Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 4 (World Cup)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Stupid life! :mad: Unless it's sex and drugs and travel life as opposed to work and drain-cleaning life.

It actually is the former sex, drugs (alcohol is a drug) and travel life, so I can't really complain... ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Meanwhile VOAT version 5 is being discussed here for the time being. An official thread on it will go up, probably on Friday. In the meantime, use either this thread or the one linked above for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'd actually love another one-hour flashfic competition - really enjoyed writing that one.

Right, what kind of time frame and word count are people suggesting for the Bad Romance contest?

Should we be looking at full stories or just a few paragrpahs of awful literature?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Carte blanche, pickarooney. Let people do what they want around the theme. Just set an upper word limit, set the theme, and maybe include the piece I quoted on that other thread as a possible example of a style to aim for.

Not sure about the "Bad Romance" title though.... you could end up getting some dark spousal abuse stories.... the fun side of it needs to be emphasised.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just put in a clause that misery lit will be disqualified. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Just put in a clause that misery lit will be disqualified. :)

No way, badly-written domestic violence could be hilarious. Couldn't it? No?
    /hits backspace repeatedly

Anyone else got a sig idea? Something that gets across the notion of bad-for-the-sake-of-bad-but-funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I had forgotten about this line (which I just snipped from my book):
    Wise words could not lighten the depressing anti-climax of their stillborn adventure. While their missed carriage made its slow way up the line to Aguas Calientes they turned to face the other direction.

I'm a natural!

Advertisement