Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland or Netherlands?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Was just reading up on this because I was curious how one country could have two names.

Apparently the Netherlands is the correct term, because Holland is technically only referring to a particular region. But some Dutch people call the country Holland anyway :confused:

I used to call it Holland until recently when I had to start writing Netherlands over and over again, and now it's been drilled into me

So, what do you call it?

Holland or Netherlands? 153 votes

Holland
    0% 0 votes
    Netherlands
    41% 64 votes
    Coluldn't give a sh1t
    58% 89 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Nether regions tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Well in most languages the name for it is some variation of "netherlands" so I take that to be the correct one, still use both, as do alot of dutch themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I lived in Den Haag for a few months, and I've always called the country the Netherlands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Awesomeland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dutch-land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ì call it Holland. The Netherlands sounds like something out of Harry Potter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are they the Orange lads?

BRITS OUT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That place protected by Lesbians!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The football team is called Holland! Their fans shout Holland at the matches!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Holland or The Netherlands?

Who the fúck are the Dutch then??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Call it both to be honest,whichever one pops into my head 1st. Not that i talk about it much anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Well, being Dutch myself I call it Nederland (pronounced: Naydrlahnd). In English, I call it the Netherlands. The country consists of 12 provinces, 2 of them being North-Holland and South-Holland. So 1/6 of the country is Holland. The Holland part of the country is where all the major cities (say Amsterdam, the Hague for example) are and though not geographically being the centre, it is the centre in the sense of this is where it all goes down. So I think this is why people sometimes call it Holland. Also, it rolls a bit easier off the tongue than 'the Netherlands'. (say, you're in South Africa watching a match, shouting 'go, Holland, go!' is easier than 'go the Netherlands go!
    To compare, some people (in the Netherlands at least) would refer to all of Great-Britain as England....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

FearDark wrote: »
    Holland or The Netherlands?

Who the fúck are the Dutch then??

The Dutch are people that came from Germany ( or Deutscheland ) and settled in The Netherlands or Holland , when the dams were built .....

At least thats what I was told in school .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

gurramok wrote: »
    The football team is called Holland! Their fans shout Holland at the matches!

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Cheeseland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

England is also called the UK Britian, The USA called the States or America or The US, Austrila OZ so its not uncommon for this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Fairly sure holland is just a region of the Netherlands. Saying holland for the netherlands is like if someone said leinster when they meant Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The Netherlands.

Nederland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The Netherlands, calling it Holland is like using the word "Leinster" to refer to Ireland.

edit: Just saw Irish_wolf's post. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

England is also called the UK Britian

It really isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

It really isn't.

Yes it is, and by people from the UK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I have never ever heard it called that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Nah man, try tell that to a scot or a welsh person. That like calling an irish person british :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You don't go around saying Bespin Cloud City, do you?

It's clearly two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Dutch are people that came from Germany ( or Deutscheland ) and settled in The Netherlands or Holland , when the dams were built .....

At least thats what I was told in school .

That explains why the Pennsylvania Dutch in the USA are actually of German decent:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It really isn't.

The uk consists of four countries : Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and wales - Not just England!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Teutorix wrote: »
    Nah man, try tell that to a scot or a welsh person. That like calling an irish person british :mad:

Well, they arn't irish then if you call them british. There are scottish people who are british you know, infact they all are because they all have british passports!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

fullstop wrote: »

What does that prove? Always notice some of the English speaking channels do have HOL on the scoreline while others have NED. I actually have a football teeshirt(not jersey) with Holland written on it.

Also, there is nothing in the link showing football fans shouting anything! Show us some video.

Advertisement