Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to update iPhone 3GS to 4.0 os?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Pittens wrote: »
    That in itself is a problem from me. Unlike people who love multi-tasking and use the lack of it as a stick to beat Apple with I admire their decision to not use multi-tasking originally. id safari is not suspended it will prob. eat into battery life a bit.

I dont care if a page fails to cache and reloads, battery is more important.

"Now you can run your favorite third-party apps — and switch between them instantly — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.1"

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

so battery draining isn't supposed to be an issue but i suppose like i noticed in the first few days with my iphone i couldn't stop playing with it and thus the battery drained quicker, where as now i wouldn't play with it as much and i can get 2 days out of it!

also i read online its being released at 10am PST....so wooooo :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

nulabert wrote: »
    Had same problem with back up, try this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055891536
    Thanks, but those are the steps I've tried with no joy. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

"Now you can run your favorite third-party apps — and switch between them instantly — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.1"

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

so battery draining isn't supposed to be an issue but i suppose like i noticed in the first few days with my iphone i couldn't stop playing with it and thus the battery drained quicker, where as now i wouldn't play with it as much and i can get 2 days out of it!

also i read online its being released at 10am PST....so wooooo :pac:

I recently got my 3GS and noticed the battery wasn't great compared to my N95, even though they have the same features, Then I noticed how much I was using my iPhone( as well as texting ) for browsing emails, apps etc, I've tested it and got 32 hours of battery with light use and 20% power left but usually I use it much more than that :D

10am pst is 5pm here! I think :)

Okay new question for a different approach.

In trying to solve my backup woes I've deleted my old backups to no avail. I have however backed up (via windows) all my photos and videos. And my music is done manually anyway.

Once I install OS 4.0 it's going to give me the option of restoring from a backup, or as a "new phone". Given I don't have a backup - what am I going to lose as a new phone? Text messages? Bookmarks? Random app settings? I can live with that.

I assume I can reinstall all my apps via iTunes and sync all my contacts back on?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Dades wrote: »
    Okay new question for a different approach.

In trying to solve my backup woes I've deleted my old backups to no avail. I have however backed up (via windows) all my photos and videos. And my music is done manually anyway.

Once I install OS 4.0 it's going to give me the option of restoring from a backup, or as a "new phone". Given I don't have a backup - what am I going to lose as a new phone? Text messages? Bookmarks? Random app settings? I can live with that.

I assume I can reinstall all my apps via iTunes and sync all my contacts back on?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

You will lose everything such as text messages, saved passwords, pictures that haven't been synced, bookmarks, known wifi networks etc. You can re-sync all your apps, music, and stuff alright. I'd double check that my contacts are stored elsewhere though (e.g. Address Book on the Mac).

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    You will lose everything such as text messages, saved passwords, pictures that haven't been synced, bookmarks, known wifi networks etc. You can re-sync all your apps, music, and stuff alright. I'd double check that my contacts are stored elsewhere though (e.g. Address Book on the Mac).
    Cheers, that's what I thought.

Contacts are synced with Windows Address Book. I already deleted (and reinstalled) all my apps in trying to get a backup moving so that doesn't worry me much. Might make note of my email settings, and check I've my home WEP key to hand.

So really it's only text messages I'll lose - meh - I can live with that. :)

EDIT - Just noticed I can sync my bookmarks with my PC copy of Safari and "Notes" in Outlook - nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

Lads i dunno about ye but my battery is gone to the dogs, even when phone is in standby mode the battery is going down 1% every 10 15 mins approx which is alot worse than it was..... :mad::mad: Not happy, anyone else find this???

Advertisement