Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Customers - Get out of contract!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

I switched networks to O2 on the 20th of May 2010, can I still use this contract change to get released from my current contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

I just called O2 and they terminated my 18 month contract (which started on the 20/05/2010) over the phone no questions asked!! Now that makes my new HTC Desire cheap! Thanks for the heads up Shredneck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azazin

I was wondering if anyone from the UK has done this or if anyone know if this works for O2 UK?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Just rang O2 there now, Im still with O2 just not in a contract everything stays the same except now I can leave O2 whenever I want. Great and thanks for the headsup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

carlaboi wrote: »
    Just rang O2 there now, Im still with O2 just not in a contract everything stays the same except now I can leave O2 whenever I want. Great and thanks for the headsup!

cheers, thats what I wanted to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

azazin wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone from the UK has done this or if anyone know if this works for O2 UK?

Thanks!

See post 27.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azazin

gizmo555 wrote: »
    See post 27.

I read this whole thread, does that mean that i can cancel too without a penalty?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

just rang them. they now have a department dealing with and transfer you through to someone who knows the whole thing.

I just did it. Nothing else changes at all, they just remove the time limit on your contract so you can leave at any time without a cancellation fee. thats it. everything else stays the same.
    took 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

azazin wrote: »
    I read this whole thread, does that mean that i can cancel too without a penalty?

Thanks!

It depends, has O2 UK changed their terms and conditions?

I very much doubt O2 UK would let you out of contract based solely on the fact that O2 IRL changed there T&C's I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Guys, just thought I'd add my experience too. I had about 3-4 months left on contract. I had only moved from €55 p/m to €27.50p/m to cut costs. I PM'd Daryl through the O2 help forum on Saturday. I just requested a call back regarding my wish to void my contract because of the change in terms of service. Reply was "no problem".
    Unfortunately, I missed the call from O2 on Monday( Unknown No.) but immediately received a text stating the following "Thank you for contacting O2. You have now been removed from your contract as per your request. Your services continue as normal. Thank you from O2". Very pleased!
    Big UP to Shredneck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Obskure wrote: »
    Guys, just thought I'd add my experience too. I had about 3-4 months left on contract. I had only moved from €55 p/m to €27.50p/m to cut costs. I PM'd Daryl through the O2 help forum on Saturday. I just requested a call back regarding my wish to void my contract because of the change in terms of service. Reply was "no problem".
    Unfortunately, I missed the call from O2 on Monday( Unknown No.) but immediately received a text stating the following "Thank you for contacting O2. You have now been removed from your contract as per your request. Your services continue as normal. Thank you from O2". Very pleased!
    Big UP to Shredneck

Think daryll deserves some credit too, that was very handy for him to be able to sort that out for you with no hassle. Didn't even cost you the price or time of a call. Just shows they are handy to have on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Davy wrote: »
    Think daryll deserves some credit too, that was very handy for him to be able to sort that out for you with no hassle. Didn't even cost you the price or time of a call. Just shows they are handy to have on boards
    Noted. Thanks have been passed on
    Appreciate the help of Daryl also. He went above and beyond the call of duty on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Read the thread and erm still as confused as ever, I got my 3gs iphone of 02 in December and I think that was an 18 month contract, after reading about the changes on July 12th, which I'll be honest still confused over too I've decided on Monday to get out of my contract.
    I love my iphone and have played some RPG game for 13 months and I'm near completeing it, would hate to not get the chance but...

Another thing is I'm jobless now and I think I'm paying about €45 a month to 02 on whatever payplan it is, I know Vodaphone is too dear for me would people here recommend 3? I have never gone over my 1gb limit on o2 and have heard some horror stories about Meteor...

I'd also like the cheapest pay plan that makes sense for my needs....

Any help for this simpleton more than welcome! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

from today's Indo

CUSTOMERS of mobile phone company O2 are facing price hikes of up to 80pc.

Prepaid customers, who pay for their calls and texts by topping up their mobile accounts with credit every month, are set to be hardest hit.

The cost of initiating a call for a prepaid customer is to rise from 5c to 9c, a jump of 80pc, the Irish Independent has learned.

The changes will affect almost 700,000 prepaid customers of the company.

There will be no change in the per minute charge once a call is made.

Price hikes will also be imposed on people with mobile phone contracts, as these customers will have to pay more once they exceed the monthly voice and text allowances that come with their price plans.

More than 400,000 people have contracts with O2.

The rises take effect from Monday week and will mean that someone who exceeds their monthly allowance of free calls will see the price of making a call rise by 35pc, the phone company confirmed yesterday.

A spokeswoman for O2 said a smartphone user who is on the Advance 350 price plan pays €60 a month and gets 350 free call minutes, unlimited internet browsing and 150 free texts.

If they exceed the limits for calls on this plan the cost of making a call will rise from 20c to 27c. The cost of sending a text goes from 10c to 11c for those who exceed their free "bundled" number of texts each month.

Roaming

"The majority of customers on these price plans don't exceed the voice and text allowances that come with the price plans they have chosen," the spokeswoman said. "If customers do find they exceed the bundled minutes and texts with their plan we advise them to choose another plan more tailored to their usage."

She said O2 offers a free "spend alert text service" for all customers, which alerts them when they have reached a particular amount on their bill to help them manage what they spend. The customers sets the point at which they would like to receive an alert.

The price hike comes days after the EU imposed caps on roaming charges that phone companies can impose when people are using their mobiles abroad.

But the company denied yesterday that the increases had anything to do with that cap.

The cost of making a call to the 11811 directory enquiry service is to rise from 99c to €1.17, the Irish Independent has also learned.

The mobile phone operator, which is part of European telecoms giant Telefonica, is also moving to suspend prepaid accounts that have not been used for more than six months.

O2 said it would write to people who have not used the prepaid mobile for more than half a year and if there was no reply it would remove any phone credit two months later.

It is also scrapping a desktop text service where people can download software to their computer and send free texts.

Customers can still avail of free texts via the internet by accessing the O2 website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

02 are also blocking people from using cabbage shortly

Apparently not. From reading further on the o2 website and the cabbage thread on Boards - its only effecting the o2 specific application. There withdrawing it because nobody is really using it and just saying to use another application.

Just thought I would clear that up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Read the thread and erm still as confused as ever, I got my 3gs iphone of 02 in December and I think that was an 18 month contract, after reading about the changes on July 12th, which I'll be honest still confused over too I've decided on Monday to get out of my contract.
    I love my iphone and have played some RPG game for 13 months and I'm near completeing it, would hate to not get the chance but...

Another thing is I'm jobless now and I think I'm paying about €45 a month to 02 on whatever payplan it is, I know Vodaphone is too dear for me would people here recommend 3? I have never gone over my 1gb limit on o2 and have heard some horror stories about Meteor...

I'd also like the cheapest pay plan that makes sense for my needs....

Any help for this simpleton more than welcome! :o

Maybe look at the O2 Clear plans with a data add on?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/O2+Clear+Unlimited/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭davemcgeown

anyone know how i could get out of my current 02 contract :(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

anyone know how i could get out of my current 02 contract :(

You should probably start a new thread for this as this one is old.

How long are you in your current contract and what is the reason for wanting to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    You should probably start a new thread for this as this one is old.

How long are you in your current contract and what is the reason for wanting to cancel?

He already has here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056562363

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Don't raise zombie threads, especially when you've already started a separate thread on the subject - you're just wilfully creating needless noise and clutter on the board, and that's earned you an infraction. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement