Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland or Netherlands?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I dont think the Dutch mind what its called either because they are a modern almost masterful race unlike us Irish who base our county teams in our national and previous anti brittish games on something introduced by the Brittish mainly Counties.
    At least we can annoy them by fucking around with their language.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Orangeland.

There i said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

super-rush wrote: »
    Orangeland.

There i said it.

Proof just in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It really isn't.

He didn't say it was right, he said it's what some people call it. I've definitely heard the term 'Britain' used.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

They call their football team Oranje. So I think Oranjelaand will do from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Genrikh Yagoda

the neanderthalands LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

the neanderthalands LOL

That's some gentle comedy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

javaboy wrote: »
    They call their football team Oranje. So I think Oranjelaand will do from now on.

well....for the next 3 weeks or so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

javaboy wrote: »
    So eh..... Holland or Netherlands?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Wikipedia wrote:
    In many languages including English, 'Holland' (Hollande, Holanda etc.) is a common name for the Netherlands as a whole. Even the Dutch use this sometimes. Strictly speaking, Holland is only the central-western region of the country comprising two of the twelve provinces, North Holland and South Holland (see figure). Such use of a part to designate its whole is sometimes called by the Latin term pars pro toto. Other examples are Russia for the (former) Soviet Union, and England for the United Kingdom (see also Terminology of the British Isles).
    Historically Holland was the most powerful region in the current Netherlands. The counts of Holland were also counts of Hainaut, Friesland and Zeeland from the 13th to the 15th centuries. Holland remained most powerful during the period of the Dutch Republic and the cities in Holland were important trading cities. After the demise of the Dutch Republic under Napoleon, that country became the Kingdom of Holland (1806–1810). Today the two provinces making up Holland, including the cities of Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam, remain politicallyI][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I, economicallyI][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I and demographically dominant – 37% of the Dutch population live there.
    The name 'Holland' for the Netherlands is used colloquially by the Dutch themselves, especially in relation to football, where the national team is sometimes cheered on with the cry 'Holland!' The name is used in international promotion, too, because 'Holland' is the best known worldwide.
    In the provinces furthest from Holland, notably Friesland, Groningen and Limburg, the word Hollander is frequently used in a pejorative sense, to refer to the perceived superiority or supposed arrogance of people from the Randstad – the main conurbation of Holland and of the Netherlands. As a natural reaction people from these provinces do not always appreciate being called Hollander.
    In Belgian Flanders as well, the word Hollander is used in this pejorative sense.
    This should be the end of the thread, both are acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i call it holland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

See what it said about England too also called The UK and Britain.

There's only one thing for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

All I know is that I live in the country of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

no one gets confused if you refer to the Red Light District of Europe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In casual conversation I call it Holland, as I'm generally a fan of the oul' synecdoche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

owenc wrote: »
    naw, maybe it gets to the point were you get sick and tired of losers coming on here and making random jokes to get attention and they arn't even half funny, its so pathetic.

Tell me, is it true what they say about the protestant sense of humour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I call it by both names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Dutchess wrote: »
    Well, being Dutch myself I call it Nederland (pronounced: Naydrlahnd). In English, I call it the Netherlands. The country consists of 12 provinces, 2 of them being North-Holland and South-Holland. So 1/6 of the country is Holland. The Holland part of the country is where all the major cities (say Amsterdam, the Hague for example) are and though not geographically being the centre, it is the centre in the sense of this is where it all goes down. So I think this is why people sometimes call it Holland. Also, it rolls a bit easier off the tongue than 'the Netherlands'. (say, you're in South Africa watching a match, shouting 'go, Holland, go!' is easier than 'go the Netherlands go!
    To compare, some people (in the Netherlands at least) would refer to all of Great-Britain as England....

Ah now, what would you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I think I can clear all this up, the official website of the Netherlands Board of Tourism and Conventions is:
    http://www.holland.com/uk/

wait... that doesn't clear anything up at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The official name is The Kingdom of the Netherlands (Koninkrijk der Nederlanden) and that includes the Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean as well. Holland is north and south Holland, two provinces around Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag etc. The reason some people call it Holland is mainly historical, it was the main area at war with Spain, it controlled most of the world trade at one point, and it is the most 'Dutch' looking part of the Netherlands. You wouldn't really say 'I'm from Holland' in Dutch though, you'd say 'Ik ben Nederlandse' or I'm Dutch. The language is called Nederlands in Dutch as well, the only reason some people from here say they're from Holland in English is because it kinda trickled back into the way they speak English to foreigners. Anyway, just to confuse this thread further and make it even more pointless, this video is essential viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

What I find strange is that in almost every language, The Netherlands, is plural yet in dutch it's singular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Someone could do with a vuvuzula.

What is that?

mikom wrote: »
    Tell me, is it true what they say about the protestant sense of humour?

Whats that, what do they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What is that?
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

The Low countries (with Belgium)

pays bas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Whats that, what do they say?
    That they don't have one

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    That they don't have one

oh, right, well protestants do.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid