Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Which ones are false, there cheaper than o2 and Voda, you can also tether with their data add on's not like o2, voda & meteor

I was looking at the 3 website: http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay.htm#terms

They claim the internet is unlimited (which you think is great) but then I read the T&C:

*Unlimited internet subject to fair usage limit of 250 MB per 30 day period and subject to €5 internet add-on being purchased out of €20 top-up.

How can they say it is unlimited if it 250mb for a whole month? That is blatent false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Im with 3 for the last 3 years or so and ive got a few free upgrades to pretty cool phones, only thing i don't like about them is that i cant get a bloody iphone with them yet.
    I love their Planet 3 mobile site and their mobile web access in general is pretty cool. I even used my irish mobile in Australia for a whole month logging onto the net through my laptop and it worked out cheaper than buying internet access in hotels etc. coz 3 are in Oz too. Their roaming charges are pretty cheap.
    They do Flexi Units which can be used for 1 minute of voice calls, 3 texts or 1 MB broadband bandwidth. So for 50 quid a month you get 350 flexi units which can be used for voice, texts or internet.

They should have the iphone soon and it'll be a similar price to O2. I was with O2 for years before i switched to 3 and must say, i've liked being with 3.

Pixel8 wrote: »
    Im with 3 for the last 3 years or so and ive got a few free upgrades to pretty cool phones, only thing i don't like about them is that i cant get a bloody iphone with them yet.
    I love their Planet 3 mobile site and their mobile web access in general is pretty cool. I even used my irish mobile in Australia for a whole month logging onto the net through my laptop and it worked out cheaper than buying internet access in hotels etc. coz 3 are in Oz too. Their roaming charges are pretty cheap.
    They do Flexi Units which can be used for 1 minute of voice calls, 3 texts or 1 MB broadband bandwidth. So for 50 quid a month you get 350 flexi units which can be used for voice, texts or internet.

They should have the iphone soon and it'll be a similar price to O2. I was with O2 for years before i switched to 3 and must say, i've liked being with 3.

Do they offer free webtexts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

333 of them a month

02 are also blocking people from using cabbage shortly

when they say unlimited I think they mean your not limited to what you can do with the Internet, Vodafone limit what you can do, there new unlimited broadband won't allow you use Skype or p2p sites there also going down a dodgy road with Irma

333 of them a month

02 are also blocking people from using cabbage shortly

when they say unlimited I think they mean your not limited to what you can do with the Internet, Vodafone limit what you can do, there new unlimited broadband won't allow you use Skype or p2p sites there also going down a dodgy road with Irma

I know but unlimited to me means unlimited data, geez 250 mb wouldn't go next or near me! :eek:

That doesn't bother me with O2 as I use the website to text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

They now seem to have removed the notification page? It mentioned desktop SMS what was that? Are cabbage and programs like that still going to work? how about a O2 phone locked to prepay would that now be eligible for unlocking if it wasn't before? thanks for all the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

angel01 wrote: »
    I know but unlimited to me means unlimited data, geez 250 mb wouldn't go next or near me! :eek:

Depends on what route your going down, bill pay you can get a 1GB, 15GB or 30GB add on.

Pay as you go you can get 1GB, 7.5GB or 20GB.

All those add on's allow you to use your phone as a modem.

Some stuff on 3 won't use any data like skype, msn, and other free bits you can get into through planet 3.

Depends on what route your going down, bill pay you can get a 1GB, 15GB or 30GB add on.

Pay as you go you can get 1GB, 7.5GB or 20GB.

All those add on's allow you to use your phone as a modem.

Some stuff on 3 won't use any data like skype, msn, and other free bits you can get into through planet 3.

Pity there isn't one between 1 and 15, it is a big jump :eek:

Does anyone know when the desire is coming out with 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

center15 wrote: »
    They now seem to have removed the notification page? It mentioned desktop SMS what was that? Are cabbage and programs like that still going to work? how about a O2 phone locked to prepay would that now be eligible for unlocking if it wasn't before? thanks for all the heads up!

It's still available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

I just rang o2 there and had a chat with a nice lady. She ran through all the changes with me and there doesn’t seem anything too extreme in what they’re doing. The only thing that bugs me is that they didn’t bother texting or emailing anyone that they were making changes. I got several texts in the last month telling me about crappy offers. Why not text to inform me about this?

Anyway, I asked her what would happen if I refused to accept their charges. She just said that there is a team working on this issue and she’d get them to contact me tomorrow. I’ll be very interested to see what they’ll say.

I’m looking to get the iPhone 4 preferably with o2 so I don’t want to rock the boat too much and my contract is up in September. But as I said above, I don’t like them trying to get tariff increases applied so sneakily and if I can get an iPhone on or close to launch I’d be happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

kildareash wrote: »
    It worked for me!

They had to look up how many minutes I used per month, as they said it wld only apply if I went outside the minutes on my plan.
    Although I went over on my minutes, it was because I had free weekend and eve calls.
    I argued that this was a free add on and I cld change AND that I had agreed to 20c calls and not 22c calls.

I think she agreed to end the commitment just to get me off the phone!
    Nice one OP! Thanks

I never go over my minutes but that doesn't mean I will not do so in the future. I'll be hitting them up tomorrow morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 newshooter

can you withdraw from you contract and stay bill? ie just to get a new one when the iphone 4 comes out?

That's kind of what I was hoping for. Needless to say they didn't ring me at all today. I'd say everyone and his dog is trying to pull this stunt!
    I’ll give them till Tuesday morning and I’ll ring them back to see what the craic is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

angel01 wrote: »
    I am looking for a data plan, moving to Vodafone for 45 Euro per month with 2gb data is less than what I am on now. I pay 40 Euro per month, 100 off net texts, free o2 calls & texts, 150 minutes, 10 MMS and unlimited internet with O2.

Vodafone are simply too expensive. Meteor have issues with their internet and cant cope with smartphones so they are out. That leaves 3 and most of their packages are false advertising.

You do know that O2 were spanked over using the "unlimited" crap, don't you? Their actual limit is 3GB per month. Actually I just see their plan is now 2GB a month as well. So now its all the same Data, minutes and free VF to VF/O2 to O2, and 50 extra texts with VF for the extra €5.....So glad there is competition in this country.....:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's kind of what I was hoping for. Needless to say they didn't ring me at all today. I'd say everyone and his dog is trying to pull this stunt!
    I’ll give them till Tuesday morning and I’ll ring them back to see what the craic is.

The team works Mon-Friday 9-5. Ring them Monday, apparently they are getting flooded with calls.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You do know that O2 were spanked over using the "unlimited" crap, don't you? Their actual limit is 3GB per month. Actually I just see their plan is now 2GB a month as well. So now its all the same Data, minutes and free VF to VF/O2 to O2, and 50 extra texts with VF for the extra €5.....So glad there is competition in this country.....:confused:

Am probably going to three now. Better packages for me and more suited to what I need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

Well I got out of my contract with 3 broaband cause they changed there data allowance I had a month too ring them and I didnt have to pay a penny.

to cancel it it would have cost me 100 euro.

so same thing really expect its the the i phones data allowance.

anyone tried too buy a i phone sign up with 02 i phone bill pay and rang the customer care and did the get out of contract trick.

if some one really has let us know cause I wanna buy a i phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭djdunny

newshooter wrote: »
    can you withdraw from you contract and stay bill? ie just to get a new one when the iphone 4 comes out?

new shooter as far as im aware you cant just ask them for an upgrade even though you are out of contract now. IIRC the lady in o2 told me that even though my contract has been terminated (im still using the plan) that i still wouldnt be eligible to get a phone until the date that my contract was due to expire.

the only other way to do it is to port onto a different netowrk and stay with them for 3 months and then port back to O2. You cannot be credit scored with 90 days of being previously credit scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

anyone tried too buy a i phone sign up with 02 i phone bill pay and rang the customer care and did the get out of contract trick.

Won't work I'm afraid!
    If you sign up to a new contract with O2, you will be agreeing to the revised contract terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

i called them few days ago, the girl on the phone told me that somebody will call me but nobody did, so i called them yesterday, the girl this time directed to another link to give them 30 days notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Thats a form of stealing. The phone is subsidised. If you dont want the contract than buy it for 510euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

You'll have to be confident. They're trying every trick in the book to prevent you doing this.

My contract is in the wife's name and when she rang up she was blatantly lied to, told she had to leave the network immediately to terminate the contract obligation.

I rang up and read them the riot act before they rang her back to apologise and clear it all up.

any idea in relation to my case, coz they just diverted me to another link and thats it, no words from them after that, r they just passing the time or they r going to do something ?

masker wrote: »
    any idea in relation to my case, coz they just diverted me to another link and thats it, no words from them after that, r they just passing the time or they r going to do something ?

I would ring them up again and get them to arrange someone to call you back, you need this done before the 12th July :)

i actually called them and the girl on the other side first transfered me to some other girl, she asked me y u wana leave contract, bla bla question and then told me to give them 30 days notice from the link on their site which is

http://www.o2online.ie/help/contact_us_query_form.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

i actually called them and the girl on the other side first transfered me to some other girl, she asked me y u wana leave contract, bla bla question and then told me to give them 30 days notice from the link on their site which is

You don't have to give 30 days notice or use the query form. As another user mentioned, O2 seem to be doing everything in their power to drag out this issue with customers. I know someone who got out of their O2 contract immediately with no 30 day notice period. They did have to talk to a few people in customer care, as some of the agents didn't have all the information at hand, so it appears to depend on who you get, but it is definitely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is rubbish. They should release you over the phone.

They can release you over the phone.

thx for help, i will call again

• Advertisement

They can release you over the phone.

I finally rang them back today after waiting since last Thursday for them to ring me.
    The lady on the phone told me she can let me out of my contract there and then and I can port over to a new network.

However, I decided to stay with o2. And because I’m staying with o2 on bill pay I will have to give them one month’s notice before I can change networks.

The lady also confirmed that I won’t be eligible for an upgrade until the date my contract was due to end. Which is fair enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement