Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Buffalo Wings with Franks Sauce

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know a lot of people will strongly disagree, but I find boiling the wings works very nicely. I boil them for about 10 minutes. At this stage they are cooked through fully, but still very tender. I've seem wings before that are done on the outside, but are still somewhat bloody around the bone and I guess that's the reason that I tried boiling.

After that I either grill and fry them for a few minutes to brown them up a bit.

Steaming works well but you have to let them cool and dry fully (on a rack) before putting them in a VERY hot oven for 15-20 mins to crisp up.
    Lovely moist meat that way.
    This is how the Chinese do crispy duck (except they deep fry it) after the steaming, cooling, drying process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Steaming works well but you have to let them cool and dry fully (on a rack) before putting them in a VERY hot oven for 15-20 mins to crisp up.
    Lovely moist meat that way.
    This is how the Chinese do crispy duck (except they deep fry it) after the steaming, cooling, drying process.

Might give that a try the next time.

I grill them while still hot. I was actually wondering if letting them go cold and then "shocking" them would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Lads I just got franks in the centra near CIT!!! Had to look twice but made the purchase. If you want it get it now cos it's just a trial methinks, and we all want it to be there for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm going to try to do some wings tomorrow - can somebody please make any amendments to this:

1. Buy Franks Red Hot Sauce (not the Buffalo one)
    2. Put wings in oven (for an hour) - no oil
    3. Put sauce over wings at end and then serve.

Also is this sauce going to mega hot or just nicely hot.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65,219 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

deelite wrote: »
    I'm going to try to do some wings tomorrow - can somebody please make any amendments to this:

1. Buy Franks Red Hot Sauce (not the Buffalo one)
    2. Put wings in oven (for an hour) - no oil
    3. Put sauce over wings at end and then serve.

It'll be nice enough. About 5.5 or 6 out of 10 :)

If you want to make it special, have a look here and pay attention to the posts from vibe666

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unkel wrote: »
    It'll be nice enough. About 5.5 or 6 out of 10 :)

If you want to make it special, have a look here and pay attention to the posts from vibe666
    ah, you're too kind unkel. :)

i was actually in the chinese supermarket at the luas stop behind the jervis centre yesterday and got some ghee (the buttery sort :D) so i'll be giving that a go instead of butter in the next few days to see how much of a difference it makes over butter. :)

still need to find somewhere else convenient that does la chinata smoked paprika too, since my local supermarkets stopped doing it. it's just not the same without :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,219 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vibe666 wrote: »
    still need to find somewhere else convenient that does la chinata smoked paprika too, since my local supermarkets stopped doing it. it's just not the same without :(

Amazon.co.uk do it. £2.50 plus the shipping which is a bit hefty at £4.99. Worth it?

Sainsburys sell it for £1.79 if you're ever in the North / UK

ta. we'll be up the north in the next month or so, so I'll have a look then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Had these last night - made a quick dip to go with them, sour cream, gorgonzola cheese & cap of vinegar, mixed with black pepper

delish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

Have never had the elephant and castle wings but have made these several times.I cant decide whether I like them are not :D
    even with butter added to the franks they are very vinegary and bitter,is this the way they are supposed to taste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I made the wings on Saturday and tasted them and thought - not for me - but then I dipped them into the blue cheese dip and they were fantastic. Thanks - I'll be doing them again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

vibe666 wrote: »
    ah, you're too kind unkel. :)

Tesco do there own brand of smoked paprika not as pungent as the chinata but it does the job pretty well.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Have never had the elephant and castle wings but have made these several times.I cant decide whether I like them are not :D
    even with butter added to the franks they are very vinegary and bitter,is this the way they are supposed to taste?
    you need to cook out the franks in the butter for a few minutes if you're finding it too vinegary. as the vinegar cooks out you'll notice the vinegar aroma start to subside so you know when it's ready for you to toss in your wings.

some people like the vinegar, but i prefer it toned down a bit too.

the best way i've found to do the job quickly and effectively is to melt the butter and franks in a wok and then once i've finished draining the wings after frying them, i just throw them into the wok and mix round with a wide plastic spatula (the type you'd use to flip eggs in a non-stick pan).

only takes a few seconds to make sure you get everything 100% coated in sauce then and you're ready to serve with no chance of the cooking heat getting lost whilst you toss your wings cos they're still on the hob in your wok. :)

Advertisement