Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormley's Fluoride Hypocrisy: "Fluoridated Water Causes Cancer in Children!" But You'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

King Mob wrote: »
    So hang on, what are you guys saying fluoride does?

Cause cancer?

Did you watch the video in the first post? Clearly you should go back and look at it again, you might pick up somthing you missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,231 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Did you watch the video in the first post? Clearly you should go back and look at it again, you might pick up somthing you missed.
    Given the level of poor reasoning displayed by the anti-fluoridation crowd, I'm not particularly interested in wasting the bandwidth.

I was just wondering which of those claims was being made.
    Seems it is anything that can be used to scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Given the level of poor reasoning displayed by the anti-fluoridation crowd, I'm not particularly interested in wasting the bandwidth.

That's not exactly rare on the pro-fluoridation side either tbh..

I was just wondering which of those claims was being made.
    Seems it is anything that can be used to scary.

It sounds scarey because it is. When toxic is ingested over long periods of time the human body is going to show a whole host of different effects. Fluoride overdose is not going to manifest in every one person the same way.

You dont want to waste your bandwidth to hear a former government minister and green party leader say on national TV that fluoride causes cancer? Yikes.

You point to the anti-fluorodation crowd having poor reasoning, can you please point out one single reason why fluoride is being put in our water apart from the allready completely discredited view that it helps teeth?

If you can not, then logic predicts you are out of argumentative road. Of course ya'll fluoride lovers can stick around and try and beat us with our own arguments, poke some holes here and there, discredit people and websites etc etc, but when it comes down to it, there is zero argument to keep it in the water and a billion reasons to take it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

For the people wanting a map for their analysis.

800px-Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg.png

Given you are too lazy to find it in such an obvious location, I doubt your analysis will be too thorough, if you do it at all, but here you go

Colour key given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg

• Advertisement

Kadongy wrote: »

800px-Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg.png

Given you are too lazy to find it in such an obvious location, I doubt your analysis will be too thorough, if you do it at all, but here you go

Colour key given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg

I think we were taking about where in ireland is not fluoridated and where is. Cheers though, your maps clearly shows us glowing a very bright orange, which would suggest that somthing is out of order here when compared to the other european countries who are a healthy beige.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Here's a couple of studies which suggest that the cessation of water fluoridation has little effect on the incidence of dental cavities -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9758426
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10601780

A list of foodstuffs which contain fluoride (pdf) -

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Data/Fluoride/F02.pdf

That, together with the fact that people have easier access to dentistry and other medical support today, as opposed to 50 odd years when water fluoridation was introduced, should make anyone question why exactly the mass medication of water supplies is still necessary in 2011 just to protect the tiny minority who simply refuse to look after themselves... And yet those who dare to question that are the ones called irrational, or accused of ignoring facts?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Please link to the original documents where possible, rather than linking to conspiracy monger websites like gaia-health.com, who like to take things out of context.
    WakeUp wrote: »
    That’s all well and good but I can produce reports/opinions/facts to the contrary. Here are a few….

EPA Scientists ( US Environmental Protection Agency ) oppose fluoridation.

The EPA scientists concluded….” For governmental and other organizations to continue to push for more exposure in the face of current levels of over-exposure coupled with an increasing crescendo of adverse toxicity findings is irrational and irresponsible at best.”-link

No, they don't. That website has its own special section called 'Big Pharma', to give us an idea of what angle they're coming from. They've also got many anti-vaccination articles too. Lovely.

Anywho, they have lots of quotes but they don't provide a link to the original article, so I can't really check the integrity of their quotes.

But here's a quote direct from an EPA press release. The EPA doesn't mandate that fluoride be added to water, it's a local issue:
    These actions will maximize the health benefits of water fluoridation, an important tool in the prevention of tooth decay while reducing the possibility of children receiving too much fluoride.

They also refer to the Centers for Disease Control's opinion on water fluoridation:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention named the fluoridation of drinking water one of the 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.

But here's a page detailing the CDC's recommendations in full:
    For 65 years, community water fluoridation has been a safe and healthy way to effectively prevent tooth decay.
    That article touches on a study conducted in China showing that….” low levels of fluoride exposure in drinking water had negative effects on children's intelligence and dental health and confirmed the dose-response relationships between urine fluoride and IQ scores as well as dental fluorosis.”- link

The very article you refer to points out that this research is by a fringe scientist, who was fired shortly after presenting this nonsense! You gonna now come in with the conspiracy theories? Of course you are! She was fired because she went against the grain! Cos that's what happens in science!

I just had a search on PubMed and the only thing I can find with her name attached is "Fluoride poisoning: a puzzle with hidden pieces."

Has she published anything else even? :confused: She seems to have just gone on to be a champion of the anti-fluoridation crowd.

Very thin evidence, sir.
    ADA (American Dental Association ) warn about the dangers of giving babies fluoridated water – link

Another great source. They quote the Fluoride Action Network as a nice unbiased source for comment on this!

Why don't we find out what the American Dental Association actually says about fluoridation?
    More than 65 years ago - on January 25,1945 - Grand Rapids, Michigan became the world's first city to adjust the level of fluoride in its water supply. Since that time, fluoridation has dramatically improved the oral health of tens of millions of Americans. Community water fluoridation is the single most effective public health measure to prevent tooth decay.

24 studies have reported an association between fluoride exposure and reduced IQ. The fluoride levels in water in these studies range from 0.88 - 9.4 ppm. link

The recommended flouride level in Ireland is around 0.7 ppm, so why you'd be linking to studies about 9.4 ppm is beyond me.
    Time Magazine – Top 10 common household toxins – Fluoride

“Neurotoxic and potentially tumorigenic if swallowed; the American Dental Association advises that children under 2 not use fluoride toothpaste” - link

Yes, the ADA says that you shouldn't swallow TOOTHPASTE, because it has loads of fluoride in it, way more than is present in the water supply.

Seriously, do you not feel a bit dirty quoting everybody out of context? You've quoted the EPA, ADA, and other bodies, and completely reversed their position on fluoridation. This is either because you're relying on disgusting bastions of misinformation for your news, so you're just misled, or you're consciously looking through the relevant pages, and maliciously deciding to misrepresent them.

It makes me fvcking sick. Depicable.

A bbc article from 2002, a long time ago really. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2161300.stm

What i wouldnt give to have a minister for health from another country........

Can anyone believe the level of the debate in Ireland in this year 2011 when the belgians were doing this in 2002?

Must be somthing to do with a more inteligent people copping on to the fact that the toxic waste disposal industry is paying governments to dispose of its waste into the bodies of its citizens for economic reasons.

A bbc article from 2002, a long time ago really. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2161300.stm

Can anyone believe the level of the debate in Ireland in this year 2011 when the belgians were doing this in 2002?

Must be somthing to do with a more inteligent people copping on to the fact that the toxic waste disposal industry is paying governments to dispose of its waste into the bodies of its citizens for economic reasons.
    That article clearly says that they're talking about banning fluoride supplements -- tablets and chewing gum -- because "[t]hose products are used excessively and often abused", and "there are concerns that over-use of fluoride increases the risk of osteoporosis."

So what does that have to do with water fluoridation at 0.7 ppm? Nothing? Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

It sounds scarey because it is. When toxic is ingested over long periods of time the human body is going to show a whole host of different effects. Fluoride overdose is not going to manifest in every one person the same way.

You dont want to waste your bandwidth to hear a former government minister and green party leader say on national TV that fluoride causes cancer? Yikes.

You point to the anti-fluorodation crowd having poor reasoning, can you please point out one single reason why fluoride is being put in our water apart from the allready completely discredited view that it helps teeth?

If you can not, then logic predicts you are out of argumentative road. Of course ya'll fluoride lovers can stick around and try and beat us with our own arguments, poke some holes here and there, discredit people and websites etc etc, but when it comes down to it, there is zero argument to keep it in the water and a billion reasons to take it out.

Are there not supposed to be moderators on this site?. If someone posts something which is completely false and ignorant of the FACTS, as is the case with the individual above, should it not be removed so that those who are not well informed do not mistakenly take this rubbish for fact?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Dave! wrote: »
    Please link to the original documents where possible, rather than linking to conspiracy monger websites like gaia-health.com, who like to take things out of context.

No, they don't. That website has its own special section called 'Big Pharma', to give us an idea of what angle they're coming from. They've also got many anti-vaccination articles too. Lovely.

Anywho, they have lots of quotes but they don't provide a link to the original article, so I can't really check the integrity of their quotes.

But here's a quote direct from an EPA press release. The EPA doesn't mandate that fluoride be added to water, it's a local issue:

Wrong. Yes they do. I stated EPA scientists were against fluoridation. Here is a quote from the vice-president of EPA’s scientific union when he testified against fluoridation.

Our union is comprised of and represents the professional employees at the headquarters location of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington D.C. Our members include toxicologists, biologists, chemists, engineers, lawyers and others defined by law as "professionals." The work we do includes evaluation of toxicity, exposure and economic information for managements use in formulating public health and environmental protection policy.

I am not here as a representative of EPA, but rather as a representative of EPA headquarters professional employees, through their duly elected labor union. The union first got involved in this issue in 1985 as a matter of professional ethics. In 1997 we most recently
    voted to oppose fluoridation. Our opposition has strengthened since then. Link

I'm getting my facts and figures together when I have them all Ill be back to you, if you are going to start name calling and accusing me of willyfully including misleading links and information then I suggest you get your facts straight before you do.Ill reply to the rest of your post in detail when Im ready.The CDC and ADA did make those statements but have sinced changed their position for whatever reason. Also, if you are feeling sick I suggest you take something for it, Ill be back to you in due course.

Will you link to original documents and studies please? I'm not wading through bullsh*t scaremongering websites to try and verify what they publish.

Will probably respond to your stuff tomorrow

Dave! wrote: »
    That article clearly says that they're talking about banning fluoride supplements -- tablets and chewing gum -- because "[t]hose products are used excessively and often abused", and "there are concerns that over-use of fluoride increases the risk of osteoporosis."

So what does that have to do with water fluoridation at 0.7 ppm? Nothing? Awesome.

Did you know that fluoridating the public water supply in belgium is somthing that never existed because they understand it to be immoral?

Did you know that the reason they clamped down on fluoride supplements is the same reason they dont put it in their tap water? Because its immoral and has negative health effects.

Did you know that this was back in 2002 when a fellow european government was taking fluoride out of its market because of health concerns of osteoporosis and here we are 9 years later still pumping vast amounts of the sh1t into our public water?

My point was, what disgracefully negligent governments we have had that have kept this pratice going even though all the other countries around them are putting a halt to it in all its forms (apart from uk ofc).

Are you saying that irish tap water is not used excessively and often abused? Are you out of your mind? The whole country washes themselves in it everyday, their clothes aswell. They ingest it every 5 mins, they put it in their tea and coffee and babies bottles. Its about the most used and abused substance in the country and its full of f**king fluoride.

So, when you compare us and the belgians, you can very clearly see which country is going to come down with osteoporosis and which is not.

Are there not supposed to be moderators on this site?. If someone posts something which is completely false and ignorant of the FACTS, as is the case with the individual above, should it not be removed so that those who are not well informed do not mistakenly take this rubbish for fact?.

Would you like to point out where I lied? Or is your comment just a sad attempt to undermine my argument? Do you have an argument of your own as to why fluoride is being put into our tap water while the other 97% - 98% of europe does not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Kadongy

I wanted a map of Ireland as I said. I found that map but there are far too many confounding variables to to a spatial analysis over the entire planet. Which is also obvious.

Heres an item from Austrailian news last year. It can be considered a direct parallel to the situation going on here. In fact, its almost completely identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBRBPgTOt0&feature=related

Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Cadmium, Lead, Copper, Mercury are some of the substances added over there.

I was reading another fluoride thread over on the dental forums, some guy said he had a buddy who worked in a water treatment plant and that they are adding all sorts for everything. The thread was then shut down, surprise surprise.

On my search to find out more about whats in our water other than hydrofluoric acid, I came across an old site that had analysis of a document obtained under the freedom of information act 1997.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~fluoridefree/campaign_update/albatros.htm

Some of the facts back then would be different now since a decent amount of time has passed, but its still very relevent since there has been no systematic changes or reform since.

The facts are;

The fluoride added to our water is waste fertilizer from holland. Nowadays it may come from Spain. The importers of this are Albatros Fertilizers Ltd., New Ross, County Wexford. It is contaminated with lead, arsenic and antimony (feeling sick yet?). You can check the link for a more detailed breakdown of the chemicals.

This is from a FFA document in 1997, does this mean this was going on in 1997 or does it mean it just got released then? Either way, how can such information be accessed about what goes in our tap water right now in 2011? If anyone can find any juicy links or reports that have evaded me please feel free to share.

Also, the National Health Federation of Ireland, a non profit organization, is making a move on the issue. They have the support of some TDs and organisations. They had a letter published in the examiner which I pasted on page 4 and they have done a few talks on the matter.
    http://www.thenhfireland.com
    One of their speakers Walter Graham has a very informative presentation posted on the site.

People should contact their newly elected TD via letter or email and ask that 1) The issue is raised in the dail and 2) That they give their support to the NHF Ireland's initiative to remove toxic waste material from irish public water supplies so that the industry can dispose of their own waste properly instead of using irish people as toxic trash canisters for their own economic ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Heres an item from Austrailian news last year. It can be considered a direct parallel to the situation going on here. In fact, its almost completely identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBRBPgTOt0&feature=related

Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Cadmium, Lead, Copper, Mercury are some of the substances added over there.

I was reading another fluoride thread over on the dental forums, some guy said he had a buddy who worked in a water treatment plant and that they are adding all sorts for everything. The thread was then shut down, surprise surprise.

On my search to find out more about whats in our water other than hydrofluoric acid, I came across an old site that had analysis of a document obtained under the freedom of information act 1997.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~fluoridefree/campaign_update/albatros.htm

Some of the facts back then would be different now since a decent amount of time has passed, but its still very relevent since there has been no systematic changes or reform since.

The facts are;

The fluoride added to our water is waste fertilizer from holland. Nowadays it may come from Spain. The importers of this are Albatros Fertilizers Ltd., New Ross, County Wexford. It is contaminated with lead, arsenic and antimony (feeling sick yet?). You can check the link for a more detailed breakdown of the chemicals.

This is from a FFA document in 1997, does this mean this was going on in 1997 or does it mean it just got released then? Either way, how can such information be accessed about what goes in our tap water right now in 2011? If anyone can find any juicy links or reports that have evaded me please feel free to share.

Also, the National Health Federation of Ireland, a non profit organization, is making a move on the issue. They have the support of some TDs and organisations. They had a letter published in the examiner which I pasted on page 4 and they have done a few talks on the matter.
    http://www.thenhfireland.com
    One of their speakers Walter Graham has a very informative presentation posted on the site.

People should contact their newly elected TD via letter or email and ask that 1) The issue is raised in the dail and 2) That they give their support to the NHF Ireland's initiative to remove toxic waste material from irish public water supplies so that the industry can dispose of their own waste properly instead of using irish people as toxic trash canisters for their own economic ends.
    Not much answer to that really!

This thread shouldn't be in CT imo. The conversation is about whether Ireland's drinking water should continue being fluoridated. Not that much has been said suggesting CT really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Hi, since you have put so much time and energy in to this subject then wouldn't it be a great idea for you to document all of this evidence in writing, links etc and video footage and send it in to the Department of Health marked urgent either by courier or registered post and let us know what reply if any that you receive? Send it to the Minister James Reilly. It can't do any harm anyway. The smell of chlorine and other chemicals in the water here and in Meath is pretty noticeable. Chlorine ions I heard also damage our DNA every time we bathe or shower in them. Tap water even when boiled or filtered with a cheap jug filter tastes foul. People should always be vigilant and keep an open mind. Ozonation of the water at both ends of the process is recommended instead. Fluoridated water is in sodas and beers also. :)

Advertisement