Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The English salary cap is £4m which is less then €5m
    Don't forget they can spend up to 240k extra on academy players which would mean a player salary bill of over €5m. This doesn't include all the other expenses clubs have such as staff wages, insurance, equipment, travel etc. Even with a few players' wages being paid directly by the IRFU, there couldn't be that big a gap in the real spending power between English clubs and Irish provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Higher wrote: »
    Wrong. Only a couple of people in Ireland actually have a nandos gold card. These people are Brian O'Driscoll, Rob Kearney, Gordon D'arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and Jamie Heaslip. Fitzgerald, Kearney and Heaslip would bring a group of players with them most days.

Wagamama is free for all Leinster players, including those in the academy.

Jesus Christ thats an exclusive club, it makes the coppers gold card look like a joke.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

errlloyd wrote: »
    Jesus Christ thats an exclusive club, it makes the coppers gold card look like a joke.

Birds in nandos actually taste nice unlike Coppers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

GerM wrote: »
    I'd like to think that most people realise they're nowhere near the earning level of football players. Whilst the aim of the article is to let people know that rugby players aren't set up for the rest of their days, it does seem a little out of touch with reality for the vast majority of people, throwing around serious figures as if they're the norm and it neglects to mention that they get a massive lump sum when they retire.

I'd say they have more opportunities than most other professional sportsmen too. Josh Lewsey was a management consultant and now a trader. I doubt many retired football players can say that.

I'd say they have more opportunities than most other professional sportsmen too. Josh Lewsey was a management consultant and now a trader. I doubt many retired football players can say that.

Basically playing for Leinster is a door into a lot of careers. Even if Horgan is terrible at law (not saying he is) you can guarantee a lot of law firms would employ him for the simple fact that he will be loved by clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Wrong. Only a couple of people in Ireland actually have a nandos gold card. These people are Brian O'Driscoll, Rob Kearney, Gordon D'arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and Jamie Heaslip. Fitzgerald, Kearney and Heaslip would bring a group of players with them most days.

Wagamama is free for all Leinster players, including those in the academy.

Whats wrong :confused: I'm not to sure what point your trying to make. Is it that those players you mention eat a lot of nandos and its free and its nothing got to do with tweeting about every time they go there?

wagamama food is relatively healthy so its hardly surprising that the Leinster academy are encouraged to go there.

No I'm just saying that the Nando's gold card isn't acquired by simply tweeting.

Its a Nandos gold card. Have you ever been to Nandos? Its heavenly.

No I'm just saying that the Nando's gold card isn't acquired by simply tweeting.

Its a Nandos gold card. Have you ever been to Nandos? Its heavenly.

I've had the real deal in Portugal and I love the food. You know you can buy the marinade now in the supermarket?

and I wouldn't think its the healthiest of meals - definately treat territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bamboozle wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley, Liam Toland and Matt Williams for me. no complaints with Quinlan though. Used like Bob Casey's articles.

I know this is an older discussion on this thread, but my fav Irish pundit by a country mile is Kurt McQuilkin.

jm08 wrote: »
    I've had the real deal in Portugal and I love the food. You know you can buy the marinade now in the supermarket?

and I wouldn't think its the healthiest of meals - definately treat territory.

It's chicken and spices.

Lean protein and low cal compared to similar portion sizing of other types of foods.

Pretty straightforward good food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The marinade/peri-peri sauce is mostly butter...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Lads... Rugby...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

.ak wrote: »
    Water, Vinegar, Onions, Lemons, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Chillies, Garlic, Spices, Stabiliser

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

tolosenc wrote: »
    Lads... Rugby...

Maybe it's a topic for another thread but I find the diet of rugby players and sportspeople in general pretty fascinating...

.ak wrote: »

its not, and even if it was, that's not a "bad food". It contains essential fats, yes its heavy on calories, but you don't eat a stick of it.

with regards to rugby players diets. Even the U18s Leinster players have nutrition classes. They had a "teach me how to cook X" at Wagamama where they got to pick items from the menu that were deemed to be fit for a rugby players diet.

During pre-season training these guys can be burning 3k calories a day absolutely no problem. they need to know what to eat and when to eat it, and they are given this information from the very very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ok if people want to discuss diet please start a new thread. Due to some posts being on a couple of things so I can't just move the current posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Josh Lewsey was a management consultant.
    He was the office photocopying boy when he was doing that job. It was a bit sad to see, if I'm honest. Terrific guy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

I am in stitches reading the last few pages. How the hell did the Ireland team talk thread turn into a full blown discussion on nandos and the ingredients of various spicy sauces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

TomLamp wrote: »
    I am in stitches reading the last few pages. How the hell did the Ireland team talk thread turn into a full blown discussion on nandos and the ingredients of various spicy sauces?
    Will all the Leinster players now stop going to nandos & start tweeting about Bear? Yawna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It's time for us to be more like Wales. Get Jackson or Madigan involved immediately. After the way Jackson performed last night I've never been so convinced it's time to drop ROG for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

For next years 6 Nations I hope we see Jackson and Marshall as the 2 main contenders for the replacement fly half position. We know what ROG can do and if we get injuries then call him up. We get nothing from him off the bench anymore.

On current form ROG shouldn't be going to New Zealand but I have no doubt that Kidney will select him for his experience.

Clegg wrote: »
    For next years 6 Nations I hope we see Jackson and Marshall as the 2 main contenders for the replacement fly half position. We know what ROG can do and if we get injuries then call him up. We get nothing from him off the bench anymore.

On current form ROG shouldn't be going to New Zealand but I have no doubt that Kidney will select him for his experience.

Marshall? Luke Marshall? He's not a 10.

Or was it a typo?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I assume he meant Jackson and Madigan. Couldn't agree more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

Heres my rankings on Irish outhalfs on current form

Sexton
    Madigan
    Jackson
    Humphreys
    O'Gara
    Keatley

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

danthefan wrote: »
    Marshall? Luke Marshall? He's not a 10.

Or was it a typo?
    I meant to type Madigan.

But we should also try out Paul Marshall at 9 for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

TomLamp wrote: »
    Heres my rankings on Irish outhalfs on current form

Sexton
    Madigan
    Jackson
    Humphreys
    O'Gara
    Keatley

:pac:

Unless you mean "current form" is one game.

Humphreys should be bottom of the list imo, he's dreadful. Ulster won despite him in Thomond.

:pac:

Unless you mean "current form" is one game.

Stringer is having a great run of games in the UK - motm against sarries and described as outstanding by the Guardian in the match report.

Are you keeping an eye on his matches Cleggy? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

jm08 wrote: »
    Stringer is having a great run of games in the UK - motm against sarries and described as outstanding by the Guardian in the match report.

Are you keeping an eye on his matches Cleggy? ;)

Has he started playing out half as well?

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    Has he started playing out half as well?

You'll have to ask Cleggy about that. He watches all strings games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement