Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to update iPhone 3GS to 4.0 os?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I kind of wish they'd give the PC version of iTunes a re-write. It seems very big and bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i wish they'd port it to linux, so i could ditch windoze forever

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is there an iOS4 jailbreak for 3GS yet? please?

not yet, 3g and ipt2g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

got it done earlier this evening, working fine and my phone is as was just with os4 now.

Sone nice features but some aren't up yet as its not out offical yet.

A lot of apps are going to have to bring out new versions to work on this.

rte radio one stopped when i switched to messages......as did grab radio.........:mad: but i think that will be sorted in the coming weeks.

i love the folders, i have 5 set up and now almost all the apps i usr daily are on my home page:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

got it done earlier this evening, working fine and my phone is as was just with os4 now.

Sone nice features but some aren't up yet as its not out offical yet.

A lot of apps are going to have to bring out new versions to work on this.

rte radio one stopped when i switched to messages......as did grab radio.........:mad: but i think that will be sorted in the coming weeks.

i love the folders, i have 5 set up and now almost all the apps i usr daily are on my home page:)

So I have this as well. Do we get the 'official' update when it comes out next week? Also how are peoples batteries faring? Mine seems to be losing power faster. I thought the apps were in a frozen state under multitasking so this shouldn't drain battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭guil

the apps are still open so it will drain the battery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

guil wrote: »

So when you are in an app is there no way to close them instead of quitting via home button, then opening up multitask bar, then holding down apps, then deleting? It's a bit of a pain

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

This is simply not true. Unless the app is specifically using a background service, it is not running.

This is simply not true. Unless the app is specifically using a background service, it is not running.
    would the app not be just minimzed though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

No, it's completely different than desktop multitasking. It's designed so that you don't have to think about. Just launch and close your apps as you would on the 3.x firmware. Let the OS handle the task management - that's what it's designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Backgrounded apps that haven't been written to use multitasking (i.e. the vast majority of them at the moment) don't use CPU cycles or battery. They are not "minimized", they are completely suspended. The only apps that can multitask so far are those that come with the OS (Safari, Mail etc) and a handful that have started to trickle into the App Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

If I install this GM version of iOS4, what happens when the official iOS4 is released on Monday? Will I be prompted to update, or will have have to remove the GM version first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

On a Mac if you want to shorten the process just drag the ipsw into Library/ iTunes/ iPhone Software Updates and it wont need a restore ! i have it running on my 3gs and it works perfectly.

I have my shsh backed up for 3.1.3. Is there anythin in iTunes 9.2 to stop me rolling back to 3.1.3 if I don't like 4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Guys,

Any idea what time we can expect OS4 to become available at tomorrow over here? Also, I should probably make sure my iTunes is up to date before tomorrow to avoid any delays.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

No idea what time it's available at but you'll need the latest version of itunes to install iOS 4

whats the story with the game centre, how do ya play games through it or is it for any game from the app store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

whats the story with the game centre, how do ya play games through it or is it for any game from the app store

It's not being released till later in the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just gave it a download there and while it's all running well and good, I can't believe changing the home screen wallpapers is one of the features that only works on the 3GS. I can understand stuff like multitasking only working on their newest devices, but is it really so difficult for Apple to stick a picture in the background on 3G's?

Daysha wrote: »
    Just gave it a download there and while it's all running well and good, I can't believe changing the home screen wallpapers is one of the features that only works on the 3GS. I can understand stuff like multitasking only working on their newest devices, but is it really so difficult for Apple to stick a picture in the background on 3G's?

I thought the same! I think it's just a friendly nudge to 3G users to say "Time to upgrade"

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Dades wrote: »
    Question:

No matter what I do backup is taking forever, so I'm not going to get 4.0 sorted today as I need my phone.

Come Monday, and iTunes prompts me to upgrade my OS, am I going to have sit through a 10 hour backup, or does the new OS just "sync" with iTunes and loads your stuff on?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Had same problem with back up, try this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055891536

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

So have they started pushing 4.0 out officially now? I can't check until I get home from work this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

So have they started pushing 4.0 out officially now? I can't check until I get home from work this evening.

Nothing so far!

It'll be around 5pm this evening if it follows OS 3

Anyone notice the geotag for pics. When ya open photos on the bottom ya will see albums and places. Click places and it shows a location on the map for all ur pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

quick question, I've downloaded the firmware and done the restore, and itunes is asking me if this is a new phone or if I want to restore my last backup. I've picked my last backup - will that now restore that image? (i.e. with os 3x) or will I just have my data with os 4?

I guess I'll find out soon enough anyway :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

The new iTunes shows iPhones running 3.1.3 with the new background thing. Hopefully it'll be released really soon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The backup just restores user data, not the OS.

Apple updates seem to be normally released in the evening or nighttime due to California being 8 hours behind us, so I wouldn't recommend anyone holds their breath in anticipation right now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

The only apps that can multitask so far are those that come with the OS (Safari, Mail etc)

That in itself is a problem from me. Unlike people who love multi-tasking and use the lack of it as a stick to beat Apple with I admire their decision to not use multi-tasking originally. id safari is not suspended it will prob. eat into battery life a bit.

I dont care if a page fails to cache and reloads, battery is more important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

any one know will the original ipod touches get the upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Advertisement