where EOS was the second in command.

• Advertisement

His defence seemed to playing on his mind alot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement