Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to update iPhone 3GS to 4.0 os?

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Can't find too much info on this anywhere, heard the official release is tomorrow?

iTunes is saying my iphone software is up to date but it's still on v3.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

It hasn't been offically released yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just done it there now..took about 1hr in total

20100617-gxa69c3qsg2t8u8xu79jayw8x6.jpg

20100617-fwedytbkn3urpygr6mgbjsk4uu.jpg

Full instructions here..

http://www.iphonexpert.com/how-to-download-ios4-iphone-ipod-touch-gm-firmware-itunes-9-2-beta/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I thought I read that iOS 4 was being released on Monday, which would make sense considering the iPhone 4 isn't being released until Thursday, given last year's timings.

Johnmb wrote: »
    I thought I read that iOS 4 was being released on Monday, which would make sense considering the iPhone 4 isn't being released until Thursday, given last year's timings.

26th is the release date, some of us have no patience though and couldn't wait.. :)

Let's not forget those if us on ios4 it's not the final product, I have noticed one or 2 bugs with safari, unless your dying to check it out, I'd hold ofF

• Advertisement

BOBBY wrote: »
    Let's not forget those if us on ios4 it's not the final product, I have noticed one or 2 bugs with safari, unless your dying to check it out, I'd hold of

I'd say it has to be the finished product, what errors did you get, working fine for me here at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd say it has to be the finished product, what errors did you get, working fine for me here at the moment..

It's not, I thought it was just a dev release, so bugs can be reported and they can be ironed out before the release date..?

it's for dev's but anyone can download the gold release, i'll struggle on until monday with it, one thing i'm cursing already, you can't set the network to 3G only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In software production, Gold Master is usually the version sent off for final release, so unless some major bugs are found, I'd say it the GM version that I and others here have installed early is the same as the final release. I assume the reason to release it to Devs is for them to get their software working with the final release, rather than for them to test it for bugs. Probaly the reason that the installation restrictions have been lifted on it too, so Devs can test their software on a wide variety of devices, without having to have them all registered as Dev devices.

Only issue I've found is that nested playlists aren't supported in the iPod app on my 3GS - despite this being a published feature of iOS4. A folder containing playlists in iTunes shows up as a big playlist just containing all the songs in the sub playlists when transferred to the iPhone. Apple explicitly mentions nested playlists in the iOS4 page for the iPod Touch, but doesn't mention it on the equivalent page for the iPhone, so maybe it's a Touch only feature, although I can't think why.

is there an instruction book somewhere, how do you create folders for apps etc?

• Advertisement

it's for dev's but anyone can download the gold release, i'll struggle on until monday with it, one thing i'm cursing already, you can't set the network to 3G only.

Surely only anyone can download it cause it's been leaked? I can't find a link on the apple site?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Surely only anyone can download it cause it's been leaked? I can't find a link on the apple site?

You won't until monday, follow the link I posted above for the download

is there an instruction book somewhere, how do you create folders for apps etc?

Press an hold an App for a few seconds until they all go shakey. Then drag one app onto another. This will create a folder with both apps in it, which you can rename. You can then drag other apps to this folder (up to 12 I think). You can't have folders within folders. You can also create app folders in iTunes 9.2, and then transfer them over to your iPhone/Touch. I got my home screens down for 6 to 3 with folders, so it's a pretty cool feature.

The other thing worth knowing about is the screen lock. Tap the physical button at the bottom twice, and you'll get a dock at the bottom. This shows all your running applications (this will be more important when the apps become multitasking aware, press and hold an icon to quit apps). Swipe to the right, and you'll get an iPod icon, iPod controls and a little lock in a curvy arrow icon. This button locks the screen in portrait mode, so you can lie in bed and the screen won't keep jumping around.

Most of the rest of the new features (backgrounds, etc) can be found in Settings, or will be apparent in the Apps concerned (Faces and Places in Photos, unified mailbox when you have more than one mail account in Mail)

Apple have no official instructions yet, but there's plenty of guides about the new features on the web.

You won't until monday, follow the link I posted above for the download

That's my point.. the final bug free release will be the one uploaded to apple's site on the 24th, also, sorry If i seem to be being rude I'm just tired :pac:

Thanks for that.

Do you know is there any way set the network to 3G only? It was the one thing I was really hoping for on the iphone4.

Thanks for that.

Do you know is there any way set the network to 3G only? It was the one thing I was really hoping for on the iphone4.

No, you can turn 3G off (Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G), but you can't only have 3G and not GPRS/Edge. Could you do that on 3.x? I don't remember seeing such a feature before.

I suspect this is because GPRS is pretty much everywhere and G3 isn't - having G3 only would leave you without coverage in a lot of places. The reason for having the ability to turn 3G off is that it saves battery and you still have coverage (albeit slower for data).

I doubt it's a common request. Now I'm very curious as to why you really want this setting :p

phutyle wrote: »
    No, you can turn 3G off (Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G), but you can't only have 3G and not GPRS/Edge. Could you do that on 3.x? I don't remember seeing such a feature before.

I suspect this is because GPRS is pretty much everywhere and G3 isn't - having G3 only would leave you without coverage in a lot of places. The reason for having the ability to turn 3G off is that it saves battery and you still have coverage (albeit slower for data).

I doubt it's a common request. Now I'm very curious as to why you really want this setting :p

I'm on 3, the iphone has a habit of falling back to Vodafone GPRS even in places I have excellent 3G coverage, I have to go into network setting and manually select 3G to get back onto 3's network.
    I'm happy to have the choice to jump onto the 3G network when ever I want I don't think anyone on Voda or o2 have that choice.
    I've pretty much 3G coverage in a lot of places so i'd like to set the phone to 3G only, used to do it with my e71 when I knew i'd be using data all day.
    The call quality is also a lot better on the 3G network, vodafone gprs is all crackly and hissily.

I don't understand why apple won't allow you to set 3G only, it is called the iphone 3GS after all:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

My itunes has just started to update automatically :) perhaps it has been released this morning. :D

Still sees ver3 of the iphone software as the current version.

First off make sure your iPhone is fully backed up with iTunes

Then follow the link I posted on the first page if this thread, make sure you download the correct ipsw for your iPhone

Once downloaded plug in your iPhone in iTunes hit the restore button while holding alt it should let you then select the ipsw you've just downloaded from where you saved it. That's it hit restore and sit back for 10 minutes.
    If your using a jailbroken iPhone don't attempt this.

dingding wrote: »
    My itunes has just started to update automatically :) perhaps it has been released this morning. :D

Still sees ver3 of the iphone software as the current version.

I think apple are planning ahead and getting the iTunes update done now so by monday most iPod and iPhone users will have updated so they'll be more servers and bandwidth available to download iOS4, I heard last time OS3 downloads were going very slowly due to the massive amout of people downloading the OS and they also had it priced last time which might of put a lot off people initially.

The fact iOS4 is free, they'll be a massive amount of downloads when it's released and apple would rather have as much bandwidth as possible available to iOS4, instead of iTunes 9.2 and then iOS4 minutes after.

Also in 9.2 did anyone notice how the iPhone icon has iOS4 installed on it?:pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not noticing any major differences with the update. Mail, folders, multitasking'ish, any one know what else is possible on the 3GS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rushdie

Just giving a go now hopefully the restore doesn't take to long.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

anyone missing mms from the ios4 gm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Rushdie wrote: »
    Just giving a go now hopefully the restore doesn't take to long.

My battery life seems to have deteriorated significantly since installing iOS4 . Anyone else finding this? It's eating through my battery :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm not noticing any major differences with the update. Mail, folders, multitasking'ish, any one know what else is possible on the 3GS

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

They're the main ones. Since the firmware hasn't been officially released, most apps have no 4.0 features.

L5 wrote: »
    My battery life seems to have deteriorated significantly since installing iOS4 . Anyone else finding this? It's eating through my battery :/

Have you 2 many apps running?, tap twice on the big home button and it brings up the active apps you can then close them if your not using them.
    This is my first day with ios4, so can't tell how the battery is yet.

for me, i seem to be having a problem with login cookies, even tho i'm selecting remember me for sites, and i have forced "accept" cookies in settings, i keep getting logged out of some sites, nothing major, but still inconvenient, and the sky sports tv app doesnt work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have downloaded the file and am ready to go... nearly.

Fcuking backup was going to take till, well, the iPhone 4 comes to Ireland - so I'm hoping the trick to get it moving in this macrumours thread will let me move on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is there an iOS4 jailbreak for 3GS yet? please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dades wrote: »
    Fcuking backup was going to take till, well, the iPhone 4 comes to Ireland - so I'm hoping the trick to get it moving in this macrumours thread will let me move on. :pac:
    Question:

No matter what I do backup is taking forever, so I'm not going to get 4.0 sorted today as I need my phone.

Come Monday, and iTunes prompts me to upgrade my OS, am I going to have sit through a 10 hour backup, or does the new OS just "sync" with iTunes and loads your stuff on?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Advertisement