Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland or Netherlands?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

stovelid wrote: »
    Are they the Orange lads?

BRITS OUT

Eh, they arn't british and the orange order is a northern ireland thing, go learn some facts before you post false info. Back to topic, i have never called it Holland always Netherlands, though i must say i do know alot who refer to it as Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I always thought they were two countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hole-land or the Bottom Lands. Take your pick. Most Dutch people I've met don't care one way or the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Jeez who pissed in your corn flakes?

FearDark wrote: »
    Jeez who pissed in your corn flakes?

FAIL!:P If your going to try and sicken someone at least say who you are talking too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windycity

Americans call it Holland. Saying Netherlands is way too much work for us.

owenc wrote: »
    Eh, they arn't british and the orange order is a northern ireland thing, go learn some facts before you post false info.

He was King William of Orange. Its not a "northern ireland thing", its a place. In Holland.

Go learn some history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Orange-Nassau

Eh, they arn't british and the orange order is a northern ireland thing, go learn some facts before you post false info. Back to topic, i have never called it Holland always Netherlands, though i must say i do know alot who refer to it as Holland.

Did you not read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dutchess wrote: »
    Well, being Dutch myself I call it Nederland (pronounced: Naydrlahnd). In English, I call it the Netherlands. The country consists of 12 provinces, 2 of them being North-Holland and South-Holland. So 1/6 of the country is Holland. The Holland part of the country is where all the major cities (say Amsterdam, the Hague for example) are and though not geographically being the centre, it is the centre in the sense of this is where it all goes down. So I think this is why people sometimes call it Holland. Also, it rolls a bit easier off the tongue than 'the Netherlands'. (say, you're in South Africa watching a match, shouting 'go, Holland, go!' is easier than 'go the Netherlands go!
    To compare, some people (in the Netherlands at least) would refer to all of Great-Britain as England....
    ^^Yesh. Thish.
    Yes it is, and by people from the UK too.
    Lol.
    Lol again.

In before spliff comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Did you not read that?
    I did, but then again I also read that if you shock your nipples you get a massive erection. Now my nipples hurt and I can't get it up to shag anything.

Don't believe everything you read :D

• Advertisement

Did you not read that?

Ah "order"...

sorry.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mise_me_fein1

Sulmac wrote: »
    The Netherlands, calling it Holland is like using the word "Leinster" to refer to Ireland.

edit: Just saw Irish_wolf's post. :(

There are two hollands. North Holland and South Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I dont think the Dutch mind what its called either because they are a modern almost masterful race unlike us Irish who base our county teams in our national and previous anti brittish games on something introduced by the Brittish mainly Counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Eh, they arn't british and the orange order is a northern ireland thing, go learn some facts before you post false info.

Go learn a sense of humour.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ah "order"...

sorry.

:D

oh, was he not talking about that, thought he was because he said "britz out".

So where's Orange?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I call it Holland, but know it's The Netherlands. Doesn't seem to bother the natives.

LOL!!!! I was confused so I figured it was best to just apologise!

javaboy wrote: »
    Go learn a sense of humour.

naw, maybe it gets to the point were you get sick and tired of losers coming on here and making random jokes to get attention and they arn't even half funny, its so pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

West Germany

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

naw, maybe it gets to the point were you get sick and tired of losers coming on here and making random jokes to get attention and they arn't even half funny, its so pathetic.

Need a cuddle? You can give me a Dutch ruddering afterwards for it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'd suggest you do what he says. Seriously.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Confab wrote: »
    Hole-land or the Bottom Lands. Take your pick. Most Dutch people I've met don't care one way or the other.

/insert spliff joke here

/shutsdown laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Christ, I always called it Holland and I have family there too (Arnhem).

From now on I shall refer to it as The Netherlands.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No thanks.

Suits me buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

No thanks.

Someone could do with a vuvuzula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're even confusing me now and I was the one that made the - admittedly lame - joke.

• Advertisement

So eh..... Holland or Netherlands?

Advertisement