Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallon selling out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Tallon wrote: »
    I would jump like a kangaroo at it, but I would never charge the people that got me to that stage.

It would be a dream job, but i'm not going to burn people to get to that stage

See I don't think he's charging the people who got him to that stage. His 75,000 subs are still getting 2-3 free videos a day to watch, which is way ahead of any other commentator on YouTube. But he is charging for extra services on top of what he still puts out every day for free.

Have you ever played any online games like Wild West/Tribal Wars? Basically you get the basic game for free, but can pay for the extra addon functionality. I see what they are doing as similar to this. Videos for free, extra stuff like friend requests for payment.

I'm not saying I'm fully okay with it, as it smacks a bit of prostituing your gaming out, but they are looking at it as a way of making money, and commerce isn't always nice and shiney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

Tallon wrote: »
    Nah, but it does have blue tiger

He should have paid the extra few bob and got the "hello Kitty" one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

shawpower wrote: »
    I must be unique on these boards. I disagree with most of what's been said about him.

1. So what if he's fat. What does that matter in the world of console gaming? (and no, I'm not obese)
    2. OMG!?! A nerd playing MW2?? Who'd have thought it!!
    3. $180 on a controller? What's the problem. His hobby is gaming. I spent more than that on a Ping driver last year, and about €60 on a set of headphones this year. I get great pleasure out of both, so money well spent imho.
    4. Money for Friend Requests. Yeah, okay I'm not a fan of this idea. But to be fair, I think it's purely a way of culling the number he gets rather than expecting to make $1,000's out of it. He's got over 75,000 subscribers, which while not as high as Hutch/SeaNanners, is pretty damn high. So I'm sure he gets plagued by requests and messages. He's stated that he prefers to play alone, so this is a way of trying to reduce the number. The deleting of FR's on video is another way of him trying to reduce this I suspect.
    5. I've seen a few of his video's where guys spend the game following him around shooting beside him to show where he is on the map. Other ones where guys just chase him down trying to kill him in particular or to shoot down his air support. Yeah, big deal maybe. But if it's happening to you constantly, I'm sure it'd p1ss everyone off.

I'm not a fanboy of the guy. I watch some of his video's, and he's quite outspoken on stuff, but that's his perogative. His manner winds people up, and he gets a lot of hate messages out of it. I just think he's an easy target because of how he looks/talks etc.

Have to agree with you there. He's always struck me as a bit of a douche, but a damn good player.

Add to that, who gives a fcuk what he looks like or how much he spends?

Christ, I've known people quit their jobs to game. That's a lot worse than an expensive controller.

Have to agree with you there. He's always struck me as a bit of a douche, but a damn good player.

Add to that, who gives a fcuk what he looks like or how much he spends?

Christ, I've known people quit their jobs to game. That's a lot worse than an expensive controller.

yeah, that's about right. Don't agree with him on a lot of stuff, but his knowledge of weapons in his early videos was thorough, he knows about history of war etc, he has some decent ideas about how to improve the game, and he does put out a lot of videos for people to learn from (if you follow his camping style). Basically, he isn't actually the ignorant hick people make him out to be.

If you ever watch Woody, he comes across as a genuine nice guy. And Woody likes WoR, which suggests to me that WoR's actual persona isn't as bad as people make out. But he certainly camps/lurks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

I must be unique on these boards. I disagree with most of what's been said about him.

1. So what if he's fat. What does that matter in the world of console gaming? (and no, I'm not obese)
    2. OMG!?! A nerd playing MW2?? Who'd have thought it!!
    3. $180 on a controller? What's the problem. His hobby is gaming. I spent more than that on a Ping driver last year, and about €60 on a set of headphones this year. I get great pleasure out of both, so money well spent imho.
    4. Money for Friend Requests. Yeah, okay I'm not a fan of this idea. But to be fair, I think it's purely a way of culling the number he gets rather than expecting to make $1,000's out of it. He's got over 75,000 subscribers, which while not as high as Hutch/SeaNanners, is pretty damn high. So I'm sure he gets plagued by requests and messages. He's stated that he prefers to play alone, so this is a way of trying to reduce the number. The deleting of FR's on video is another way of him trying to reduce this I suspect.
    5. I've seen a few of his video's where guys spend the game following him around shooting beside him to show where he is on the map. Other ones where guys just chase him down trying to kill him in particular or to shoot down his air support. Yeah, big deal maybe. But if it's happening to you constantly, I'm sure it'd p1ss everyone off.

I'm not a fanboy of the guy. I watch some of his video's, and he's quite outspoken on stuff, but that's his perogative. His manner winds people up, and he gets a lot of hate messages out of it. I just think he's an easy target because of how he looks/talks etc.

+1. he is a bit of a knob but he uploads 2-3 good videos a day and no one can blame him for trying to make money off it. people resort to calling him fat because its the only thing they can find to criticise.

$180 on a controller is nothing if its your hobby. are people who buy expensive snooker cues, football boots, airsoft guns etc. crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Shammy wrote: »
    180 on a controller........first off i dont think he paid anything for it, i think viking said ,
    " hey wings we'll give you a free modded joypad if you put up a video saying that you use it."
    With the amount of fanboys he has i'd say viking were swamped with orders.

A ping golfclub will last you 10 plus years, you should get a couple of years out of the headset too.How long would you get out of a joypad ? (playing for a couple of hours everyday)

*Puts on work hat*

Golf clubs(notably drivers) have hit the wall technology wise. A club can last 25 years if maintained consistently well.

Back on topic, I really do not see the point in a modded controller worth $180. But eh whatever floats his boat.

People here and everywhere seem to rate the guy, that's fair enough.. but it's one thing rating him as a good player in general and another thing being a good pub player. The latter of which he is.

People here and everywhere seem to rate the guy, that's fair enough.. but it's one thing rating him as a good player in general and another thing being a good pub player. The latter of which he is.

I don't "rate" him as such. I do watch some of his videos at times, and have picked up a few things from him. But I do agree that he's probably just a good pub player.

I don't "rate" him as such. I do watch some of his videos at times, and have picked up a few things from him. But I do agree that he's probably just a good pub player.

My bad mate. Didn't mean you as such actually, it was a generalized comment. Majority of people on YouTube and on here think he's the dogs bollocks likewise Hutch and whole host of the Machinima folk.

Hutch has said himself he's a very good pub player but is useless when it came to the comp stuff. Fairly sure that was a big reason why he left OpTic.

Having read back my previous post, being a bit harsh with WoR, he's a very good pub player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I really want to go to this pub you's keep talking about :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

I watch wings' vids because he's a good player. I think he's a dick of the highest order tbh. In one of his vid's he's talking about putting in 17 hr days of mw2. Anyone who plays that much obviously isnt well adjusted!

Most people I reckon want to be better at the game, but its just a game... Some idiot who charges people to become their friend doesnt deserve so much attention.

I personally find SeaNanners to be a legend. He comes across as a real nice guy like. Maybe I should start uploading videos.. call it the call of duty diaries: a less than average player!

My PSN tag is davecro1 if anyone would like to play with me (n/h)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Tbh, I probably never would have heard of him if it wasn't for it coming up here. I generally don't bother looking up vids of people who do this stuff as a job. Sure it'd be cool to do something like playing games for a job, but as it is I just play to enjoy it (or try to), so watching vids of people who spend 17hrs or whatever in one sitting playing just doesn't appeal to me. Part of the reason I don't like WoW I guess too :P

My bad mate. Didn't mean you as such actually, it was a generalized comment. Majority of people on YouTube and on here think he's the dogs bollocks likewise Hutch and whole host of the Machinima folk.

Hutch has said himself he's a very good pub player but is useless when it came to the comp stuff. Fairly sure that was a big reason why he left OpTic.

Having read back my previous post, being a bit harsh with WoR, he's a very good pub player.

In fairness, competitive gaming's not for fun. It's a very different beast. Also, realistically, no-one really wants to see that.

The likes of WoR and so on are so popular because they excel in the only field most people are aware exists.

In fairness, competitive gaming's not for fun. It's a very different beast. Also, realistically, no-one really wants to see that.

The likes of WoR and so on are so popular because they excel in the only field most people are aware exists.

Disagree with you Joe. I think a large amount of people know of it. The problem is, people cannot grasp how big the step up is from public games to that in the competitive scene. People here do not rate Frag movies it seems yet rate average public montages.

Disagree with you Joe. I think a large amount of people know of it. The problem is, people cannot grasp how big the step up is from public games to that in the competitive scene. People here do not rate Frag movies it seems yet rate average public montages.

The reason I said that is that I used to play WoW with a few lads who'd been competitive gamers, and one of my RL mates used to be one. A lot of people don't really get that there is such a scene. As far as they're concerned public matches are all that there are.

I do agree though that the majority of people just don't get how hard the competitive stuff could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Ade , you've seen some of my vids , i'm fair to average player , In public rooms i do ok , when i used to play clan matches i used do a hell of a lot better, it is a step up and the game is played imo properly, but at the same time i wouldnt say all of the best players play clan matches , i might be wrong but clan age is about 14/15 up to 25 , if you are on a good team it requires time and travel and money , before sponsership was hard to get and its nice to see so many teams being sponsered nowadays.
    Unfortunatley there is sometimes an attitude and arrogance that comes with some good players, "i play for xyz team so i am so much better than you because you just play in pub matches".

I did have have a point to make but its gone clean out of my head lol , anyway i do enjoy frags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ade , you've seen some of my vids , i'm fair to average player , In public rooms i do ok , when i used to play clan matches i used do a hell of a lot better, it is a step up and the game is played imo properly, but at the same time i wouldnt say all of the best players play clan matches , i might be wrong but clan age is about 14/15 up to 25 , if you are on a good team it requires time and travel and money , before sponsership was hard to get and its nice to see so many teams being sponsered nowadays.
    Unfortunatley there is sometimes an attitude that comes with some good players, "i play for xyz team so i am so much better than you because you just play in pub matches".

I did have have a point to make but its gone clean out of my head lol , anyway i do enjoy frags

Everything is done online these days.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Everything is done online these days.

Lan events , where the big prizes are

Lan events , where the big prizes are

They are only for the very top teams. Plus can you tell me of any lan events in europe for ps3 mw2?

They are only for the very top teams. Plus can you tell me of any lan events in europe for ps3 mw2?

Like i said before its a long time since i had anything to do with clans , shouldnt you know that answer yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Agh, too many long replies to lead!

WoR, I think at least, has the attitude he has now due to the amount of sh1t given to him by all the trolls etc on Youtube. As was already said Woody is friends with him and so are a lot of others. I've heard the podcasts 'painkiller already' where they just have a chat about random stuff for an hour and he comes across a lot better there

• Advertisement

Unfortunatley there is sometimes an attitude that comes with some good players, "i play for xyz team so i am so much better than you because you just play in pub matches".

The average vids comment wasn't a pop at anyone in particular I just have to add firstly. It was aimed at the Youtube community in general. Seems like every tom, dick and harry has a HD PVR, easycap or whatever and IMO it's ruining COD on Youtube.

I've said once or twice I enjoyed a couple of vids from yourself(only seen a few admittedly) likewise Tallon and bohrio(?). If I'm going to watch pub vids, they have to entertain me. You attack from start so I enjoy your vids ;)

Regarding the rest of your comment. I was more referring to the competitive gaming based on sites like GameBattles and consolegaming.eu
    I would love to see the likes of WoR, SeaNanners, blametruth, etc play at this level and post some vids.

The pro level ie: where LAN events take place for ridiculous large sums of money is a completely different matter all together and one 99.9% won't ever play at. I'd love to say otherwise.

I know(I've been PM'ed about by someone here :pac:) that I come across as smug regarding my ability and playing down others as well. But like I've always maintained. I'm a decent COD player if anything on the comp scene, nothing more. SnD on MW2 I frankly suck(opposite to COD4). Give me Sabotage, CTF and Demolition. Good times to be had :)

Regarding the rest of your comment. I was more referring to the competitive gaming based on sites like GameBattles and consolegaming.eu
    I would love to see the likes of WoR, SeaNanners, blametruth, etc play at this level and post some vids.

The reason not is probably because they are lone wolf's and disregard team work.(maybe)

I know(I've been PM'ed about by someone here :pac:) that I come across as smug regarding my ability and playing down others as well. But like I've always maintained. I'm a decent COD player if anything on the comp scene, nothing more. SnD on MW2 I frankly suck(opposite to COD4). Give me Sabotage, CTF and Demolition. Good times to be had :)
    Tbf i wasnt having a pop at you, with regards to your posts i find them honest and you let it be known what you like and dont like, i was referring to the general clan population , on some gaming forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

how do they sort out the hosting when theres big money on the line :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

Bareknuckle first blood brawl.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

For MW2 I think it's over 2 maps, and they get one lad on one team to host the first one, then one on the other team to do the next one. Probably sort that by way of a private match or something.

Or the bareknuckle brawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Denny M wrote: »
    For MW2 I think it's over 2 maps, and they get one lad on one team to host the first one, then one on the other team to do the next one. Probably sort that by way of a private match or something.

Or the bareknuckle brawl.

the bareknuckle brawl sounds better tbf

Like i said before its a long time since i had anything to do with clans , shouldnt you know that answer yourself ?

Havent heard of any tbh, just asking

There is never big money on the line for online tournaments. Tournaments online are usually sponsored by a company who provide some free stuff.e.g last mw2 ps3 tournament was for keyboards and signatures :pac:
    For a tournament match usually someone who isnt from either team hosts.

Havent heard of any tbh, just asking

Apologies , i assumed you were being smart, there are usually a few on , i know there were 2 big ones in Dublin a couple of months back , both for ps3 and 360, from what i hear theres usually one on every 2 months or so.
    There is never big money on the line for online tournaments. Tournaments online are usually sponsored by a company who provide some free stuff.e.g last mw2 ps3 tournament was for keyboards and signatures :pac:
    For a tournament match usually someone who isnt from either team hosts.

And all i ever got was a j-peg trophy :p

Here's his most recent video.

So on one side you see humour/arrogance with the title calling himself overpowered when he goes on a very nice streak with the Famas. But on the flipside, the second post down is someone saying "you're not overpowered, just overweight".

He gets a lot of hate. So I think that could be why he gives his subs stick.

• Advertisement

Here's his most recent video.

So on one side you see humour/arrogance with the title calling himself overpowered when he goes on a very nice streak with the Famas. But on the flipside, the second post down is someone saying "you're not overpowered, just overweight".

He gets a lot of hate. So I think that could be why he gives his subs stick.

You'd think someone would have lashed a nade/semtex/hell even a noob tube at him.

Nice to see him not staying within a 2 yard radius.... oh wait a sec :pac: :pac: :pac:

Advertisement