Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Buffalo Wings with Franks Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Much better results had when frying.

Coat with seasoned flour. Bang them in the deep fat fryer at 180 or more for around 12-15 mins (golden brown), then toss in the sauce(franks and ghee). Heat the solid ghee in the pan to melt, then use fluid measurements.

This is the best blue cheese dip in my opinion.

Blue Cheese Dip

3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (i use danish blue)
    salt and pepper
    Combine all ingredients; chill for an hour or two. Serve as a dip for the Buffalo wings. Makes about 1 1/2 cups of blue cheese dip.

edit: make sure you joint the wings and remove the tip(stating the obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Im stupid, how do you mean joint the wings and remove the tip???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Love Franks wings - I do them an easier way - I put them in my oven at 180 for an hour (makes them lovely and crispy) Take them out and let them cool down for a minute or so, then get a small plastic bag, put the wings in it & then add the franks sauce, shake them until they are all coated (plastic bag is brill for coating them all properly) and et voila! Franks wings - and they do taste very like the elephant + castle - without the deep frying and all the butter

They are a massive favourite in my house - and as a treat, get some sour cream, ad some white vinegar, hunks of blue cheese, some black pepper and lemon juice, and you've got a lovely dip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I bake them too but I baste em every 10 mins or so with Franks and then an extra dollop at the end, I find it stays on longer.

Marcus, when you buys wings they usually come all in one large piece, which actually breaks down into the smaller pieces you get in restaurants and the like.

So when you buy them you need to joint them, which means cut into 2 pieces, the long thin bit and the drumsticky bit, and then discard the very thin tip at the top of the wing (with no meat)

See?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Can someone answer me a few questions as I want to try and have a go at doing these tomorrow.

Where do I get plain chicken wings? Can they just be bought frozen from a supermarket or do I need to go to a butchers? Also do you leave the skin on?

I'm thinking I'd rather bake them because my deep fat fryer is in need of an oil change and I reckon if I fried them they would just taste like chips?

Temply your instructions sound the easiest for a beginner like me. Might give it a shot that way but an hour seems like a long time to have them in the oven, do you cover them in tin foil as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

SuperValu sell a decent size pack of them exactly like they are in the youtube vid above for 2.99.

Can someone answer me a few questions as I want to try and have a go at doing these tomorrow.

Where do I get plain chicken wings? Can they just be bought frozen from a supermarket or do I need to go to a butchers? Also do you leave the skin on?

I'm thinking I'd rather bake them because my deep fat fryer is in need of an oil change and I reckon if I fried them they would just taste like chips?

Temply your instructions sound the easiest for a beginner like me. Might give it a shot that way but an hour seems like a long time to have them in the oven, do you cover them in tin foil as well?

Plain wings in the poultry fridge department, usually €3ish for a kilo. Skin most definitely on!!!! Its all about the skin. they need an hour in the oven, otherwise maybe 30 mins in oven then 5 mins under a hot grill each side to crispy up.

Definitely best deep fried though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

btw, the knife in that vid must be seriously sharp. When I do mine it's like choppin' firewood :D

Swampy wrote: »

AH i see! thank you!

• Advertisement

Superquinn do lovely SQ chicken wings for only 3 quid and you get loads. You won't need to buy them frozen - they'll be in the meat/poulty aisle. SKIN ON!! Don't take the skin off.

I don't know if they'd taste like chips, especially with Franks! I bake them and they're lovely and crispy. Don't cover them in tin foil, it's literally as easy as bunging them into a hot (180) oven for about 45 mins. Done.

i presume if its in the oven these are being cooked then they are probably okay to eat if your trying to lose weight, obviously not every day but maybe once a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tdiman

Some great tips and tricks here, thanks all!

When baking, does it help to dip them in seasoned flour as well, or is that only when deep frying?

Going to have to get the sauce today, then the wings and try a few variations of these!

tdiman wrote: »
    Some great tips and tricks here, thanks all!

When baking, does it help to dip them in seasoned flour as well, or is that only when deep frying?

Going to have to get the sauce today, then the wings and try a few variations of these!

I personally wouldn't bother. I would however season them and toss the in a bowl with some olive oil so they are lightly covered. Helps with the crispyness.

On a side note, anyone else get pissed off because the hot sauce coating makes it difficult for blue cheese dip to stick?

I personally wouldn't bother. I would however season them and toss the in a bowl with some olive oil so they are lightly covered. Helps with the crispyness.

On a side note, anyone else get pissed off because the hot sauce coating makes it difficult for blue cheese dip to stick?

must try your olive oil tip Swampy!

the wings don't be hanging around long enough for the dip to unstick in my house! down the hatch in 5 secs! :D

i presume if its in the oven these are being cooked then they are probably okay to eat if your trying to lose weight, obviously not every day but maybe once a week?

It really depends on what kind of a diet you're on, but my thoughts would be that they are way too calorific to eat (especially as you end up eating so many of them - i do anyway) when you're trying to lose weight. So I'd avoid unless you have the will power to eat only about 5 at a time.

Thanks! I could prob only fit 4 at a stretch anyway, my mouth is small:( :pac::pac::pac:

Fair play to you! I normally eat about 15 at a time!! Nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I steam mine for about 10 minutes and let cool/dry on a rack in the fridge and then put them in a very hot oven for about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tdiman wrote: »
    anyone care to give some step by step instructions on the cooking process from start to finish. I've asked a few folks about getting the elephany and castle recipe just right - some mentioned oven baking the wings orther have mentioned deep frying? Nails by Sinead - you mention 'I always fry the chicken wings in corn flour an flour'....?

Here ya go. Probably better than they serve them in E&C these days :D

The crucial bits are: deep fry, the coating, use Frank's original (not the buffalo wing sauce), use ghee (clarified butter, not normal butter) and to boil the sauce to reduce acidity

Enjoy :D

• Advertisement

This is the best blue cheese dip in my opinion.

Blue Cheese Dip

3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (i use danish blue)
    salt and pepper
    Combine all ingredients; chill for an hour or two. Serve as a dip for the Buffalo wings. Makes about 1 1/2 cups of blue cheese dip.

That looks promising. I'm gonna try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't think "franks wings" and diet should really be mentioned in the same sentence. :p

for a start, you have the single fattiest bit of a chicken with the highest skin to meat ratio, then you have butter with the franks and then probably blue cheese, mayo and/or sour cream in your blue cheese sauce.

doing them in the oven because deep frying is unhealthy is like going into burger king and ordering a large double whopper with cheese & bacon meal, onion rings and a diet coke! :D

just use a deep fryer up high with good fresh oil and the wings will likely only end up with a similar amount of oil to tossing them in oil before ovening them (imho, no evidence to back this up).

i'm still waiting for someone to be adventurous and try the boneless thighs instead. ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm still waiting for someone to be adventurous and try the boneless thighs instead. ;)

I did :)

Little tricky to get the bones out while keeping the thigh intact / separating into 3 bits, but the end result was as good as the wings. Like you said :D

Mrs unkel isn't keen on biting into things with bones, so I'm gonna surprise her with the boneless "wings" one of these days. Thanks again for the tips!

i don't think "franks wings" and diet should really be mentioned in the same sentence. :p

for a start, you have the single fattiest bit of a chicken with the highest skin to meat ratio, then you have butter with the franks and then probably blue cheese, mayo and/or sour cream in your blue cheese sauce.

doing them in the oven because deep frying is unhealthy is like going into burger king and ordering a large double whopper with cheese & bacon meal, onion rings and a diet coke! :D

just use a deep fryer up high with good fresh oil and the wings will likely only end up with a similar amount of oil to tossing them in oil before ovening them (imho, no evidence to back this up).

For our dinner yesterday, I marinated chicken breasts in Franks for over 8 hours - left them out for an hour and a half before cooking in the oven, stuffed with cheddar cheese, chilli's and garlic, wrapped in parma ham... Had them covered in tin foil, after 25 mins, opened up the tin foil & poured the last of the Franks marinade over them & cooked for a further 15 mins - pretty damn tasty!

I use Franks where ever I can - even over popcorn!

temply wrote: »
    For our dinner yesterday, I marinated chicken breasts in Franks for over 8 hours - left them out for an hour and a half before cooking in the oven, stuffed with cheddar cheese, chilli's and garlic, wrapped in parma ham... Had them covered in tin foil, after 25 mins, opened up the tin foil & poured the last of the Franks marinade over them & cooked for a further 15 mins - pretty damn tasty!

I use Franks where ever I can - even over popcorn!
    sounds very tasty, but be careful pouring on the extra marinade at the end as it's been soaking in raw chicken and you're adding it to almost cooked chicken, so be sure youcoook it out properly after that or you'll end up with the chicken squits! :pac:

i sometimes cut up a whole chicken into portions to fry, kinda like an ultra tasty franks KFC feast and do it how the really good fried chicken places in the US do it, by soaking in buttermilk for 48 hours beforehand in the fridge for the ultimate taste and succulence.

then i just coat in flour/cornflour & smoked paprika and fry off and then toss in some cooked out franks & butter as you would with wings/thighs and serve with a big smile. :D

sounds very tasty, but be careful pouring on the extra marinade at the end as it's been soaking in raw chicken and you're adding it to almost cooked chicken, so be sure youcoook it out properly after that or you'll end up with the chicken squits! :pac:

:D

The few tablespoons of sauce is going onto hot chicken and then going into the oven for 15 mins.
    It would be brought to a safe temp after about 5 minutes (or even possibly just by the heat of the chicken).
    There is being cautious and there is being paranoid!

The few tablespoons of sauce is going onto hot chicken and then going into the oven for 15 mins.
    It would be brought to a safe temp after about 5 minutes (or even possibly just by the heat of the chicken).
    and then there's being someone who's had food poisoning from something very similar and spent hours on the toilet thinking about how they never want to have THAT happen to them again! :D

I have been very ill only once in my life. I was about 20, healthy, strong and very fit. I got a 42 degree Celsius (108 degrees Fahrenheit) fever and I was foaming at the mouth and I was delirious. All because of eating chicken livers I hadn't properly frozen / defrosted / cooked

You're obviously well aware of food safety and you're not taking any risks the way you cook the chicken and use the sauce as you have clarified, but your reaction to vibe666's genuine and friendly warning could have been a bit more dignified, couldn't it?

I meant no offence to vibe666 and apologise if I did cause any.

I just get frustrated when I see people all over binning or completely overcooking food 'just to be safe'. Being safe is, obviously, a good thing but learning where the parameters of safety lies is also a good and sensible thing.
    I know some people here would consider my attitude and some of my practices as somewhat cavalier but I have never given myself of anyone else food poisoning (sorry, I lie! I once gave myself food poisoning when, very young and drunk and stupid BBQing in the dark at a party - but no one else got sick as I was testing the doneness of the pork and chicken by biting into it!!:eek:)
    Aside from that stupid event in my life (where, thankfully, I was the only one to suffer) I am actually very careful, particularly with raw meat and more particularly with chicken and pork. But most pork cooked in this country is rendered so dry by overcooking as to be completely unpalatable - same goes for turkey. I get cross!!

I'm not suggesting that vibe666 was advocating the ruining of said chicken - I just react like a bull to a red flag to what I consider 'over-cautiousness' regarding food safety.

Careless/ignorance = Danger
    Caution/education/good sense = Good, safe food
    Over caution = Often ruined food and waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I know a lot of people will strongly disagree, but I find boiling the wings works very nicely. I boil them for about 10 minutes. At this stage they are cooked through fully, but still very tender. I've seen wings before that are done on the outside, but are still somewhat bloody around the bone and I guess that's the reason that I tried boiling.

After that I either grill and fry them for a few minutes to brown them up a bit.

Advertisement